Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Generators - Event Date: August 02 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Generators
    Posted: August 02 2006 at 1:14pm
I'm a new member, and this is my first post.  With hurricane season upon us again, we Floridians think about supplies for our generators.  One item you should have on hand is straight 30 weight oil for your generator (some require special oils, mine can take straight 30 wt.).  The owners manual says  to change the oil every 24 hrs of use (takes about a quart).  I have a Coleman generator that generates 5000 watts.  It's very noisy, and not very fuel efficient, but it does the job in a pinch.  It uses about 5 gal. of gas every 10 hours or so of use.  We had two hurricanes hit us in the last 2 years and both times we were without electricity for 5 days.  I made the mistake of using "old gas" that was leftover from the previous years storm, and almost seized the engine.  I was able to clean up the gunk by using fresh premium gas with stabil added to the gasoline.  Please remember to add stabil to your gas (avail at Wal Mart and auto parts stores).  If I knew about bird flu at the time I would have bought a Honda EU  2000, since they are so much more fuel efficient, and much less noisy.  Hope this helps anyone new to generators.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:00pm
Bob, 

If your generator is fairly new, I would STRONGLY reccomend putting it on a diet of Mobil 1.  It will give much more protection over those long runs.  As for the noise, I think I can help with that too.  Give me a day or two as I am very busy at the office.  I'll post some pictures and explainations as to how I quieted mine down about 50%!  And yes, Fresh gas, or protected with sta-bil is a must!
BobFMB View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobFMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:10pm
Thanks!  I'd love to quiet down my coleman.  Mobil 1 sounds fine to me.  Is there a special weight, or is Mobil 1 all the same?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 8:57am
Synthetic oil is great. Also, I have been living off of my generator for two years at my retreat, and have found that spare parts are needed.
Pull ropes, spark plugs, capacitor (dealer item) have even replaced a carburetor.
IT DOES PAY, to have a spare generator, even a smaller one. I have the main one for large items, and if I just want to charge batteries or run a fan or two, I use the 1200 watt. One generator running a lot, does not last long. I go thru one a year. If BF or the middle east starts getting bad, I will buy one, maybe two extra gensets.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 9:00am

Use 30 weight Moble one. All synthetic oil is made the same, even the cheap stuff, it just has different additives. It does not break down like regular oil, and an oil change can last longer with less wear.

AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 10:33am
Mountainwinds, you must have one heck of a fuel supply.   I have one small generator that I plan to run for about 4 hours a day (2 in the AM and 2 in the PM)  and am storing enough oil for about 300 hours worth of changes.  I don't see how I can possibly store enough fuel to last that long, though.
Catmando View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catmando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 11:30am
I have a Tri Gas carb. NG, Propane or Gasoline. I plan on using NG as long as it holds out.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 11:35am

AVanarts, I only run one to two hours a day, maybe four to six on weekends or days off. I mainly use it to charge my batteries and run my larger fans on hot days.

My place is all 12 volt except the A/C and well pump. Small fans, TV, lights are 12 volt. Fridge, cookstove and heat is propane.
For my laptop, I charge when generator is running, or hook to inverter.
This was my hunting/weekend place and moved here a while back to pay off some debts. After BF and the problem in the Middle East is past, I will be moving back to town.

PS I have 300 gallons stored and can store up to 800.

AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 12:06pm
I have a tri gas carb on the way, (at least they said it would ship this week) and plan on doing like Catmando - NG as long as it holds out.  Then I will have 30 or 40 gallons of gasoline.  If it gets bad enough that I go through my gas, I think my propane will be too valuable for heat and cooking to use for electricity.

I'm planning on 4 hours per day to keep the fridge and freezer cold and to give my batteries a boost.

richard eugene View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard eugene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 11:34pm
propane is the way to go.  With a liquid withdrawal hose you can get propane from any tank, when all the gas and diesel has turned to gel.
woffman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 5:22pm
Make sure you break the generator in on regular oil.    Synthetic oil will not break an engine in.   I used regular 30 weight for the first 2 oil changes and now use synthetic oil.  

Look into a product called pri-g.   It says it will even refresh old Gas. 

just in case View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just in case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 1:04pm
   how much gas are people storing and how, thanks
700renegade View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 700renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 10:07pm
900 gallons diesel and 300 gasoline.

300 of the diesel is in a standard overhead tank like found on any farm ( like my hobby farm).  This is used for my tractors and skid steer routinely.

I have now added two 300 gallon totes of diesel and one of gasoline.  diesel is stabilized w/ Pri-ocide, Pri-d and anti-gel.  Gasoline has Pri-G added.  I'll rotate out gas in spring if not used.  Diesel can keep for years and years if you keep up w/ the biocide.

You can get the poly totes at a lot of chemical mixing plants.  they are about 40" x 48" x 40" tall and stack up nicely w/ a forklift.  I cover mine w/ a dark tarp in the shed to keep as much light out as possible and to keep prying eyes away.  If there ever is a fire in that shed stand back!

I have a gas generator,  diesel generator and PTO pwered generator.  planning to run the 8hp diesel in a SHTF scenario - at least till someone finds out I have it and someone else wins the gun fight.  That's my biggest worry.  I'm all prepared for a years worth of offgrid electric and I can't even run the darn thing for fear of someone hearing it!

AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 3:41pm
My tri gas adapter arrived today, but the tach/hour meter I also ordered weren't included in the shipment.  This company isn't good at returning e-mails, but I guess I'll send one anywah to see if/when they plan to ship the meter. 

These small generators need to run right at 3600 RPM to generate at 60 Hz, so a tach of some sort is needed when switching between fuels.
Pookey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 6:37am
AVanarts,

I also bought a tri-fuel conversion last spring, probably from the same company.  On my shipment, they shorted me a 1/2" coupling.  I emailed them with no response and finally called them.  They said they were out of stock.  I finally received the coupling out of the blue about a month later.   I get the feeling that they are a small Mom & Pop company even though they have a good web site.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic