Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

lobscouse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lobscouse
    Posted: August 30 2006 at 1:41pm
    a long time ago sailor men in a pandemiclike situation (isolation for one year on a worldaround trip) died because of food problems (too less vitamin c etc.). this was the reason for the development of "lobscouse" which covered closely all food needs to survive on a ship sailing a very long time around the world (staying a very long time isolated in a bunker...).

i live in hamburg, germany, and you can buy lobscouse as a delicatesse in cans easily and it can be stored for infinity. it includes everything you need to survive in terms of food.

so my suggestion for preparation: have some cans of lobscouse in store.
It doesnt mean a thing
if it aint got that swing
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 4:25pm
What is in lobscouse?  Do you know if it is imported into the U.S.?   I am curious...:)  Thank you, JD
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 11:53pm
Labskaus (also spelled Lapskaus) is a specialty from the German city of Hamburg. The main ingredients are Corned Beef, potatoes, herring, onion and beetroot.
The meal is traditionally prepared by boiling the beef in some water and then minced with the beetroot, herbs, onions and herring (some recipes use ham). Finally the base is stewed in lard and then finished off in a stock. The final touch is the garnish of mashed potato.
The word "Labskaus" has been around since 1701 and comes from the English lobs-cou(r)se, meaning 'meal for a rough customer'. The dish became a favorite of sailors and seamen during the time of the great ships and is now found in any restaurant on Germany's northern coast.

this was wikipedia. the mix helped the sailor men not to get scurvy.
It doesnt mean a thing
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 6:21pm
  Hi Bloomberg,  I would love to add some Labskaus to my emergency preps.  Do you know of any place that would ship to the U.S.  Any help would be appreciated.  Than ks
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 6:38pm
http://cgi.ebay.de/Deftiger-Labskaus-Dose-ca-800g_W0QQitemZ5675715612QQcategoryZ79617QQcmdZViewItem
It doesnt mean a thing
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 6:46pm
you can make it by yourself;
Fleischgerichte, Innereien
Bremer Labskaus
Für 1 Keine Angabe
750 g gepökeltes Rindfleisch
1 l Wasser
1 Lorbeerblatt
3 Zwiebeln
3 Nelken
10 Pfefferkörner
1 kg Kartoffeln
1/8 l Wasser
1 gross. Gewürzgurke
Salz
Pfeffer
20 g Butterschmalz
4 Eier
4 bis 8 Matjesfilets
Fleisch im Wasser mit Gewürzen ankochen und 90 Minuten fortkochen. Brühe durch ein Sieb geben. Kartoffeln im Wasser ankochen, 20 Minuten fortkochen, anschließend zerstampfen. Fleisch und Zwiebeln durch die grobe Scheibe des Fleischwolfs drehen, mit Kartoffeln mischen und so viel Brühe dazugeben, bis ein Brei entsteht. Gurke in kleine Würfel schneiden und unter das Labskaus rühren. Mit Salz und Pfeffer kräftig abschmecken Butterschmalz erhitzen und Spiegeleier darin braten. Labskaus auf Teller verteilen, auf jede Portion ein Spiegelei setzen und Matjesfilets daneben legen. Beilage: Rote-Bete-Salat, Gewürzgurken.
Stichworte
Bremen, Fleisch, Fleischgerichte, Innereien, P4, Rind
Titel - Rubrik - Stichwortenoch mehr Rezepte auf www.rezepte.li
It doesnt mean a thing
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 6:49pm
sorry that it is in german, but i did not find iti in englih
It doesnt mean a thing
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 12:09pm
If you want to prevent scurvy, ricketts and a lot of other nasty vitamin deficiency diseases, plan on storing items with vitamin C and some multivitamens. I have a load of Tang for that reason alone. Cheaper than importing a dish I'm not sure i'd like or eat if I didn't. JMAO. Jo
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 12:20pm
there is a difference in industrial vitamin tablets/capsules and the "real" vitamins in food. lobscouse has passed the longterm test of yearlong worldaround trips in the 18th and 19th century. this is different from supplements (industry driven and questionable).
of course i would advise everybody to have other food in addition.
my intention was to remind people to this almost forgotten very very effective food.
peace

It doesnt mean a thing
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Bloomberg Bloomberg wrote:

there is a difference in industrial vitamin tablets/capsules and the "real" vitamins in food. lobscouse has passed the longterm test of yearlong worldaround trips in the 18th and 19th century. this is different from supplements (industry driven and questionable).
of course i would advise everybody to have other food in addition.
my intention was to remind people to this almost forgotten very very effective food.
peace

I agree with you that the vitamins in food are better than the manufactured ones because they are natural.
I didn't mean to offend you on the dish of lobscouse, but I looked at the ingredients and they just didn't sound very appitizing.
It would also have to be imported which is kind of expensive, especially if you have never tried it. If you don't like it you will wind up eating it anyway. I want foods I like and have a history with, but I wouldn't discourage anyone who wanted to try it from doing so.
 The basic rule for food prep is to store what you eat and eat what you store. A multivitamin is not my preffered manner to obtain health, but it does help to maintain it, along with decent food. All the best, Jo
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 1:28pm
- i did not feel offended! (it is really strange for me to see that many people in forums get very nasty only because someone was coming straight to the point without being nice... other topic...sorrry)
- i mentioned it because in my interpretation of this forum it is an "international" forum or (to be closer to the point) a "PAN-forum" for a "PAN-demic". so a lot of people in the world will have big problems with a lot of subjects you (usa-person) discuss here. and sometimes there are things like lobscouse where you will have problems with (import). but the knowledge that "lobscouse" exists and is fine for storing/surviving is good to know and an enrichment in a preparation for a pandemic. thats the only reason why i mentioned it. please be not so focussed on your country. the world is bigger. (sorry, sorry, sorry. i do not want to be rude again!)
-you are absoultely right with "looking not very appetizing". in germany a lot of people will tell you that a plate of lobscouse looks like somebody has vomited (and they are right). but this doesn´t change the fact that a) it tastes really good and b) it is very very healthy (omega-3, vitamin c and all the rest !)
It doesnt mean a thing
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 1:32pm
    p.s.: the reason why it is looking like vomited is that it was stored on the ships in barrels/casks. so it had to be a mash which includes everything. a ship was not a 3-star michelin restaurant.
It doesnt mean a thing
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 1:35pm
p.p.s.: i believe strongly that minimum one patriotic north german ("fish head") who went to the states has made a business in offering lobscouse in your country. if not: here is a new business idea !
It doesnt mean a thing
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 3:46pm
  Thanks you very much Bloomberg.
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 6:11pm
    you are very wellcome mississipmama
It doesnt mean a thing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic