Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Can a microwave kill a virus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a microwave kill a virus
    Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:25pm
Does anyone know if a microwave could kill a virus?

I was thinking the other night - what about the mail?  In a pandemic, if we've isolated ourselves, I hat eto just abandon all mail.  but at the same time I don't want to have to "suit up" each day to open and read my mail Smile

So - what if I microwaved my mail? Would that do anything to a virus?

Silly question but.......

AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 7:25pm

It may kill the virus, but it may also set your mail on fire.  AMHIK  :)

TCharley300 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCharley300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 8:15pm
Some countries use irradiation to kill salminallia (unsure of spelling) in poultry. Russia is a good example of that with processed chickens. I can't remember if the US has adopted that policy or not.
TCharley 300
TCharley300 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCharley300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 8:16pm
As far as decontamination of your peronal mail, boil water and take some tongs and place the letters over the steam for about 3 minutes or so. That's safer than a microwave for non food product.
TCharley 300
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 8:23pm
Too funny!  LOL

Viral Transmission   http://highstrangeness.tv/articles/birdflu.php

The late scientist Jacques Benveniste discovered that he could record the electromagnetic signature of a drug, transmit it by Email and have someone play the signature through a speaker into water and the water would take on the characteristics of the drug. Since humans are mostly water, would transmitting the electromagnetic signature of a virus through a microwave signal into the human body cause an infection of the virus?

LOL

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 8:30pm
Just so you know I'm not making fun of the microwave question.  I've had that exact same thought about the mail so I went looking for information and found this funny .....

Thanksgiving Turkey Bird Flu Prevention Tips
Temporally realigned by admin on 2005/11/14 21:46:59 (5040 reads)

By Ion Zwitter, Avant News Editor
Duckbill, Wyoming, November 14, 2009

A comprehensive study performed by the American Turkey Council has concluded that Thanksgiving turkeys are "unlikely carriers of the avian flu, or bird flu, virus." According to the council, the chances of contracting avian flu by eating traditional Thanksgiving turkey are "probably less than one in four. At a typical eight-person family Thanksgiving gathering, that means that no more than two, Grandpa and Aunt Gertrude for example, will probably come down with the disease." Despite the relatively low risk, the United States Bureau of Consumer Alarm together with the Centers for Disease Control offer a few measures that can be taken to reduce one's chances of contracting bird flu from turkey:

A D V E R T I S I N G
< =text/> < ="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

Ten Tips for a Bird-Flu-Free Thanksgiving from the CDC and the Consumer Alarm Bureau

1) Begin your Thanksgiving turkey preparations by microwaving the bird for at least one hour at the maximum setting. The microwaves will destroy up to seventy percent of the avian flu virus. If your microwave is small, the Consumer Alarm Bureau recommends plunging it into the machine with a standard household toilet plunger. (Take the precaution of boiling the toilet plunger for three hours to kill any bacteria prior to using it on the turkey).

2) Some viruses can be eliminated with a standard shotgun blast. If you own a shotgun, prop the turkey up outside by, for example, impaling it on a tall pole, and blast it with both barrels. Be sure to extract any shotgun pellets with tweezers prior to cooking the turkey. (Note: When shooting in populated areas, please have the courtesy to warn your neighbors to duck first).

3) Cook the turkey in a standard or convection oven at 450 degrees for at least 22 hours. This will help kill off many of the remaining flu viruses that survived the microwave and the shotgun.

4) Some strains of the avian flu virus can be subdued through harmonious singing. If you believe the bird may still be infected by active viruses, sing gentle lullabies to the bird before serving. That will soothe the viruses to sleep, rendering them harmlessly inert until they have safely passed out through the digestive tract.

5) Tamiflu stuffing   can be just as effective as it is delicious! (Be sure to purchase Tamiflu early and avoid the Thanksgiving rush).

turkey
With reasonable precautions, Thanksgiving dinner need not be a last supper
6) Begin your Thanksgiving meal with a prayer to the Lord of your choice for protection from avian flu. (Note: Not applicable for residents of Dover, Pennsylvania). The ready.gov website provides several suitable prayers, or you can compose your own at home.

7) Offer non-essential guests or family members "first dibs" on the turkey. Watch carefully to see if they exhibit signs of avian flu before continuing with the meal.

8) When eating, chew each bite of turkey at least 30 times. Thorough and vigorous chewing can help destroy some of the larger remaining bird flu viruses. (Note: denture-wearers are advised to seek mastication assistance from the less dentally-challenged).

9) Disguise yourself and your Thanksgiving dinner guests as fish. There has as yet been no proof of successful bird-fish avian flu transmission.

10) Why not ostrich? Ostrich can make a delicious and economical alternative to Thanksgiving turkey. Try it with mint jelly and mashed potatoes. (Reminder: the head is suitable for use only as garnish).

We hope these simple consumer tips will help make your Thanksgiving a memorable, bird-flu-free success. And remember, if you do contract avian flu, contact your local National Guard citizen relocation/incineration center immediately.

Bon appétit!

Carving Turkey

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 8:41pm

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec2001/1008868658.Mi.r.html

Re: Cahttp://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec2001/1008868658.Mi.r.htmln the microwaving of the anthrax virus destroy it?

Date: Wed Dec 12 17:16:04 2001
Posted By: Alex Goddard, Grad student, Neuroscience, Harvard Medical School
Area of science: Microbiology
ID: 1004177340.Mi
Filiberto -

Good question! From what I can find, its seems that microwaving could kill anthrax spores (and most bacterial spores), but that this might not be an effective way to treat the mail. In the included link, the author tried microwaving a xerox copy of a paper with some pretty strange effects.

From what I recall, ultraviolet radiation is supposed to be used as an antibacterial in postal systems. That's what we use in our laboratories to kill unwanted bugs.

Some interesting links:
About microwave radiation as anti-bacterial:

http://www.scienceagogo.com/newsforum7/messages/447.shtml
http://www.engr.psu.edu/ae/wjk/mwaves.html
About UV radiation as an anti-bacterial: http://www.waterindustry.org/Water-Facts/ultraviolet-1.htm

Hope that helps!

Alex Goddard
cgoddard@fas.harvard.edu

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 8:44pm
Ultraviolet Light Zaps Bacteria
Updated 12:02 PM ET January 1, 2001

By SONJA BARISIC, Associated Press Writer

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - Two researchers say they have found a cheap, effective way to kill harmful microorganisms being spread by ships traveling around the world: Zap them with concentrated ultraviolet light.

The technique involves using a lamp that emits UV rays to kill disease-causing bacteria and other microorganisms found in ballast water within the hulls of cargo ships.

"We are tanning the bacteria to death," said Mounir Laroussi, an electrical engineering research professor at Old Dominion University.

Laroussi and Fred Dobbs, associate professor of oceanography at Old Dominion, worked for a year to create a reactor built around a specially designed UV lamp. They work in a laboratory at the Applied Research Center next to the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility.

They have done tests with a tabletop prototype on organisms including E. coli, Bacillus subtilis and dinoflagellates. All perished in the UV light.

The researchers declined to give many details because they are applying for patents and want to keep the information secret. But basically, the prototype works like this:

A Plexiglas chamber about a foot tall is filled with about a half-liter of water. The Plexiglas blocks the UV, preventing the rays from escaping from the cylinder.

A tube-shaped UV lamp is fitted into a protective sleeve, which is inserted into the chamber.

The lamp is turned on and kept on anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes; the length of the treatment varies depending upon the microorganisms present in the water.

At low doses, the UV light causes damage that prevents cells from replicating. Higher doses kill the cells, Dobbs said.

The device uses less than 300 watts of electric power per lamp and the lamp can be produced for about $7,000, the researchers said. Other more powerful, but less productive, sources cost more than that, they said.

"What we need to do is take half a liter of water up to the next step ... in order to be able to handle the tremendous volume associated with ballast water," Dobbs said.

Seagoing ships carry ballast water to keep the vessel floating right. When the cargo or the weather changes, ballast must sometimes be dumped.

Dobbs co-wrote an article in the Nov. 2 issue of the journal Nature that detailed how ballast water in the hulls of cargo ships traveling around the world is spreading harmful bacteria. (Marine ecologist Gregory Ruiz led that study at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in Edgewater, Md.)

Dobbs turned to Laroussi to help find a solution to the problem.

The UV light research was financed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 9:32pm
Er

technically a virus cant be killed because its not alive
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:05pm
Ermm  Now I'm confused.  I thought they were talking about live virus and dead virus in samples to be tested.  Can you please explain Confused
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:31pm
a virus is not a living organism

it can be viable so it can take over another cell

or it can be not viable where it cant

but they dont ever live only be viable
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:34pm
I was just being pedantic - sorry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 11:50pm
jofq, I don't know if it will but I don't plan to bring much mail into my house. I hope to pay bills on line or over the phone. I have another problem in that one of my little grandaughters loves to get the mail out of the box. Life as we know it, will have to change.
Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:56am
maysday

In Samoa in 1918 people got the flu through the mail - licking stamps and licking envelopes to seal them impregnanted the mail with virus - we dont need mail and it may break down

jofg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 5:39am
Thanks for all the replies!!  I agree that paying bills, etc can be done over the internet or via phone (assuming we have power and internet access and/or phone access Confused ).   I would hate to miss something important (an unremembered bill, a notificiation of this or that) that would come in the mail and then have legal problems to deal with after any self-imposed isolation.  Of course, staying alive is the #1 concern, but.....

THanks again for everyone's responses! 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 7:46am
Ok, Ok, I'll do the necessary experiment.......the mail lady cometh.

MK
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 7:58am
Kilt, I try to look on the bright side of everything. Perhaps, if we miss some mail it will be that junk we don't need anyway! I've always told my mail carrier's "do not risk your life over my mail." At the time I was thinking of tornadoes but it applies across the board. I will have to be away from the computer for a couple of days. Good luck to all.
jofg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Mary Kay Mary Kay wrote:

Ok, Ok, I'll do the necessary experiment.......the mail lady cometh.

MK

Thanks!  I'm traveling this week (which gives me more time to worry about stuff like this!) so I can't run the experiment myself  :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic