Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Nearly 1 million Pigs May Have Died China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nearly 1 million Pigs May Have Died China
    Posted: October 04 2006 at 11:53am
EXCERPT-     http://www.whale.to/vaccines/swine.html

WALLACE: Mary, did you take a swine flu shot?

MARY TYLER MOORE: No, I did not.

WALLACE: Did you give them permission to use your name saying that you had or were going to?

MOORE: Absolutely not. Never did.

WALLACE: Did you ask your own doctor about taking the swine flu shot?

MOORE: Yes, and at the time he thought it might be a good idea. But I resisted it, because I was leery of having the symptoms that sometimes go with that kind of inoculation.

WALLACE: So you didn't?

MOORE: No, I didn't.

WALLACE: Have you spoken to your doctor since?

MOORE: Yes.

WALLACE: And?

MOORE: He's delighted that I didn't take that shot.

WALLACE: You're in charge. Somebody's in charge.

DR SENCER: There are -

WALLACE: This is your advertising strategy that I have a copy of here.

DR SENCER: Who's it signed by?

WALLACE: This one is unsigned. But you--you'll acknowledge that it was your baby so to speak?

DR SENCER: It could have been from the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. It could be from CDC. I don't know. I'll be happy to take responsibility for it.

WALLACE: It's been three years now since you fell ill by GBS right?

ROBERTS: Right.

WALLACE: Has the federal government, in your estimation, played fair with you about your claim?

ROBERTS: No, I don't think so. It seems to be dragging on and on and on, and really no end in sight that I can see at this point.

JOSEPH CALIFANO: With respect to the cases of Guillain Barre...

WALLACE: Former Secretary of HEW Joseph Caifano, too was disturbed that there was no end in sight. So a year and a half ago, he proposed that Uncle Sam would cut the bureaucratic red tape for victims suffering from GBS and would pay up quickly.

CALIFANO: We shouldn't hold them to an impossible or too difficult standard of proving that they were hurt. Even if we pay a few people a few thousand dollars that might not have deserved it, I think justice requires that we promptly pay those people who do deserve it.

WALLACE: Who's making the decision to be so hard-nosed about settling?

CALIFANO: Well, I assume the Justice Department is.

WALLACE: Griffin Bell, before he left?

CALIFANO: Well, the Justice Department agreed to the statement I made. It was cleared word for word with the lawyers in the Justice Department by my HEW lawyers.

CALIFANO: That-that statement said that we should pay Guillain Barre claims without regard to whether the federal government was negligent, if they - if they resulted from the swine flu shot.

GENE ROBERTS: I think the government knows its wrong.

JUDY ROBERTS: If it drags out long enough, that people will just give up, let it go.

GENE ROBERTS: I—I am a little more adament in my thoughts than my wife is, because I asked - told Judy to take the shot. She wasn't going to take it, and she never had had shots. And I'm mad with my government because they knew the fact, but they didn't realise those facts because they - if they had released them, the people wouldn't have taken it. And they can come out tomorrow and tell me there's going to be an epidemic, and they can drop off like flies to - next to me, I will not take another shot that my government tells me to take.

WALLACE: Meantime, Judy Roberts and some 4,000 others like her are still waiting for their day in court.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 11:46am
Family: Orthomyxoviridae
Genera

Influenzavirus A
Influenzavirus B
Influenzavirus C
Isavirus
Thogotovirus

From Wikipedia...

Variants of this species are sometimes named according to the species the strain is endemic in or adapted to. The main variants named using this convention are:

Avian variants have also sometimes been named according to their deadliness in poultry, especially chickens:

• Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza (LPAI)
  • Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI), also called: deadly flu or death flu

The Influenza A virus subtypes are labeled according to an H number (for hemagglutinin) and an N number (for neuraminidase). Each subtype virus has mutated into a variety of strains with differing pathogenic profiles; some pathogenic to one species but not others, some pathogenic to multiple species. Most known strains are extinct strains. For example, the annual flu subtype H3N2 no longer contains the strain that caused the Hong Kong Flu.

Influenza A viruses are negative sense, single-stranded, segmented RNA viruses. "There are 16 different HA antigens (H1 to H16) and nine different NA antigens (N1 to N9) for influenza A. Until recently, 15 HA types had been recognized, but a new type (H16) was isolated from black-headed gulls caught in Sweden and the Netherlands in 1999 and reported in the literature in 2005." [2]

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 4:39am
India again Ouch swine fever spreads thru the air , food , or touch .

Kerala - Thrissur    

Pigs' death: swine fever confirmed
Staff Reporter

THRISSUR: Tests conducted at the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Bareli, Uttar Pradesh, have confirmed that swine fever was the cause of the large-scale death of pigs at the farm of the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (CoVAS), Mannuthy, near here, in recent weeks.
  • College Dean E Nanu told The Hindu here that the test results were received from the IVRI authorities by fax on Tuesday afternoon. The samples collected from the dead pigs were taken to the IVRI by an expert veterinarian from the CoVAS last week by air.

Tests conducted at the CoVAS and at Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University earlier also indicated that `swine fever' caused the death of the pigs at the CoVAS farm.

Now, with the arrival of the test results from the IVRI, which has advanced test facilities, the college authorities have formed a conclusive diagnosis that swine fever led to death of the pigs, Dr. Nanu said.

With this, the fear that the administration of the vaccine against foot-and-mouth disease caused the death of the pigs has been proved unfounded.

Dr. Nanu said the CoVAS farm had about 1,115 pigs. Of them, around 135 had died in the recent weeks, while another 25 were in a critical condition.

About the measures to be adopted in view of the latest findings, Dr. Nanu said the normal practice would be to cull the pigs affected by swine fever. But this could be done only after getting the consent of the authorities concerned.

He said he had convened a meeting of the heads of the departments at CoVAS on Wednesday to chalk out follow-up action.

He said swine fever could spread through air, food or physical contact.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/10/04/stories/2006100412890300.htm

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 4:17am
    'Pig fever' detectedAdd to Clippings
    [ 5 Jul, 2006 1836hrs ISTIANS ]

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Kerala's Animal Husbandry Minister C. Divakaran on Wednesday confirmed that pig fever had been diagnosed and was the cause of death of pigs at a private farm in Wayanad.

This is believed to be the first reported case of the disease in the country.

"Pig fever was ascribed to the death of pigs by the Indian Veterinary Research Institute in Uttar Pradesh after samples were sent to them," said Divakaran.

Reports indicate that initially the owner of the pig farm in Wayanad, about 600 km from here, kept silent about the sudden death of pigs at his farm.

Later, after media reported on the possibility of the disease, samples were taken from the farm and sent to Bangalore followed by Uttar Pradesh.

"We have taken elaborate steps to see that vaccines are distributed to other pig farms in the state," said Divakara.

Speaking to the reporters, Kurian Thomas, who was instrumental in setting up the pig farm at the Mannuthy Veterinary College in Trissur, said there was no need for any panic.

"It would be foolish to start killing pigs on this count. There are vaccines that can contain the spread of the disease," he said.

According to reports, there are around 150 pig farms in Kerala with a total population of around 70,000 pigs. This is July 2006 ,
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=pig+deaths+oct+2006&btnG=Google+Search&meta=  India 
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2006 at 7:03pm
    This is an interesting site...very understandable if you really want to get a handle on H5N1.

DEC 2005

Excerpt- 

H5N1 has high affinity for
    a specific amino acid linkage on avian
    RNA but does not readily establish
    this same linkage on human RNA,
    thus, it is very difficult for humans to
    become infected. (was?)

The possibility of a
    new H5N1 subtype that can lead to
    highly efficient human-to-human
    transmission is very real.10

There are a few ways a new human subtype can
    evolve:

1) the virus can infect humans
    and undergo adaptive mutations that
    allow it to recognize the linkage on
    human RNA, or it could obtain genes
    from a human influenza virus that
    would allow it to replicate effectively
    in humans, or

2) both an avian flu
    virus and human virus are present in a
    third host and then “mix” together. Ito
    and coworkers11 suggest that pigs
    have both linkages, so they can be
    infected by both avian and human
    influenza A virus at the same time.

It is
    theoretically possible for the avian flu
    virus to adapt the human linkage or
    acquire genes from the human virus
    while residing in the pig.12 This
    mutation could result in a new virus
    subtype that would be able to have
    efficient human-to-human
    transmission while retaining the
    virulence of the avian influenza.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2006 at 6:15pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/06/health/main598472.shtml

Pigs Test Positive For Bird Flu

Scientists Concerned, As Pigs Have Genetic Similarities To Humans

WASHINGTON, Feb. 6, 2004

Excerpt-

(CBS/AP) Pigs in Vietnam have tested positive for the bird flu virus that has infected millions of poultry across Asia and killed 18 people, the U.N. Food and Agricultural Organization said Friday.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2006 at 6:08pm
    This was back in 2004.....

August 23, 2004

Pigs test positive for bird flu

Unconfirmed report suggests fatal strain of virus has managed to infect swine.

by Helen Pilcher
    news@nature.com

Excerpt-

Chinese scientists say they have discovered a lethal form of avian influenza in pigs. If the findings are verified, a human pandemic may be closer than was previously thought

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 8:41am

From what I understand of the government's plan, a complete border closing would be impossible and cause severe econmic consequences.  And you're right that it would get here eventually anyway.  But the plan does include travel restrictions (see below).  If they identify where the outbreak is coming from, they'll make every effort to keep it from coming here, even if it means only delaying the inevitable.  Postponing it for a few weeks could make a big difference in vaccine production.

From the government's plan:

Well-coordinated international implementation of entry and exit restrictions is an important component of an effective global response to contain cases and prevent a pandemic. All countries should prepare to implement steps to limit spread, including local, regional, and national entry and exit restrictions based on veterinary and health monitoring, screening and surveillance for humans, animals, and animal products,
    and information sharing and cooperation to manage borders.
    The WHO leadership coordinates the international response to an outbreak of pandemic influenza, including through its Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN), consistent with the revised International Health Regulations (IHRs) as adopted by the World Health Assembly in May 2005 for entry into force in June 2007, which will govern the obligations of WHO member states to report public health emergencies of international concern to the WHO Secretariat and describe steps countries may take to limit international movement of travelers, conveyances, or cargo to prevent the spread of disease.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 6:42am
    I agree with GulfCoastMama, that there is no plan to shut down air travel. They have said over and over it would only delay a pandemic by about three weeks. Then we are on our on.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 5:51am
    Getting ready, I hate to contradict you, but I am almost positive I read that the federal plan for dealing with an outbreak DOES NOT include restricting air travel in any way.  The powers that be felt it is important to keep the world economies afloat during that time, and that preventing air travel would cause severe disruption to trade.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 8:14pm
    This is from Manilia not China .
    Caloocan steps up campaign on ‘double dead’ meat

By WILLIE L. CATAPAT
    The Caloocan City government intensified yesterday its drive against the so-called "double-dead" meat which might find their way in the public markets.

Mayor Enrico Echiverri ordered an intensified documentation and inspection of hogs in the city’s slaughterhouse to prevent the possible selling of such meat which could pose hazards to the health of the people.

He added that the City Veterinary Office (CVO) is monitoring the operation of the slaughterhouse to ensure the quality of meat being sold in public markets. From September 18 to 24 alone, the CVO inspected 3,121 hogs in the slaughterhouse.

Echiverri said representatives from the veterinary office also conducted an inspection of chicken and poultry products being sold in the markets in Caloocan. The veterinary office has also been conducting free consultations for animals of "walk-in" pet owners in Caloocan.

He explained that pet owners should be aware of the proper methods on how to take good care of their animals. Meanwhile, Echiverri said the city government, through the CVO, has also been conducting an orientation campaign on the Avian Influenza Protection Program for the barangay officials for their subsequent dissemination to their constituents. The program includes the distribution of flyers, posters and other information materials on proper measures to avoid the spread of bird flu. http://www.mb.com.ph/archive_pages.php?url=http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2006/09/28/MTNN2006092875739.html

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 10:25pm
    I feel we need to demand answers from our government right NOW as to what they intend to do, if this virus becomes easily spread to humans. We can not afford to wait, until it does. It is only fair to the American people and their families who live there for business purposes, for the population in general to know what the risks are and what the government intends to do. It could be YOUR neighbor, the guy or gal you sit NEXT to in church, or the PTA, or the one coughing in the grocery store, who travels once a month to the affected countries. If the American public had any idea how much travel to and from these infected countries occured everyday, they would freak out. I personally believe that is part of the reason why the should we shut down travel or quarentine is at question at all, not because they dont know if it would stop the spread, they know darn well it would stop it, or slow it down.  (from vstr)
    ................................................................................................................

The pigs dying in China is very bad...

I totally agree ...  the US Gov. needs to be upfront.  WHO is most likely leaving it up to individual nations to decide when to tell their people.

Now is a good time to raise the level to 4.  There must be ...some....time to prepare. 

......................................................................................

Since the middle of July 2006, an unknown pig disease has occurred in
    the neighboring provinces of Anhui, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Hunan and
    Henan, and other areas. Already 40 percent of pigs have died from
    infection.
    As of mid-August this disease had already spread to parts
    of Hubei.

Conditions are relatively serious. According to reports,
    the pig disease is characterized by high fever, sudden onset, rapid
    transmission, and high mortality rate.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 9:54pm
    vstr - great post.  I have no doubt they'll shut down travel from any country with efficient H2H (remember Toronto), but the question is: will it be in time?  China's timeliness in reporting in a big problem. 
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 9:00pm

The natural reservoir of SARS-CoV has not been identified but a number of wildlife species –
    the Himalayan masked palm civet (Paguma larvata), the Chinese ferret badger (Melogale
    moschata), and the raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides) – consumed as delicacies in
    southern China have shown laboratory evidence of infectionn with a related coronavirus (2,8).

Domestic cats living in the Amoy Gardens apartment block in Hong Kong were also found to
    be infected with SARS-CoV
    (9). More recently, ferrets (Mustela furo) and domestic cats (Felis
    domesticus) were infected with SARS-CoV experimentally and found to efficiently transmit the
    virus to previously uninfected animals housed with them (10).

These findings indicate that the
    reservoir for this pathogen may involve a range of animal species.

LIKE PIGS?
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 8:04pm
    China is getting more and more wealthy. The reason being, we have out sourced so much work there. There are some industries where the manufacturing is almost exclusively done in the Orient, namely China. The headquarters are located in the USA. Therefore, there is a great amount of travel to and from the HQ in the USA to China, Vietnam and Thialand. If they admit that there is a health threat there, people stop traveling, stop putting orders in. We may even stop shipments of goods coming into the country. What does that do to them financially? If they lied before about illness, they have a whole lot more incentive to do so now, it is a matter of survival for them. Yes, in addition to that, they have to be free to travel freely from there to here, so to speak. This is what bothers me most of all. China and Vietnam, might as well be the 51st and 52nd states of the USA when it comes to manufacturing. I feel we need to demand answers from our government right NOW as to what they intend to do, if this virus becomes easily spread to humans. We can not afford to wait, until it does. It is only fair to the American people and their families who live there for business purposes, for the population in general to know what the risks are and what the government intends to do. It could be YOUR neighbor, the guy or gal you sit NEXT to in church, or the PTA, or the one coughing in the grocery store, who travels once a month to the affected countries. If the American public had any idea how much travel to and from these infected countries occured everyday, they would freak out. I personally believe that is part of the reason why the should we shut down travel or quarentine is at question at all, not because they dont know if it would stop the spread, they know darn well it would stop it, or slow it down. Thats a no brainer, akin to saying, if I go into my neighbors house where they all have stomach flu and allow them to enter my house am I more likely to get sick then if I stay out of their house and keep them out of mine. It is stupid to even question that. However, if a LOT of companies stand to go belly up because, their imports are shut down, wow that effects cash flow in our country big time. Companies close, people out of work, companies even fold. Think about it. WE NEED to know, what the plan is. The government is behaving as if it can do nothing in the event of a outbreak of this dreaded disease and that is NOT true. They may not be able to stop it, but we all know that even postponing it hitting our shores for a few weeks, could make a huge difference in how well people are prepped, and raises the survival rate. Osterholm represents the government, he has made it perfectly clear that it is not if but when, therefore, they should be able to tell us, what they CAN do when it happens. One thing they CAN do is stop all foriegn travel. They shut down all air travel on 9/11 in a few hours. Maybe this is the plan, then it is only fair that those going abroad do so knowing they may never return if the circumstances were right.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 6:26pm
    Pigs sure do have a lot of stuff going on.

I don't believe what I'm finding.....

Nidovirus Pandemics/ Emerging Pathogens

•  1987-90: Porcine Respiratory and

Porcine Respiratory and Respiratory Disease Syndrome (PRRSV) emerged simultaneously in the US and Europe (Origin is unknown)

– Germany 1990-All of Europe by 1991

– Most important swine pathogen (pneumonia and fetal loss)

Mahshadin View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 3:57pm

Swine

Sichuan Sheet
    The underground story of bird flu  

Or more importantly the ability of this virus to infect many mamals which extends its ability to explode acrosss the globe.

What happened to Joe anyway?
    And the Thread he had (Speculation)?
    Great Posts

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 2:50am
    people in china are dieing of a pig desease.

China checks two 'pig germ deaths'

CHINA - Authorities in east China's Jiangsu province say they are investigating the deaths of two people who reportedly are suspected of having been infected with a swine-borne disease that has killed 39 people.

The men, one of them said to be a butcher and the other a meat seller, died earlier this month at hospitals in Suzhou, the provincial capital, reports in the Hong Kong and mainland media said.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 2:46am
    talk about ABBF. Did they leave any desease out except BF?

Miscellaneous: "Swine High Fever Disease" in pigs in China
    EU - Report by OIE on the swine disease in China.

See also: 3 August 2006, 29 June 2006, 15 June 2006, 8 June 2006, 1 June 2006, 27 April 2006, 2 February 2006
    Information received on 14 September 2006 from Mr Jia Youling, Director General, Veterinary Bureau, Ministry of Agriculture, Beijing:
    Report date: 12 September 2006.
    Since the end of June, pigs have died of a disease characterised by rising body temperature, redness of the skin and rapid breathing in some parts of 6 provinces of China, namely Hunan, Jiangxi, Anhui, Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Hubei. Immediately after the occurrence of the disease, the Ministry of Agriculture took appropriate prevention and control measures and the unnatural deaths of pigs have come to a stop. By epidemiological investigation and laboratory testing of 582 samples of pathogenic material, we have discovered that this disease is closely related to the mixed infection of classical swine fever, porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome and porcine circovirus. Of all the pathogenic samples, 263 samples (i.e. 45%) were positive for porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS); 167 samples (i.e. 29.2%) were positive for classical swine fever (CSF); 130 samples (i.e. 22.3%) were positive for porcine circovirus (PCV-2); 17 samples were positive for Aujeszky's disease; 6 samples were positive for Streptococcus suis; one sample was positive for pasteurellosis infection, and 47 samples were positive for porcine contagious pleuropneumonia infection. Samples that tested positive for PRRS, CFS, or PCV-2 account for 96.5% of the total of the samples tested. We also tested 80 samples from sick pigs for African swine fever with polymerase chain reaction as recommended by the Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals. All of the results were negative and the possibility of African swine fever can therefore be ruled out.
    A similar swine disease was also found in some southern provinces of China in hot summers during the last few years. It was also called “swine high fever disease” in some places. Several features concerning the occurrence of the disease have been identified. Firstly, it is very seasonal. It is found mainly from June to September. Secondly, it only affects certain areas along the Yangtze River, mainly in the provinces of Hunan, Hubei, Jangxi, Anhui and Jiagsu. The morbidity and mortality rate of the disease have not shown a sudden or unexpected increase so far. We are currently arranging for a microbiologist to conduct further research. If there is any new detection of the disease, it will be notified to the OIE immediately. The status of classical swine fever and other animal diseases will continue to be notified to the OIE.
    Note by the OIE Animal Health Information Department: this is the reply received from the Chinese veterinary authorities in response to a request based on information that has been circulating regarding high mortality observed in pigs in some parts of the People's Republic of China.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 2:42am
    A bunch of pigs died of mystery illness in Nepal in Mar 06

Pigs die of mysterious disease in eastern Nepal

NEPAL - Over 2,000 pigs have died of an unidentified disease in some villages of Morang district in eastern Nepal in the past two months, an official said Sunday.

The disease, first seen in Dangihat and Karanari village of Morang district, some 300 km east of Kathmandu, claimed the lives of over 1,000 pigs in Letang village alone, Shambhu Yadav, an official of the District Livestock Services Office (DLSO), said, adding that eight boars and four buffaloes also died of the disease.

"The disease is believed to be air borne but we have not launched any investigation into it," Yadav noted. Earlier, it was suspected that swine fever was the cause of the deaths but outbreak of avian flu in India has terrified the farmers of Morang district located close to India.

Farmers have been disposing the carcass of diseased animals in the nearby forest and the environment has been polluted there, according to Yadav.

Fever, dysentery, yawning and lack of appetite are the symptoms of the disease, Yadav added.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 2:39am
    Heres another.

Quebec's pork producers are asking for help after a disease killed more than 200,000 pigs in the province last year.
    Pork farmer Lyse Grenier says post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome started hitting Quebec farms a year ago. It is already affecting half of them.

"The first day it's not too serious. But after a week, you begin to remove dead animals," Grenier says. "It gets pretty depressing."
    The syndrom is also hurting bottom lines. Every dead pig costs producers hundreds of dollars in feed and maintenance, disposal of the carcass and in lost revenue.
    The Quebec Federation of Porc producers has just asked the federal government to help those who have been affected.
    "The syndrome does not have an impact on consumer products," says Claude Corbeil, the Federation's president. "It began in Europe, and Quebec producers are learning from that experience."
    There is currently no cure for the syndrome on the market.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 2:34am
    Pigs died in Canada from an unussual desease in Mar 06

Virulent pig bug slashing hog herds

ONTARIO - A virulent new strain of a common pig virus is wreaking havoc on Ontario hog herds.

Tens of thousands of hogs have been removed from farms by deadstock companies this winter and last year. They are victims of a new strain of porcine circovirus or other illnesses that the autoimmune disease brings on or makes worse.

"It's just terrible the number of animals that are dying from disease this year," said Winnie Linton, who has lost about half of the 2,000 hogs on the farm she and husband Dave run near Mitchell.

"We see the light at the end of the tunnel because our barn is almost empty," she added, managing a weak laugh.

Larry Skinner, chair of Ontario Pork's board, said provincewide mortality rates are running at 10 to 12 per cent — five to six times above the norm on affected farms. On the hardest-hit farms, the figure is 40 to 50 per cent or more and he sympathized with those struggling farmers.

Meat packers are also starting to worry about a pork shortage, he said. But for hog farmers, it's a double, or even triple, whammy. They're running up costs trying to treat the sick animals, losing revenue when the hogs die and don't make it to market, and feeling the emotional stress of seeing their animals suffer. At the same time, they face market prices of 20 to 30 cents below the break-even mark of roughly $1.50 per kilogram.

Porcine circovirus, or PCVII, is not new; in fact, it's a common bug found in pigs. But something happened to it 18 months ago: PCVII had previously been confined to hogs aged six to 10 weeks, but it began showing up in hogs aged 10 to 15 weeks and was resistant to traditional vaccines.

The circovirus epidemic was one of three major health problems to hit Ontario hog farms in the past year and a half.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2006 at 1:40am
    UNDIAGNOSED DISEASE, PORCINE - CHINA (03): OIE
    A ProMED-mail post
    <http://www.promedmail.org>
    ProMED-mail is a program of the
    International Society for Infectious Diseases
    <http://www.isid.org>

Date: 21 Sep 2006
    Source: OIE Disease Information Vol 19 - No.38 [edited]
    <http://www.oie.int/eng/info/hebdo/AIS_78.HTM#Sec15>

Miscellaneous: "Swine High Fever Disease" In Pigs In China
    -----------------------------------------------
    Information received on 14 Sep 2006 from Mr Jia Youling, Director
    General, Veterinary Bureau, Ministry of Agriculture, Beijing:

Report date: 12 Sep 2006.

Since the end of June 2006, pigs have died of a disease characterized
    by rising body temperature, redness of the skin and rapid breathing
    in some parts of 6 provinces of China, namely Hunan, Jiangxi, Anhui,
    Jiangsu, Zhejiang and Hubei. Immediately after the occurrence of the
    disease, the Ministry of Agriculture took appropriate prevention and
    control measures, and the unnatural deaths of pigs have come to a
    stop. By epidemiological investigation and laboratory testing of 582
    samples of pathogenic material, we have discovered that this disease
    is closely related to the mixed infection of classical swine fever,
    porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome and porcine circovirus.

Of all the pathogenic samples, 263 samples (i.e. 45 percent) were
    positive for porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS);
    167 samples (i.e. 29.2 percent) were positive for classical swine
    fever (CSF); 130 samples (i.e. 22.3 percent) were positive for
    porcine circovirus (PCV-2); 17 samples were positive for Aujeszky's
    disease; 6 samples were positive for _Streptococcus suis_; one sample
    was positive for pasteurellosis infection, and 47 samples were
    positive for porcine contagious pleuropneumonia infection. Samples
    that tested positive for PRRS, CFS, or PCV-2 account for 96.5 percent
    of the total of the samples tested. We also tested 80 samples from
    sick pigs for African swine fever with polymerase chain reaction as
    recommended by the Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for
    Terrestrial Animals. All of the results were negative, and the
    possibility of African swine fever can therefore be ruled out.

A similar swine disease was also found in some southern provinces of
    China in hot summers during the last few years. It was also called
    swine high fever disease in some places. Several features concerning
    the occurrence of the disease have been identified. Firstly, it is
    very seasonal. It is found mainly from June to September. Secondly,
    it only affects certain areas along the Yangtze River, mainly in the
    provinces of Hunan, Hubei, Jangxi, Anhui and Jiagsu. The morbidity
    and mortality rate of the disease have not shown a sudden or
    unexpected increase so far. We are currently arranging for a
    microbiologist to conduct further research. If there is any new
    detection of the disease, it will be notified to the OIE immediately.
    The status of classical swine fever and other animal diseases will
    continue to be notified to the OIE.

Note by the OIE Animal Health Information Department: this is the
    reply received from the Chinese veterinary authorities in response to
    a request based on information that has been circulating regarding
    high mortality observed in pigs in some parts of the People's
    Republic of China.

--
    ProMED-mail
    <promed@promedmail.org>

[We will continue to refer to this disease as "undiagnosed" rather
    than "high fever" disease until a more definitive diagnosis is
    established, either as a syndrome resulting from mixed infections
    with particular agents or when a definite single agent is identified.
    Such questions of causality are not uncommon when a new disease
    occurs; PRRS was originally referred to as "mystery disease." There
    are many instances in the annals of infectious disease when a new
    disease gets tagged with a temporary name until the cause is more
    definitively ascertained.

A couple of questions, at least, remain. First, it would be
    interesting to find out whether sick swine were tested for influenza,
    H1N1, H1N2, or H3N2, which circulate in Asia, and also for H5N1 to
    increase active surveillance for influenza. Secondly, none of the 3
    agents, PRRS, CSF or PCV2, are known for having marked seasonal
    distributions, yet a summer distribution seems to be one of the most
    prominent features of the outbreaks described by this report. As
    always, there are more questions than answers when something new
    comes along.

It is very helpful to have official word of this from the Chinese
    animal health authorities, and OIE again proves itself to be an
    invaluable source of definitive animal health information. - Mod.PC]

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 5:21am
    Joe knew about the strep suis, but he thought it was a cover disease for H5N1. There were reports coming out of China via Boxun news that the government was culling all the animals, not just pigs and also people. Yes the reports said they were killing people too, or at least that was the indication. I'm not sure if I believe it or not and it's is probably impossible to ever know the truth. I think the supposed number was 800 human deaths, but I'm not sure. Joe thought it was the Qinghai strain.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 8:45pm
    More stuff on pigs:  (when I think of Streptoccocal Suis, I think of Joe N. who felt that the outbreak in China was really H5N1.  Even though this article isn't new,  I'm posting it because it was interesting to me that they claim it has mutated into a more deadly form.  Maybe this is the explanation Joe was looking for?.....)

Apr 2006: New Pig-People Disease
    SciDev recently reported on the emergence of a new pig disease that can infect and kill people. According to new research published in PLoS Medicine on 11 April, a bacterium that rarely infected people is now likely to have mutated into a more deadly form. Last year it was responsible for killing 38 people in China. According to the article, the microbe Streptococcus suis is found in pigs worldwide, and usually only causes disease in piglets. Occasionally it infects farm workers who come into close contact. However, last year, more than 200 people were infected in a major outbreak in Sichuan province, and nearly one in five of them died.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 8:34pm
    Judy - PED is not transmissible from pigs to humans, but there are diseases that are (such as the influenza A virus).

This coronaviral diarrhea (not yet recognized in the western hemisphere) affects pigs of all ages and clinically resembles transmissible gastroenteritis (TGE, Transmissible Gastroenteritis) in several respects.
    Etiology and Epidemiology:
    The porcine epidemic diarrhea (PED) virus is not related to any other member of the Coronaviridae. Pigs are the only known host. Antibodies to the virus have not been found in wild pigs or in other animal species. Infections have been seen in most European countries and in China. Large epidemics occurred in Europe in 1969; no antibodies have been found in sera collected before 1969. Since then, the virus has become widespread and endemic in several European countries, and acute outbreaks have become rare. On large breeding farms, the virus persists in consecutive litters of pigs after weaning and after they lose their immunity from antibody in the milk. On these farms, the virus may be associated with weaning diarrhea. In Belgium, the virus is most frequently associated with diarrhea in feeder pigs, which develops shortly after they are gathered from different breeding farms and assembled in large fattening units. The virus was demonstrated in fecal material in 80% of these groups. Epidemiologic data from other countries are scarce. Spread of the virus mainly occurs directly through infected pigs and indirectly through virus-contaminated fomites and via transport trucks.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/22310.htm
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2006 at 2:28am
    COA calls for nets to prevent outbreaks of bird flu virus

2006/9/11
    TAIPEI, CNA

The Council of Agriculture (COA) called yesterday for chicken and pig farms to set up bird-proofing nets as soon as possible in an attempt to keep wild birds separated from poultry and pigs and prevent outbreaks of avian flu.

COA officials said the nets should be set up by the end of this year and warned that farmers who fail to comply will face fines of NT$10,000-NT$50,000.

Migratory birds are considered an avian flu virus-carrying media and Taiwan is a stopover site for various species of migratory birds.

The officials said the government will offer subsidies for poultry and pig farmers who set up nets before the end of this year.

Judy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 7:40pm

gettingready: can humans catch this?

If ignorance is bliss, what is chocolate?

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 5:22pm
    There are a number of diseases in pigs - alot of them have the same or similar symptoms.  The question is:  are they (China in this case) investigating to determine the cause?  It's worrisome when you hear of extreme numbers of "mysterious" deaths in animals and no further report or follow-up.  It begs the question:  is this a fairly recent phenomena due to more concentrated human/animal populations, and what will/can happen if this trend continues?

Muriel - A little info on PED (it appears that piglets do have a high mortality rate from this, so the article you posted seems consistent with that):

Porcine Epidemic Diarrhoea (PED)
    Porcine epidemic diarrhoea is caused by a coronavirus somewhat similar to that which causes TGE. This virus is widespread in Europe.

Acute outbreaks of diarrhoea occur when the virus is first introduced into a susceptible population. In such cases up to 100% of sows may be affected, showing a mild to very watery diarrhoea. Two clinical pictures are recognised: PED Type I only affects growing pigs whereas PED Type II affects all ages including sucking pigs and mature sows. The incubation period is approximately 2 days and diarrhoea lasts for 7 to 14 days. In sucking pigs the disease can be mild or severe with mortalities up to 40%.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 4:05pm
    Batangas City is in the Phillipines, on the same island and 60 miles south of Manila.  I don't know if there is any connection between this story and the pigs in China, but I don't believe in coincidences.  Hopefully some of you with more expertise than I can either see a connection here, or rule it out.

Vets say disease had killed 60,000 piglets in Batangas
    Inquirer
    Last updated 11:49pm (Mla time) 08/24/2006

BATANGAS CITY -- The so-called porcine epidemic diarrhea syndrome (PEDS) has already killed 60,000 piglets in Batangas province since it struck hog farms last June, provincial veterinarian Dr. Rodrigo Bautista said.

The affected areas in Batangas include hog farms of Rosario, Ibaan, Padre Garcia, San Jose and Taysan Need to finish draftns and Lipa City, characterized as the province’s agro-industrial areas.

PEDS is an acute diarrheal disease caused by corona virus, affecting pigs of different age groups.

It was discovered in Europe in 1969 and is now widespread in China and European countries.

Adult pigs experience anorexia, lethargy and diarrhea while sucklings exhibit vomiting and watery diarrhea.

Mortality rate is high for sucklings at 100 percent and piglets at 50 percent or greater.

The syndrome earlier struck piglets in Bulacan province last year before the Bureau of Animal Industry positively identified the disease when it reached Batangas in June.

At least 1,008 piglets and head of pigs have already died in Lipa since June.

Bautista disclosed that the disease spread quickly from one Need to finish draftn to another.

San Jose and Rosario farms, he said, are no longer contaminated with PEDS, which is now starting to infect Taysan hog farms this month.

Bautista said the airborne infectious disease could have been carried by winds or contaminated objects from affected farms.

According to him, hog raisers were now preventing the spread of the disease.

Piglets were also given electrolyte replacements as their protection for diarrhea and secondary bacterial infection.

Biosecurity measures, which include the quarantine of hog farm personnel, are also considered to prevent the spread of the disease in unaffected farms.

Bautista explained that August is the usual breeding period for pigs, which would be sold in the market by January.

Owners would lose at least 1,000 pesos to 1,500 pesos per head, amounting to at least 100,000 pesos for 500 pigs sold due to the disease, he said. Marlon Alexander Luistro, Inquirer Southern Luzon

(1 dollar = 51.60 pesos)

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 3:08pm

5 face jail for slaughtering sick swine

2006/9/9
    The China Post staff

The Tainan District Prosecutor's Office yesterday indicted five private pig slaughters and dealers on charges of their alleged illegal sales of finished and semi-finished pork products processed with sick and dead pigs.

Prosecutors made the indictment following a year of investigations into a scam in which Wang Chia-yu, Lin Shih-ping and Chen Hua allegedly purchased sick pigs or dead pigs with diseases from pig farmers in southern Taiwan, illegally slaughtered the pigs and then sold the porks to two downstream processors Tang Fen-nan and Cheng Chin-long.

Tang and Cheng processed the pork products into sausages for sales to consumers, with a monthly sales volume of 1,000 kilograms.

Prosecutors recommended a jail term of seven years against both Lin Shih-ping and Tang Fen-nan, plus a fine of NT%8 million each; a jail term of six years against Wang Chia-yu, plus a fine of NT$5 million; five years in prison and a fine of NT$7 million for Cheng Chin-long and three years in ail for Chen Hua, wife of Lin Shih-ping.

Prosecutors said in the indictment that the five were typical "black-hearted" businessmen, trying hard to make money regardless of other people's "life or death."

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/detail.asp?ID=89977&GRP=B

Linda-ann View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 9:16pm
    I a remember reading that when they culled the birds they  also removed all domestic animals that were around the area at the time.  These comments were like footnotes.   But I always l felt that was much more significant than anyone was saying,  Plus there was imformation about the farmers being told they is could not mix farm in China.  this was a year and a half ago.  Now it appears to me we get less details from China.  .  

This was a early reporting from cnn on the bird flu.on CNN old reports.
    Judy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 4:49pm
    steve101: sorry about above linK. this is better one, same article:

Judy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 4:29pm
    steve101http://www.birdflubreakingnews.com/templates/birdflu/window.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asiamedia.ucla.edu%2Farticle-eastasia.asp%3Fparentid%3D48088

just reread your post about pig industry being phased out in China and I remembered this article from April 11, 2006.  The next to last sentence in this article affirms what you said. This article also has a link to an article about  pig illness and deaths of humans also;  that also has a link to another article about pig illness.

Surely they have come up with a better diagnosis by now than "high fever pig illness"?  Anyone?

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 3:49pm
    UPDATED PROMED REPORTS ON UNKNOWN PIG DISEASE IN CHINA

Date: 5 Sep 2006
    Source: Suizhou Daily News [translated by sender, edited]
    <http://61.184.255.22/news/2006/200609035.htm>

Yesterday, the provincial government held an urgent, province-wide
    videoteleconference [the province in question is Hubei; see URL for
    map below] on prevention and control of serious animal diseases,
    demanding fast action from all parts of the province, paying special
    attention to prevention and control work against the unknown pig high
    fever illness, to ensure increased agricultural efficacy and
    increased farmer receipts.

Since the middle of July 2006, an unknown pig disease has occurred in
    the neighboring provinces of Anhui, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Hunan and
    Henan, and other areas. Already 40 percent of pigs have died from
    infection.  As of mid-August this disease had already spread to parts
    of Hubei.  Conditions are relatively serious.  According to reports,
    the pig disease is characterized by high fever, sudden onset, rapid
    transmission, and high mortality rate.

Municipal Government Secretary Yan Xinguo participated in the
    conference.  He requested all districts of the city to heighten
    awareness, formulate vigorous measures, organize with utmost care,
    strengthen monitoring, and pay attention to disease trends at all
    times.  Relevant departments must carry out legal inspections of pig
    transports and conscientiously strengthen the intensity of
    inspections at border inspection spots.  Animal husbandry and other
    relevant departments must strengthen market supervision, firmly deal
    with disease, and strengthen oversight against disease during
    production, slaughter and sale.  Once high fever pig illness of
    unknown origin is discovered, immediately file reports, quickly
    undertake safe disposal, strictly disinfect, work hard against the
    sale of dead diseased pigs and pigs that have died of unknown causes,
    and ensure the safety of meat on the market.  Relevant departments
    must suspend purchase of pigs from disease-affected areas to prevent
    the spread of pig disease. While prevention and control of unknown
    high fever pig disease is being accomplished, strictly watch for
    other animal diseases and thoroughly plan prevention and control work
    for other serious animal diseases. Organize specialized teams to
    supervise disease inspection to ensure substantial progress on
    disease prevention in the fall.

[3]
    Date: 4 Sep 2006
    Source: Jiangshan Television [translated by sender, edited]
    <http://www.21js.com/Program/News/ShowNews.Asp?NewsID=14230>

Recently, the circumstances of pig "high fever illness" have been
    relatively severe.  In response, Jiangshan is adopting measures to
    actively implement prevention and treatment. [Jiangshan -- a common
    city name, occurring in several Chinese provinces -- is in this case
    a municipality within the larger Quzhou City, situated in the western
    part of Zhejiang Province. - CopyEd.PG]

Pig "high fever illness" is appearing in all areas in our province
    [Zhejiang] other than Zhoushan City.  There are more than 66 000 ill
    pigs and already more than 11 000 have died.  Since July, pig "high
    fever illness" has appeared in one village after the other in
    Jiangshan. Symptoms are elevated body temperature, redness on the
    body surface, and cough.  Ears turn light blue in a minority of pigs.
    The mortality rate among sucklings and weaned pigs is especially
    high.  To effectively carry out prevention of pig "high fever
    illness", the municipal agriculture department strengthens disease
    inspection and safe disposal of deceased ill pigs, and guides
    pig-raising households to lower temperatures in pigsties, reducing
    the occurrence of disease.

On the morning of 4 Sep 2006, Jiangshan held a pig "high fever
    illness" prevention meeting.  Vice mayor Xu Daqing demanded
    heightened attention to pig "high fever illness" and thorough
    implementation of all prevention and control measures, including
    sealing off and isolating disease sites, strengthening hygiene and
    disinfection, and reducing movement of pigs.  At this time, traders
    are prohibited from importing breeding pigs from other provinces and
    cities to strictly prevent disease from entering Jiangshan and to
    ensure the efficacy of disease prevention work.

[Byline: Yu Chunzhou]

--
    ProMED-mail
    <promed@promedmail.org>

[Our first posting referred to Anhui, Jiangxi, Zhejiang, Hunan,
    Hubei, Jiangsu, and other provinces.  Today's reports additionally
    mention Jiangshan City in Zheijiang province and Henan province (see
    <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/China_administrative.png>).

Given the reports of over a million dead pigs, many of which appear
    to be in village settings, the disease is clearly widespread.
    Secondly, death is reported to occur in  over 40 percent of pigs,
    definitely making this a high-mortality event.

The big question is what disease is causing such widespread mortality
    in swine?  Clearly, "high fever" or "blue ear" disease is not a
    diagnosis, rather they are signs of an undiagnosed and seemingly
    systemic disease.  "Blue ear" was used by Europeans as a slang name
    early on for the recently emerged Porcine Respiratory and
    Reproductive Disease, but this does not generally cause such
    widespread mortality among all age groups.  Discoloration of the skin
    can be seen in several swine diseases including erysipelas and
    salmonellosis.

Such high mortality and the widespread nature of this outbreak -- as
    well as the control measures instituted -- prompts one to think of
    epidemic swine diseases such as Hog Cholera (as known as Classical
    Swine Fever) or African Swine Fever. However, I hope that the Chinese
    authorities are carefully considering the possibility of Swine
    Influenza usually caused by H1N1, H1N2, or H3N2 in Asia.  Although
    Swine Influenza does not normally cause very high mortality (i.e.
    only 2-3 percent die when the disease is endemic), a new influenza
    strain could cause high mortality in swine, just as it would in
    humans. Therefore, it is important we find out exactly what is
    causing this undefined, undiagnosed disease over large areas of
    China. - Mod.PC]

[see also:
    Undiagnosed disease, porcine - China (South), RFI 20060903.2508
    Undiagnosed die-off, porcine - China (Jiangsu): RFI 20060412.1087]
    ..............pc/pg/lm

Judy View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 10:53pm
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=1832628
    This link tells of deaths of pigs in China in April 2006, undetermined cause.
    (sorry, I do not know how to copy the articles.)

steve 101 View Drop Down
    Adviser Group
    Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve 101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 10:21pm
    remember that Boxun news agency a few months back put out a report that something was following the railway lines and heading east. Boxun also said that china was talking about getting rid of the pig industry to save the chicken industry. Any one else remember that.  This may be what it was
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 9:29pm

The 1918 strain was "more avian" than mammalian, but there's alot of speculation as to how it developed.

The 1918 influenza pandemic had another unique feature, the simultaneous (or nearly simultaneous) infection of humans and swine. The virus of the 1918 pandemic likely expressed an antigenically novel subtype to which most humans and swine were immunologically naive in 1918 (12,20). Recently published sequence and phylogenetic analyses suggest that the genes encoding the HA and neuraminidase (NA) surface proteins of the 1918 virus were derived from an avianlike influenza virus shortly before the start of the pandemic and that the precursor virus had not circulated widely in humans or swine in the few decades before (12,15,24). More recent analyses of the other gene segments of the virus also support this conclusion. Regression analyses of human and swine influenza sequences obtained from 1930 to the present place the initial circulation of the 1918 precursor virus in humans at approximately 1915–1918 (20). Thus, the precursor was probably not circulating widely in humans until shortly before 1918, nor did it appear to have jumped directly from any species of bird studied to date (19). In summary, its origin remains puzzling.

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 4:46am
    Originally posted by Sins Sins wrote:

Didn't the original 1918 Spanish Flu go from birds into pigs then to humans?  It took china 3 years to work out and admit that a man died of avian flu way back in 2003. I Don't think this is very good news at all. Have there been any reports of large unknown cause pigs deaths anywhere else in Asia, or Africa?

I think the 1918 stain did not mix in the pig first, but that's not to say H5N1 won't or hasn't. We've already seen H5N1's ability to cause infection in a whole host of different mammals.

These pig deaths could be H5N1 and a cover up by China. They've already shown they will cover up H5 infection.

Medclinician - do you have contacts in China? We need you for this.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 4:30am

Its  presented in easy to read Power Point . It just says everything you guys are posting in regards to BF .
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 3:56am
    Found under Fujian , is this the same as Fujian in the thread below , am un able to find a book on Virology for Blonde's . Same Fujian pops up under Dengue ? Confused

Statement on Influenza Vaccination for the 2005-2006 Season - CCDR ...
    A select number of isolates reported to be A/Fujian/ 411/2002-like prior to February ... The vaccines to be marketed in Canada for the 2005-2006 flu season ...
    www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/05vol31/asc-dcc-6/index.html - 118k - Cached - Similar pages
    Sins View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 2:40am
    Didn't the original 1918 Spanish Flu go from birds into pigs then to humans?  It took china 3 years to work out and admit that a man died of avian flu way back in 2003. I Don't think this is very good news at all. Have there been any reports of large unknown cause pigs deaths anywhere else in Asia, or Africa?
    Leave a kiss and hug as your mark on the hearts of others
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 11:00pm
    Originally posted by rodin33 rodin33 wrote:

Originally posted by gettingready gettingready wrote:

ABBFSmile

Yep, that's what he used to say, I wonder how he's doing, haven't heard from him in a long time.

Mystery Swine Death in Eastern China    , just a few threads down  .

Hi wondering if you could read the above thread and view Taxonomy on just two of the virus in the Pigs in China .

Influenza A virus                        Influenza A virus
                   < A/swine/Anhui/2004                < A/swine/Fujian/2003
                           H5N1 >                                 <H5N1>

From Cruiser's Post .....  saw somewhere here Fujian also for another virus we were posting . so swine flu  no mystery like getting ready would say . as quoted .

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 10:08pm
    Originally posted by gettingready gettingready wrote:

ABBFSmile

Yep, that's what he used to say, I wonder how he's doing, haven't heard from him in a long time.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 9:53pm
    ABBFSmile
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic