Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Tony SNow: Bird Flu in Michigan On Foxnew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 10:58am

Yes Actually I do...  I put most of the major flyways on this... I would expect southern migration this fall.  We can see where they will be coming from and therefor which strains are likely to appear from each region of infection.

Here is another view concentrating on Africa

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 4:31pm
Jhetta,

Thanks for posting the map -- it is really cool.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 6:23am
I have refrained from posting since the Michigan incident was announced.
The rational behind this was that as the political, economic, and media spin wheels churned, it would be premature to make any observations. It was also the knowledge that when I finally posted my thoughts on this, it might generate a lot of negative posts towards my comments as well as tend to make the hardliners take a very aggresive stance to dismember my comments by declaring me an alarmist. I will be surprised if this does not happen, but I think are those who will follow the logic and sincerity of this post.

Instead of probable, which has been used in many political statements, I will use the term likely. It is likely we have H5N1 in the U.S. Countries are beginning to ban imports of our poultry products as we knew they would if we announced it even might be in the U.S.

The fact that there have been outbreaks in the past is not new news. And the fact that this seems to be quoted "well we have had them in this year and that year and so forth" does not make the current cases any less ominous or a problem for the United States. It is like saying, well we have had Pandemics before in 1918 and several times so this is nothing new. The Bubonic plague is nothing new. Certain virulent diseases have swept the planet since the times of the Egyptians. This has got to be the weakest logic, criteria or statements I have ever heard. We have had this or seen this before. So what? We had the holocaust before. We had World Wars before. We have had many things before? Who writes this stuff for people to say?

I would assume the inferfence is that we have seen it before and we are all still alive (most of us) and there was no Pandemic.  Well, there were Pandemics. And people died. Millions.

On dozens of posts I have presented documentation of this moving from low path to high path, in birds and it can in people. What is basically happeninig is you have the event. H5N1 has been identified and now all the media and release mufflers or on so the public will not panic, the economy won't take a nose dive, and we are being given a flurry of scientific "this is being handled in the top labs with the most advanced methods and so forth."  Can we stop it? Our medical system is not read to handle a Pandemic. We can simply hope, if it happens, to survive it.

The idea is to dilute the incident and calm everyone's nerves and keep all the other countries from banning our poultry.

As the press and government releases dig back through old data, and some of this is old - stuff from May is old - we are in August.  Statements like - well it has been endogenous in the bird population and the sudden emergence of a "North American H5N1" which is not high path raising the yard stick to 80+ percent to make it high path.  This is circle talk. It is politics. It is well designed and translated - birds have been crawling with viruses for hundreds of years and it hasn't jumped to people. Well, look at China okay, and Thailand, and Vietnam. It has. People are dying from it. Wake up and smell the coffee people. Don't panic. Just dig in, grit your teeth, and prepare. If it doesn't happen. Great. I mean it. Great.

This is all semantics and euphemisms. If over half of the birds or people who catch it die, it is high path to me. Its like adjusting warning levels to fit the situation so we are not at a higher alert.  I have worked with facilities that have sequencers and we do not have to incubate a lot of whatever to take a look at the virus and know what the score is.

With a patient and a little common sense, and a 2-4 hour test you can determine if it is pretty likely it's Avian. That test has been around awhile. I have talked to or corresponded with Vietnamese doctors or nurses who cared for  the specific  outbreak cases  of human transmissions. I have seen pics of the X-rays of the lungs, and for several days, simply sat back and observed as the news leaks into the media. 

It does not take two weeks. Considering we had data months ago on certain situations, and weeks ago, the time is up for knowing what it is.
I have talked to scientists who run the tests, what tests they use, and what tests not effective or considered dinosaur in virology and genetics and posted it. They know the score. The swams were tested twice before a word was said about anything.

Understand, it is much safer for me to sit back and be silent and let the media flood the net with official sounding technology which does not reflect the situation.

The pathways are open and the birds will be heading south or will be be soon I believe.

The truth is that humans have had a multiple variety of flu for decades. Flu has got to be the most ridiculous word ever conceived to describe a disease. It is meaningless. The fact the "stomach flu" keeps trying to establish itself as a real word has a reason. And that is because Avian can mutate to a virus, may have mutated to a virus that is intestinal as it is in birds, and therefore gets pushed into "what we see every year."  Do not tell me this. After 40 years in medicine I already know what we see every year.

Never having developed the tough skin of the traditional medical type, when I read things like "well every year flu sweeps through the U.S. and we have periods where GI outbreaks occur and it is just the mutation that happens naturally.

Death is natural. That does not mean it is acceptable for millions of people to die each year. Ebola is natural. That is like saying excrement is organic.
I belong to a group of scientists who don't particularly like death or disease. And honestly, we would like to wipe disease off the face of the planet. That includes Avian.  Not take the approach of the physician after the operation where  the patient expires and says "Well, you know statistically we lose a few. Go tell the family."

There is a point here. It is like euphemisms in the funeral industyr. Dearly Departed, the Loved One. A classic psychological tool and manipulation of the American public - telling a patient you "just have the flu" is absurd. Thousands of people die from the flu. The point is, the current medical system in many cases is impotent to treat disease. Instead of just saying,
we don't know what to do, or you are wasting your time if you have the "the flu" when you can go home, take aspirin, and drink plenty of liquids, is just saying, this is beyond our skills or knowledge at the present time.

When Aviian hits, if it does with any force, people will be told  to stay home.

Conclusions : Now let's make this very clear. Other doctors, nurses, health people may find this alarmist. Most of my family are in the hospital right now and I probably should be for a never ending stomach. Every diagnostic test has been done and they still don't know what it is. I have friends in Europe who have "something" which is not classic Avian but is making them very sick.

So, this is my opinion. You can read all that claim to be experts and form your own. I don't claim to be and expert. I think we have a problem. Let's be real here. You don't want to define something as high path so you raise the yardstick where the kill ratio is close to Ebola so our poultry exports won't be banned all over the globe.

Albert, I think the low path has already been here for years, even some in people. I talked to a virologist in Switzerland and they were discussing also, as others here, the definition of disease.

There is no shame in the medical establishment admitting that just as the war on drugs, and other endeavors, we are not doing well on the war on disease. There are chronic established diseases which are endogenous to our population. c. dificil 5% - some reports 50% in children under 18 months. How do we get around this?

Semantics. We call them friendly fauna. So with Avian? We say well, we have always know that the bird species is crawling with viruses  they just live with. Personally, although I know many strains of many things are in us all, I don't want to be crawling with viruses I just live with.

I don't want to spend the next decade of my life with some low path Avian strain which won't kill me, just gives me a tummy ache every day and is not just a part of the "seasonal GI" but has infected our family for two years. And these are sister-in-laws, people with entirely different bodies and not biologically related.

This is opinion. I bought more water yesterday and a lot of Top Ramen. This incuded dog food, cat food, bird food - etc. We like animals.

Nothing will be more convincing than reality. And if there is no serious Pandemic, fine to be called an alarmist and be wrong.

Just keep quoting statistics and raising levels so that we don't ever have to say - it is here - until the numbers are so high and the trip levers are super glued it will be like the guy in Iraq with U.S. tanks rolling up the steps and telling his people (Minister of Information) the Americans are a hundred miles from Baghdad. Not fair to people who need to prepare and be ready. Comforting - but not a true picture at all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 6:43am
Medclinicain,

What in the world do you propose that we do about all these low grade infectious agents that according to you plague the human population?  Have you never considered the possibility that the treatment might be worse than the "infection" itself?  Do you want us to go around giving vancomycin to the large percentage of infants who currently live with c.dif?  The world cannot be made sterile, the medical community is already  overextended, so we concentrate on the pathogens causing significant disease.  What would you have us do?

Exactly what kind of medical clinician are you?

gardener
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 7:54am
Originally posted by gardener gardener wrote:

Medclinicain,

What in the world do you propose that we do about all these low grade infectious agents that according to you plague the human population?  Have you never considered the possibility that the treatment might be worse than the "infection" itself?  Do you want us to go around giving vancomycin to the large percentage of infants who currently live with c.dif?  The world cannot be made sterile, the medical community is already  overextended, so we concentrate on the pathogens causing significant disease.  What would you have us do?

Exactly what kind of medical clinician are you?

gardener

I know you are a highly qualified person Gardener and practice medicine and I certainly respect your opinions and comments. I always have. And I actually appreciate the restraint you have shown here in not really launching into this.

I am retired from the medical clinics, seeing patients, writing scripts. Remember Vietnam was a long time ago, and I was active even then. But I am active in medical research, virology, genetics, and am in the current loop to develop new medical technology. I have been asked frequently in one way or another, this same line of enquiry. The above is all I will ever say. I also still am connected to go out into the field to natural disasters and unnatural disasters.

You are a serious and grounded doctor I believe, and are active and see patients and deal daily probably in an ER or Clinic with them. And you know your stuff. These are positive comments. Everything you have said is right on target, Gardener.

We do have some solutions on the horizon though. Nothing is worse than someone bemoaning the problems with no solutions. That just creates fear with no hope. And that is not the intention here.

First off, antibiotics or anti-virals are not the solution. That is why Tamiflu is not the answer either. We have one clincial trial in Japan where 15-20% developed resistant strains in the first pass. I have posted the actual step by step mechanism and process showing the development at the sequence level and process of the resistance to Tamiflu. So if you gave Vancomycin to all the toddlers, and it's already been done, you will have at least a  20% relapse rate, since c. dificil forms spores.  However the problem is not  c. dificil. It is the damage caused to the natural flora  balance and natural barrier in the wall, the lining of the intestine.

The primary medical rant here is because it is not only my, but other researchers as well, opinion, that it is possible Avian, which is classically an intestinal and almost symbiotic (many birds appear quite healthy and asymptomatic) may mutate to an intestinal pathogen in humans.

If you think our line of defenses are weak against pulmonary diseases- especially ones that require respirators- more armies have died from bowel problems than swords or bullets.

Try to keep this Avian related. Conventional medicine probably will not be effective and even if it is - as in some strains treated by Tamiflu - imagine the resistant strains developed when you give 400,000,000 doses of this to treat a Pandemic. 

Some doctors have enquired or commented on using injected vaccines of antibodies, or pushing more on using Relenza which can be injected rather than inhaled.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=49114

This is current. I have spoken to people in the drug company developing Relenza and this is a very promising drug; although studies have show Avian can develop resistance to it as well. The problem, as quoted by Jhetta perhaps, is that the key ingredient is made in China, and there is quite a political and economic struggle going on as to who will make the billions for producing the effective anti-viral or vaccine for Avian.

The magic bullet, which we do not have time to develop, we will need a "vaccine patch kit" which one virologist I spoke to stated they could alter the vaccine in several weaks to changes in the virus. I may have posted links to this this company which I am not connected to.

Make no mistake. Behind the scenes people in CDC and WHO are literally working 24/7 on new technologies which could rejuvinate the immune system so the body can fight this off itself (very simplistic but this is not a medical journal here).

I think most of us want this to stay low path in humans period. The longer the better. The more time we have before it decides to jump clusters on us, like the 6/7 mortality types we have seen in Vietnam, the better weapons we will have to fight it.

This forum is discussion. And realize, sometimes, I do get a bit weary of tip-toeing around the obvious.

You know, if you worked with the Federal government, and I am not an employee of the Federal government, that there are situations where we are not ready and we are attempting to become more ready.

People need the truth. Everytime the government, and there is a new face to our top levels of security and health organizations, releases information, such as the swan in Michigan data to the press, it is like biting the bullet while someone performs surgery on you.

This data must go out there. People need time to digest danger and problems. You would be amazed how resilent the American public is to bad news. Read the headlines.

Thank you for the feedback. No. As I said, doctors I went to over at Oakland Naval Base across the bay from  Stanford in the 50s - some went to school when there were no antibiotics. And one time very ill I got an injection of penicillin that cured whatever I had in hours. Today it would be useless.

What you need in the ER down the road is for a truck to roll up and boxes of vaccine to come in the door - militia to guard the people giving it and the vaccine itself.

The point here is not hopelessness. It is to say we need to focus on reality. We need to be able to give people more than soothing words or try to look professional when we simply don't have the tools we need to help them.

Just an opinion. Something tells me I will never get to quit working on these things or trying to function amidst a pretty complex system already in place. We are on the same team. And I hope we win.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2002/11_02/joyce3.htm

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 8:18am
So in other words, medclinician is not a doctor.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 8:21am
yes, i picked up on that too. Medclinician: i am disappointed because your name implies otherwise. You may be very knowledgeable and I appreciate your comments and sympathize with your difficulties but why imply that you are a clinician?

cli·ni·cian (kl-nshn)
n.
A physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist specializing in the treatment of patients, not in other areas such as research.

For example:

A researcher with a Ph.D studying Onclytic Viruses and novel cancer therapeutics is quite different than a clinician on the front lines with patients.

Not to be too hard on you medclinician, you seem to know a lot more than most about the science.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 9:54am
http://www.answers.com/topic/clinician

cli·ni·cian (klĭ-nĭsh'ən) pronunciation
n.
  1. A health professional, such as a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or nurse, involved in clinical practice, as distinguished from one specializing in research.
  2. A health professional who practices at a clinic.
Once again - to be clear - I am retired as working in clinics. One clinic I ran during the Vietnam war in Mainz, Germany - saw patients and prescribed drugs - wrote scripts -  treated patients, ordered labs - etc.

Considering the decades I worked in clinics, hospitals, ERs and so forth, I chose my handle, and would ask more focus be placed on the data and research I have posted, all of which is accurate and appropriate to the current situation.

I wish I had the time to go back to working in clinics and have had numerous invitations even in the last few months to do so as well as go into administration.

Pegasus View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 10:04am
     I'm not seeing anything shocking or alarmist in anything medclinician said.   And I don't believe you have to be a doctor to know that there are many things living dormant in our bodies or at stages of low lying activity that can eventually act up and cause problems that prescriptions alone don't really address.  Anyone familiar with holistic medicine?  Take care of the whole person, not just the 'disease'.  Keep your body in the best conditon possible and allow it to do what it does best.  I wash fruits & veggies before I eat them to remove pesticides and other residue.  Does that make me an alarmist for cutting a risk factor?  I'll save my liver & heart damage for the occasional glass of wine or a good black angus steak, thank you. 
     Nobody can avoid everything (not sanely anyhow) but it's certainly not a bad thing to avoid as many high risk items as reasonably possible.  Sometimes I think Government is often like parenting.  Parents try to determine how much information is needed without causing panic or unnecessary fear in our children but enough to keep them alert to potential problems (Stranger danger and drugs for example).   We want our children (and ourselves) to feel that we have things under control and can keep them safe from harm.  But there is always a new danger lurking.  So we gradually give them the tools they need to help themselves to the best of their abilities.  We cannot always control what happens to us but we CAN control how we respond to it.    
     Let's face it, there are diseases & problems passed to us from heredity, living environment (pollution, flooding, drought, crime), fish (mercury comes to mind), cows, pigs, chickens, etc.  There are damaging effects of pesticides and acid rain on vegetation - but then there is limited produce if something is not done to control pests.  Sugar and butter are 'bad' for you but so are the carcinogenic chemicals used to make some of the substitutes.   It's considered unethical to wear leather shoes (poor bessie the heifer) but plastic footwear uses the petroleum (evil oil companies) we are supposed to be weaning ourselves from. 
     Some people say they want to go back to life before 9/11 when 'things were safe'.  September 10th wasn't any safer - we just lived in a state of blissful ignorance and denial.  "Go about your business folks - nothing to see here."  Avoiding reality doesn't make it go away.   The day before I found this forum, I knew nothing about Bird Flu.  It still existed.  Some days I am scared but mostly I am glad to have the resources (support & ideas shared with all of you) to help me work on an everchanging and evolving plan to do what I can to best protect my family in the event of a pandemic. 
     Why is it so easy to assume that Indonesia and China are lying to us about their statistics (early untested deaths) but so hard to think that some wild bird flew across the Bering Strait without being examined and potentially infected North American wildlife with some form of AI or something else?  Maybe we know about it and maybe we don't.  Just knowing that it is possible should make us want to remain vigilant in our own preparations and hopeful that every report will make another person consider an emergency plan for their own family.
     Hopefully scientists and medical experts will be quick on the tail of an AI H2H outbreak with a suitable vaccine but if they didn't speculate potentials & possiblilties, that could never happen in a timely manner.  So they keep looking/prepping for a vaccine and I keep prepping for the possibility of a prolonged time before that vaccine is ready.  One can't panic every time you get a warning about a potential problem but it is prudent to put that information into your mental file and proceed accordingly.  It's all just information until you get other pieces to the same puzzle and start to assemble a bigger picture.
     Expect the best but prepare for the worst.   

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system. 
     "We do not know the true value of moments until they have undergone the test of memory."   unknown author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 10:06am
the way things are going we may all end up as clinicians Unhappy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:14am
Originally posted by standingfirm standingfirm wrote:

the way things are going we may all end up as clinicians Unhappy

Isn't that the truth. I'll tell you and everyone an incident. Maybe not exactly lighten things up, but get back on track here a little. It's like being in the field and someone's heart stops and they stop breathing and you have a bunch of people staring.

Was called up to one of the overpasses within an hour of the big quake in California in Oakland and San Francisco. Place was in chaos. We were having aftershocks every few minutes; and I mean big ones. San Francisco is like being on a sea of mud earthquake wise. That's why the big earthquake in the early 20th century almost totaled it.

So, we have this overpass which collapses squishing dozens of cars and people. Encasing them in concrete coffins. And some people near the overpass hit by debri and one older man on the ground and his wife screaming "My husband is dead!"

Well, he looked pretty dead. No pulse, no breathing. But pupils weren't quite gone yet and so I started CPR and yelled "somebody run and get one of the paramedics over here to get this one." I looked around. "Any of you know CPR?" Not a one.

I picked the least shook up woman standing there and I said to her
"Well, your about to learn."

In a few minutes she was breathing him and chest compressing him like a pro. We were switching off and I yelled "Where in the hell is that paramedic?"

Guy came up and said

"Take it easy Mr. We are swamped."

The older man started breathing and we got a pulse. His wife started crying and thanking God and everyone in the general vicinity.  Paramedics got a stretcher and started an IV. The guy survived. His wife asked me for my name and I just told her to thank the one really responsible. She was still crying and I looked back at the overpass and knew I was going to be there a long time.

Point: You would be amazed how much people know about medicine and health. How informed they are. So if and when something like that happens, and you don't have the luxury of all the letters after the names.
Look at your neighbors and friends. There will be your doctors, your nurses, your paramedics. We will teach each other and do the best we can. And its very likely like that woman on that day I could be the man you never met and I will say to you

"Never done CPR? Well, you're about to learn."

Dlugose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlugose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:26am
Originally posted by medclinician medclinician wrote:

http://www.answers.com/topic/clinician

cli·ni·cian (klĭ-nĭsh'ən) pronunciation
n.
  1. A health professional, such as a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or nurse, involved in clinical practice, as distinguished from one specializing in research.
  2. A health professional who practices at a clinic.
Once again - to be clear - I am retired as working in clinics. One clinic I ran during the Vietnam war in Mainz, Germany - saw patients and prescribed drugs - wrote scripts -  treated patients, ordered labs - etc.

Thanks for the partial clarification, but you still did not say that you are or were a physician, nurse, etc.  In wartime enlisted medics such as myself prescribed drugs, ordered labs, etc.  You mentioned being treated by doctors at Oakland Naval Base; do you mean Oakland Naval Hospital?
Dlugose RN AAS BA BS Cert. Biotechnology. Respiratory nurse
June 2013: public health nurse volunteer, Asia
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:27am
My father had bladder cancer. His surgeon had to create a new bladder for him out of intestine. I had to learn how to flush his new system and replace his catheter. Tough to do on your dad but he had had enough and only would let me help him. He died in my arms. We learn and we grow.

But this does not make me a medclinician.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 1:08pm
Good to see you on the boards MedClincian. There have been a lot of good posts today -- both questions and answers. What's in a name? Looks like quite a bit -- What's in a post -- even more ... Thanks to everyone -- I am more educated today regarding avian influenza than I was yesterday, which helps me better prepare for AI. Regards, Argyll.
Dlugose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlugose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 1:37pm

Statements like - well it has been endogenous in the bird population and the sudden emergence of a "North American H5N1" which is not high path raising the yard stick to 80+ percent to make it high path.  This is circle talk. It is politics. It is well designed and translated - birds have been crawling with viruses for hundreds of years and it hasn't jumped to people. Well, look at China okay, and Thailand, and Vietnam. It has. People are dying from it.
This is all semantics and euphemisms. If over half of the birds or people who catch it die, it is high path to me. Its like adjusting warning levels to fit the situation so we are not at a higher alert.  I have worked with facilities that have sequencers and we do not have to incubate a lot of whatever to take a look at the virus and know what the score is. 
Medclinician this is a pretty poor understanding of the genetics of influenza viruses.  The low path avian influenzas (LPAI) that crop up are genetically different than the high path ones (HPAI), even if they are the same with respect to what Hemagglutinin group and Neuramidase group they are in.  A LPAI H5N1 has a lot more mutations to undergo to threaten humans than the current HPAI H5N1.  The low path H5N1 is much less of a threat to anyone, even chickens, than the high path.  There are at least hundreds of articles on the differences between LPAI and HPAI.

If you're going to do name dropping, like mentioning facilities that have sequencers, you'd better name some names, since you have been stretching your credibility so thin.  Just write what you find and give your opinion, that is a good contribution, no need to seem like you have expert connections.
Dlugose RN AAS BA BS Cert. Biotechnology. Respiratory nurse
June 2013: public health nurse volunteer, Asia
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 2:55pm
I think medclinician  opinions are a valuable addition to this forum as are everyone that has the courage to speak their mind these days.

The current state of our Health Care system in this country is a Joke and getting worse. The whole thing is based of profit not Health, and that is where the problem starts and ends.  To many people taking a slice of the pie and whats left for actual healthcare is rediculous.

When was the last time you had a family member in to a Doctor for an illness that was causing sickness (FLU LIKE) only to have the Doctor give you 35 seconds explain how you have the (sweaping term) FLU and priscribe Antibiotics along with some other crap and send you on your way.

(Mistake) #1. No diagnostics test done.
(Mistake) #2. Atibiotics prescribed for un-Identifed Illness
(Mistake) #3. Using statistical Averages to diagnose disease.

Number three should be used to decide number 1. And number two should never be prescribed until an actual diagnoses happens. This is why Antibiotics are quickly becoming useless.

No actual diagnostic tests to find out what it is, just some educated guess based on whats already happened and what usually happens. And if the guess was not right go back and get a couple hundred dollars more of prescriptions to see if that works. Oh and if a few die, its ok becuase it fits within the 5% acceptable loss ratio.

Our Medical industry has been reduced to the law of averages rather than factual Medicine, and treatment rather than cure (No money in that). And this happens so that more of your healthcare dollars can be sliced away for admininistration and drugs that treat not cure.

Think about this and see if this or somthing similar does not happen to you the next to time you go to the Doctor. Except next time tell your Doctor you want an actual diagnoses not a guess and see what happens.

Of course this is just my opinion and no I am not a Doctor but have something called Common Sense.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 6:55am
I am curious, what other countries have LPAI "North American" H5NI?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 9:23am
Originally posted by argyll argyll wrote:

I am cuious, what other countries have LPAI "North American" H5NI?

For some of us there are no weekends. I'm beginning to see a consistent pattern of redefinition of things in many areas, and I think this is significant. I know I cannot keep up with the investment of research time that some others here seem to have. I do appreciate the data that is posted,  and have noted a term by Albert - MPAI - which is intriguing.

I think this is a reflection of a vary non-transparent effort to minimize a situation which is escalating. That is an agreement. If you don't want to have all the U.S. poultry banned, create a definition for high path which is so high, that our poultry exports can squeeze through, even if 60% of the birds are dying.

That does not leave me with a comfortable feeling. Just as revising alert levels, and glossing over "non-lethal", human safe strains, which later have turned pathogenic. There are specific cases where this has happened. It is not a "possible" phenomena. It is a recorded phenomena.

Low Path definition :

DeHaven points. out. “Typically, mortality could be. expected to run 10% to 20% in a normal  low path avian  influenza" <>

www.animalagriculture.org/poultry/2004PHR/phr_wn04.pdf

http://www.useu.be/Categories/Agriculture/Feb2304TexasBirdFlu.html

We know that H5 and H7 viruses can become highly pathogenic even if they start out as a low pathogenic form. And so any time we find an H5 or an H7 they are further classified or further testing is done to classify them as either highly pathogenic or low pathogenic. And again, that pathogenicity relates to their ability to cause disease and mortality in birds.

Two ways to declare a particular virus highly pathogenic. As I mentioned, one is by international standards that goes on the genetic sequencing of the virus. And it's on that basis that we're declaring this virus recovered in Texas as highly pathogenic.

The other way, the other pathogenicity testing, is determined by inoculating healthy chickens and monitoring their immune response and mortality over the course of a 10-day period. Those tests are still pending on the Texas virus at NVSL.

Comment: all advanced and complex sequencing aside, it would seem logical that low path kills less chickens, high path kills more chickens.
The question is - several years ago how many chickens in the % died was considered low path and what was considered high path - and have the definitions been changed so what was and is high path, can now be using genetic sequencing definitions be relabled low path.

Isn't this the real issue? If a strain jumps to humans, how many humans will die?

Question: how did countries feel even if the infection in poultry was "low path"?

Low-path Avian Influenza reported in Mexico   by Ann Bagel on 4/1/05 for Meatingplace.com   Mexico's Agriculture Ministry has reported an outbreak of low-pathogenic avian influenza in northern Mexico, in the state of Durango.

Early last week, bird flu fears prompted the slaughter of approximately 2 million chickens at a Tyson Foods processing plant. It is not known how the disease entered the country, but Mexico recently resumed poultry imports from Texas, which was affected by low-path AI last year.

Since the bird flu was not a high-pathogen strain, the outbreak was not reported to the World Health Organization.

Back to Dr. Dehaven>>>

DR. DEHAVEN: In terms of the difference in mortality between a low path and a high path -- and this will be a generalization; there's no hard and fast definition -- but typically with a low path virus we've isolated viruses in a situation where there has been no increase in mortality observed and other cases where it has gone as high as 30 or 40 or maybe 50 percent. Typically we would be looking at 10 to 20 percent mortality in, if there is such a thing, the normal low path avian influenza situation.

High-path on the other hand, we can have mortality that would be in the 20 to 30 percent range to nearly 100 percent. Some of these viruses-- while they may all be classed as highly pathogenic, some of them are far more pathogenic than others. This one would suggest that there has been clearly some increased mortality because of the nature of this particular premise, there does not appear to be very good records so we can't pinpoint that. Certainly there has been some increased mortality, but again based on the initial clinical picture we were saying that it looked more like low-path.

Final Questions :

Seems to me that things could get really confusing. One thing is very clear. You could have a highly pathogenic strain in terms of deaths classified as low path in terms of sequence. And of course in the mutation process in a chicken or person - you could have a low path virus which kills half the chickens or half the people?

Does this mean we could have a low path person virus that kills half the people. Would this be acceptable? Isn't this a little scary? Don't worry - its a low path strain.

Conclusion : So you have a very fancy fusion of politics, economics, and semantics. Unless of course you throw in the contagious factor. Please clarify. IF the birds are tested at Ames, and found to have low path although 50% of the chickens die, the gene sequence shows it to be low path. (added post)

What will be announced to the public? Where is the logical cutoff % of what is high or low path mortality irregardless of what the genetic data reads?

Would other countries be comfortable importing poultry which contains a virus that kills 50% of them?

Will Americans buy this techie assurance? Probably not.  The birds won't either. They may die in large numbers no matter what name they decide to call the disease by.

(added post)

I am deeply worried that countries are beginning to boycott our poultry.
There is certainly considerable pressure on those conducting tests and a high path positive could in effective cause all other nations to boycott our poultry.

There is a question of honesty versus the economic survival. If you were put in a position with the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs, maybe millions; billions of dollars in exports which all verged on the answer to one question and two birds - it would be a tough call.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 10:39am
MedClincian,

Just wanted to says thanks and glad to know you are still contributing to this forum. Your posts have helped me to better prepare my family. Many Thanks, Argyll.

Note: I shouldn't have asked the question on LPAI H5NI as I am afraid it is stirring the pot. Truly sorry about that, everyone.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 10:39am
Medclinician,

I am disappointed... and I am starting to believe that you are an alarmist!

To deny that low path exists is irresponsible and to jump to the conclusion that everything on the planet is high path will only scare those that do not have the training to differentiate.

You had my support in the past... however am I really sad that you are choosing to make these giant leaps.

Scientist never make statements without conclusive proof!

You do not know any of the particulars about this particular strain and yet you continue to make statements that would never hold up under peer review!

Those who read my posts will know that I am no fan of big business however I feel that the recent disclosure regarding the H5N1 infection is a step in the right direction....

For some of us there are no weekends. I'm beginning to see a consistent pattern of redefinition of things in many areas, and I think this is significant. I know I cannot keep up with the investment of research time that some others here seem to have. I do appreciate the data that is posted,  and have noted a term by Albert - MPAI - which is intriguing.

I think this is a reflection of a vary non-transparent effort to minimize a situation which is escalating. That is an agreement. If you don't want to have all the U.S. poultry banned, create a definition for high path which is so high, that our poultry exports can squeeze through, even if 60% of the birds are dying.

That does not leave me with a comfortable feeling. Just as revising alert levels, and glossing over "non-lethal", human safe strains, which later have turned pathogenic. There are specific cases where this has happened. It is not a "possible" phenomena. It is a recorded phenomena.

Low Path definition :

DeHaven points. out. “Typically, mortality could be. expected to run 10% to 20% in a normal  low path avian  influenza" <>

www.animalagriculture.org/poultry/2004PHR/phr_wn04.pdf

http://www.useu.be/Categories/Agriculture/Feb2304TexasBirdFlu.html

We know that H5 and H7 viruses can become highly pathogenic even if they start out as a low pathogenic form. And so any time we find an H5 or an H7 they are further classified or further testing is done to classify them as either highly pathogenic or low pathogenic. And again, that pathogenicity relates to their ability to cause disease and mortality in birds.

Two ways to declare a particular virus highly pathogenic. As I mentioned, one is by international standards that goes on the genetic sequencing of the virus. And it's on that basis that we're declaring this virus recovered in Texas as highly pathogenic.

The other way, the other pathogenicity testing, is determined by inoculating healthy chickens and monitoring their immune response and mortality over the course of a 10-day period. Those tests are still pending on the Texas virus at NVSL.

Comment: all advanced and complex sequencing aside, it would seem logical that low path kills less chickens, high path kills more chickens.
The question is - several years ago how many chickens in the % died was considered low path and what was considered high path - and have the definitions been changed so what was and is high path, can now be using genetic sequencing definitions be relabled low path.

Isn't this the real issue? If a strain jumps to humans, how many humans will die?

Question: how did countries feel even if the infection in poultry was "low path"?

Low-path Avian Influenza reported in Mexico   by Ann Bagel on 4/1/05 for Meatingplace.com   Mexico's Agriculture Ministry has reported an outbreak of low-pathogenic avian influenza in northern Mexico, in the state of Durango.

Early last week, bird flu fears prompted the slaughter of approximately 2 million chickens at a Tyson Foods processing plant. It is not known how the disease entered the country, but Mexico recently resumed poultry imports from Texas, which was affected by low-path AI last year.

Since the bird flu was not a high-pathogen strain, the outbreak was not reported to the World Health Organization.

Back to Dr. Dehaven>>>

DR. DEHAVEN: In terms of the difference in mortality between a low path and a high path -- and this will be a generalization; there's no hard and fast definition -- but typically with a low path virus we've isolated viruses in a situation where there has been no increase in mortality observed and other cases where it has gone as high as 30 or 40 or maybe 50 percent. Typically we would be looking at 10 to 20 percent mortality in, if there is such a thing, the normal low path avian influenza situation.

High-path on the other hand, we can have mortality that would be in the 20 to 30 percent range to nearly 100 percent. Some of these viruses-- while they may all be classed as highly pathogenic, some of them are far more pathogenic than others. This one would suggest that there has been clearly some increased mortality because of the nature of this particular premise, there does not appear to be very good records so we can't pinpoint that. Certainly there has been some increased mortality, but again based on the initial clinical picture we were saying that it looked more like low-path.

Final Questions :

Seems to me that things could get really confusing. One thing is very clear. You could have a highly pathogenic strain in terms of deaths classified as low path in terms of sequence. And of course in the mutation process in a chicken or person - you could have a low path virus which kills half the chickens or half the people?

Does this mean we could have a low path person virus that kills half the people. Would this be acceptable? Isn't this a little scary? Don't worry - its a low path strain.

Conclusion : So you have a very fancy fusion of politics, economics, and semantics. Unless of course you throw in the contagious factor. Please clarify. The birds are tested at Ames, found to have low path although 50% of the chickens die, the gene sequence shows it to be low path.

Would other countries be comfortable importing poultry which contains a virus that kills 50% of them?

Will Americans buy this techie assurance? Probably not.  The birds won't either. They may die in large numbers no matter what name they decide to call the disease by.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 11:22am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Jhetta Jhetta wrote:

Medclinician,

I am disappointed... and I am starting to believe that you are an alarmist!

To deny that low path exists is irresponsible and to jump to the conclusion that everything on the planet is high path will only scare those that do not have the training to differentiate.

You had my support in the past... however am I really sad that you are choosing to make these giant leaps.

Scientist never make statements without conclusive proof!

You do not know any of the particulars about this particular strain and yet you continue to make statements that would never hold up under peer review!

Those who read my posts will know that I am no fan of big business however I feel that the recent disclosure regarding the H5N1 infection is a step in the right direction....

To question as to whether the criteria what is low and high path has changed over the last few years is a fairly honest and appropriate enquiry. In basic research, and even the real world, we find in any discussion terms such as always, never, every, none are going to lead you into corners you can't get out of.

There is no substitute for data. You disagree and I respect that. But all the people on this forum are my peers. I am neither better nor worse than any or do I have the right to interpret reality for them. They are not children.  Each one can use a computer, is able to read, is educated, and is capable of reading basic ideas and forming their own opinions.

It is okay to put up information, ideas, links, and opinions. Obviously low path exists and is endogenous to a large percentage of the bird population. High path exists as well.

There is one significant typo that I cannot change on your quote and I can see why you might find it disturbing. Sometimes I do that, and have to edit my posts several times. The typo is a missing word "If" the specimens at Ames test 50% lethality. And I will actually apologize for that typo and change it.

Of course, I do not know what the strain is and would I guess before we have more data. I can see where this would lead you to be disappointed in me as a researcher and logical thinker. I will ammed this in my post. I think that one part is the core of what may be a misunderstanding here.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 5:19pm

The bottom line is protecting the economy... chicken is big here.
Go here .....to see how far they go to protect our chickens.
http://www.who.int/vaccine_research/about/gvrf_2004/en/gvrf_2004_palese.pdf

rH5N1 LPAI virus vaccine provides protection in chickens against lethal challenge with a human or chicken H5N1 isolate
........................................................................................................................................

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/queryd.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15297071&dopt=Abstract

Vaccination of poultry with inactivated influenza vaccine can be an effective tool in the control of avian influenza (AI). One major concern of using inactivated vaccine is vaccine-induced antibody interference with serologic surveillance and epidemiology.

In the United States, low pathogenicity H5 and H7 subtype AI viruses have caused serious economic losses in the poultry industry.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 5:24am
We are almost at the 10-14 days for test results.  I hope they are forthcoming in a timely manner.  And, that they are negative.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 5:47am
Sand,

I too am waiting for the results. Every day has been a coundown. I spent the last few weeks researching poultry biosecurity ( some good articles out of Maryland). I wanted to see how LPAI and HPAI both impact poultry farms. The biosecurity is pretty well set-up, so that is good.

Question: what might happen if the Ames test does come back as HPAI H5NI? Might there be some type of middle-of-the-road strain/level? What types of changes might we expect to see once results are announced? Is it likely the "zone will be flooded" with information -- either way? In other words, are we going to see an all-out educational "keep the flu away" campaign everywhere? Paper/ Poster, and Radio/TV? Is the information going to be standardized -- as in all the same message coming from say the HHS? or CDC? Might we soon see flu shot distribution centers set up everywhere?

Note: College D-Day was yesterday. There were "Cover Your Mouth" signs posted in every building I entered -- taken direct from the University of Minnesota. It was a very good poster campaign. The University is taking this pretty serious -- and that is a relief for me! Thanks, Argyll.

Note: found this John Hopkin's web link on pandemic threat.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 6:04am
Personally, although I think the gov does not have the ability to handle a full scale pandemic, I have faith that there will be some awareness raising programs implemented.  I think the media will take this story and run with it once we have confirmed H5N1 in us avians.  The media, thank god, likes  stuff they can sensationalize.  Let's hope I'm right about this.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 8:48am
Hope we hear something new on the follow-up tests results on the LPAI North American H5NI situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic