Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Nearly 1 million Pigs May Have Died China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2006 at 7:03pm
This is an interesting site...very understandable if you really want to get a handle on H5N1.

DEC 2005

Excerpt- 

H5N1 has high affinity for
a specific amino acid linkage on avian
RNA but does not readily establish
this same linkage on human RNA,
thus, it is very difficult for humans to
become infected. (was?)

The possibility of a
new H5N1 subtype that can lead to
highly efficient human-to-human
transmission is very real.10

There are a few ways a new human subtype can
evolve:

1) the virus can infect humans
and undergo adaptive mutations that
allow it to recognize the linkage on
human RNA, or it could obtain genes
from a human influenza virus that
would allow it to replicate effectively
in humans, or

2) both an avian flu
virus and human virus are present in a
third host and then “mix” together. Ito
and coworkers11 suggest that pigs
have both linkages, so they can be
infected by both avian and human
influenza A virus at the same time.

It is
theoretically possible for the avian flu
virus to adapt the human linkage or
acquire genes from the human virus
while residing in the pig.12 This
mutation could result in a new virus
subtype that would be able to have
efficient human-to-human
transmission while retaining the
virulence of the avian influenza.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 4:17am
'Pig fever' detectedAdd to Clippings
[ 5 Jul, 2006 1836hrs ISTIANS ]

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Kerala's Animal Husbandry Minister C. Divakaran on Wednesday confirmed that pig fever had been diagnosed and was the cause of death of pigs at a private farm in Wayanad.

This is believed to be the first reported case of the disease in the country.

"Pig fever was ascribed to the death of pigs by the Indian Veterinary Research Institute in Uttar Pradesh after samples were sent to them," said Divakaran.

Reports indicate that initially the owner of the pig farm in Wayanad, about 600 km from here, kept silent about the sudden death of pigs at his farm.

Later, after media reported on the possibility of the disease, samples were taken from the farm and sent to Bangalore followed by Uttar Pradesh.

"We have taken elaborate steps to see that vaccines are distributed to other pig farms in the state," said Divakara.

Speaking to the reporters, Kurian Thomas, who was instrumental in setting up the pig farm at the Mannuthy Veterinary College in Trissur, said there was no need for any panic.

"It would be foolish to start killing pigs on this count. There are vaccines that can contain the spread of the disease," he said.

According to reports, there are around 150 pig farms in Kerala with a total population of around 70,000 pigs. This is July 2006 ,
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=pig+deaths+oct+2006&btnG=Google+Search&meta=  India 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 4:39am
India again Ouch swine fever spreads thru the air , food , or touch .

Kerala - Thrissur    

Pigs' death: swine fever confirmed
Staff Reporter

THRISSUR: Tests conducted at the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Bareli, Uttar Pradesh, have confirmed that swine fever was the cause of the large-scale death of pigs at the farm of the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (CoVAS), Mannuthy, near here, in recent weeks.
  • College Dean E Nanu told The Hindu here that the test results were received from the IVRI authorities by fax on Tuesday afternoon. The samples collected from the dead pigs were taken to the IVRI by an expert veterinarian from the CoVAS last week by air.

Tests conducted at the CoVAS and at Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University earlier also indicated that `swine fever' caused the death of the pigs at the CoVAS farm.

Now, with the arrival of the test results from the IVRI, which has advanced test facilities, the college authorities have formed a conclusive diagnosis that swine fever led to death of the pigs, Dr. Nanu said.

With this, the fear that the administration of the vaccine against foot-and-mouth disease caused the death of the pigs has been proved unfounded.

Dr. Nanu said the CoVAS farm had about 1,115 pigs. Of them, around 135 had died in the recent weeks, while another 25 were in a critical condition.

About the measures to be adopted in view of the latest findings, Dr. Nanu said the normal practice would be to cull the pigs affected by swine fever. But this could be done only after getting the consent of the authorities concerned.

He said he had convened a meeting of the heads of the departments at CoVAS on Wednesday to chalk out follow-up action.

He said swine fever could spread through air, food or physical contact.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/10/04/stories/2006100412890300.htm

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 11:46am
    Family: Orthomyxoviridae
    Genera

Influenzavirus A
    Influenzavirus B
    Influenzavirus C
    Isavirus
    Thogotovirus

From Wikipedia...

Variants of this species are sometimes named according to the species the strain is endemic in or adapted to. The main variants named using this convention are:

Avian variants have also sometimes been named according to their deadliness in poultry, especially chickens:

• Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza (LPAI)
    • Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI), also called: deadly flu or death flu

The Influenza A virus subtypes are labeled according to an H number (for hemagglutinin) and an N number (for neuraminidase). Each subtype virus has mutated into a variety of strains with differing pathogenic profiles; some pathogenic to one species but not others, some pathogenic to multiple species. Most known strains are extinct strains. For example, the annual flu subtype H3N2 no longer contains the strain that caused the Hong Kong Flu.

Influenza A viruses are negative sense, single-stranded, segmented RNA viruses. "There are 16 different HA antigens (H1 to H16) and nine different NA antigens (N1 to N9) for influenza A. Until recently, 15 HA types had been recognized, but a new type (H16) was isolated from black-headed gulls caught in Sweden and the Netherlands in 1999 and reported in the literature in 2005." [2]

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 11:53am
    EXCERPT-     http://www.whale.to/vaccines/swine.html

WALLACE: Mary, did you take a swine flu shot?

MARY TYLER MOORE: No, I did not.

WALLACE: Did you give them permission to use your name saying that you had or were going to?

MOORE: Absolutely not. Never did.

WALLACE: Did you ask your own doctor about taking the swine flu shot?

MOORE: Yes, and at the time he thought it might be a good idea. But I resisted it, because I was leery of having the symptoms that sometimes go with that kind of inoculation.

WALLACE: So you didn't?

MOORE: No, I didn't.

WALLACE: Have you spoken to your doctor since?

MOORE: Yes.

WALLACE: And?

MOORE: He's delighted that I didn't take that shot.

WALLACE: You're in charge. Somebody's in charge.

DR SENCER: There are -

WALLACE: This is your advertising strategy that I have a copy of here.

DR SENCER: Who's it signed by?

WALLACE: This one is unsigned. But you--you'll acknowledge that it was your baby so to speak?

DR SENCER: It could have been from the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. It could be from CDC. I don't know. I'll be happy to take responsibility for it.

WALLACE: It's been three years now since you fell ill by GBS right?

ROBERTS: Right.

WALLACE: Has the federal government, in your estimation, played fair with you about your claim?

ROBERTS: No, I don't think so. It seems to be dragging on and on and on, and really no end in sight that I can see at this point.

JOSEPH CALIFANO: With respect to the cases of Guillain Barre...

WALLACE: Former Secretary of HEW Joseph Caifano, too was disturbed that there was no end in sight. So a year and a half ago, he proposed that Uncle Sam would cut the bureaucratic red tape for victims suffering from GBS and would pay up quickly.

CALIFANO: We shouldn't hold them to an impossible or too difficult standard of proving that they were hurt. Even if we pay a few people a few thousand dollars that might not have deserved it, I think justice requires that we promptly pay those people who do deserve it.

WALLACE: Who's making the decision to be so hard-nosed about settling?

CALIFANO: Well, I assume the Justice Department is.

WALLACE: Griffin Bell, before he left?

CALIFANO: Well, the Justice Department agreed to the statement I made. It was cleared word for word with the lawyers in the Justice Department by my HEW lawyers.

CALIFANO: That-that statement said that we should pay Guillain Barre claims without regard to whether the federal government was negligent, if they - if they resulted from the swine flu shot.

GENE ROBERTS: I think the government knows its wrong.

JUDY ROBERTS: If it drags out long enough, that people will just give up, let it go.

GENE ROBERTS: I—I am a little more adament in my thoughts than my wife is, because I asked - told Judy to take the shot. She wasn't going to take it, and she never had had shots. And I'm mad with my government because they knew the fact, but they didn't realise those facts because they - if they had released them, the people wouldn't have taken it. And they can come out tomorrow and tell me there's going to be an epidemic, and they can drop off like flies to - next to me, I will not take another shot that my government tells me to take.

WALLACE: Meantime, Judy Roberts and some 4,000 others like her are still waiting for their day in court.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
      Share Topic