Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Being Discreet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being Discreet
    Posted: February 07 2006 at 8:13pm

Of course we all want people everywhere to take the threat of an Avian Flu pandemic seriously, and make preparations for themselves and their families.  We can all lift our voices and raise the alarm to our friends, family and loved ones with a clear conscience.  But we all realize that only those who are willing to see what is in front of their faces will heed the call.  Many will be too unconcerned, too busy, too distracted, too poor, too stuborn or too lazy to prepare to be responsible for their own welfare UNTIL AFTER A CRISIS HAS ALREADY EMERGED.  We all know what that means: panic buying, people caught without necessities or with only meager amounts of basic essentials.  These people will expect "somebody" to "do something" to make up for their individual unpreparedness.  The "somebody" that heeds their call (or tries to) is likely to be some branch of local, state or federal government, of course.  But where will government obtain it's supplies with which to grant relief in the event of a widespread crisis?

There are already reports of governmental entities (from municipalities right on up to the federal level) who are planning on instructing your fellow grasshopper citizens to inform them, during a crisis, of the fact that you have food, water, fuel, and other essential commodities to be comandeered for the "greater good".  Even your 72 hour "bug out" kit is being discussed as ripe for confiscation if the authorities deem it necessary.  This is not paranoia, this is for real.  Aside from the accounts that have been filtering in regarding this, there are actual Presidential Executive Orders, in writing, that have only to be invoked by the Commander in Chief.  These Executive Orders cover FoodElectricity and Fuel, vehicles, Medicines & First Aid supplies. (click link for the exact text of the Executive Order). These orders can be invoked in a "time of crisis" although what constitutes a "crisis" is never defined and supposedly open to interpretation.  One could legitimately construe an influenza pandemic with a high mortality rate to be a crisis.

If it has not already occured to you, you may want to be very cautious about "who knows what" when it comes to you and your stockpiled survival preparations.  The greatest key to keeping what you have, is keeping what you have QUIET.

On the subject, here are some preparedness minded people who have explored the topic of cover stories in some detail.  Some of these sound pretty convincing.  My wife and I have used some of them when making unusual purchases.

When you make a purchase by phone, mail order or the internet, make some effort to cover your tracks.  I sometimes use an alias, and have never failed to receive USPS or UPS deliveries.  Worried that the UPS driver will get curious about all the packages you're having delivered?  Odds are, the UPS guy won't really remember that much unless you live in a small town or deliveries are rare.  Cover your tracks by breaking things up a bit - Maybe get some of your mail order stuff thru other channels occasionally, Fed Ex or USPS just to cut down on the volume thru a single channel.  Maybe have some of it delivered where you work, or where hubby works, or to a friend or neighbor, saying it's a surprise for your wife's/husband's birthday party, you won't be home when it's delivered, don't want it stolen, etc. (just as long as you're sure they won't open it and it doesn't have an incriminating return address).  Mail Boxes ETC is a possibility, or a Post Office Box (very economical). 

The next level of security (may only be necessary for "sensitive" purchases) is to leave no electronic trail.  How hard do you think it would be for a merchant to generate a list of credit card numbers of people who purchased generators in the past 2 years... and for credit card companies to provide a list of names and addresses to go with those account numbers?  Not very hard, especially when it's in the interest of "national security".  There are some great suggetions in a book by J.J. Luna "How To Be Invisible".  Buy it at a bookstore out of town, pay cash, don't use your bookstore membership card to get a discount.  Think about making those on-line purchases using a postal money order instead of a credit card or check.

I'm not paranoid, but I try to practice "leaving small footprints" in daily life just to stay in practice in case I ever do need to be ultra confidential.  Try it - it's less convenient, sure, but make it a game and you will soon find that "treading light" in the world of commerce is not so hard at all.

Edited by bruss01
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 3:27am
Also try not to use costo card or cards that collect points for puchases..those are all good ways of tracking your purchases...
even thou you might be saving a few dollars..it may not be worth it in the long run...
Trully think of places to hide some of your preps...
Tired View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 8:59am
Great post bruss!

I am avoiding purchasing a bulk of items at once. I've been buying things here and there. It's alot less suspicious when I go to costco and buy two cases of water rather than purchasing enough in one trip to fill the car! I've also tried to avoid large orders via internet. I've purchased my masks from a few different places, never more than one box per order. Sure, I pay more for shipping...but oh well! I'd rather do that then have someone come across the fact that I have purchased 50 boxes of N95's in one shopping order.

Better to be safe than sorry....
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 10:01am
I think it best to shop in big city, pay cash and leave. And in a borrowed car.
Items that WILL RAISE a flag, and can get the drug agents called on you for buying them, don't know why, but I had it happen to me.
I don't know what the dopeheads do with the stuff below, nor care, but buying these things WILL GET you some ATTENTION FAST and the kind you DON'T WANT. I learned the HARD WAY about this.

Coffee filters, more than 1 pack raises suspicion.
Coleman fuel, any amount unless buying other camp stuff.
Lye, buying any turns em on.
Bulk buys of matches, don't do this, buy a zippo, and extra cans of fluid.
Gas treatment, not stabilizer but the kind to get water out, turns em on BADLY.
Cold and sinus medicines, buying more than one of most of it, is against the law here.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 10:00am

Well hopefully the power WILL go off????

If they can't use their computers, 'they' can't track us.  Unless they are already watching???  I think I'll file this under my list of what not to worry about too much; hopefully they are tracking my ammunition purchases....

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:49pm

I beilve in keeping quite, what comforts me is knowing that so few people are going to be preped so that it will be quite beleivable  to your neighbours that you have no food, if you make any effort to conceal food it will work .

In truth, how many of your neighbours think you are the smartest  most prepared person they have ever meet .  No my neighbours will be quite content to think I am as stupid as they are 

I will complain loudly about not finding food and being worried about my family.   

present such a small percentage of the population.  any one have any quesses what percentage of the population  will be prepped for more than a few weeks of food and water.   I think that could be a very important fact to know.

Edited by RBARNES55
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 8:43pm

Im not as worried about the authorities as I am about uninvited guests. The authorities are going to be stretched thin as it is tracking down food stashes is going to be to time consuming IMO

My feelings on this could be shded by my remote local though. I do think discretion is in order all around

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 10:40pm
Damn, once again new ways to think about things. 
I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
larrylinux View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrylinux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 7:17am
bruss01 (and others)

It is probably a good plan to be discreet about your purchases but what about your activity here on this forum. Most ISPs (Internet Service Providers) keep very accurate records of which user was using which IP address at what time. Just in case you haven't noticed, your IP is logged everytime you post to this site. Wouldn't that be a nice conveient list of people with lots of supplies.

LL

ps - I will go one step farther and really ramp up some paranoia - who out there knows who put up this website and who is paying the bills for it?
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 7:55am

Larry -

You've offered some food for thought.  I participate in many forums, and the general rule of thumb seems to be not to post anything you don't want the whole world to know.  Internet content can be either fleeting or imortal, depending on who's hosting, how long the records are maintained, etc.  Even most ISP's have limits on how long they retain their data, and most folks use dynamic IP addresses so they rarely have the same IP twice.  Those with static IP addresses can use a service like Anonomyzer or MegaProxy for an added layer of security.

Typically it's the low hanging fruit that is picked first.  The easy things, like neighborhood "snitches" will be the first layer, then possibly door to door "interviews" or "surveys" in the name of finding out who has what. The next level will be when things get really desperate, the matching up retail and credit card databases.  I think if they get to the point where they're sifting thru old internet forums, that's really scraping the bottom of the barrel and they'll be lucky to have anyone left at the ISP by that time anyway. 

I could be wrong, but I think posting here is fairly safe for any but an "end of the world" scenario.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrylinux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 8:18am
bruss01,

That was my general intention in this post, to make people think. I am amazed by the amount of information people freely give out on websites; the "bios" thread on this forum is an excellent example.

Unfortunately even dynamic IPs are not a defense. All ISPs are required to keep records (not sure of the time reqiuirement) of which user pulled which IP at which time. The use of proxies would benefit any user, especially those who use broadband connections such as cable or dsl; these connections, even though dynamic in nature, rarely ever change. I have been pulling the same address from my "dynamic" setting for over six months now. Even proxies, at their best, are only an extra added layer of security.

As I have come to understand, you should never use the word "security" and "computers" in the same sentence

LL

ps - any idea who does run and pay for this site?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 8:25am

Yes LL, I know who pays the bills.  I don't know him personally but I know who he is.

He chooses to protect his identity for the very reasons you do.

SZ

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrylinux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 8:33am
SZ,

I figured you knew. My "ps" was just an attempt to get a rise out of the "conspiracy theorists" out there

LL

ps  - I personally don't believe that in the digital age true anonymity is possible.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 8:45am

LL, I agree and in fact was just stating same in a PM to another user.  I refuse to worry about it, I just don't want to make it easy for the general public to know who I am and where my stuff is.  But if .gov wants to know who I am it would take them less than 30 seconds to find out.

SZ

meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 2:23pm

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine that is retired military intelligence, today. He told me that certain sites on the internet set off flags that alert National Security and they will monitor your ISP and the sites you visit. They do so routinely but usually only for a short period of time...say 1-2 weeks just to find out what caused the flag to trip. He said that going to New World Order sites or other what the Security considers "subversive" web sites, any middle east news sites or what they consider to be terrorist countries, will also send up a flag. Any person who has a relative who is fighting in the war in Iraq or Afghanistan is monitored and all e-mail are read before you get them to ensure there is not a breach of secuirty that would compromise the safety of other soldiers or missions.  He said that usually they just scan what you are doing and leave it a that. But during that time that they are monitoring you, you have become a "person of interest" to them. They will naturally monitor you if you are purchasing large amounts of ammo, fertilizer, or certain types of medications.....but if it is found that you are not belonging to or affiliated with shady characters they pretty much end it there. So guess what folks?  They do know who you are!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 5:39pm
Ah HELL, we know they got satelites that can read our drivers license and us setting our ass on them at the time. As long as we are for the good of others in the US, piss on it. There is not one thing wrong with helping others before something like this may hit, you can use the same info if the terror idiots do something else.

If this stuff gets wild, everyone will feel the same affects, in the same proportions. We will all be crippled to a certain extent.

My concern is the straving masses in the cities, pouring out to the country side. Right or wrong country folks will fear evil from all of them, and fear is what gets people killed.
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 5:44pm

What I find hilarious is that outside of not going to "subversive sites" I must have been ringing their bells for a LOOONGGG time!

Meewee

God Bless us all!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 7:52pm

Oh yeah!!!  And for those of us lucky few who are also on Reno's watch list a cross ref is a bit unsettling.  But I'm with Bebo... nothing to fear from just trying to learn and help each other.

Gee... I wonder if I'm gonna have company soon, I better clean house.

SZ

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 7:53pm

OOPS,

I probably shouldn't have posted that last sentence!  Although I meant vacuum and dust... it could be interpreted otherwise

DM View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 10:13pm

Wanna hear something really scary, although not related to BF? 

My husband was given a gun by one of his Japanese co-workers who had to return to Japan after working in the US for several years.  Apparently, the US Govt. shares gun purchase info. with the Japanes govt.  Not long after this guy returned to Japan the Japanes police kicked his door in and searched his apartment for the gun that they presumed he returned to Japan with.  He then had to explain what he did with it & my husband even had to send a letter explaining how he received it.

What a mess! 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 11:23pm

The Canadians have bill 138 and it will pass this summer it marshal law

and we are passive polite and calm (well some of us sometimes)

Its now time to be afraid

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic