Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Flu in Los Angeles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flu in Los Angeles
    Posted: February 09 2006 at 11:25am

I couldn't find the date of this article, but it looks current.

http://www.dentalplans.com/Dental-Health-Articles/Flu-or-bir d-flu-.asp

It's officially flu season, causing bumper-to-bumper traffic at hospital emergency rooms around the country.

But in Los Angeles, reports that a large number of people complaining of influenza-like symptoms - fever, cough, sore throat, muscle aches - are swarming local emergency rooms, afraid that they have the bird flu.

The increased ER traffic has been so great that it has interfered with normal hospital operations. Some have been forced to temporarily close their doors to ambulance traffic.

Shutting out ambulances - and sending them to other, less-crowded hospitals instead - is not unheard of during the height of flu season, when throngs of sick people can make the services of any health facility woefully inadequate.

But it's never the preferred way of doing business. And in Los Angeles, health officials are urging those with flu-like symptoms to avoid the ER emergency and instead go to their family doctors.

Los Angeles County health officer Jonathan Fielding, M.D., M.P.H., sent a clear message to those seeking help.

"Emergency departments are very crowded this time of year," Fielding told the public, "and patients without life-threatening emergencies can expect long delays as patients with more severe illnesses or injuries are treated first."

Whether the emergency room onslaught in Los Angeles is being mirrored elsewhere in the country is unclear. However, some health authorities worry this year could be worse than previous years, as bird-flu reports from elsewhere in the world could cause people to panic.

The H5N1 strain of avian influenza, or bird flu, has killed scores of people across Southeast Asia over the last two years, and the disease is currently spreading across Europe.

Edited by Albert
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 11:43am

and instead go to their family doctors

takes us 2-3 weeks to see our doctors here they tell us to go emerg...

afraid that they have the bird flu.

how uneducated,but cautiuos

and fear will start a pandemic...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:16pm

www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

The link above is probably already viewed by many viewers on this board but  for those that need it - it shows by US state the status of common flu.

jlb3 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:19pm
A friend of mine visited Los Angeles at Christmas.  He said there were news reports of emergency rooms filled with flu patients.  It's just regular influenza
Tired View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:36pm
Early December the flu here in Phoenix was unreal! A local ER had to close it's doors! I spoke with my sons teacher when this all was going on and she said that she had 13 kids absent in one day...of course my son was one of the 13.

It was actually pretty scary to hear on the local news about the ER shutting down....kinda gave you a glimpse at what will happen with a PANDEMIC flu! The hospital's cant even handle a seasonal flu!

And that line about avoiding the hospital and going to your regular DR instead had me laughing! Good luck with that!!! Regular Dr's offices are not any better equipt to take on a surge of sick patients with the flu! I tried to see my Dr last month when I caught the flu...had to wait 4 days! I told them to forget it...I'd be better by then!

Better to be safe than sorry....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:39pm

as all of you know I live in northern Ontario Canada and we have not had the yearly flu bug yet..it has been to warm here in fact today the sun is shining away..i should wash my car..I have been on the highway alot and she is covered with salt...but tomorrow or the next day could bring the cold cold weather and them i get to spend hours in the hospital with my kids being sick...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:40pm
Flu or bird flu?

WASHINGTON DC (myDNA News)

To learn more visit myDNA's Influenza Center Read More

Tue 10 Jan 2006 07:00 AM CST

"It's officially flu season, causing bumper-to-bumper traffic at hospital
emergency rooms around the country."

http://www.mydna.com/health/flu/news/news_20060110_bird_flu_ or_flu.html

Edited by Rick
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:48pm

Thanks for keeping an eye open. Please continue looking for anything out of the ordinary. There are a number of outbreaks across the U.S. similar to what is happening in Britain (Infuenza B). It's probably nothing, but it would be good to know if this particular flu season is any different.

There are many journalists travelling to viral hot spots, they could just as easily be a vector for the disease as an African bird, and they travel a lot faster. Expect the unexpected. Thanks again.
mousey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mousey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 2:24pm

I've heard that at least 2 schools in Missouri have closed Thursday and Friday due to flu.  I'm guessing they believe everyone will have a little extra time over the weekend to recuperate.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic