Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

RVs and prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RVs and prepping
    Posted: October 21 2006 at 6:34pm
I'd like to mention something the Child Bride and I are doing to prepare for the coming pandemic.  When you consider that something like one in nine households in the U.S. has a recreational vehicle of some kind,  raising this topic may increase awareness of some resources that a lot of us have parked in our yards that aren't used for about 48 or 49 weeks out of the year.

We have a 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Motor Home.  It has 100 gallons of  fresh water holding capacity, 65 gallons of black water, 50 gallons of holding for gray water.  It  can hold 14 gallons of propane and 78 gallons of gasoline and has a 5000 watt generator.  It  has a refrigerator that can operate on  110 or on propane.  It sleeps six.  Are you other preppers out there getting some ideas already?

We are doing many of the in-house prepping that it looks like everyone else is doing--we aren't prepping in the motor home instead of doing the standard preps, but in addition to.  We also have a bug-out place to go to in the motor home  with  30 amp  electricity  (assuming  electric power exists) and water and a place to go dump holding tanks periodically.  Our RV has space for  food in addition to the food in our house and gives us an additional kitchen to the one in the house if we need it.  The motor home, which stays parked in our back yard and hooked to 30 amp most of  the time, also has possibilities as a sick room if we need it. 

We have had a camping trailer in the past and other than for  the size in tankages, since we had a portable 4200 watt generator, it gave us most of the same backups.  Oh yes, almost all RVs have some battery power if the batteries are kept charged ahead of power outages.

Anyone who has a popup camper,  camping trailer, fifth wheel, or motor home has a backup for these kinds of emergencies if only he realizes the value of what he has and makes plans for using it.

Is anyone else using an RV as a backup in case life in the "home-home" gets unworkable?  How are you doing it?

Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 9:49pm
  Hi Edprof, we have a 30ft. travel trailer, it was a life saver during Katrina.  It sits on our property. We lived in it for about 3 weeks until things start to return half way back to normal after Katrina.  We will use it during the time of BF if need.  We plan to put supplies down there starting next week.  We will not be moving it to travel in during BF.  We just bought a used pop up 3 days ago.  We will aslo use that if we need to.  If we have to leave, which we don't intend to this will be a last resort.  We will pull the pop up.  I' glad we have them both.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 3:47pm
I full time in my 28 foot travel trailer.  I pretty much stay in two locations during the year.  I am prepped to the hilt in it.  This might be of interest to you.....weight limits.  You are in a motorhome so what you can carry is far greater than in my travel trailer so I am working on prepping it with dehydrated goods.  I've gone through it and know what pots and pans I use and gave a friend the rest.  I had way too much dinnerware weighing me down.  I exchanged a desk top for a lap top which certainly weighs less and costs less to use.  I carry seven changes of clothing and that is it.  I do; however, have 200 pounds of dog food in it.  That certainly takes a "bite" out of what I can carry.
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 1:07pm

We will be using the Costco emergency supply buckets for the RV and/or the car. It is great for "grab and go" and stores good.  We picked up one from Sam's Club which had a different food list.  They are sealed well and should last for years.  We can use RV storage as a extra pantry from the house pantry.  We also have extra clothing, etc. just like camping!

Pat
MississippiMama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 5:45pm
we are in the process of getting ours set up for this same purpose.  We even put in a small wall mounted propane heater so if the electrcity goes out.
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2006 at 9:29pm
I have thought of this but here in Michigan the summers get ungodly hot, I think any food left in an RV would melt. I have heard others are prepping a second location in a storage unit, but again, it's so hot. What to do?
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2006 at 2:50pm
the heat is a big factor in AZ, so we load perishable sensitive foods in a box to load last minute and store dry stuff, etc. all year.in the RV.  The perishibles are loaded as the refrig. is turned on to cool a couple of days before a trip.If necessary we will load perishibles inroute or at desination.
Never a problem.
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2006 at 7:22am
We wont be going anywhere, but we have a 33 foot Holiday Rambler that is allways full of fuel.  We use Pri-G and stableize the gas.  This is our main storage for gasoline for the generator (Honda 2000, a dream machine), which is almost solely to be used to run the well pump and the flour mill.  I've crunched the numbers several times, and with the gasoline we're storing in all vehicles and 5 gallon plastic cans, we easily have two years of stableized fuel.  Yeah, a motorhome costs a chunk of change, but if SHTF then the gasoline would be priceless.  Just my luck someone would steal it.  Ahhhh, the better laid plans of mice and men.  :(
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 2:48pm
We bought a locking gas cap for our motor home just in case someone tried to steal our gas.Embarrassed
Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic