Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Beans hard to digest?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beans hard to digest?
    Posted: July 06 2006 at 7:57am
I have heard many on the forum say that after eating beans they were either uncomfortable or down right miserable, so when I found this I knew I had to post it. Good luck to all in your prepping. Jo

DIGESTION OF LEGUMES

Some people have a problem digesting beans, claiming bloating or flatulence. Cooking the beans in the soaking water can be responsible for this annoyance.

A very few individuals have a sensitivity to all legumes: beans, peas, lentils, garbanzo beans, etc, causing diarrhea. They should not eat any legumes, including bean sprouts, soy oil or products containing soy proteins. The symptoms are almost instant diarrhea, or a slight episode after ingesting a small amount of soy oil, flour, or "textured" soy protein from a "packaged," ready to cook box of prepared food. Frozen TV dinners almost always contain soy oil. Virtually all mayonnaise is made from soy oil. So "let the buyer read the ingredients" - carefully!

A simple reason for "normal" symptoms of "gas" after eating a meal of beans is the following: some persons who seldom eat dry beans in their meals may feel the temporary effects of an overload of B vitamins. Legumes are a rich source of the B complex family. The unwanted symptoms will quickly disappear once beans are a part of the regular diet.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 4:27pm

That's why you don't cook beans in the soaking water. Needs fresh water, cooked low and slow, add a touch of soda.

We do need to start incorporating some some of those foods now, while we can figure out if we have allergies and how to deal with them.

Good warning!

sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 6:21pm
In my opinion, I've found that adding soda doesn't always help.  If your beans are old ... you will have a problem "softening" them.  These beans WILL STAY HARD AND TOUGH! so you may as well grind it as bean flour, or "can" them.

One suggestion is to "sprout" your beans before you cook them, and cook as directed.

Beans just need a good presoaking to soften them.  This is "my version" which begins the day before.  Place presorted beans in a stainless steel bowl, boil water and add to the beans and cover with lid.  Let soak until water is cooled, and empty cool water.  Do another boiling hot water bath for overnight, and in the morning drain the cooled water.  Your beans (if they're not old beans) should be quite soft and ready to cook.  I cook mine as crockpot chili for supper, yum. 

#1 ... old beans usually stay hard and tough no matter how long you soak!  Better to pressure can it or grind it up for flour.
#2 ... Use "newer" beans and a good presoak  or ...
#3 ... sprout your beans before cooking

"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 6:32pm
try adding a teaspoon of meat tenderizer (papaine) to the water you cook in and add less salt. I have used this with good results on old beans. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 7:16pm
Thanks all for great suggestions.  I'm going to try them over the weekend to see if it helps.  (I'm one of the "I can't believe I ate that stuff and feel this horrible" crew.)

K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:11pm

Sweetpea, how can you tell when your eans are old? Any visual cues? TIA

Jo, gotta get meat tenderizer!! Thanks

sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 7:37pm
How I usually tell is that the old beans are a darker color than newer, fresher beans ...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 10:24am
Ive always heard that adding a potato to your beans while cooking helps with the unpleasent side affects.
Pfwag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfwag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 8:19pm
If you want better digeastability AND a lot more nutrition, sprout your beans first.  Soak for 4-8 hours and then drain in a collander. COVER with a clean towel.  Water occasionally (how much depends on the relative humidity where you live) to keep the beans from drying out until the beans start sprouting.  When the sprout is about 1/4in long they are ready to cook.

Somewhere in a box out in the garage I have a book on the nutritional difference between bean seeds and sprouted seeds.  There is an amazing increase in various nutritional aspects when the seed sprouts.

Anybody have any on-line data?

The biggest advantage: sprouted beans make nearly gasless chili!  Try it and see.
Chesapeake View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chesapeake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 4:33am
VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:21am
I doubt that too many people can be seriously affected by beans.  Gasiness is a nuisance, and occasionally uncomfortable (or embarrassing), but it's not up there with real health problems.  But if you have any doubt, I would suggest finding out now, instead of when you are trapped in your house with 10 people and 2 tons of beans as your main food source.  The idea, anyway, is to eat what you are storing, to ensure rotation and freshness of supplies.

And the claim that the problems in beans are from B vitamins doesn't make sense; there are more B vitamins in a bowl of fortified cereal or a multivitamin pill.

As far as actually eating them:

1) If you introduce them into your diet gradually they tend to be better tolerated.
2) You can use Beano in the early stages to help further.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 2:18pm
pfwag ...

My SIL had told me that before, to sprout the beans before cooking them.  We were thinking that the beans become a semi-vegetable at that point!?  That could be that's why it doesn't create so much gasiness ~ and still get the same nutrients as well.  Never tried it but it is worth a try.

Anyhow, think I will can some plain old beans so if water or fuel issues ever come up ... wa-lah, I'll have mine already cooked up.  Also found a salad recipe using pinto beans and wild rice?  Would wild rice count to make this a complete ... was that protein or complex carb?  I know if you add rice, or maybe barley ... hmmm ... makes for something interesting to try ...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 12:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic