Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!
    Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:30am
WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006
BY JERRY KLEIN COPLEY NEWS SERVICE

A Thai worker carries chickens out of a farm during the culling of chicken in Suphanburi province, central Thailand, Jan. 16, 2004. It is likely that a group of chickens in northern Thailand that died last week from bird flu carried the virulent H5N1 type of the virus, a Thai agricultural official said Monday, July 24, 2006. (AP Photo/Apichart Weerawong, File)

Advertisement
< = ="http://www.cantonrep.com/phpAds/adx.js" =text/> < = =text/> < style="WIDTH: 300px; HEIGHT: 250px" code=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=250 width=300 id=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>< NAME="_cx" VALUE="7938">< NAME="_cy" VALUE="6615">< NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="7938">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="http://www.cantonrep.com/phpAds/Ads/b_2.swf?a1=http://www.cantonrep.com/phpAds/adclick.php%3Fbannerid=201%26zoneid=4%26source=%26dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hartvillefleamarket.com&atar1=_blank">< NAME="" VALUE="http://www.cantonrep.com/phpAds/Ads/b_2.swf?a1=http://www.cantonrep.com/phpAds/adclick.php%3Fbannerid=201%26zoneid=4%26source=%26dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hartvillefleamarket.com&atar1=_blank">< NAME="WMode" VALUE="">< NAME="Play" VALUE="-1">< NAME="Loop" VALUE="-1">< NAME="Quality" VALUE="High">< NAME="SAlign" VALUE="">< NAME="Menu" VALUE="-1">< NAME="" VALUE="">< NAME="AllowAccess" VALUE="always">< NAME="Scale" VALUE="ShowAll">< NAME="DeviceFont" VALUE="0">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="0">< NAME="" VALUE="">< NAME="SWRemote" VALUE=""> < ='http://www.cantonrep.com/phpAds/Ads/b_2.swf?a1=http://www.cantonrep.com/phpAds/adclick.php%3Fbannerid=201%26zoneid=4%26source=%26dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hartvillefleamarket.com&atar1=_blank' quality=high width='300' height='250' ='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspace='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashp'>

PEOhttp://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=298762RIA, ILL. Does it strike anyone else that the American Red Cross has gone a trifle overboard in its dire warnings about a possible outbreak of bird flu this fall? While it would be ridiculous to dismiss the possibility of widespread disruption and unimaginable death rates, the recommendation that we all have two weeks of supplies in case of widespread quarantines somehow raises echoes of the frantic rush to build and stock air raid shelters during the early days of the cold war.

“We’re told to expect the flu to strike in waves at about six-week intervals,” said a Red Cross official, who also predicted that 40 percent of the population could be sick or absent from work caring for sick relatives.

All quite possible. But what is most disturbing is what is left unsaid in this cautionary advice.

Stocking two weeks of water (a gallon a day for each person and pet) would not only tax the storage facilities of most homes, but it also implies that tap water would be unavailable because there would be no electricity to run the pumps. A household with five people would require the stockpiling of 70 gallons. Where are you going to put all that water?

Similarly, acquiring two weeks of nonperishable food would involve buying and storing a bewildering assortment of cans, boxes, jars, sacks, packages, etc., a daunting logistical venture, especially for a large family. This recommendation not only suggests that all food markets will be closed, but also that trucks will stop running and that we will suddenly find ourselves thrust into a primitive society in which only people who are self-sustaining or armed with shotguns will survive.

We are properly instructed, then, to be prepared, perhaps even to be darned good and afraid. And this is disturbing.

For it is becoming increasingly difficult to face the future with anything approaching optimism. We not only have bird flu and what could be “the worst flu season since 1918” to contend with, but also global warming, West Nile virus, mad cow disease, Lyme disease, Korean missiles, Iranian nuclear bombs, staggering energy prices, terrorist plots, a quagmire of a war and the prediction that a billion people will die of cancer from smoking during this century.

Some of us remember the darkest days of World War II, when President Franklin Roosevelt spoke those famous lines, “We have nothing to fear but fear itself.” These days, fanning fear has become a virtual industry.

It is as if we are being manipulated by some Orwellian Ministry of Fear whose purpose is to drive us, mewling and whimpering, into our basements to huddle amid our hoard of bottled water, canned goods and jars of peanut butter.

If we accept what we are told at face value, it is quite pointless to plan for tomorrow, to build that new house, to take our pills as prescribed, to have the car serviced, to dream about sailing in the Caribbean. Woe is me. All is lost.

I am reminded of those “winter storm warnings” that, at the prospect of even a gentle snowfall, will keep people home and will result in empty restaurants, theaters and concert halls.

Yes, it is time for a sober preparation, for rational planning, for sensible caution, but not for the alarm, panic and near hysteria spread by wild projections and prophecies of doom.

It is also time for faith and for hope.

Here are two predictions we can count on. One, we are all going to die — the fatality rate for the gift of life is a 100 percent. And two, tomorrow morning will surely bring another sunrise.

Jerry Klein is a columnist with the Journal Star in Peoria.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:34am

I'm glad that there is something about the bird flu in the paper.  It at least recognizes the preparation part,  but it's journalist like this that make people dismiss the fact that this is so serious.

I'm hoping readers will dismiss his comment and wonder why we have to prepare for food and water.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:35am
Ok that not how it looked when I posted it. Cry  Will try again.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:38am
WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
PEORIA, ILL. Does it strike anyone else that the American Red Cross has gone a trifle overboard in its dire warnings about a possible outbreak of bird flu this fall? While it would be ridiculous to dismiss the possibility of widespread disruption and unimaginable death rates, the recommendation that we all have two weeks of supplies in case of widespread quarantines

somehow raises echoes of the frantic rush to build and stock air raid shelters during the early days of the cold war.

“We’re told to expect the flu to strike in waves at about six-week intervals,” said a Red Cross official, who also predicted that 40 percent of the population could be sick or absent from work caring for sick relatives.

All quite possible. But what is most disturbing is what is left unsaid in this cautionary advice.

Stocking two weeks of water (a gallon a day for each person and pet) would not only tax the storage facilities of most homes, but it also implies that tap water would be unavailable because there would be no electricity to run the pumps. A household with five people would require the stockpiling of 70 gallons. Where are you going to put all that water?

Similarly, acquiring two weeks of nonperishable food would involve buying and storing a bewildering assortment of cans, boxes, jars, sacks, packages, etc., a daunting logistical venture, especially for a large family. This recommendation not only suggests that all food markets will be closed, but also that trucks will stop running and that we will suddenly find ourselves thrust into a primitive society in which only people who are self-sustaining or armed with shotguns will survive.

We are properly instructed, then, to be prepared, perhaps even to be darned good and afraid. And this is disturbing.

For it is becoming increasingly difficult to face the future with anything approaching optimism. We not only have bird flu and what could be “the worst flu season since 1918” to contend with, but also global warming, West Nile virus, mad cow disease, Lyme disease, Korean missiles, Iranian nuclear bombs, staggering energy prices, terrorist plots, a quagmire of a war and the prediction that a billion people will die of cancer from smoking during this century.

Some of us remember the darkest days of World War II, when President Franklin Roosevelt spoke those famous lines, “We have nothing to fear but fear itself.” These days, fanning fear has become a virtual industry.

It is as if we are being manipulated by some Orwellian Ministry of Fear whose purpose is to drive us, mewling and whimpering, into our basements to huddle amid our hoard of bottled water, canned goods and jars of peanut butter.

If we accept what we are told at face value, it is quite pointless to plan for tomorrow, to build that new house, to take our pills as prescribed, to have the car serviced, to dream about sailing in the Caribbean. Woe is me. All is lost.

I am reminded of those “winter storm warnings” that, at the prospect of even a gentle snowfall, will keep people home and will result in empty restaurants, theaters and concert halls.

Yes, it is time for a sober preparation, for rational planning, for sensible caution, but not for the alarm, panic and near hysteria spread by wild projections and prophecies of doom.

It is also time for faith and for hope.

Here are two predictions we can count on. One, we are all going to die — the fatality rate for the gift of life is a 100 percent. And two, tomorrow morning will surely bring another sunrise.

Jerry Klein is a columnist with the Journal Star in Peoria

A Thai worker carries chickens out of a farm during the culling of chicken in Suphanburi province, central Thailand, Jan. 16, 2004. It is likely that a group of chickens in northern Thailand that died last week from bird flu carried the virulent H5N1 type of the virus, a Thai agricultural official said Monday, July 24, 2006. (AP Photo/Apichart Weerawong, File)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:39am
Much better.....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 7:07am
"Does it strike anyone else that the American Red Cross has gone a trifle overboard in its dire warnings about a possible outbreak of bird flu this fall?"

"We are properly instructed, then, to be prepared, perhaps even to be darned good and afraid. And this is disturbing."

"I am reminded of those “winter storm warnings” that, at the prospect of even a gentle snowfall, will keep people home and will result in empty restaurants, theaters and concert halls. "

"Yes, it is time for a sober preparation, for rational planning, for sensible caution, but not for the alarm, panic and near hysteria spread by wild projections and prophecies of doom. "

I do understand why this is being reported in this way. Don't want to cause panic and all that... But, it still makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever! What planet are they reporting from??? As we all know, most people we have talked to have only the food in their 'regular pantry' let alone extra food and water. As we all know, most people think we are nuts and the BF will never happen, since how could something bad like that happen to us?? A lot of our own families think we're crazy here, and we are all packed full of legitimate information and facts. As far as Im concerned this article is full of BS (and yeah, I mean bird BLEEP), and just another way of completely downplaying an impending pandemic, making people more complacent, causing them to do NOTHING to prepare! Angry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 7:28am
I hate to say it but I have heard this same argument from my family and friends.  

They said "First it was the killer bees then west Niles, Global Warming will kill us, Y2K.  Yada Yada Yada....

My favorite if I'm going to die then I die...This is coming from 65 yr olds...More than one.  I'm sister 40 said this too....

So many times have people been warned of so many thing that can kill them they don't worry at all.

This article infuriated me, AngryI'm afraid a lot of people feel that way..

I would love to know what people are saying to change there minds.

They are excepting comment to the article.
Click on the post.  You'll see a link. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:00am
Personally, I think that it is unfortunate and irresponsible of the newspaper to allow a columnist from their own paper to write and publish an opinion article such as this one.  It actually looks more like a news article than an opinion to me, and it probably will to others too who cannot tell the difference.  It might have been okay as a commentary or letter to the editor from an individual but not from one of their own columists.  

I agree with Hope4Us and HappyCamper in that people already think that we are nuts and we are already hearing these same agruments from family and friends.  People are discounting the warnings and it is infuriating...but also disappointing and unfortunate, because there may have been some folks right on the edge of realizing the impending danger of not preparing and now..since the newspaper saids so they won't.   

It's sad to think that there are people out there who would choose to sabotage all of the information to the contrary and possibly harm people with opinions that could ultimately change their lives..or take their lives.  If he doesn't believe the warning, why take the risk of harming others?  Wholly irresponsible.  Peace.   
VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:08am
Yes, it is time for a sober preparation, for rational planning, for sensible caution...

...acquiring two weeks of nonperishable food would involve buying and storing a bewildering assortment of cans, boxes, jars, sacks, packages, etc., a daunting logistical venture, especially for a large family...

How can storing 2 weeks (just 2 WEEKS for crying out loud!) of supplies be described as such a terrible proposition?  What exactly would be appropriate "sober preparation" if not storing a pretty small cache of non-perishable food?
VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:13am
If we accept what we are told at face value, it is quite pointless to plan for tomorrow...

No, if we accept it at face value, it's pointless not to plan for tomorrow, in a way that takes into account the threats and uncertainties that have always existed in life, but that vary somewhat at different times.  (And I'm not sure that staying home from the theater when a snowstorm is coming is inappropriate over-reaction.)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:23am
I take the bird flu situation on two levels, I am prepping for about 3-4 weeks of food, water, supplies etc. I have gloves, meds, cleaning supplies,etc. This is all neatly stacked and I use this stuff everyday. As I use it up, I replace it so I always keep a large supply available. However, I am planning vacations, saving for retirement, planning to send my kids to college and enjoying my life. You can do both. I hear the warnings, it's not the end of the world, it may never happen, but if it does, I am prepared, if not I use up my supplies any way. I don't care what others think, I can think for myself, and it can't hurt to be prepared and then enjoy your life!!!!!

Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:35am
His job is to write a column...he simply took the "other side of the coin" approach that we hear from so many who don't believe BF is coming or will be a problem. Surprised? Look around at people smoking cigarettes if you want to see denial in the face of undisputable facts. Smoking kills you yet people smoke away like it won't happen to them.

Ruth has the right approach. Prepare for tomorrow, live for today.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:36am
Well said Ruth. Although sometimes thinking that way can be difficult (when we all gather so much info. here, and at times it can get a bit 'close'), it is best to always try and keep that frame of mind!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:40am
If any one here has ever been to Peoria (I Have) you would completely understand the mentality and purpose of that article.  Simple natural selection and survival of the fittest.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:43am
Some people are just too stupid to live.

(referring to the author of the article, of course.)
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:25pm
Is he KIDDING us with this??? People happily shell out an extra $20-$100
per month for the super-duper, must-see upgraded premium cable TV package (in addition to regular cable), and pay up to $6. for designer lattes at Starbucks....and yes...I believe this also includes lower and middle income families. There's plenty of room in the  average american house for big-screen TV's, game-boys, plastic trees, not to mention shelves and shelves of useless junk people just couldn't pass up on QVC, ShopNBC, The Franklin Mint, whatever.....but, of course, no room for a couple of weeks worth of food and water. Shame on this guy, seriously!
OK, I feel better now. No offense to Starbucks, QVC, Sony, the Franklin Mint, or whoever makes ugly plastic trees. SorryUnhappy
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
brianages View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 12:48pm
I like plastic trees!

It's the one plant in the house that always looks alive.
Brian Ages - Tybee Island - GA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 1:06pm
Ask anybody in Peoria what is the Red Cross and 100% will reply "it's the red X that flashes above the lane when you bowl a strike!"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 1:14pm
"I like plastic trees!

It's the one plant in the house that always looks alive."

Yes, but it won’t taste very good when you fry it with your spam! LOL

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 1:38pm
plastic trees LOL

Two weeks of food and water could be stored in the average pantry. Unless of course one felt they just couldn't do without gormet cooking in an emergency or 50000 calorie a day diets that a lot of us (including me) think we need ;). 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by brianages brianages wrote:

I like plastic trees!

It's the one plant in the house that always looks alive.

Its the only plant the cat wont EAT!
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 2:54pm
Sorry, Guys. Plastic trees need love too, I guess. Before my husband and I got married and moved in together, he had this really horrible red plastic ficus tree...I mean, this thing was gigantic...hideola. I prayed and prayed that it would meet with a swift, painless, but timely demise and, lo and behold..it blew off his balcony iin a storm to the street below where cars began running over it. No...I did not PUSH it if that's what you're thinking.
It had a nice life...it was time.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 3:28pm
I would like to tell this guy to pack it up and head for the next land falling hurricane we have and get a hotel room close enough the power will be out.  He should only take one days worth of supplies and must only have a 1/4 tank of gasoline when the storm hits, 2 batteries, one flashlight and a radio with no spare batteries.  He would be allowed to obtain additional supplies (whatever he could still find) once he arrived in the hurricane warning area and got checked in to the hotel. I bet he would come back and write a different article.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 3:58pm
For everyone that would like to tell this guy $%$ bleep bleep.  Click this link on top of this article you'll see a
comment link.

Tell him what you want...I did.

I told him how irresponsible he was and this is not news it's his opinion.  I told him a  journalist has a responsible to tell the news.  Keep your opinion to yourself before you kill Innocent people.  Angry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 4:24pm
I did earlier today while it was still fresh on my mind.  I said very similar things, HappyCamper.  Peace. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:53pm

I wonder what this short sighted moron author of this article would say if, in retrospect, he thought abut the following ten major events that were also never expected to happen in the last 50 years, but they did.

1. 9-11
2. Mt St. Helens
3. Space Shuttle Challenger, Columbia
4. Assination of JFK, John Lennon, attemped assassination of Pope Paul and Ronald Reagan
5. Hurricane Katrina
6. Indonesia Tsunami
7. Oklahoma City bombing of the Murray Bldg
8. Fall of Russia and the iron curtain
9. HIV/AIDS
10. Chernobyl and Three Mile Island nuclear reactors

I am quite sure if anyone were asked before hand if these 10 events were likely to occur, the answer would have been:  very unlikely or no.

In view of the multiple warnings about the avian pandemic by the many independent and government experts around the globe, in nearly all countries (not just the Red Cross in Illinois saying this), I'll heed their advice and take as many precautions as possible.

I don't care what this nit-wit pin-head writer of this article says, I've lived through all ten events above and I believe history does repeat itself: 1918 Pandemic - deja vue all over again, unless a miracle occurs.

This is an "easy call".
ShaRenKa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaRenKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:48am
Originally posted by aurora aurora wrote:

Some people are just too stupid to live.

(referring to the author of the article, of course.)

Aurora, you obviously havn't met my husband...lol!
Sha Ren Ka
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:52am
Honey! is that you?
TCharley300 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCharley300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 1:34pm
OK, folks, look at the most important part of this entire thread. Look at the picture. No mask, no gloves and keeping the chickens close to his face. That's the kind of stupidity we're haveing to deal with.  That's why this pandemic will happen.
TCharley 300
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 9:53pm
You are right, TCharley300, about the "precautions" the fool in the photograph has taken.  From what I have gathered, Parrots often infect their owners (we have a Macaw) with flu through the dust from their down feathers.  This jokers got four sick birds right in front of his face and he's wearing a ski mask?

I agree it's stupid, but I don't agree with your statement that a BF pandemic WILL happen.  Mostly because I can't STAND the thought of everybody on this Forum saying, "See?  I told you so!"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 10:28pm
Chill out, Samoa,

I didn't take Tcharlie330's comments that way at all. He made an observation, and pointed it out, maybe reacting in such a manner to the 'news' of the idiot reporter. Sometimes, we (on this board) get to a point, after taking jokes, nasty comments, and so on (about how we are 'crazy' 'the sky is falling' 'we're alarmists', all that crap, that we cannot help but make a statement that can be interpreted as "I told you so!". I really don't think TCharlie meant it this way.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 3:47pm
Samoa,

Most experts say it will happen so perhaps you might want to stash away a little humble pie with your preps.  I'll have plenty to go around myself.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:22am
Sorry, I'm with Samoa on this one...IF we're unlucky enough to get hit with this flu, and I read anything that even remotely resembles gloating in this forum, I'm outta here.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:35am
I doubt anyone would say "I told you so".  Anyone waiting to say that has no business being here on this forum.  We would all love to be wrong about this and to end up donating our preps.  The fact is, pandemics happen every 25 - 40 years based on science and research.  Since it has been approx 39 years since the last pandemic, there is a high probability that we will have one within the next 12 - 24 months.   My guess is a lot sooner than that.   We need to stay vigilant through this upcoming flu season more than ever.   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 10:55am
Good point Albert.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

If any one here has ever been to Peoria (I Have) you would completely understand the mentality and purpose of that article.  Simple natural selection and survival of the fittest.

Hey, I was BORN in Peoria,!LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 11:14am
My mantra is: 'Please oh please don't let this pandemic happen'. I've worked many many years with little and sometimes no pay and finally, finally I'm reaping the rewards of past work, a pandemic would wreck that. That's just from the selfish part of me, I also don't want my children, grandchildren, friends, family etc to suffer through a pandemic. I would gladly eat humble pie with a great big smile and tears of joy!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 11:54am
Tom W,

Nothing really against the fine People of Peoria, I'm sure you'll agree they could work a little harder to improve the reputation that precedes them.  But they certainly deserve better than chuckle head reporting like that.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

Tom W,

Nothing really against the fine People of Peoria, I'm sure you'll agree they could work a little harder to improve the reputation that precedes them.  But they certainly deserve better than chuckle head reporting like that.

Agreed. BUt that door knob is probably from Nebraska or some where Big smile
TCharley300 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCharley300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 5:03pm
Although I've been in the forum for quite a while, I really don't post that much. But, from what I have read from most of the members in this forum, I don't think that you will see an "I told you so" attitude. This forum seems to be smarter than that.

Sure, we get a little worked up from time to time, but overall, this is the best forum on the web.
TCharley 300
martha View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by rodin33 rodin33 wrote:

My mantra is: 'Please oh please don't let this pandemic happen'. I've worked many many years with little and sometimes no pay and finally, finally I'm reaping the rewards of past work, a pandemic would wreck that. That's just from the selfish part of me, I also don't want my children, grandchildren, friends, family etc to suffer through a pandemic. I would gladly eat humble pie with a great big smile and tears of joy!!!

Me too I finally am at the point in my life where I feel safe emotionaly finacially to have it aLL TAKEN.  I dont think I would waste a second feeling bad that I spent money on preps  . 
martha View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by TCharley300 TCharley300 wrote:

OK, folks, look at the most important part of this entire thread. Look at the picture. No mask, no gloves and keeping the chickens close to his face. That's the kind of stupidity we're haveing to deal with.  That's why this pandemic will happen.

iS THERE A WAY TO LET THE FOOLS KNOW HOW STUPID THAT IS.

THEY ARE SETTING US UP BY INCREASING THE ODDS OF THE FLU SPREADING 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:24pm
Martha, TCharley300;

The only fools associated with this article will be the ones living in Peoria. Albert as usual, makes much more sense in his statement above - statistically, when you go back even over the last 300 years of history, a pandemic occurs every 30-40 years, almost without fail and like clockwork. The world is not special now, statiscally it will occur, unless God is sleeping at the switch (which I doubt). Whatsmore, with the rapid spread of H5N1 in so many countries around the globe since January, and with what is happening in Indonesia, Laos and Thailand, just in the last month alone, leads me also to believe that it will indeed be sooner than later.
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:37pm
I've come to the same rationalization as "Path-of-the-Wolf".  If and when a pandemic happens, Modern Medicine will help those in the Developed World.  There could well be a massive die-off, culling, cleansing, whatever, in the poor countries, and that would be a tragedy.  But those who think that the survivors in North America will inherit a rustic, bucolic existence will be disappointed.  Hey, I know you're out there.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:53pm
Samoa;

I have a tendency to agree with your statement above. If and when it happens, heaven forbid, there is going to be a real wake-up call to some generations of people in our citizenry, who will be in shock that such an event could happen in their lifetime.

I have been caught in one war, and seen and experienced a lot of things people wouldn't believe. I didn't believe some of the events myself. I have a very bad feeling about this H5N1 and what I'm seeing from a global perspective.

By the way, I believe you may live in Hawaii. From what I know, they are one state that is preparing well for this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic