Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Big Lots Foods Warning - Bugs in preps!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Lots Foods Warning - Bugs in preps!
    Posted: December 30 2006 at 4:16pm
Bought brown rice at Big Lots and it was infested with white worms.

Unfortunately before they appeared I was out of mylar bags so had put it and a bunch of bulk foods from winco temporarily in a plastic tub with an airtight lid until my new shipment of bags arrived.

Opened it back up after about 2 weeks (procrastinated), and the whole tub was crawling with white worm/grubs. It was totally disgusting.

So glad I didn't just stick the rice in my cupboards - ugh!

Be sure to freeze everything right away to kill eggs of any creepy crawlies!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 12:54am
      I'd also be watchful of treats from the Christmastree shop if you have one nearby. Over the Holiday, I bought several "Christmas tree log cakes" or yuletide log cakes, and AFTER I served them (THE NEXT DAY), we found MOLD in the middle -- looked like spider webs Some of the kids had already eaten it (I COULD HAVE DIED) Good God, not only was I horrified and embarrassed, I was SO FURIOUS!! Then I recalled buying cheese there which had expired. Really watch this supplier folks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 3:03pm
Here another no no

I kept minute rice and boxed pasta downstairs in basement.  The pasta is all moldy.  Keep anything that can get air in it our of basements.  I have a dehumitifier and still moldy pasta...

It was a hugh waste of my money. Cry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 4:09am
    What a SHAME, Happy. Have you tried those moisture busters which come in plastic tubs? Do you have a vacuum sealer? I've used it pretty successfully with rice. I've also sealed precooked rice and just popped it in boing water to heat (don't poke holes)--worked beautifully and no mess. I haven't thought about using it for pasta but will try that 2. Keep your chin up and try to feel fortunate for it as a learning experience. Atleast you found it before you really needed to rely on it in the face of having nothing else. Take care,
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 7:37am
Thankful  Im just storing food that can get moisture in them upstair in the closets.  I refuse to lose more food. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 9:31am
Rice pasta and beans fit well in mason jars to keep them dry.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 5:32pm
carol,

i use canning jars to store beans, pasta and rice. i wash them. i then bake them in the oven at about 200 degrees for about an hour. this way they will be dry when i put the food in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic