Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

June 26 - What have you done to prep today?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: June 26 - What have you done to prep today?
    Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:00am
Lets keep our weekly update going, please. I found it personally very helpful to keep me focused. Thanks to all
pregnantw/#1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pregnantw/#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 10:39am
I'm organizing the supplies I bought yesterday in a huge plastic bin and refining my to do/to get list.

I copy/pasted several articles and posts from here and other sources and will take out all the items I'm missing and add it to our master list.

We started by getting the baby supplies first for 0-6 months and some clothes good till 9months. Carseat/boppy and linens/meds/teething + medical kit.

Then the tools/supplies (masks/poncho/eyewear/gloves + crank radio/tv/flahlight  + batteries + collapsable water containers + clothing line + portable toilet + first aid kit + patio locking device + no rince shampoo/bodywash + alcohol + disenfectant/detergents + baby delivery kit..ect.)

Curently we are picking up things we missed from the above two categories and refining the food/water/meds/hygiene master list.

We have 2 weeks of food always available and then in 2 weeks we will pick up the 3 month supply and what is left on the master list.

Today I am organizing what we have and working on the master list.  The master list is broken into 3 categories:

1) Section 1 is food/water/items listed under each store:

Master List:

*buy foods that expire AUG 07+, eat and replace at 6 month mark

GRAINS

9 OZ.

6 OZ.

VEGETABLES

3.5 CUPS

2.5 CUPS

FRUITS

2 CUPS

2 CUPS

MILK

3 CUPS

3 CUPS

MEAT/BEANS

6.5 OZ.

5.5 OZ.

OIL

8 TSP

6 TSP

WATER

1 GAL.

1 GAL.

Henry’s:

Thorne Basic Prenatal

Resveratrol

Trader Joes:

Applesauce

Peanut Butter

Multigrain Crackers

Instant Breakfast Powder

Dairy Free Alfredo Sauce

Dairy Free canned Food

Rice Dream Milk

Jam

Costco:

(Baby)

Wipes (another case)

Diapers – size 2

Pedialyte

Baby Vitamins

Formula (8)

(Water – food)

Large Purified Water Bottles  

Canned Chicken, Salmon

Canned Meats

Cranberry Juice

Turkey/Beef jerky

Dry cereal or granola

Brown Rice

... ect.

2) Section 2 is just started and is a what to do before/during list:

To Do List:

Before Avian Flu

- keep tank full & use the steering wheel lock

- have an escape backpack prepared

- organize/store supply

- store an extra fuel supply w/funnel

- have walky talkies available and test crank radio

- have cash available

- emergency number list

- test preps

When News Breaks Out

- fill up collapsible water containers, tub and all pots (for cooking rice ect.)

- lock up patio/front door

3) Section 3 will be a menu so we have a good idea of how much to buy out of the food list.

All 3 sections are based on information from others and things I've found online that would be useful.

I also have a binder full of printed articles on How To's for cleaning and what to use during an emergency for various situations that may come up. I have books that will be useful for taking care of the baby and another one full of tips/tricks for organizing.
Blankstare View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankstare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 10:55am
I bought a seal a meal, and am in the process of sealing up everything that can be stuffed in a bag (bag failure rate 1 in 8)....

i also got

a ruger 10/22, 9 mag's and 4 bricks of ammo, they got sealed up also, the spam storeage box works good at holding 400 rnd's and not puncturing the baggie.....

plywood cut to fit over the windows with plyclips to lock them into place....

a second katadyne water purifier

2 torch sparkers from sears, good for lighting colman stovers, etc

5 g.i. 5 gal water cans

eye bolts, bicycle cables, locks good for door security

pine mulch for "dry" toilet

15 candles from IKEA.....they are cheaper that hurricane candles and last a long time

sugar, oatmeal, rice, beans, the usual stuff
ozjohn. View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 12:29pm
I find myself slipping in  extra small purchases of 1Kg of rice and 500g of pasta, cans of Spam, Muesli Bars,  etc, etc, etc,  These will eventually be given away to close family friends.

Family are on 'the list',  but friends are not,  but they will be assisted at minimum (subsistance) level.

OJ
Scout Motto:- "BE PREPARED"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 7:09pm
At work mentioned I was "freezing eggs" (and thanks to the forum members who taught me about this.)  Two doctors in the adjoining office immediately wanted to know how to do it.  So we had an impromptu lesson in home economics in the hallway.

By the way - I found if I sprayed the ice cube tray with Pam before pouring the beaten eggs in, they popped out without a problem. 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 8:57pm
Puppy food, kitty litter, everyday groceries and have about 25 bags of stuff sitting in the kitchen from shopping this weekend and I hope to get them organized tomorrow.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:22pm
I organized my cupboards and worked on my garden. The stores around me ran out of vegetable plants.

I planted carrot seeds today late but they will be ok for late fall.   I have tomatoes carrots peppers peas
beets/
I bought shampoe extra ,case of water, case of pop,

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 7:54pm
 my sister and i  planted more seed potatoes, and a 6 pack of basil, i make pesto sauce with it and freeze it. picking rasberries, but were eating them instead of  making jam with them. furture daughter in law is on board, she brought the largest bottle of hand sanitizer i ever saw and  biggest bottle of dish detergent.  i 'm running out of room here to plant and containers to plant in. i'm eyeing the next door neighbors yard, lol   on connecticut news station,   store enough water for 6 weeks, i didn't see this, my sister did, i'm glad it 's finnally on the local news about  bird flu  roxy
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:17pm
I haven't done much to prep for several weeks since my DD joined the Army & left for bootcamp ... I was worried sick, but I'm doing okay now cuz she says she's doing alright.  That Little Miz Firecracker wants to be an MP of all things??  But, I'm proud of her ...

Anyhow, I got back to those Farmer's Markets and their bulk food sections where I picked up several pounds of Farina (Cream of Wheat), Quick Oats, several types of nuts, raisins, craisins, some chicken broth (by the pound), 9-grain cereal which I mix with the cream of wheat ... and several other foods ...

These I just measure out and seal up with an oxygen packet, label it and put them into the appropriate bins.  It's great to get them by the pound, especially the chicken broth, they're so much less expensive than the one's you get off the grocery store shelves.

At Sams & Costco, got some paper products, several cases of drinking water (it's hot in the Phoenix/East Valley area), and various other food storage items (peanut butter, rice, breakfast cereals, juice, spices, pastas and canned goods).

Next week or two I'll be adding several more bags of wheat.  I'll also be making a run up to "Indian Country" for the "Navajo Summer Specials," 50-lb bags of "Bluebird" flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, coffee, can meat (Spam, corned beef), 50-lb potatoes, onions, cooking oil, coffee & canned/powdered milk. Maybe some melons and corn if any are ripe yet.  Just the basics my people survive on.
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:30pm
Sweetpea,

Is she still in bootcamp and which one (Sill?)  Do you know where she's doing AIT yet?  I'm in El Paso and most soldiers do AIT here.
K.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:43pm
Hi kr105 ... she's doing her MP trainin over in Ft Leonard Wood Missouri, they delayed her training 2 weeks waiting for the "class" to fill up so she isn't halfway thru the first 9wks ... seems she's looking forward to AIT, that's still about 3 - 4 weeks yet ... thanks for asking ...
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 5:10am

I worked on thermos cooking yesterday. I used hot tap water to practice with, but obviously you would have to adapt that without electricity.

Hard boiled eggs: While boiling the water, put 4 eggs into a wide mouth 4 qt thermos and fill with hot tap water. Carefully pour out the hot water and replace with boiling water. Let sit 1 hour.

White Rice: Warm thermos with hot tap water while boiling water. Drain water from thermos. Put in 1 cup white rice and 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Let sit 2 hours.

Potatoes and carrots: Cut up a potato and a carrot. Put in thermos with hot tap water to warm. Drain and pour in boiling water. Let sit two hours.

I'm still working on the brown rice. It came out like mush left overnight. I put pancake mix in a baggy and baked a pancake, but now the thermos is ruined and leaks :-0
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:13am
Sweetpea, your daughter picked my old MOS!! Yeah. Seriously, is AIT still at Ft. McClellan, AL or someplace else? Tell her I said "Hi" and if she wants to talk I'll give you my e-mail. Good for her!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 6:40pm

Hi everybody,

For the past several weeks I have been gathering a lot of information.  It became messy.  I decided to organize the materials I have accumulated in connection with the Avian Flu  and discard what is not needed. 

All this information is in my computer.  I realize that there may be a point where the electricity may fail, so I started making hard copies of what I want to keep.  Also, since I am the only one preparing in a family of six, if anything happens to me, my children will know where things are .

I just bought a three-ring binder and dividers.  I will organize the copies by subject and will place them behind the appropriate divider.  This is a work in progress and I am sure I will change some things, but I started labeling some of the dividers as follows:

RECIPES
I have copy/pasted several recipes found in this forum and other sites in the Internet that use canned goods, etc.

INSTRUCTIONS
How to use ambu bags on adults and children
How to use a bed pan (how to roll the patient, etc.)
How to use vinegar (dozens of uses)
How to place a mask on children, how to clean the masks ( bought Nano Masks), etc.
How to take care of an influenza patient at home
How to treat flours, pasta, etc.,  to avoid bugs

FIRST AID
Step by step cardiovascular resucitation - adult and child
Step by step assistance to choking victim
Step by step assistance to injured persons, such as broken limbs, etc.
(I just took the Red Cross First Aid Class)

INVENTORY - OTHER THAN FOOD
Lists of boxes in numerical order, identifying their contents and the location of the box
Alphabetical list of all the items in the boxes - for quick reference
(I had to put the items in boxes and store the boxes in closets, the attic, etc. - My tiny apartment is sooo crammed by now)

INVENTORY OF FOOD ITEMS
Alphabetical list of all items
List describing where items are located (I live in a tiny apartment and it helps a lot to know that a certain item is on shelf #1 or 2, etc.)
Expiration date list - this helps me rotate and replace the items which expiration dates are coming due.

FACTS
Everything I have gathered regarding the Avian Flu

Kee up the good work! 

Grandma

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:04pm

Hi All,

I'm off for several days and have a bunch of chores lined up like putting up new shelves along the back wall of the garage for water storage. 

Got a great idea from the IKEA catalog:  put a type of curtain over the top of the shelves to hid the contents from view.  I'm going to use plain cotton and just staple it to the top edge of the wooden sheves and on the metal and plastic ones - use a piece of dowleling with a home-made curtain, and prop it on the top.

Last but not least, I'm hauling everything into one area and re-organizing and putting on date of purchase (month/year)  with a sharpie on all the cans.  THen updating the computer inventory.  Since I only started prepping last month this is an easy one!

I hope you all have a great 4th of July!

K.

PS:  Sweetpea -- tell your daughter "This too shall pass"  They always warn you about boot camp but forget about AIT/MOS Training which can be worse.  Once she's done with it, she can expect Army life to get a lot better!  Let me know if she heads to Bliss.  K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:48pm
Quote Got a great idea from the IKEA catalog:  put a type of curtain over the top of the shelves to hid the contents from view.  I'm going to use plain cotton and just staple it to the top edge of the wooden sheves and on the metal and plastic ones - use a piece of dowleling with a home-made curtain, and prop it on the top.

Last but not least, I'm hauling everything into one area and re-organizing and putting on date of purchase (month/year)  with a sharpie on all the cans.

I hung a homemade curtain on the front of my shelves, too, using a dowel rod and cup hooks. Big smile  It works great.  My shelves are in my kitchen/dining room (it's one large room), and they're visible from the living room.  The curtain makes it look a lot neater, plus keeps my supplies from being seen by anyone standing at the front door.

I'm dating my stuff too, but I'm putting the expiration dates instead of purchase dates.  The expiration dates printed on the products by the manufacturer are small and sometimes hard to find.  I can see my date labels at a glance. Smile

sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:40pm
Hey kr105 and FemVet ... thanks for the shout out ...
She hasn't said anything about going elsewhere for AIT, guess we'll be find out soon enough ... she's countin' down the days, as are we ... going thru FTX training now, and getting ruffed up abit - she's only 5'1 ...

Back to the board ...
Went down to Fry's and got some extra eggs (88-cent 18 ct), hoping to beat and freeze them.  LOL that sounds wicked!  Anyhow, for 2-egg scrambled eggs or omelets, they work out fine - as well as for recipes callin for 2 beaten eggs.

Also picked up some canned meats, fruit juices, SunnyDelite for the summer (88 cents at Frys), some peanut butter. 

I still need to finish my solar "box" cooker and try that out ... but as hot as it is here in the valley, I'm afraid everything might just cook too fast ... we're in the low hundreds now ...

The prepared pantry had an article how to bake bread in your gas BBQ (they also have a booklet you can print out for emergency baking) ... so, I'm thinking of giving the "diabetic" bread recipe floatin' round here a whirl and see how it turns out (my dad's Type 2) and I may just end up doing all my baking in my gas grill - woohoo!!  Wonder if Dutch ovens bake bread loaves??

Way to go annika and kr105 ... I really need to reorganize everything and rethink my place here ... I'm starting to spill over into the living areas as well ... Embarrassed!!
Annie4 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 7:54pm
I had a really productive 2 days!  I visited 2 different grocery stores and added to my stock of fruits and vegetables.  I also purchased more evaporated milk.  I've revised my supply notebook to include more categories so I can make entries and deletions easily.  Purchased a new set of shelves for the basement and reorganized my supplies for the 3rd time.  I've found that as the supplies grow, I need to rethink my organization.  Now, I have a separate closet for my baking supplies, have put my cereal in the freezer, and have grouped can goods by food group.  I also have a shelf in my closet where I put anything that is expiring within 6 months regardless of what it is and I will use that stuff first.  I like the idea of the curtain that I've seen mentioned above. I may work on that one tomorrow.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 8:17pm
Hi All,

I don't remember who on the forum suggested it, but I went to "Cash and Carry" today.  WOW!!!

While not all of the prices were great (Albertson's 10 for 10 sale beat them on several products) it was still a worthwhile shopping trip.

This warehouse does not require you purchase the entire carton on all products.  Sometimes they have a carton open and you can purchase just one item. 

They also had a lot of professional products that just don't make it to the supermarket shelves and in the bakery supplies aisle, I was able to pick up a KnoxBerry Farm fruit desert topping jug.  They had it in strawberry (with strawberries that were cut in half in the filling) and pineapple.   I can't wait to try it out!

Thanks again for the suggestion -- I plan on going there every few weeks for more supplies.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 8:21pm
I bought a small portable barbeque . I am paying off bills this month so that next month I can prep with less stress and finacial worries.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 4:08am

I have tried to think of everything. Today I finished putting together a large container with 3 changes for a sick bed; starting with plastic sheets (instructions to rinse and sun at change), sheets, a blanket, shop towels to throw over pillow to be changed often then thrown in a 5 gallon bucket with a Vinegar water solution (left in room) Vinegar kills bacteria and will also adsorb smoke if one is using a wood heater; included a can of Lysol, ideas for isolation, using N-95 masks and Latex gloves and confining the virus to one room. There are a dozen zip lock bags with bath clothes (handy) and a bottle of alcohol which I thought might be used to pour enough alcohol in the bags to wet the clothe and use to wipe a feverish patient (I don't know if this will work...just an idea..) suggested a fan pulling out if possible...along with large typed instruction placed on top of goods before closing. What did I forget?
Then there is the sick table setup to consider and instruction on my remedies. Elderberry Tincture & Penicillin, homemade chicken soup, white grape juice and other herbal solutions. I do not wish to go to a hospital, school or die under a tent.
Should I start another thread?
Good luck to all.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 6:39am
I went through the local paper and found all the good sales .I bought 3 monthes worth of tp .lol talk about getting strange looks.I dont think they like me at the dollar store I buy up all of the good mac n cheese because its 3 for a dollar . Im still working on the water situation.Theve fixed it to where if the power goes off it is switched over to town water.which may help me alot.Theres been 2 pages in the local paper about  H5N1 so mabe the locals will get there act togather.Our local EMTs are supost to start training in august I think.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 8:47pm
 Hi Gramdma, what is an ambu  bag?  Thanks.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 8:49pm
  Hi Maysday, you have some great ideas, I will be using some of them.  Thanks a lot.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 7:02am
 hi to all, ambu bag is for CPR, if you don't know  how to do CPR, don't use one, take a course ,at the red cross, they also have  a first aid course. also i believe they don't use alcohol for fevers any more, dries the skin, and can bring  the fever down too fast ,that may cause convulsons. i put cool/wet face clothes ,behind the neck and in the  arm pits. and change them when they get warm.  roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 5:10pm
Carolina,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I hope the town water hook up saves your sanity (and privacy!)

K.l
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2006 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Mississipp Mama Mississipp Mama wrote:

Hi Gramdma, what is an ambu  bag?  Thanks.

Hi, Mississippi Mama,

An ambu bag is a self reinflating bag used during resuscitation.  It has a mask attached to a clear balloon-like bag.  You press the bag with your hand and assist a person in his/her breathing.  I did not know anything about this until I started reading and learning.  One of my grandbabies has asthma and I thought a bag like this would help in case his breathing would become compromised.  You can find instructions on  how to use it and some graphics at: http://www.sph.unc.edu/oce/phnceac/babyguide/ambu.pdf

I read later that if the person is in really bad shape you would really get exhausted doing this because you have to press the balloon-like bag by hand every few seconds for long periods of time.  I'll take my chances.  I have one ambu bag for babies and one for adults.  I hope I do not have to use either, but I prefer to have them handy, than not to have any.  I understand that there is a way to attach an oxygen supply to the ambu bag, but I just got the ambu bags by themselves.  If I recall correctly, I paid about $26.00 each.  I got them from the Internet.

I hope this helps.

Grandma
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2006 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Grandma Grandma wrote:

[QUOTE=Mississipp Mama] Hi Gramdma, what is an ambu  bag?  Thanks.

Oh, I forgot to add that I recently took the Red Cross CPR course.  That, eventually,  made me think about the Ambu Bags (I saw the term on the Internet and did some research).  I figured that if I, or any adult in my family has to provide CPR to any family member that may have become ill with the flu it is best not to have direct contact (mouth to mouth) with the ill person.  In addition to the Ambu Bags I also got a couple of one-way valve shields to give "protected" CPR in case it would be (unfortunately) necessary.  The Red Cross sells individual kits that you may carry with you for emergency use, other than Avian-Flu related.

Thanks to all for all the great ideas.

Happy Fourth of July !!!!

Grandma
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 7:50am
Originally posted by sweetpea sweetpea wrote:

I haven't done much to prep for several weeks since my DD joined the Army & left for bootcamp ... I was worried sick, but I'm doing okay now cuz she says she's doing alright.  That Little Miz Firecracker wants to be an MP of all things??  But, I'm proud of her ...

Hi Sweetpea,

My son went to bootcamp at Fort Leonard Wood what seems like a century ago, but it is just a few years back.  I went to see him twice.  They make those boys and girls work very, very hard, but they all seemed to come out of that experience stronger and leaner.  One thing that my son told me after he came back is that they really, really appreciate having news from home - cards, letters, etc., every day, even if it is just a little note.  It keeps them connected.

My best wishes to you and your daughter.  May this experience strengthten and make you both very proud.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:07am
I am still a month away from being able to afford to prep so I am still just spending 20.00 a week only . I think I will concentrate my spending to hard to get items . I rarly see parmalte milk and will buy can milk and coffee flour .    
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 8:54pm
  Hi Deanna, I really admire you, please keep up the good work.  You are going to be amazed at how your prepps will grow.  I am sending lots of good energy your way.
gretchen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 11:12pm
Just getting started.  Today I visited Dollar General and bought soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, trash bags, and soup.  I live in a rural area, have a well and don't want to worry about cooking. 
My biggest concern is water.  I can't even flush the toilet if the electricity is lost. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 11:36pm
i took some advice from everyone and went to yard sales this weekend. i was supprised to see how far 35.00 would go. im very pleased to report that we now have a porta potty, shower chair, a walker with wheels, solar shower, and 3 storage shelves for can goods. thanks for the info. next payday, 2 weeks, ill go again.
ozgirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 2:30am
Just wanted to say Hi I am in Western Australia and are prepping although I don't know anyone else that is or even knows much about BF here.  There is never anything on the news and we have no displays in shops for prepping items ie masks etc I am flying blind and appreciate all the good tips you guys put forward, I have just started prepping and have brought lots of tea lights and matches to cook beans etc in fondue pot and have brought cases of tinned tuna and salmon, food is a lot more expensive in Aus than USA, we pay about $20.00 a kg for steak so therefore prepping is harder as all food is really expensive but will keep you posted
loving life in Oz
liilac View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liilac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 6:28am
    Hello Ozgirl and welcome!! Prepping in Western Australia too!!Yae!!!There are others out there!!!What area are you in? We are in Perth.
liilac
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Mississipp Mama Mississipp Mama wrote:

Hi Deanna, I really admire you, please keep up the good work.  You are going to be amazed at how your prepps will grow.  I am sending lots of good energy your way.

What a kind thing to say, I do beleive that positive energy can be felt.

ozgirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2006 at 6:22pm
Hi Liilac we are in Perth too in the Southern Suburbs, I am glad I am not the only one worried about this DH and everyone else think that I am crazy and I was starting to wonder if I am, I just cannot believe others are not taking this seriously, my DH is American and we were there not long ago I Saw the displays in stores etc for BF and nothing here in WA, I am worried if TSHTF that living in the suburbs we are going to be in for a lot of unrest among those who havent prepared, we are currently planting a vegetable garden and DH is really involved in that building planter boxes etc and planting veges and fruit trees so he is unaware of his help prepping hehe
loving life in Oz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic