Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What should healthcare workers do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Should healthcare workers go to their jobs during an H5N1 pandemic?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
47 [13.24%]
100 [28.17%]
208 [58.59%]

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:18pm

This is what "health expert" Michael Osterholm of the University of Minnesota says about preparedness.

Scroll down to bold print {my emphasis}

US companies must ready for flu pandemic: Leavitt
Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:17 PM GMT
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS      

By Andrew Stern

MINNEAPOLIS (Reuters) - U.S. companies must pitch in to help prepare for what scientists believe could be a devastating influenza pandemic, Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said on Tuesday.

Leavitt repeated the message he has been hammering home to states -- they can expect little help from the federal government and need to get their emergency plans in order.

"Avian flu, when it occurs, will severely test the best-laid plans ... and many companies are not making any plans at all," Leavitt told a conference on business preparedness for the anticipated bird flu pandemic.

H5N1 avian influenza has spread among flocks across Asia and into Europe. It has been found in Italy, Slovenia and Nigeria.

While it has infected just 168 people, killing 90 of them, experts fear the virus will mutate just enough to allow it to pass easily from person to person. If it does so, it could cause a catastrophic pandemic.

The U.S. Congress has approved $3.6 billion in funding out of $7.1 billion requested by President George W. Bush to prepare for a pandemic that some scientists estimate could kill more than 300 million people globally.

An organizer of the conference, public health expert Michael Osterholm of the University of Minnesota, outlined scenarios where corpses will pile up and vital global supply lines will disintegrate as the pandemic takes hold and up to 60 percent of the world's population becomes infected.

Still, 98 out of 100 people will likely survive, and that must be prepared for too, he said.

HOSPITAL BEDS, VENTILATORS, AND SURGICAL MASKS AND GLOVES WILL RUN OUT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, Osterholm said.

Leavitt read a scenario in which every porch had a casket, there was no work and men were kept busy digging graves.

"This is not a Stephen King novel I am reading from," Leavitt said. He was reading from a Kentucky coal miner's account of the catastrophic consequences of the 1918 influenza pandemic that killed between 20 million and 100 million people worldwide.

'OVERDUE AND ILL-PREPARED'

"We are overdue, and ill-prepared. Local communities are going to have to take the lead," Leavitt said. "Those expecting the federal government to ride in and come to their rescue are going to be sorely disappointed."

Government itself is ill-prepared for its workers as well, said a senior analyst from Congress' investigative arm, the Government Accountability Office.

"I don't think anybody is up to speed yet," said Judith Kordahl, who is attending the two-day conference. The GAO is doing research for several reports on the topic of bird flu preparedness.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, which was criticized for its belated response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina, was just getting around to offering advice to companies on how to keep operating during a pandemic, Kordahl said.

Most disaster preparedness planning is designed to inform workers about what to do if something were to happen to one's office building should a local disaster hit, such as a localized natural disaster or an explosion of a "dirty bomb" that spreads nuclear contamination, several attendees said.

Without an immediate vaccine, or enough medications to fight the infection that can overwhelm the lungs, many workers will merely be told to work from home and to avoid contact with others, they said.

Leavitt said checklists for businesses and families are being prepared to reveal weaknesses and enhance planning, but acknowledged it was difficult to get people to act before the actual crisis hits.

"Let's acknowledge that anything we say before a pandemic occurs feels like an exaggeration, feels alarmist. But anything said afterward, it shows a lack of preparation," Leavitt said.

"Is this Y2K all over again? Is this crying wolf? This (pandemic) will happen with certainty. We don't know if H5N1 is the spark ... in 1918 they had no idea what was coming."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 8:45pm

Background Bird flu questions and answers

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent
WASHINGTON, Feb 2 (Reuters)

- U.S. flu experts are resigned to being overwhelmed by an avian flu pandemic, saying hospitals, schools, businesses and the general public are nowhere near ready to cope.
Money, equipment and staff are lacking and few states have even the most basic plans in place for dealing with an epidemic of any disease, let alone the possibly imminent pandemic of H5N1 avian influenza, they told a meeting on Thursday.

While a federal plan has been out for several weeks, it lacks essential details such as guidance on when hospitals should start to turn away all but the sickest patients and when schools should close, the experts complained.
"There is no way at this time that we can even plan for this epidemic," said Dr. Roger Baxter of the University of California San Francisco and associate director of the Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center.

"We could be easily overwhelmed," Baxter told the meeting organized by the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
"A lot of our facilities are old, with no isolation facilities," Baxter said.
H5N1 avian influenza has swept through flocks across Asia and into Europe, killing or forcing the culling of 200 million birds. It sometimes infects people and has infected 161 documented patients, killing 86 of them.
Experts say the virus is mutating steadily and poses the biggest threat yet for a long-expected global influenza pandemic if it acquires the ability to pass from person to person.
The world has not seen a flu pandemic since 1968, and that one was mild by most measures. The global public health system has crumbled as people enjoyed the respite from disease, experts say.
Now they are scrambling to fix it up, but say it is too big a job to do it quickly.
NOWHERE TO TURN
Dr. Dan Hanfling, director of emergency management and disaster medicine at the Inova Health System in Falls Church, Virginia, said hospitals in the Washington, D.C., area would be flooded with patients with nowhere to put them.
"There are going to be many, many people coming to the hospital because they are worried they may have been exposed," Hanfling said.
If there was just a 10 percent infection rate, that would mean 500,000 sick people in the Washington, D.C., area, Hanfling calculated. Some models assume that 20 percent of these people would need to be treated in hospitals.

*****"We are talking about finding 100,000 places," Hanfling said. "We have 7,800 staffed beds."
And hospitals are already filled to capacity with everyday illnesses.

"We'll still have heart attacks. We'll still have strokes. We'll still have babies to deliver," Hanfling told the meeting.

*****He cited one survey that showed only 66 percent of health care workers would show up for work if they thought patients might infect them. And an expected 25 percent could be out sick themselves, or caring for sick family members.

Dr. Trish Perl, president of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America and director for infection control at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore said she did a quick estimate of how many masks, for instance, a hospital would need to get through a pandemic outbreak.
A protective face mask is standard equipment for use in caring for patients with respiratory disease such as flu.
A 600-bed hospital would need 1.6 million masks to get through six weeks -- and that is assuming the hospital eases up on rules requiring workers to wear a fresh mask at each encounter with each patient, Perl said.

Estimated 41% workforce ......with at least 10x the patients.

MK
seesthelight View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seesthelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:49pm
this is an interesting dicussion, i guess we will see how things get handled

Edited by seesthelight
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 5:19pm

Now the idea of planning for protecting healthcare workers includes reusing masks [Iquess they are just to expensive to buy - would riun that bottom line] and the best is last  they are looking into using MUSLIN for masks.  Minnasota is fast tracking this oh boy that will make me sleep better How stupid do these people think we are? At this point I will choose a jail sentance before I go near a healthcare facility.

Im getting out of this profession all together this is insane.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 5:47pm
Janetn, let's do a little math, okay?

There are roughly 5000 hospitals in the US. Approximately 1,000,000 staffed beds. Hospitals admit roughly 36 million patients a years.   The medium size of a hospital in this country is 200 beds.

To make things easy, lets take a 200 bed hospital (we'll multiply x 5000 later to get national totals <g>).

I've seen estimates that say a 200 bed hospital would need over 530,000 masks to last the staff for a six week pandemic.   Optimistic, to think a wave would only last 6 weeks, but we'll use that number.

530,000 x 5000= 2.65 BILLION masks.

And this doesn't count nursing homes (another 2 million patients) or ad hoc hospitals set up during a pandemic.

Now add in gloves, gowns, IV's, and other disposables.  The numbers become staggering. Is it about budgets? Yep, I'm sure that's part of it. But it will also be about supply.   Where do we get 2.65 Billion masks?  They are all manufactured offshore.  Other countries will be clammoring for them, too.   Even if you could afford them, where do you store them?

Worldwide, the demand will be 10x greater. Maybe more. 

Like it or not, we have to cross that bridge between what is ideal and what is possible.  Ideally, we'd have enough of everything we needed in a pandemic. The realitity is we will have to make do with what we can get.

Can we do better?  Yep, and we'd better get on the stick. But it isn't always about bean counters. No matter what we do, we will have to live with less than ideal circumstances.  Finding a way to resuse masks will be imperative. Muslin, while certainly not ideal, is better than nothing.

Do I like it?  No, not one damn bit.  But I do accept it.

I'm sorry you want out of the profession. We're gonna need as many people as we can get.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 6:45pm

The numbers are amazing.

If you go to a hospital today, it may have a  very busy ER (but most are able to handle patients within a reasonable time). But we are looking at a hospital that is operating at near 100% efficiency of staff, supplies, utilities, food, water and community support.

Now lets look at the hospital where 20-30% of the community is trying to get treatment for the 15 symptoms of H5 Flu. Throw in a staff absentee rate of 40-50% due to illness and sick kids at home. Add lack of supplies caused from the "just-in-time" system of manufacturing and delivery. The system is overwhelmed. 

So what will probably happen?   

My guess is the Feds will step in. But not with the things to "make everything all better". They'll step in by suspending the Bill of Rights, conscripting medical personnel and medically treating those people that are deemed crucial to keep the Government functioning and those who can protect those crucial people.

This senario was discussed during the Hot Days of the Cold War. The Government will survive.

So what can a person do?

Come to terms with the huge numbers discussed in the above posts. Come to terms that your town and maybe a thousand others in your country will be screwed for months. Come to terms that you may be living in a community that now has the technology of 1806. Come to terms that if you live in the US, the Government will excercise what is needed to survive.

If you think the pandemic is coming, learn all you can about the medical and social aspects of community disruption (like on the Avian Forum). Be a serious Prepper and cope, enjoy your life and teach others if you thinks they are ready to listen.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 4:03am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 4:07am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 12:36pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 5:03pm

Good point

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:18am
I am a 38 yo mother of 2 boys, 7 and 4. I am also a nurse. Once I am exposed to this deadly bug, I could not come back home to my children until the pandemic was over. not to mention my employer, a family owned rehabilitaion company, (ortho injuries) has yet to even mention his prparations or plans for this event. As of this post, I think my priorities lie with my children.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:24am

Welcome aboard Carman.  I agree with you 110%.

I look forward to your future contributions.

SZ

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:46am
Originally posted by carmannurse carmannurse wrote:

I am a 38 yo mother of 2 boys, 7 and 4. I am
also a nurse. Once I am exposed to this deadly bug, I could not come
back home to my children until the pandemic was over. not to mention
my employer, a family owned rehabilitaion company, (ortho injuries) has
yet to even mention his prparations or plans for this event. As of this
post, I think my priorities lie with my children.

I'm playing the devil's advocate.

What do you think your chances of returning home to your children are,
after the pandemic(s) are eventually over (even with Tamilfu)? Do you
have any concerns about bringing home a lethal pathogen? This is an
issue in light of the dearth of information with this virus and it's
progeny. I ask this because many people will have to deal with this issue
in one form or the other, including myself. I suppose the final answer is,
dependent on you particular situation, and if the facility you work in
provides you with the proper protection, whatever that might be. I'm not
here to judge, and nobody else has the right to do it either. We are all
here for the same purpose, to help each other.

My 2-cents.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 8:42am
Rick,
Thank you for your opinion. I am presently caring for a patient with active aids, and 2 with hep. c. Not to mention the cases of staff and an antibiotic RESISTANT germ called MRSA (METHACILLIN RESISTINT STAPH. AREUS) bUT AVIAN FLU SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME!!!! Being a nurse is ten times riskier than when I started 16 years ago. I can see where people would stay and help, I probably would before my children were born, but I now have their health and welfare as my first priority.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:05am
I've worked with VRE, MRSA, AIDS, Hep., staph, & C.Diff, and I agree, avian flu is more hideous.

Yep, our children need us, as the Lord entrusted them to us to provide and protect.

Good mom! : )

Mary Kay RN

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 2:48am
Pandemic bill raises alarm

Health-care workers could face fines of up to $100,000
and jail if they refuse to work.

FREE PRESS, London Ontario Canada, March 1, 2006

Sweeping new Ontario emergency legislation has health-care workers
afraid they may be forced to choose between protecting their families and
a jail sentence if a flu pandemic hits the province.

Bill 56 has raised alarms with doctors, nurses and other health-care
workers because it contains a clause that gives the Ontario cabinet power
to "authorize" any person reasonably qualified to provide services in a
declared emergency.

The penalty for violating the proposed law is a fine of up to $100,000 and
a year in jail for each day the order isn't obeyed.

"That's a big stick," said Goderich emergency department doctor Ken
Milne.

Milne said yesterday doctors and other health-care workers want to care
for people but shouldn't be forced to work if anti-viral drugs aren't
available to them and their families.

"What happens when you come home at night and you have a tickle in
your throat. Do you want to expose your wife, your kids to something
because you have answered the call?

"It is one thing to lose your dad or your mother, it is another thing to
bring it home and wipe out your family," he said.

Dr. Merrilee Fullerton of Kanata, near Ottawa, said as a mother her first
duty is to her dependent children, even in the face of a flu pandemic.

"I have already given the best years of my life training to become a
physician and in providing care. Now that I have a family, do not ask me
to sacrifice myself in a pandemic for which most medical treatments will
be useless anyway, and in which health-care resources like respirators
are likely to be overwhelmed," she wrote in an e-mail to The Free Press.

In introducing the legislation in December, Community Safety and
Correctional Services Minister Monte Kwinter said he wanted the bill
passed by June.

Kwinter said the law will give the government the ability to say to people:
"No, you can't leave. We need you to do this job."

Responding to members' concern about being "conscripted," the Ontario
Medical Association has raised the issue with Kwinter's ministry and the
Health Ministry.

Association president Dr. Greg Flynn said he's been assured the
legislation isn't meant to let government force health professionals to
work against their will.

Yesterday, the Health Ministry referred questions about the bill to
Kwinter's ministry, which didn't return calls.

A spokesperson for the Ontario Nurses Association said its legal analysts
are still studying the bill's meaning.

"We have great concerns about the bill," said Vicki McKenna, first vice-
president of the ONA.

"The reality is, our nurses are on the front lines, at the bedside and they
are the ones at the highest risk of exposure."

Nurses are prepared to provide care but want the proper protective gear
such as the correct masks when a flu pandemic hits, McKenna said.

"We aren't getting those assurances at this time," she said.

Tim Carrie, chairperson of the Canadian Auto Workers union, Local 27,
which represents registered practical nurses at London hospitals, said Bill
56 fits with other legislation from Dalton McGuinty's Liberal government,
which gives it all sorts of arbitrary powers.

"It obviously gives us concern. It looks like they are trying to centralize
power at Queen's Park," he said.

page=nt.news.story&resource=4454133"> http://www.nursingtimes.net/
nav?page=nt.news.story&resource= 4454133
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 3:29am
Somebody better break the news to Dakota.....  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:32am
gulp!...... Ooooh baby!

Praise God I'm an American!

MK RN ; )
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Mary Kay Mary Kay wrote:

gulp!...... Ooooh baby!
Praise God I'm an American!

MK RN ; )

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/05/bush.reax/

http://www.columbian.com/news/APStories/AP03022006news9294.c fm

I hope they won't be as relaxed this time.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:25am

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=74763&ntpid=4

* A new rapid 75-minute test has been recently developed by a European
company. They are touting it to be reliable the first time around.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:36am

As if the rest of the world had imagination either!  We all want to put our heads in the sand until it's all gone........................................................ ........................................................

Gee it didn't go away

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by siameselade siameselade wrote:

As if the rest of the world had imagination
either! 
We all want to put our heads in the sand until it's all
gone........................................................ .................................................

Gee it didn't go away

I agree. I found a dead bird outside my bedroom recently.
My public health unit said "we don't test for H5N1, you'll have to find a
lab yourself and pay for it". So I say to myself, do I want to trust the safety
of my family to people like these, or do I put my faith in the forum and
my own research?

Unfortunately the WHO has no official position about the public wearing
masks during a pandemic. It's like taking no official position on wearing
seat belts in cars. That does not sound right to me.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:52pm

Rick, Thanks for the Martial Law post.

Mary Kay, If the Feds consider a U.S pandemic a threat to national security, Rights may be suspended and medical professionals and others may be conscripted to treat essential personnel to protect the Union. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 8:53pm

Well, at gunpoint,.... I may have a change of heart! : O

LOL!

Mary Kay RN

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 4:25pm

Good point.   

keegs2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 9:52am
I do not think that hospitals are prepared for this at all. I know that we do not have n-95 masks  readily available to us in the hospital. We are not fitted with special masks when we are exposed to airbourne diseases in the OR. i AM PRETTY SURE THAT THEY WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH TAMIFLU TO GO AROUND. I have a familly and kidsand my first concern is them but I would be will\ing to go to work if they could assure me rthat I would be safe and so would my family. That means if I get tamiflu then my family gets it too!
Kristine Cover
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 7:49pm
Here's the way it'll be at my house.  I'm a FF/EMT-P, and my wife is an ER RN.  Between us we have over 55 years in the medical field.  She will be staying home and taking care of our children, son-15 and daughter-13.  I have extensive training in Haz-Mat and WMD (and spent 5 years as the lead FD based Tactical Medic in my county), and I'll be going to work.  There is no real altruistic reason for this other than I can take care of myself, and still keep watch over my family and neighborhood while on duty.  And it keeps a check coming in.  I also feel that it will be safer for me on the move than what an ER will be like once the chaos sits in (about 5 minutes after it goes h2h).
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 7:53pm

Terms1,

Welcome aboard. Your insights will be valuable to the forum. As you look around you will see several folks from ff emt land too. Any q's?  just ask this is a friendly place. if you have any answers let it out.- Kevin

Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 1:36am

I have told my wife who is and RN she is staying home. She of course will want to go....

I told her that  is a basically useless and that  unless her HMO had prepositioned container freight after container freight of supplies which would cost money) she is not going to be doing anything for anybody. No supplies = no healthcare. Some one said that nurses-doctors would be hooking up and monitoring ventilators. there will be none to be had. 

Her hospital runs at close to 90% most of the time.Supplies are delivered just in time( they do not have real stock of anything.) ER waits are out of flu season are many times over 8 hrs.

In a pandemic lets say a 1000 people show up most with acute symptoms of bird flu. The wait would be days, riots would most likely break out.People are going to be at their emotional limits, violence will occur. Should they let non-HMO  people in? Let say they let Everybody in, is there a priority for members? No matter what can you imagine the suits you would see for taking care of an illegal alien over the children of the HMO members? It is simply unworkable. alot of the people waiting would die  during the wait ( that is if it is only as deadly as the 1918 virus)

It will most likely end healthcare as we know it, just from and economic standpoint.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
keegs2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 5:21am

Fastcard,

Although I am not a nusrse I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT i WILL HAVE TO GO TO WORK THAT STAYING HOME COULD LEAD ME TO BE UNEMPLOYED. Now let me think about this .....Death or no job its a no brainer! I can always get anouther job. I am a surgical tech now and I WAS a cERTIFIED dIETARY manager so I can work either field. I am worried for my family more than myself. We work on the run out of things then reorder policy where I work so we will be out of supplies fast!

Kristine Cover
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 5:45am

Conscription, the drafting of civilians into the armed forces, has always entitled governments to shoot those who refuse to risk their lives whilst acting for their country. This has always been enthusiastically backed by that portion of the civilian population that is safely immune from its results and terrors. At some point plain commonsense is redefined as cowardice because it is in the personal interests of those who do it.

In times of war this collective barbarity is sometimes necessary for the greater good but the power to send our troops to their deaths is frequently abused for economic or political purposes. Military leaders are well aware of the effects of low morale and they use their powers of compulsion with great reluctance.

Those who work in the medical profession, the fire service, the police force, mountain rescue etc. are not members of the armed forces. There is no point in extrapolating or investigating this statement of plain fact.

The people who work for these essential services are civilians. We are all grateful that they do, on occasion, risk their lives in order to save others. They do this for us. They do not do it for central government and they do not do it under the threat of a firing squad. There is a very clear line of distinction between these two very different rolls and any attempt to move or blur this line is deceitful and morally wrong.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 6:23am
Someone rattle your cage today Scotty?

If it comes to it, I'll don the tin hat and bayonet and play at being Pike in
'Dad's Army'. 'They dont like it up 'em...'

HD
wishing you peace
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:27am
I'm having a bad hair day
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:56am

I heard the Canadians were going to conscript medical personal but not in the US.

Has anyone heard the US congress raising this issue?

I'm esp. concerned as I have handicapped children at home and am the sole parent. Who would take care of my children?

This is scary.

Mary Kay RN
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:15am
I live in S/E MI and we have a lot of Canadian Nurses that work in our area hospitals.  If they are forced into indentured servitude in their own country that is really going to cause a major hit on staffing on this side of the border, should anyone actually show up to work in a hospital.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:18am

Keep in mind that drafting health professionals has been done before during times of war.  If you did not show up, you were jailed as a draft dodger.  If drafting health care professionals was done during a pandemic, I do not know what they would do if someone refused.  Maybe they would jail you until you consented to work.... 

On a personal note, I am a RN with a degree in public health and currently own a small business.  My husband works for a health insurance company in a vital position and will be forced to work in order to keep the insurance company running.  We have an 8 year old son.  If I am drafted, they would be forcing us to abandon our son - to make us give our son to someone else to take care of while all of this is taking place.  We do not feel comfortable giving him to someone else to raise.  Currently, I am not working for a hospital or clinic, but because I have previous experience working in these areas as well as working in the public health arena for several years, a potential draft situation concerns me and my husband.  Lets hope it never happens....

keegs2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 12:29pm

Mary Kay,

I believe they are leaving it up to the hospital and their need and where it crops up first! But I know where my hospital stands!

Kristine Cover
gricha56 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gricha56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 7:04pm

How do I describe myself?  Navy Hospital Corpsman.  Retired.  Some experience with Malaria, Yellow Fever, Polio, Rift Valley Fever and many types of sexually transmitted diseases.  More than a little experience with mass casualties.  I wouldn't go anywhere near a hospital at the height of a pandemic.  And neither will sick people.  I have a good idea what this illness does to lung tissue.  Many have mentioned SARS in their posts, and I find that to be very appropriate.  They have much in common. Pathologists describe the injury caused by the pneumonia of this virus as a burn of the lung tissue.  The odds are you will not survive that injury.   If by some miracle you do,  you are not going to enjoy robust health ever again.  They can put me in jail if they want to, but I'm not bringing  the bug home to my babies

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 7:18am
Originally posted by TERMS 1 TERMS 1 wrote:

I live in S/E MI and we have a lot of Canadian Nurses
that work in our area hospitals.  If they are forced into indentured servitude
in their own country that is really going to cause a major hit on staffing on
this side of the border, should anyone actually show up to work in a
hospital.

Some Canadian nurses might recall at the height of the Sars
epidemic, there was an acute shortage of masks. Some were asked to put
the discarded masks in to a bag so they could be used again, this according
to Barb Wahl the former president of the Ontario Nurses Union.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:28am

Emergency flu plan

MONTE KWINTER - MARCH 21/06

Ontario Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services

Toronto -- Re Stop Chasing A Phantom Flu (March 2): In his article on the seriousness of the spread of H5N1 avian influenza, Richard Schabas states that, under the Ontario government's proposed Bill 56, "physicians will be compelled to provide services or face imprisonment" in the event of a pandemic.

In fact, the proposed legislation would not compel any health-care workers to provide services. Bill 56, if passed, will enable physicians, nurses and other health-care workers to better do their jobs in an emergency. The penalties contained in the bill are primarily to ensure co-operation by the public at large with the efforts undertaken to manage such a situation, including the efforts of health-care workers.

It is our hope that, should an emergency occur, everyone affected will do his or her very best to minimize its impact and to allow the proper authorities to deal with the situation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060321.LETTERS21-7/TPStory/TPComment/

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:35am
Originally posted by gricha56 gricha56 wrote:

How do I describe myself?  Navy Hospital Corpsman.  Retired.  Some experience with Malaria, Yellow Fever, Polio, Rift Valley Fever and many types of sexually transmitted diseases.  More than a little experience with mass casualties.  I wouldn't go anywhere near a hospital at the height of a pandemic.  And neither will sick people.  I have a good idea what this illness does to lung tissue.  Many have mentioned SARS in their posts, and I find that to be very appropriate.  They have much in common. Pathologists describe the injury caused by the pneumonia of this virus as a burn of the lung tissue.  The odds are you will not survive that injury.   If by some miracle you do,  you are not going to enjoy robust health ever again.  They can put me in jail if they want to, but I'm not bringing  the bug home to my babies

Unfortunately, this virus has the ability to rapidly move beyond lung tisues into other major organs. This complicates care and recovery. Virologists noted that H5N1 was the first avian virus that they've seen that causes "hind-leg paralysis" in chickens.

I think the damage to lungs may have as much to do with the body going into overdrive from a Cytokine Storm. If this is the case, then there are strategies that can mitigate this.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:19pm
FASTCARD hit the nail on the head.  It would be one thing if going to work would save lives.  Going to work with no ventilators, no antivirals, no anything that makes a modern hospital will not help anybody.  The hospital is just a warehouse overflowing with sick people.  Holding somebody's hand and saying there there is not something I am going to do.  I am a pharmacist, but have worked in a hospital, and know how screwed up they can be.
grey_whiskers View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey_whiskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:02pm
Just a little bit of humor here.

New Element Discovered!

"The heaviest element known to science was recently discovered by researchers at the University of Fulchester. The element, tentatively named Administratium, has no protons or electrons and thus has an atomic number of 0. However, it does have 1 neutron, 125 assistant neutrons, 75 vice neutrons and 111 assistant vice neutrons. This gives it an atomic mass of 312. These 312 particles are held together by a force that involves the continuous exchange of meson-like particles called morons.

Since it has no electrons, Administratium is inert. However, it can be detected chemically as it impedes every reaction it comes in contact with. According to the discoverers, a minute amount of Administratium caused one reaction to take over four days to complete when it would have normally occurred in less than one second. Administratium has a normal half-life of approximately three years, at which time it does not actually decay but instead undergoes a reorganisation in which assistant neutrons, vice neutrons and assistant vice neutrons exchange places. Some studies have shown that the atomic mass actually increases after each reorganisation.

Research at other laboratories indicates that Administratium occurs naturally in the atmosphere. It tends to concentrate at certain points such as government agencies, large corporations and universities and can usually be found in the newest, best appointed and best maintained buildings.

Scientists point out that Administratium is known to be toxic at any level of concentration and can easily destroy any productive reaction where it is allowed to accumulate. Attempts are being made to determine how Administratium can be controlled to prevent irreversible damage, but results to date are not promising."

Here's a gallows-humor question for all the health care professionals on this thread--if after two weeks of a pandemic, you feel a tickle in your throat (due to lack of protective gear), will you--

a) Double up on Tamiflu and other vaccines Confused
b) Start directing incoming patients to the administrators' offices Angry
c) Immediately drive to the nearest lawyer's office and *cough, cough* Dead

Still prepping.  I'll probably try to ride it out at home--without protective gear myself why should I have to pay to hang around a building full of  strangers?  (...not to mention hospital food.)
The opinions are solely those of the author and are subject to change without notice.
gricha56 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gricha56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:20am
I'm not confident in some of the strategies.  I guess the first would be to treat the virus infection with antivirals.  There are enough reports of the failure of this strategy to give me pause.  I suppose another direction would be to suppress the immune respose.  But i'm not sure that would be more successful.  How much of the damage to alveolar spaces is caused by cytokine response and how much is caused by infection of epithealial cells by virus?   I'm not sure that is known.   I also don't know the rate of secondary infection of people treated with immune supressing medications.  I do know that bacterial infections kill many people diagnosed with influenza weeks after they should have recovered.   Or the success rate of collodial silverSmile.  Have I missed some other possibility for intervention?
Kirby View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 9:48am
 I have 25+ years ER experience and 12 years infection control experience and am the sole IC professional for my facility so guess where I will be??

However; I have a child but he will be farmed out with family and comes with his own preps, PPE and Tamiflu (what a kid!).  They are equally as prepped and most informed on AI and will care for him while I camp at my hospital for the duration I am needed.  UNLESS my child gets SICK and family communicates they need me. Then I will sacrifice whatever I need to in order to care for my child at that point.  As long as he is healthy and properly attended, I will meet my professional obligations and oversee my 200+ employees (ones who show up) for work and protect them to the best of my abilities.  If everyone is sick with the same thing, there will be no need to change PPE every time you go from patient to patient  as long as the PPE is adequate and not contaminated or damaged.  Ideals will have to be modified in times of crisis.

Being proactive (have plan, am educating staff and 90% of employees have already been fit-tested for N95 masks), increased stock of PPE, etc. for my hospital so no one in my rural community can say that we are NOT preparing.  It takes much initiative  and credibility from the facility IC staff along with the respect, trust and buy in of the Admin and Medical Staff to get things done. 

Any hospital or health care facility that is NOT working on pandemic plan is just being plain negligent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic