Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

possible water problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: possible water problem
    Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:30am
Ok heres the situation we provide water to about 8 houses besides our own.I was asking my husband what we could do if the shtf and we had no power we could carry water up from the reservoir but it would be really rough because its all up hill .We have 2 options hand pump or generator.I would like to go with a generator but im wondering how long we would have to run it long enough to provide water to all 9 houses.We wont recieve any help from any of the other familys and no they dont pay us anything.They drive me crazy if the power goes out or if theres a problem with the water.How can we be sure they will keep their distance if the shtf?hubby sugested a hand pump and that I pump the water for everyone grrrr.like I would have time or would want to.Ive got a family of 5 to take care of cook,clean,laundry etc..
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:40am
hand pump water for 9 houses, you will be standing there at the pump all day. will they have to come to get it? or will you deliver? i don't mean to get nosey, but why are you responsible, in the deeds? of the houses?,and power failure is not you fault. roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:54am
Its my husbands extendend family cousins great uncles etc.How long would you have to run a generator?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:06am
Remember.. a generator=gas. You'd have to have so much gas to keep that thing running for that many people. And how could you regulate/monitor their water consumption/use during a time of crisis... And it would have to be one powerful generator to do the job for everyone.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:07am
 I don't know how long to run a generator to run the water , but what happens when you can;t get gas to run the generator? the gas pumps run on electricty. and the gas stations have to be open. .  i would try looking the threads on water, generators,electricty. or some one will see this thread and give you an answer. what do they do if you are away? some body has to come out to do a little research on why no water.  i have a generator , and will run it twice a day to keep  the refrigerator cold. till the gas runs out , good luck, roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:11am
If we are not here they come into my home to check the pump in the basement and into my yard to check the power.Sometimes they come in while in here with out even knocking if the basement door isnt locked.Disapprove
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:17am
"If we are not here they come into my home to check the pump in the basement and into my yard to check the power.Sometimes they come in while in here with out even knocking if the basement door isnt locked"

That would just drive me crazy!!! Angry
How do you put up with that??
And what are you going to do if the SHTF?
Sorry to say, carolina kid, but I feel you'll have to set up some rules and guidelines if it comes to that... Unless your entire extended family is quarantined together.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:23am
 I had visions of you on some hill top pumping away in the cold wind for nine houses, lol  i would get a hand pump, send a letter to the nine houses, !} have you own water containers.2} pump you own3} and don't come upstairs , due to social isolation4}, the buddy sytem for the elderly in the group 5{ put in the letter infro on bird flu, send the letter , when you think they still have time to get water containers, or when you can discuss bird flu with them good luck roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:37am

The reservoir is about a quarter mile down hill theres a road but its to rough for even a 4 wheel drive so its either a generator or pack saddles for my horses.lol There are some renters in the houses but most are my husbands 3 great uncles and his great aunt and his 3 or 4th cousins.None of them want town water because they would have to pay for it.Confused

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 11:50am
Hi Carolina

You've earned your angel wings kiddo. 

Frankly, if it were me, I would:
1) Put locks on ALL the doors
2) Add an alarm system - they open it, it blares!  (Can be the battery ones)
3) Tell them all they have two choices:  Town water or drill a well
4) Tell your husband his "honey do" list just got longer to include pumping himself (lets see just how he likes it.) 
5)  Stage a drill -- no power -- let him to the pumping.

That should take care of that one real fast.  Enough is enough. 

Girl, it's time to put your foot down and give that man an ultimatium.  He can either solve this problem NOW or he can consider some drastic changes to his life/marital status.  You did not sign up to be the family slave and you're not chattel or a squaw (carting water on horseback)  Please!  Get his lazy ass moving.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 11:54am
kr105, you took the words right out of my mouth. Clap

Sorry, carolina kid, but sometimes bluntness works. And, kr105 is right, I thought I heard wings (and they weren't bird wings, lol!) Wink
Irene View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:34pm
Have you considered talking to your husband's relatives about your concerns?
VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:36pm
c.k., Does the pump supply water to a tank at your place and then use gravity feed or a pressure tank to supply all the others?  Or does the pump itself supply the water to every different home?  (It probably doesn't matter much either way, but I'm curious.)

Assumptions:

5 gallons per minute pump rate (very conservative estimate);

2.5 gallons of water needed per person per day (assuming that sacrifices would be made--no car washing, no watering lawns, rare-to-no tub baths, no running the washing machine, etc).

Running pump for 15 minutes would supply 30 people, for example.  (This assumes that everything could be coordinated at the same time, and that everyone can store their day's supply of water somewhere.) 

Generator can run for about 10 hours on 5 gallons of gas. 

Using these estimates, if you used a generator only to run the pump, you could go over a month on a 5 gallon can of gas. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 1:32pm
I dont mind helping out some of the elders but the ones that are younger and capable is where I draw the line.The pump is down at the reservoir its a huge stainless steel tank it goes to a pressure tank in the basement.Im not even sure how many people there are Confused.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:11pm
I would simply tell them if the power goes out they will have to connect to the city line as it impractical to pay for a generator and not doable at all.

The cost of the gas if you could get it would make the cost of simpliy paying for the water cheap.

I am shy and sometimes have a hard time saying things but Ive learn to say it fast and nicely I can get away with it. Id start off with how sorry you are to say this but you looked into it and if the power goes off there is no way of pumping the water.

In the end make no attempts to find a answer to the solution other than to tell them they need to connect to the town water.

Then say it with and charm and sweetness , it kills the chance of making you feel guilty. If I had a southern accent it would work perfectly

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:23pm
Daaaaarlingggggggggg  will you have a well put here at  the house for me????Unhappy If mama is happy--------------Wink

(Yes there is a little devilment in me.)

Get a generator and a handpump backup. have a pully system to get water up the hill.

God bless
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:52pm
You could connect your house to city water, and hand over responsibility for the other houses to their occupants. That would move them off square one. You are basically facilitating a co-dependent relationship. As long as you allow yourself to be used as the "water slave," they will continue to do so. It's just too easy for them.

Otherwise, I hate to say this, but you have some serious boundary issues. No outsider should be allowed in your house at will, without your permission. What are you, a convenience store? They should be looking after their own needs. Helping the old folks is one thing, but able-bodied adults? Never.

Time to abdicate your position!
If all is not lost, where is it?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:57pm
Redcloud we would but the water is on our property and the other houses are closer to town. In order to go to the reservoir everyone must go through our front yard. I agree its not a good situation but surely there is  a solution.
ImmuneConcerned View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImmuneConcerned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:17pm
How deep is the well?  Believe I saw some solar devices for getting well water up on one of the solar threads.   I think they are more common for  wells that aren't too deep.   I believe you can get one for deep wells too but cost goes up.   Raise the rent to get solar back-up?
ImmuneConcerned
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:30pm
Carolina, offer them  this-- Each household will have to put in $500 for a generator or hook up to city water. That would give you plenty to buy a generator and gas storage. Tell  them the generator will run 1/2 hour a day if shtf. Hooked up to city water they would have water all the time.  Their choice.  

Of course if the city water went off big trouble.

I have not heard how big the pump is or other electrical needs. I assume you will want electricity at the house too.  I put off digging a trench 400 ft to hook my well to the house generator and the wire prices tripled in the meantime.

I also have not heard what your husband opinion is about this all. Like others have said- turn the problem over  to him. Honey dear do you want to sleep with your uncles or in this house with me????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:36pm
oldasrocks I explained to my hubby if the shtf and we had no power I would be quiet busy with cooking and hand washing clothes  not to mention taking care of 3 kids and 5 horses that I would not have time to do the hand pump so he understands and says we should get a genarator.
cats View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:51pm
We have a generator (with a large extra gas tank), but DH just found a hand pump that works with your existing electric pump (he thought it had to be one or the other) and some sort of solar pump.  He found it doing a google search. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:26pm

I would suggest you have a drill just do not tell your extended relatives it is a drill.   Shut the electricity off to the pump and run it off a generator for like 3 days.  Tell them whatever, there is an electrical problem, tell them the electrician told you it could be a fire hazard and to not try to run it until he checks wiring or something, leave the power off to it for 3 days and force them to see what it is like to run it off a generator for the drill period.  Oh, and make sure you "run" out of gas and go down to see if you can borrow any from the other 8 houses to run the generator.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 5:24pm
A generator will not be a reliable as city water and you do need to set bondaries.

If your plans are to run a generator and the power is out for a month or two you would only have enough gas to run the generator a week or so. And even then that generator could make your life more conveinant and bearable for your children.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 5:40pm
Chloe,

You are priceless!   I love that idea.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 5:59pm
CArolina tell the hubby that you will be so busy you need a 2nd husband to get all the chores done.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:03pm
Search for a horse powered wash machine and water pump. Just as well let them hayburners earn their keep.. Get a walker and  belt it to an alternator. Wire that into the house. Have the kids walk the horses around  to power it. jeez do I have to learn ya everything????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic