Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Kerosene Heaters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kerosene Heaters
    Posted: November 29 2006 at 12:02pm
    I've been working on my preps for a while but have been struggling with heating and lighting options. I'm pretty well set on lighting. But heating is still a problem. I thought I'd get a Coleman Procat propane heater to use only if someone was sick and we needed to heat the "sick room." I'm in the Kansas City area, technically the "south," so it still gets cold in the winter and sometimes can be real cold despite global warming. I have a fireplace but that's a net energy loser plus its use would attract attention. I've now picked up a used Sears kerosene convection heater...it will heat the entire living room nicely but will burn about 2 gallons of kerosene a day if so obviously that presents a safety/stockpiling issue. Butthe more I read about kerosene the better I feel about this route. Any regular kero users out there with tips?           
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 7:57am
Hi, NeverTooLate, we have a similar heater.  Two gallons of kerosene per day is about right for us too.  We can keep 600 square feet from freezing in 20 degree weather with it, or keep about 250 reasonably warm.  We live in Arkansas.  Tongue
Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 8:31am
That's the rub--2 gallons per day for 90 days equals 180 gallons....better pick up some more 5 gallon cans.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 8:44am
Depending on the model of heater, you can cook on the top of it, or at least heat water for instant coffee, soup etc. Buy an extra wick or two, their cheap and extras are always good insurance.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 4:49pm
Don't burn your kerosene heater at night very dangerous.
Safety Lady View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safety Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 12:27pm
Get a CO detector also.  CO2 poisoning is not nice.  You need to be treated quickly and most of the time need a hypoberic champeer for o2/co transfer in the body. 

I use a small room and turn off the heater until the room starts to cool.  I usually burn it for ten minutes every hour or ninety minutes.  It does ration the kerosene. 

Other tips:  Dress in layers.
Wear a stocking hat.  You stay warmer.
Put up a small tent for the kids play in.  It warms inside quickly from their little body heat. 
Cuddle with the dog or cat.  Their body heat is warmer and it gives you a calm feeling.  My dog is 106 pounds and gives off massive heat.
Drink warm liquids if you can.  I am fixing hobo stoves.  It is tough fixing hot water over a votive candle.  I have coleman stoves, an antique cook stove (not in use right now but eawy to reinstall.  The top of the wood stove can be used to heat food and water.  I have more items to add but need to go christmas shopping.  Later.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 8:03am
the square kero heaters use less kero.  some have blowers on them
the tall round heaters use a lot of kero but they put out a lot of heat
i have small kids and use the square one  with a blower  i  don't use the blower most of the time because the power is off    we had a ice storm last year had no power for a week but we stayed warm   the heater i use doesn't get hot enough to burn  you on the top or sides  
i do have the tall round one also  you can cook on it if you had to   

don't close the room off with a kero heater on 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 4:40pm
We buy Kerosene at the pumps and mix with K-1 for our tall round corona 23-dk heater and that seems to work just fine, about the 2 gallons a day if run 24 hours. We run it until it heats our 1000 square foot shop (still in the process of building, like forever), then shut it off. We practice layering with hats like Safety Lady mentioned. Good Luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 11:36am
i was looking today a a kerosene heater but knew nothing about it. i need to know it it smells when lit , if you can use it inside the house and where and how do you store kerosene? if you know any of these answers it would help. thanks sherrie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:20pm
There is a slight smell, if you have ever used a kerosine lamp, you will notice a slight smell, but not bad.
Yes, they are made for enclosed spaces, but always have a window cracked to allow fresh air to enter. This is the same with all heaters that use fire as the heat source.
Store kerosine, outside away from fire, or anything that might ignite the fumes. It's not as bad as gas, but don't take chances.
And buy a extra wick, small containers to fill heater with (a 5 gallon can is hard to use for this), something with a hose is better and a metal floor cover. The heater should come with one, but if not, the lid drom a 55 gallon drum works great.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 4:10pm
thanks, walmart had them on clearance yesterday but i wasn't sure about getting one. neither of us knew nothing about it.
BMW1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 5:23pm
  Sherrie, how are you?  How did things work out with your home?  I hope things went well for you.  I had to register under BMW.  I sure miss using Mississippi Mama. 
Mississipi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 6:22pm
Does kerosene go bad if left in a heater for five years?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:04pm
hi missmama, we are doing ok. i have not heard from the mortage company yet. we are packed up and trying to find another house but with the recent car repo it's hard. and now butch has to have surgery this month. good to hear from you hope you all are doing ok. i had wrote to you on the other site. i had to change my name several times on this site but one day i tried sherrie and it worked again, so you never know. thanks sherrie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:15pm
HC, I have never heard of kerosine going bad. I have heard of people testing what they had after 7 years, and it still burned just as good as day one.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 10:29pm
I'm thinking of getting the Big Buddy Heater that uses propane. Does anyone know how to safely store the propane tanks indoors?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 2:15pm

Thanks Mountain winds.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 4:44pm
Therese, if using 20 lb tanks, it will take a bit of engineering, but you can buy a rubber hose extension, up to 10 feet. Or use the hose and/or, copper tubing and fittings, and leave the tank outside, and run hose or tubing thru a window or other opening.
If the tank must be inside,still using the hose extension, leave the tank in another room and run hose to where the heater is.
If using the 1 lb bottles, just put them somewhere away away from a direct heat source.
Always check fittings on heater and other lines, with soapy water to check for leaks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:52pm
Thank you Mountainwinds!
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 12:23pm
I picked up a used Alladin radiant heater...7000 BTU output...cost me $15 and another $8 for a new wick. Today I stopped in Home Depot and they are selling Klean-Heat which is a kerosene substitute that is supposed to burn odor free and is safer than K-1. And I think its "synthetic" so it has a long shelf life. Sells for $10 a gallon and was on sale for $5 - nows the time to buy. They also have 5 gallons cans of K-1 for $19 which is a bargain too (1/2 price) but I'm nervous about whether it will go bad.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic