Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roche criticized for marketing tamiful to bussines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Roche criticized for marketing tamiful to bussines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roche criticized for marketing tamiful to bussines
    Posted: July 26 2006 at 7:28am
Roche criticized for marketing Tamiflu to businesses
Jul 25, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – Pharmaceutical maker Roche has drawn sharp criticism for promoting the sale of its antiviral drug oseltamivir (Tamiflu) to businesses while governments stockpiling the drug for defense against a possible flu pandemic wait to receive their own supplies, according to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle.

In releasing a pandemic planning guide for US businesses last week, the Swiss-based company said that "close to 60" companies had ordered Tamiflu in quantities ranging up to hundreds of thousands of treatment courses. The firm said its planning "Toolkit" provides guidance on how to buy and distribute the drug. Though government policies discourage personal stockpiling, the guide suggests that businesses can give Tamiflu to employees for storage at home.

In a story published Jul 23, the Chronicle quoted several medical and policy experts who criticized Roche's action, asserting that government orders for Tamiflu should come first.

"I think it is socially irresponsible," said Dr. Brian Johnston, a Los Angeles emergency physician and trustee of the California Medical Association, according to the story.

James Love, director of the Consumer Project on Technology, said he believes that Roche is giving corporations priority over governments because the corporations pay much more for the drug.

Businesses pay $61 per treatment course, a pack of 10 pills, while wealthy countries pay $19 and poor countries pay slightly less, according to the Chronicle.

The federal government has a stated goal of stockpiling enough antiviral drugs to treat 81 million people, or about 25% of the population, by 2008. But that includes a projected 31 million courses in state stockpiles, with the states paying 75% of the cost.

So far the federal stockpile contains 6.2 million treatment courses, with a total of 21.6 million expected by December, the newspaper reported, quoting federal officials.

Roche officials maintained that the criticism of the marketing program is unjustified, because the company has succeeded in boosting production sufficiently to assure that there will be enough Tamiflu for all customers, the story said.

The firm has made deals with 15 subcontractors to handle various parts of the production process. This will boost production capacity to 400 million treatment courses by the end of this year, the report said. Roche spokesman Terry Hurley in Nutley, N.J., told the newspaper the company currently has orders for "about half of that."

"Corporate orders are being filled within days," Hurley said. "Roche has ensured sufficient supply of Tamfilu to fill government orders, and there is adequate supply of Tamiflu to meet season demand."

Roche officials also defended their marketing effort as merely a way to help businesses protect their workers and to ensure that businesses can survive and help countries weather the pandemic, according to the Chronicle.

Holly Babin, a spokeswoman for the US Department of Health and Human Services, told the newspaper that federal policy does not specifically address whether corporations should buy their own Tamiflu supplies. But she said HHS still recommends against personal stockpiling of the drug.

VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:11pm
Gotta sell as much as possible as fast as possible, in case the pandemic comes soon (or in case word gets out that it's completely useless, instead of just much less effective than previously hoped.)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:38pm
OH I AM SO MAD.  How dare anyone criticize Roche for marketing to businesses.  I don't see a mad rush by our states to stockpile Tamiflu even though they have it available to them.  Why, in Colorado we are only purchasing some 6,000 courses of it.  If I was Roche and I knew the people needed it and the feds weren't going to help a lot, and the states seem to be thumbing their noses at it I would get it to the businesses which have been told to prepare.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 1:08pm
I disagree, cabinlass. This post is going to sound harsh, but I don't mean to direct it at you.

I don't understand all the factors driving the choices about how much each state or country planned to buy. At least initially it was said that availability played a role in the orders placed, with the understanding that the drug available for purchase had to be spread out according to population. Roche has clearly expanded production capacity, but it is not limitless. If Roche really had the best interests of people at heart, they would use their expanded production capacity to lower the price, if indeed it is a financial decision that drive the number of doses ordered. The drug should be provided where it's needed the most and where its distribution can be fairly rationed.

I will repeat what I posted the last time this article was posted:

If tamiflu is truely a lifesaving drug, then until there is enough for the whole world, it remains a precious commodity to be rationed according to where it will do the most good, save the most lives, and ensure the continuity of our society. It should not be sold to the highest bidder. Businesses should have it, but first, only those who are necessary to keeping communities going. Hospitals, vaccine manufacturers, police, delivery companies, electrical grid workers, and the like.   

The reality is that there is little expectation that tamiflu going to do much against this virus.    Roche is making money hand over fist on fears and the real anticipated misfortunes of others. I have no sympathy.

gardener.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 1:23pm
It sounds like you agree with me not disagree. I didn't say that Dunkin Doughnuts should go buy it.  I agree businesses such as utilities, transportation, banking etc. should be able to buy it on their own if they want to.  Some of these businesses may already know that their states don't have any solid plans to help them with the purchases.  I think it is prudent to get it for certain businesses even if you have to get it on your own and pay more.  I'd like to see a list of those businesses trying to get it on their own and why they feel they might not be able to rely on the state.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 2:26pm
Cabinlass, we do agree.

[ I'd like to see a list of those businesses trying to get it on their own and why they feel they might not be able to rely on the state.]

My suspicion is that the companies that are able to buy it will be wealthy fortune 500-type companies. I'm not sure how a business could legally collect it to distribute to thiei employees unless they had a physician on retainer. This could select for big corporations. I may be wrong, but I don't see them giving it to their rank and file employees. I was vehement in my post because I imagine the upper ranks of goldman sachs getting this and other potentially lifesaving treatments ahead of 1) the average non-wealthy person who is equally deserving, and 2) the people who really hold things together. The wealth of this country is already concentrated into very few hands.

peace be with you,

gardener

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 3:33pm
   I agree cabinlass,

My state has agreed to purchas for 10% of our population here on their own, then with the additional 25% from the goverment kicking in bucks, they will stock pile all of it. Any idea the population in Ca? approx. 36,132,147, now if you buy for 35% that is 10,839,644 leaving 25,292,503 ! no wonder other business are buying it   geezzzzz leaves enough people in my state without it to fill a couple BIG BIG cities! and they say we are prepared here,(whatever) hope who ever holds the key to the stock pile closet doesnt take ill ..haha little smart joke there I understand some states have not even commited and the dead line is near !! eeek and psst why not dunkin donuts I love them? wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic