Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

How to Prepare for a Pandemic -- Seven Ba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 10:18pm

Again, great job!  This is probably the first (and may be the only) reference to serious personal preparedness the public will see.   And you made it happen - congrats!  Argyll, since you brought some good ideas about where to distribute this, should we start a new thread on that?  I'd like to hear more ideas on this, and also on the regulations (such as not leaving it in mailboxes) and any other thoughts people may have.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 10:26pm
Standingfirm,

I wanted to see if you have two final copies for the pandemic brochure inside and outside. Thanks! Argyll.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 10:28pm
Albert,

I have sent off a few emails with the pandemic seven step brochure listing the pandemichelp.org as the referenced web site. Can you put something on that site that might forward them over to AFT for addtional information? Perhaps it already does that I am unaware of. Thanks, Argyll.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 11:23pm
Gulf Coast moma, thanks for the reply.  best of luck to all on the project, i will have dd print them off to give out
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 4:40am
Perhaps we can email them to each state health department and local government officials. We should have an introductory email, like a cover letter, that we can use as a template. We can also email them to some company headquarters and media outlets. An email is a lot quicker. Then we can follow up with hand delivery within our localities. Just a thought.

I think what we have up there is the final copy as people have printed them out and have said that they look clear etc.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 4:42am

When considering where to place these pamphlets....Don't forget the back doors of churches.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 6:05am
Thanks MaryR great idea!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 6:18am
Standingfirm et al,

I have a quesion after reading the brochure. If I have a well and a generator to operate the well, once I were to bring up well water (during a pandemic) could I then treat the well water with bleach to kill anything that might be in the water? I

If that is the case, then well water could be an invaluable water supplyif one has a generator to "bring it to the surface." How would I treat the well water if advised -- bleach, tablet? Thanks, Argyll.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 7:58am

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 9:06am
Argyll, we could make a series of brochures...that is what my husband and I were thinking about. We have tons of categories covered here. Security, Schooling, Retail outages, Household Helps, Recipes and Cooking Ideas, Cleanliness, The med. people could come up with generic medical tips. Albert?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 10:47am
Standingfirm,

Great idea. I am eager to get one out to colleges soon. My son called today and has conjunctivitis already. Tomorrow will be week one for him. He's never had it before, so I redrilled the no touching the face with bare hands and changing of contact lenses with plastic gloves. It's unsettling to say the least. He has a pretty strong immune system -- rarely gets ill.

I have a the head contact for all the Virginia health departments. I can email just as soon as we have a intro copy. There are over 20 depts. in VA, so it's a start. The admin. asst. told me that the idea sounded very helpful.

Can't wait to send this brochure off to the major newspapers -- do you want to split them up for contact? Are there others they showed interest?

It seems like based on the news releases for the 12 hours flu chip test, that things are moving along rapidly. The sooner we get this out, the better. Time is of the essence. Thanks so much, Argyll.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by 4thegirls 4thegirls wrote:

Originally posted by 4thegirls 4thegirls wrote:

I wonder about the very back under "Why Now?"    should it state a certain number of people infected,  since this number will constantly change?  Or should it be more generic like:

" Infections have been mainly in birds, but of those humans infected over half have died."

Just thinking this would keep the facts relavant over time

Any comments about the numbers infected?   Instead of saying 200 infected   ....  since this number will change

Sorry to keep asking ...  think this is important
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 12:44pm
I agree...Argyll?

I will have to start following these revisions by date so we can keep track. Easy enough to change.

I just emailed these to my state rep. I will let you all know if I get a response.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 1:10pm

SF, this looks and reads great!  Thumbs Up

Just a couple of typos in the final Michael Osterholm paragraph:  need to insert a space in the first sentence between Preparedness, and says...
in the second paragraph add a comma after "says" (Michael Osterholm says, ) before his quote.     Hope I remembered that correctly, I can't seem to toggle back and forth between that page and this reply.

Everyone who worked on this - you guys rock!!!Clap
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 2:39pm
thanks for spotting that! I am still doing my other job...a couple more hours and I should be good to go....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 4:19pm
Great Flyer,
If it hasn't been mentioned, please change the daily water estimate to 10 gallons a day per person. The one gallon a day if for keeping a body alive only. There will be many other uses for water.
There is a good web site for water containers. There is one that is designed for the back of a pick-up truck.

VtDoc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 7:00pm
I agree with 4thegirls.  In fact, I was thinking of the same thing today.  It's not a big deal, but it would probably give it longer "shelf life."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 7:39pm
K, i can look into it now...i just finished my other job
brb
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 8:07pm
updated to reflect 4thgirls suggestion and the spelling errors.

Doug, people are going to have to stretch at 3 gallons. I know I am.

I will work on the cover letter in the am. I have been glued to this computer for the past 15 hours Confused

Good night folks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 5:59am
SF et al,
What a wonderful job you have all done. Your time, effort and dedication will very likely save lives, How sad that it takes citizens of this great nation to have to make sure that the rest of the citizens have an opportunity to be informed of a very real threat. I am in awe of the way you guys came together and did this thing! All i can say is KUDOS, KUDOS, KUDOS! Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 6:36am
Thanks, it was mostly argyll et al.

There are so many other brochures to make. Recipes, safety tips, meds, i could go on and on....
femvet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 8:25am
Argyll and all others, what a fantastic job!Thumbs Up I'm sorry that I didn't contribute, my computer was on the blink and I'm trying to catch up. So, it may be too late, but in case there will be revisions later, I thought it would be a good idea to reference to the official web-sites form the govt., WHO and CDC. If there are only references to private sites, I'm afraid it would be just one more reason to be ignored. When you think how hard it is to get people motivated to prepare when a major hurricane is coming, it will be that much more difficult to get them motivated for BF.
Namaste
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 9:08am

Standing firm did a ton of work which should be acknowledged! And, thanks to all the others who wrote copy -- this really was a collaborative effort!!

Two things:

1. Can we get hyperlinks on pandemichelp.org for the cover letter and brochure?

2. Can we post the hyperlinks on the front of both pandemichelp and AFT?(please visit our other web site AFT, or Pandemichelp for more information?)

Thanks!

Argyll.
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 9:39am
I just wanted to say what a fantastic job you guys have done. Keep up the good work.      
b4giving
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 10:40am
What I learned....

This is a new medium for collaboration so I'd like to document my experience working collaborately with like-minded individuals. Amazing! That about sums it up.

Every little bit helps so help where you can. Constructively and usefully opine. A criticism and then a suggestion works.
Never over criticize especially if you've nothing to follow it up with. This just tears the team down.

Gotta be honest here so others may take initiative.

This helped:
constant encouragers!
useful and constructive criticism
constant input
find your most comfortable place to serve.
Go for it attitude of others building on each others ideas.

You guys had all the positives and none of the negatives. I truly mean that this was a team effort. Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 11:52am
I went back to make sure that i didn't leave out any suggestions. We got moving so fast i was afraid that I may have missed some and I did.

Please check the final copy as there are revisions in #1, #2 and #6

Let me know if there is anything else that you can spot....

still learningHug
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 11:56am
Hi all,
I just read the entire thread, and it is great! It is wonderful to see not only the end product and flyer, but to see how everybody contributed and collaborated. Thank you so much Argyll and Standingfirm (and everybody) for doing this, it looks great!

All that said, I would like to make a comment about the amount of food to store. It has been discussed a little already, but I also think that 8 weeks sounds like a lot to most people. I’ve always balked at the fact that the government calls for two weeks, but doing this flyer has made me think.

I think that the 8 weeks may cause people to disregard the flyer altogether, thinking “these people have gone overboard”. My sister-in-law is a single Mom with two teenage boys, and eats out everyday at different fast food places with them and has practically nothing in the house. She would despair at the thought, and not try at all.
On the other end 2 weeks might make some people think they are all set, since they have some food on hand already.

Could “several weeks” work, or “4 to 6 weeks”? My thinking is, once the people who get the flyer go the PHO site etc, and start learning about this threat, they themselves will come to the conclusion (or read it at the site) that several weeks isn’t sufficient and expand their preps. But then you’ve got them going already.

This is just my input. If you don’t want to change it, I understand. I myself have about 6 months of food now, and agree with you about its importance. I’m just keeping in mind the nature of man, how most people’s responses to date hasn’t been much, after much government warning and movies like Fatal Contact etc. Everybody is busy, has little money etc. etc., so even if a lot of food is essential, I think it might scare people away.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 12:06pm
that is just too ironic...that is what I changed. Weird......
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 12:25pm
Sorry, I hadn't seen that, SF.
I went to the AFT Brochure Links thread, but can't seem to make the link work.

Anyway, thanks again for all your work, SF!(You must spend here as much time as Albert, I saw you have more than 500 posts since August 1st!)It is a great flyer!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 1:19pm
i have an online job, actually 2 totally different ones, so I sure am on here a lot. Let me try that link again....

grace: three post up from this one, or is it four?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 3:33pm
A  W o r k    o f     A r t   !!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 5:49pm
I got it, thanks Standingfirm!

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 10:25pm
Frankiew. I like your super-flu term. I know when I say bird flu ,people laugh becuase they think about chickens or birds falling sick like in a cartoon type way with the flu and a thermometer in their mouth. I think I may use this...if they ask what the super-flu is then I'll maybe go into it from there. Don't know yet.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic