Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

How to Prepare for a Pandemic -- Seven Ba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Prepare for a Pandemic -- Seven Ba
    Posted: August 26 2006 at 8:20am
We are hoping to create a leaflet that we can distribute to the American public. It's purpose would be to educate and inspire Americans -- right now to begin prepping. This leaflet would be posted on the AFT web site as an educational material -- a printable document/poster. Our goal would be to design an easy to follow guide that can be distributed to media and the general public.

The following is a just a copy and we hope to get your input as to what other what topics should be included. I was inspired by the CDC and USDA/Homeland Security web sites and thought this was a great idea to reach the average American. We are 2165 strong here in AFT membership -- and this informational brochure has the potential to reach a lot of people. Perhaps, we can contact health departments, churches, emergency officials, and school organizations. Here are some ideas I came up with and I would love to hear what you ideas you might also have. Let's paper America and help them prepare for the future pandemic. Regards, Argyll. 

Note: This leaflet should also be adopted for use in other countries as well. This is a global future pandemic, so everyone should be included.

Preparing for Pandemic Influenza -- Seven Basic Steps.

1. Store enough non-perishable food and water for 1-3 months ( 2 months?). Include one gallon water per person each day. Remember to include your pets.

2. Stockpile all necessary prescription drugs.

3. Prepare a first aid emergency kit for your family. Include any special medical items ( N95 masks, plastic gloves, hand sanitizer, bleach) in addition to basic first aid items.

4. Collect and make copies of all important documents -- including medical records. Store in a waterproof container.

5. Store gas in an approved gas container for possible use in a generator.

6. Create a family emergency plan and keep in a special folder. This could include a first aid and survival book.

7. Protect your family by practicing healthy habits -- stop the spread of germs. Wash hands often, and cover your mouth and nose when sneezing. Practice social distancing.

For more information on how to prepare for pandemic influenza visit the pandemichelp.org web site at:

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 8:28am
argyll: can you change the title to read pandemic influenza instead of avian influenza

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:05am
cover updated below
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:08am
On the inside of the brochure there would be three sections unfolded. Can they be broken down into sections like: Home - Food - Family for example...with tips under each heading. Ease of reading...

Critiques Welcome! Change the graphic?

Change the layout?

Change the font?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:21am
Standingfirm,

That looks great! Is there anywhere in the leaflet we could insert a picture of a family? This graphics package is really nice -- I especially like the font and pandemichelp.org site on front. Really jumps out and commands your attention.

Check with Albert -- he is the man in charge. Thanks! Argyll,
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:27am
inside updated below
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:28am
Whatever Albert wants....I thought you checked this out with him already!!! Ouch

I will try to find a public domain family but there are singles out there and "different" sorts of families - makes it tough.

I can change anything and everything to suit.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:31am
On the reverse I thought about quotes from CDC FEMA CIDRAP-Osterholm

What do you think?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:34am
Will this brochure have a brief summary of why the need to prepare?  Pandemic, or other unpredictable emergencies?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:41am
Argyll? That may be good for the reverse and I can reference it on the front with an arrow and the word "why?"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:52am

Standingfirm and 4thegirls, great ideas! I think a simple paragraph inserted inside is a great idea. Would love to see what you all have in mind.

I did talk with Albert about the idea, but told him everything would have his final approval since he is the administrator. Hope he takes a look at this thread and we hear from him soon! Argyll.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:55am
I will keep playing until I hear
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 9:58am

I have an idea. How about a mission statement on the purpose of the brochure? What do you think? Something short and right to the point?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:27am
it is always good to know why someone is giving you information but I would lose it in favor of quotes from "authorities" that way the reader is arguing with those authorities....our mission matters little if our information is good. Brochures are limited spacewise
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:28am
I could use the space within the lines around the graphics for a mission statement as long as the readers eye isn't diverted from the main point.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:30am
cover updated below

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:32am
The mission statement or brief summary that 4thegirls suggested could also go on the bottom of the 7 points (inside portion) of the brochure.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:41am
inside updated below
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:55am

Very nice! I have a few  recommendations, take it for what it is worth.  change to read:

2. Stockpile all necessary prescription and non-prescription over the counter medications.

4. Collect and make copies of all important documents -- including medical records,a list of all relatives with names, addresses and phone numbers for emergency contact. Also include copies of family birth certificates, wedding certificates, firearms licenses, passports, driver licenses, law enforcement credentials. military ID cards and any other importatnt documents that may be required for identification, travel or special purpose. Store in a water proof and washable container.

5. Make preparations for extended electric power interuptions. This may include alternate power sources, ie. a gas generator and gas, solar or wind power, candles, matches, flashlights, alternate cooking methods, batteries, battery operated radios, wired phone that doesn't require batteries.

add these:

8. Make preparations for disruptions in heating fuel supplies including fuel oil, natural gas, propane, and normal wood delivery. This may include wood for use in a fieplace or wood stove, heavy blankets or sleeping bags, a winter freestanding backpacking tent to setup inside to retain body heat at night,

9. Make preparations for alternate water source disinfection. This will include regular un-scented bleach to disinfect municiple water supplies, local lake or stream water, rain water or other surface water that may be available.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:58am
new back posted below

VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 11:01am
Would change #1 to just food and make water its own item, something like:

Ensure enough water for one gallon per person each day.  This can be either stored clean water, or the means to purify water from outside sources.  (Perhaps a little more info or website on water purification)

For #2, should expand to:

If possible, obtain a 1-3 month supply of essential medications for all family members.

For #3, would list some items to be kept in a basic first aid kit (maybe in a separate box) and a brief description about what an N95 mask is, since this is likely to be a new term to many people.

Not sure about #5.  If you have a generator this is good advice, but maybe this should be a broader statement about what to do to get ready for possible utility disruptions.  For example: 

Prepare for possible interruptions in electric service with battery-powered lights and a radio, and a supply of batteries.  Consider obtaining a generator and storing fuel. 

Number 7 is good advice, but strictly speaking is about what to do during the outbreak, rather than beforehand.  What about 2 separate lists, 1 for preparation, and 1 for suggestions of what to do when it strikes?  (I know that it shouldn't be too long and there's a limit how much can be included.)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 11:03am

I looked up the Red Cross' mission statement and came up with idea for a mission statement for the brochure. All feedback welcome!

This brochure is supported in part by pandemichelp.org. A humanitarian forum, pandemichelp.org's primary mission is to inform and educate all people in order to prepare and respond to pandemic influenza. For more information visit: http://www.pandemichelp.org

Albert -- how does this sound? Is there a mission statement on file for pandemichelp.org? Please feel free to revise this in any way you deem necessary.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 11:10am
VTDoc,

Good points. Standingfirm, go ahead an revise to his specifications. Makes good sense. Throw out number 5 and add a line about the possiblity of utility disruptions. Thanks for all of your input! Argyll.

p.s. I like the idea about 2 brochures -- pre-pandemic and post-pandemic.

5. Use VtDoc -- it is excellent.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 11:14am
Standingfirm,

There are awesome ideas for revisions to this brochure. Feel free to adapt any to copy. I really like the graphic you have used -- Thanks Argyll.

p.s. Thanks Mach --great ideas indeed!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 11:41am
Any other revisions-I added some of my own so check this please.

1. Ensure enough water for one gallon per person each day.  This can be either stored clean water, or the means to purify water from outside sources. Include one gallon water per person each day. Remember to include your pets. Make preparations for alternate water source disinfection. This will include regular un-scented bleach to disinfect municiple water supplies, local lake or stream water, rain water or other surface water that may be available.

2. Stockpile all necessary prescription and non-prescription over the counter medications. If possible, obtain a 1-3 month supply of essential medications for all family members.

3. Prepare a first aid emergency kit for your family. Include any special medical items ( N95 masks, plastic gloves, hand sanitizer, bleach) in addition to basic first aid items.

4. Collect and make copies of all important documents -- including medical records,a list of all relatives with names, addresses and phone numbers for emergency contact. Also include copies of family birth certificates, wedding certificates, firearms licenses, passports, driver licenses, law enforcement credentials. military ID cards and any other important documents that may be required for identification, travel or special purpose. Store in a water proof and washable container. Include a letter from a utility company that proves residency of your home.

5. Prepare for possible interruptions in electric service with battery-powered lights and a radio, and a supply of batteries.  Consider obtaining a generator and storing fuel. As always store fuels in an approved fuel containers. Make preparations for disruptions in heating fuel supplies including fuel oil, natural gas, propane, and normal wood delivery. This may include wood for use in a fieplace or wood stove, heavy blankets or sleeping bags, a winter freestanding backpacking tent to setup inside to retain body heat at night.

6. Create a family emergency plan and keep in a special folder. This could include a first aid and survival book. Include plans on where to meet if seperated during an emergency.

7. Protect your family by practicing healthy habits -- stop the spread of germs. Wash hands often, and cover your mouth and nose when sneezing. Sneeze into the bend in your arm and not your hands. Practice social distancing.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 11:50am
Standingfirm,

Looks great. I liked the line about proof of residency. Is there a place in the list of 7 that we can state stockpiling non-pershiable foods say for two months? I am thinking 8 weeks based on the first wave which that said could last 8 weeks. People may read up on this and stock for longer, but for some this will require time to make financial arrangments if their bills are tight.  Maybe we can throw the food line in with the water recommendation?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 11:55am
1. Stockpile 8 weeks of non-perishable food needs to be stored in your home. This may require the assistance of other family members or that you assist family or neighbors in accomplishing this task. Also, ensure enough water for one gallon per person each day.  This can be either stored clean water, or the means to purify water from outside sources. Include one gallon of water per person each day. Remember to include your pets. Make preparations for alternate water source disinfection. This will include regular un-scented bleach to disinfect municiple water supplies, local lake or stream water, rain water or other surface water that may be available.

??? Argyll
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:06pm
back updated below

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:16pm
update posted below
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:51pm

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:53pm
any changes?

I can prepare this is word and as a pdf ready for printing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:56pm
Looks great. I would add only a little bit and maybe include the following:

1. Stockpile 8 weeks of non-perishable foods and store within your home. This food source will cover you in case there are any interruptions to receving adequate food supplies.

I thought maybe we should throw that line in  ( as to why 8 weeks)  because I saw that addressed in other pandemic guidelines. They basically said that stores might be closed, or refrigeration not available.

What do you think?

Has Albert chimed in today? Would love to get his feedback, too. Thanks! Argyll.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:58pm
Standingfirm,

I just have to say this looks absolutely fantastic -- awesome job. And to those who helped with the copy -- your ideas were outstanding.

Argyll.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:01pm
OK...I know I'll be under fire for this...but here goes. I feel pretty strongly that, when a person receives this for the first time, they will say "Food for 1 to 3 months...yeah, Right...I can barely keep my family fed now". I just think that number will put off a lot of people who would normally not see it as a huge task to store, say a couple of weeks worth of food and water, and they might simply toss the leaflet out. I am prepped for 4 months, but I started out prepping for just 2 weeks. I've heard many on this forum say "What good will 2 weeks of preps do?" I'll tell you: If all or most people only prepped for a couple of weeks (including batteries, etc.) we would almost entirely avoid panic buying and cleaned out grocery shelves in the first days. It could buy suppliers time to adjust their "just-in-time delivery" systems to better accommodate the demand. It will buy us time!!!! If I were printing the flyer, I would say that each family should store a MINIMUM of 2 weeks worth of food, water and meds. JMHO, you know...
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:01pm
we can always make changes later....

I will post links where people can download a copy after we get Alberts final approval. OK argyll? It was great working with you all on this!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:02pm
But Legacy, that is the reality-they need that much food and water and they have to take the responsibility for trying.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:03pm
Legacy,

That is an excellent point. Maybe what we should do is ask Albert what he thinks we should put to copy. Anything is better than nothing. Thanks for your feedback as I really appreciate it. Argyll.
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:09pm
No...thank you argyll. It is an outstanding flyer. I just want readers to act on it. Standingfirm, I hear you, and that's why I think we should put a minimum of 2 weeks. People in this forum are prepped from 2 weeks to 2 years, and "How much is enough" seems to be a profoundly personal choice. While you may think that anything less than 6 months is "suicide"(I'm not saying that's what you think, but I know that many do),
others may disagree. I just don't want to scare readers into not prepping at all. Thanks for your feedback!
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:12pm
I understand where you are coming from...i am not that prepared myself and it is frustrating. If you give people a minimum of 2 weeks that may be all they prepare for. Its a tough dilemma and you bring up a good point.

Wouldn't it be great if we could get the US Postal Service to deliver it to every household...a not very realistic dream but what an impact that would make!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:17pm
Dear Everyone,

It has been honor working with you on this pandemic leaflet project. I do think it could get people moving in that direction -- making plans beforehand for a pandemic. That is the key. We have been told it's going to happen at some point in the future and the time is now to prepare.

This leaflet will help people on a realistic level prepare. It is written by the people for the people so that makes it all the more powerful. I hope we can secure a donation to cover materials and get it distributed. I do think posting it online and forwarding to all email news receipents could be helpful.

It's nothing new as far as it's recommendations go, but it is unique in that it was designed by everyday Americans. Perhaps, this will be the key to getting Americans to listen and respond.

Many Thanks,

Argyll.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:22pm
Thanks argyll and it really was a pleasure for me too.

The brochure printed and in hand really has an impact! It gave me goose bumps....

I agree that this could make a huge impact. Argyll, you had a wonderful, wonderful idea! Thanks again.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:43pm
cover updated below
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 2:24pm
wow.  I'm just getting back.  I like these ideas.   Good job on using PHO instead of AFT.   AFT seems to scare people, literally, with the forum colors, h5n1 theme, etc ... 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 2:26pm
Albert,

I put together a mission statement? What do you think?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 2:31pm
argyll: i just emailed a link to Albert so he can print them out...when printing you may receive a prompt about the border on one, just ignore the warning if you get one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic