Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Yancey flu scare draws CDC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 5:59am
    Thank yall so much.Yall are like family and I really dont want anyone else getting sick so please take what precautions you can.I feel really good this morning I finally got a good nights sleep.My daughter seems to be feeling a bit better,my son is still feeling rough.My mil may have a sinus infection I had hubby check her temp and pick her up some saline spray.My brother in law saw the Dr and is on the mend from hernia surgery.My niece made it through surgery but she just wants to be alone after losing her baby I sure hope she doesnt blame her self.My little sister is going for surgery mon at 1pm and Ive got a walker ready and a wheel chair in case she needs them.I havent heard from my uncle so Im assuming no news is good news.Ive got to get some wood in a cold front is comming in,and Ive got to get straw put in the barn so my horses stay warm.    
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 7:50am
Carolina Kid, I'm praying for you and your family too. Keep your chin up, it'll get better. It's best anyway that these surgeries get out of the way now before the pan flu starts.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 3:55pm
So has the CDC reported any information to the public about what they think is going on yet?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 4:31pm
    Not that Im aware of.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 4:54pm
http://www.ajc.com/news/

Lab tests have confirmed the North Carolina outbreak is a run-of-the-mill influenza B virus, which is generally mild, with fever, body aches and dry cough. Most patients were well within four to five days, health officials said, although four children were hospitalized.

At week's end it had not been determined whether the particular strain is covered by this year's flu vaccine;

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 7:55pm
Carolina Kid, thanks for posting that link to that article, it was a good one.  I noted what they said in there, about some people not understanding this difference between this or bird flu.  What I read into that is that it's probably infectious to the point of, or people are seeing sickness unprecidented, that they're assuming it's the worst case scenario.  The really sad thing about it is that as sick as everyone in the area is, avian flu would be soooo much worse.
I went back to Sams today on a day trip and bought more of the 25 pound bags of things (flour, rice) to calm my nervous heart about all of this!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 9:01pm
    Even if this strain is covered by the vaccine people still need to get the vaccine in case the regular seasonal flu hits.Your right this is nothing compaired to a pandemic.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 9:29pm
Carolina kid, my thoughts are with you , better days are coming, chin up, roxy
Judy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 7:43am
Influenza type B is not always simple. My youngest daughter contracted cerebrospinal meningitis from the influenza type B virus, according to the medical reports.
If ignorance is bliss, what is chocolate?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 5:50am
California      14/11/06  Whooping Cough  7 plus 37 suspected cases .
Santa Clara County .

Epidemic - North-America Common Alerting Protocol

Event summary
GLIDE Number EP-20061114-8380-USA    
Event type Epidemic Date / time [UTC] 14/11/2006 - 06:13:36 (Military Time, UTC)
Country USA Area Santa Clara County
County / State California State City -
Cause of event Unknow Log date 14/11/2006 - 06:13:36 (Military Time, UTC)
Damage level Heavy Time left
Latitude: N 37° 13.983 Longitude: W 121° 46.000
Number of deaths: Not or Not data Number of injured persons: Not or Not data
Evacuated: - Infected 37
-
DESCRIPTION
Soon pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, hit members of the cross-country team. Now seven cases of the tough, rib-cracking infection have been confirmed at Palo Alto High School; county health officials suspect 37 more. And all 1,700 Paly students are being encouraged to get booster shots to keep the disease from spreading.The Santa Clara County health department will hold a free pertussis vaccination clinic on campus Wednesday, and has alerted more than 5,000 local health care providers about the outbreak, reminding doctors how to test for the disease and treat it. While many people assume whooping cough is gone from the United States -- eradicated like polio -- it's been on the rise in recent years. The infection can result in weeks of coughing, cracked ribs, pneumonia and other complications. The cough, which may be accompanied by a ``whooping'' sound, can be so severe it leaves patients struggling to catch their breath. In the Paly students, the disease typically mimicked a common cold at first, with a terrible, lingering cough developing days later. ``It's really a tough, tough disease,'' said Dr. Marty Fenstersheib, the Santa Clara County health officer. It can kill babies, with the highest death rates in infants too young to be immunized. While most children are vaccinated, scientists have learned that protection wanes significantly within 10 years. So teens who got the standard series of DPT shots as babies may be susceptible again. Last year, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that everyone between the ages of 11 and 64 get a new ``Tdap'' booster shot to protect against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic