Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Home Protection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Gun questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gun questions
    Posted: May 08 2008 at 4:50am
A few years ago i bought a pile of South African .308 and it came in huge waterpfoofed ammo cans. They're about twice the size of those .50 cal ammo cans many people use. I store my ammo that didn't originally come in a can in those and I've got a nice dry spot in my attic to put it. My house is very old so I'm afraid to put it in my basement.

Most of my 7.62x39 came in spam cans that need a can opener to get into. Those are reasonably protective of the ammo inside so they'd probably be safe anywhere I put them. The other stuff I've got three of those mega tupperware bins that I put the regular boxed stuff in, sorted by caliber. I got my hands on a couple cans of dessicant and put that in a jar with holes poked in the lids to eat up the moisture.

For my grab and go right now, I've got ten loaded 30 rounders for my M4 in three M16 magazine holders, and a Beta "C" drum magazine that's got 100 rounds.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 6:12pm
Turboguy, how do you store your ammo?  I ran out of ammo cans and now I just store everything in the closet.  I guess I should buy a couple more large cans to store my recent purchase.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:00pm
You got a damn good deal!

I just picked up 3000 rounds of .308 for $600 yesterday from a guy at work that I dislike. He's gonna be ***sed when he figures out exactly what that ammo is worth.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 2:13am
I think I got a good deal!  2000 rounds of Wolf 7.62 for $300 and 840 rounds of that Sellier and Bellot 5.56 for $235.  All still in the box. 
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 2:21am

No store, just through a private sale.  I'm going to call the dude tomorrow and see if he still has it. 

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 7:04am
It's my favorite and I buy it every chance I get.

Mind letting me in on where you're seeing this advertized? I'll pick up a thousand of it too!

Most .223 is selling right around $250 - $350 per thousand. CDNN's got Federal for $350/1000. S&B was and still is my favorite. It's clean, extremely accurate, and seems to have the perfect powder for AR's. It's good stuff.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 7:49pm

Anybody shot Sellier and Bellot .223 ammo?  Tell me what ya think.  Is $300 for 1000 rounds an okay price?

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 8:08am
Actually it wasn't too bad. Reasonably accurate, reasonable cleanliness. My only complaint is the primer sealant, but that good for long term storage, so it's fairly moot.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 9:21am

Turboguy, have you shot any of that silver bear .223 yet?  I called AIM surplus yesterday and they were out of it, won't get any for a couple of weeks.  What do you think of it, is it clean to shoot?  I read some reviews of Wolf and a lot of people did not care for it in their M4's.  If you shot silver and like it I might try to get some.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 2:06pm
Yeah man, I buy from them quite a bit.

I just picked up 2000 rds of .223 Silver Bear from AIM Surplus today. 500/$112... This is the cheapest I've found it, and I really haven't seen ammo prices coming down, nor do I see them coming down anytime soon. At Ammunitionstore they just put the shipping costs into the price of their ammo.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:58pm
Turboguy, you gave out the ammoman.com web site a couple of weeks ago, have you bought on line from them before?  How do you rate them?  I was thinking on getting some Wolf .223 ammo for my m4, have you shot that thru yours and was it real dirty?  Ammoman definetly has some cheap 7.62 and I like the fact that they have free shipping
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 3:56am
Las Vegas is pretty liberal when it comes to owning firearms. Our new sheriff was my old Captian when I was briefly with LVMPD.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 7:07pm
Haha Tadeo, I know! I want one too now.

I think it's considered an SBR if you have a buttstock on it. Like those Glock kits that have the stock thingy but use the standard barrel are illegal SBR's unless they're registered with the BATFE.

If you live in a crappy jurisdiction I don't know if your local sherriff would sign off on your owning an SBR. Some of them are kind of finniky about it. If you live in a rural area and your Sherriff knows guns, he'll probably sign off on it.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 6:07pm
Turboguy, I would think that weapon would be considered a pistol and not a rifle. Either way I would pay the $200 ATF sticker. I like the fact that it folds up and you can place it in your back pocket. Way too cool!
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:59am
Cool gun, too bad it's got to be SBR's for anyone to own.

Hopefully a repercussion in case law of the decision the Supreme Court is making in reference to the Second Amendment, will strike down the SBR law. Wouldn't *THAT* be a treat?
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 4:48am
Got to have this flashlight.

copy and paste this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

diego View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 5:41pm
turbo, when i bought my high point, 1998 they only had the 9mm model. they will be coming out with the .45 cal. carbine anytime now i heard. after 10 years and thousands of rounds, not ONE malfunction, they have a lifetime warranty to boot. have plenty of .30-06 always coming in from buddies. like you , good on rimfire, federal bulk packs, cci stinger and quick-shock. at work their paying $1.70 per pound for cartridge brass. weigh out some .308 or .223 per pound , i buy it from them same price. i'll let you know about the lake city brass.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 7:29pm
Is your Hi-Point carbine the 9mm or the .40?

Diego, you might want to just keep the 30.06 for 30.06, unless you've got a good supplier. I've been getting it from CMP, but I think they're just down to the Greek stuff now. It shot okay out of my bolt action and Garand (Around 2MOA with the scope) but wasn't anything to write home over.

I've got so much rimfire I don't know what I'm going to do with it all! Back when it was $10.00/500 or so I bought a mess of 22LR's. I've only got a 10/22 (Bull barrel and nice scope), but anytime I take a female shooting that's her gun of choice when she see's me making smiley faces of 1inch targets at 50 yards. They are truly great weapons for getting girls into the shooting arts.

That's great that they're giving you their .223 brass for free! Is it all LC or FC headstamped too? I figured prisons would be using that nifty Hornady stuff out of those teflon non reloadable cases.
diego View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 2:27pm
one more thing, the reason i like the hi-point carbine and m-1 carbine, they use straight wall brass. in fact i still have the orignal 200 m-1 brass from 1989, loaded so many times ive lost count. their a little thin now but still good, hows that for case life.
diego View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 2:08pm
turbo, waiting for the next 55 gal. drum of once fired range brass (5.56 and 40 s&w) the prison guards bring in. if or when it happens, i'll see if i can help you out .22 cal. wise. if i shot .223 i would get the corbin jacket swaging die set to make bullets from rimfire brass, besides casting .22 cal bullets. the most essential brass i'm putting away now is .30-06 ,forming 8mm mauser, 7.65 ag. mauser, 7.7 jap and .308 win. from it. with the right know how, when the time comes, you can become chief of your village.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 8:15am
I've been snapping up a thousand or two of 7.62x39 every chance I get. The .223 I'm looking for good deals, but I think they've all nearly dried up. I'm not even looking for .308 anymore. It's worth it's weight in gold!

nearly 3000 7.62x39
1400 or so .223
2400 7.62x54 (Dragunov and Mosin)
I picked up a mess of Indian 308 when it was rediculously cheap. I didn't want to shoot it out of my M1A, but now you don't really have a choice! When I picked it up it was like $39.99/700 rounds on those crappy bandoleers and on stripper clips. Now I've seen those bandoleers being sold for more than $50.00 apiece! I guess they're reloadable too, so I'm going to hang on to them as long as I can.
diego View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 4:35am
i work for a metal recycler, clean number one copper is the new gold. move your buy more brass to the top of your essentials list. you have not seen anything yet.
Weeping Willow View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weeping Willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 8:47pm
if you do your own  reloading better buy your brass and such as prices are going up for metals.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 1:47am
Anyone stockpiling ammo for when the poop hits the pan?  And how much is enough?  Just did an inventory and found that I have a little over 6500 rounds combined for all my toys.  I think I have enough rounds for the handguns but maybe not enough .223 and 7.62.  I have three shotguns and only 250 shells.  Maybe I should get more?
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 7:45pm
Hey Fiction, those are pretty nifty, I must admit!

I bought a few of MagPul's new M16 magazines, and now I'm afraid that I have to not only recommend them highly, I'm probably going to buy ten more. They'll work flawlessly in your SU16, and even have a cool snap on/off dustcap that seals them up pretty good. They even work better than the original steel magazines.
FictionWriter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FictionWriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 4:48pm
Decided against the folding Henry in .22 caliber, and am going with the Kel-Tec folding .223. Why? Well it folds down to fit in a backpack. It has an integral bi-pod. The stock is hollowed out to fit 2 ten-round mags or 1 of either 20 or 30 round mags. Better yet, it uses standard m-16 mags, which are usually pretty cheap. And it's a good caliber for varmint hunting.

And since i had to limit my purchase to one gun, i figured this one as my best bet...Kel-Tec Su-16B
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 12:05pm
Thanks Diego and Turboguy! I have a XD-45 for home defense and I keep the mag fully loaded. I didn't even think about overcompressing the spring. I'm off to take one round out now!
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 11:29am
Tadeo, the newer magazines with the newer followers won't overcompress and fatigue the springs, like used to happen.

I guess you'd screw up your mag-spring if you kept it loaded for extreme amounts of time, I.E. a decade, but I too have had magazines loaded for years (My AR's/AK's/M14 included) and haven't experienced a problem... yet.

I have a healthy disagreement with some that claim that cycling magazines will fatigue your springs. Were that the case I would have experienced mag related stoppages with some of my AR magazines that I've loaded and unloaded/emptied literally a thousand times. I've owned some of them for more than fifteen years and they still work fine.

Tadeo a great way to royally mess up a magazine (especially an AR magazine) is to fully load it and then with it packed tight, stick it in your gun and leave it there for an extended time. That'll overcompress the magspring sure as taxes! Basically the bolt/slide pushes down on the stack of cartridges, which smashes the magspring onto itself unevenly. You'll get little kinks in the spring and it won't go all the way to the top strong enough to actuate the boltcatch.

In my duty sidearm I top off the magazines, and don't put one in the chamber unless it's a fresh one from the magazine. So if you're going to have a loaded magazine in your firearm drop off one round. That way you won't overcompress and your magazines will forever be happy!
diego View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 8:10pm
everything i ever read stated it's the loading and unloading that causes spring wear/fatigue.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 1:00pm
Anyone know if keeping the magazines loaded (specifically for my m4 and ak mags) for lengthy periods of time causes damage to the mags? I read somewhere that doing this can cause damage. I had several Glock mags loaded for several years and forgot about them and when I went to the range they worked fine. I would think that keeping the spring compressed for that long on any brand of mag would cause it to become weak thereby rendering it useless. I can't find anything on the internet addressing this.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 8:31pm
I personally say it is, but I will go with a rifle that's got the more modern upgrades in a lesser grade. The WWII rifles don't have the nifty upgrades that made the later incarnations (Korea, early vietnam, etc) far more reliable and accurate, though they are historic.

If you were to buy a Garand, make SURE you buy the Korea ones. Their upgrades made them more safe as during WWII op rods were known to sometimes snap and injure the shooter.

The real difference is that one grade is just going to show less usage than the other or have different serial numbers on the parts. Realistically there isn't much difference.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FictionWriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 7:56pm

CMP looks like the way to go for me. Could someone explain in not so technical terms the differences between RACK and SERVICE grade? Price point between the two isn't bad, but i want to know if the cost difference is worth the extra or not?

diego View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 5:39pm
fictionwriter, warning, you might catch m-1 carbineitis. turbo's right go with CMP. if you handload you can get that $25.00 a box factory ammo down to less than $3.00 with cast bullets. a buddie just called, scored me 1000 once fired brass for free, made my night.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FictionWriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 11:59pm
Yeah, i figured the price was outrageous but I hadn't found anything less expensive. Thanks for the link, BTW.

I've seen and used a 10/22. As far as rifles go, it's pretty nice. I found the Henry attractive caue I could break it down and stow it in my pack, and like i said, i'm better with a rifle. My hands shake sometimes, and it makes holding a pistol steady a real challenge.
I have other rifles for large game, but i'd really hate to use a 308 on a rabbit...wanting the smaller caliber and inexpensive ammo option for small game animals, like rabbit, squirrel, etc.

Was looking at the 12 gauge more for home defense than anything else, though it might also be used a bit for quail or dove.
Thanks for the advice.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 6:44am
Fiction, The Ruger 10/22 is a rifle, is very compact, and is exactly in the price range you're talking about. The parts are ubiqutious and most of the time the 10/22 is rediculously accurate. I've got a 16 inch heavy barrel on mine with a scope that's designed for an AR15. At 50 yards I make happy faces on two inch diameter targets. Anything more than that and wind kind of screws up my smiley. I think you've got my recommendation confused with the Ruger Mk4.

You're a beter shot with a rifle because rifles are inherently more accurate than pistols. The sight radius is three to four times as long, they're far more steady, and usually two or three times as powerful even when in the same chambering as a pistol.

Follow the link I gave you for the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) the guy is screwing you on that price for that M1 Carbine. I bought one for $565.00 from CMP. If you're a member of a shooting club, military/ex-military, VFW, American Legion, or police officer you can buy direct from CMP, and they'll ship it to your house. No FFL necessary.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FictionWriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 5:04am
Don't have the 10/22. Was looking for something in a compact 22, which is what attracted me to the Henry AR-7, I tend to be a better shot with a rifle than a pistol.

I was under the impression that most dealers would either be at or below MSRP...Henry MSRP on that gun is about $225. Local dealer wants $300 for it. They want at least $200 abover MSRP on the mossberg and the M1 is over $1k.

I am shopping around though....anyone care to tell me what they've seen the guns go for? Trying to figure out what I should expect to pay plus/minus $100
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 7:00am
Fiction: http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm

As for your AR-7, only if you don't already have a Ruger 10-22. Though I hate Ruger and will never buy anything from that company due to their Second Amendment treason back in the 1990's, I do recognize that Ruger's 10-22 offering is a fantastic little .22LR, but only because of all teh aftermarket parts that various companies offer. You can get a 10-22, five or ten fifty round magazines, and 10,000 rounds of .22 on the cheap. You're probably not going to grab your 10-22 as your first choice for home defense, but it can get you a nice meal in a pinch if the situation warranted, and I suppose could be used as a defense weapon backing up someone with a larger weapon.

Any Mossburg or Remington pumpgun will serve you faithfully as long as you keep them maintained. Both are fantastic deals, and you really are getting far more gun for the money you spend on these shotguns. My dad's had an 870 for nearly forty years and it's still kicking.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 12:41am
Big 5 sporting goods has that carbine for $999. 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FictionWriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 11:23pm
Hey all, I'm wanting to add a rifle or shotgun, still not sure of which. Looking at 3 models, and wanting opinions, if ya please.
Henry Rifle AR-7, for camping/backpacking, and to keep in the truck on the long road trips...
Mossberg, maybe the 590 Special Purpose 9-shot or the Persuader 8-shot.

Finally, i have an opportuity to buy an M1A1 .30 carbine. I've looked over the rifle and it is in very good condition. Anyone know what they're going for these days?
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 3:24am
found this article on Stevequayle.com.  Rifle Skills (part 1)
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 3:47am
okay, so it's the double A one that cost more.  It makes more sense to have that one instead due to battery availability.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 2:07pm
There's four or five models. The ones that use the AA cells are typically $50 more expensive, but they're the only way I go. I can get AA batteries just about anywhere, I have no idea where you're going to get those CR2015 cells (Or whatever they take) Only get the Nightvision one if you have a level IV or better nightvision device, otherwise it's a waste. You can put it down at the lowest setting and it's perfect for the older generations nightvision.

Bachmann Pawn and Gun can be contacted through the phone. You just call them, tell them you want to order whatever rifle you desire and tell them where you want it sent (An FFL). It's usually a good idea to talk to your FFL dealer prior to ordering to see if they'll do a transfer. If they charge $25 or close per transfer with no markup, go for it and toss him/her a $20 or $50 tip for their trouble. If they won't do it, or charge you ten or twenty percent, well... I wouldn't personally do business with them unless there was nowhere else to go. Anyway, I am the same way you are, I don't order stuff over the internet, I want to talk to a person. I make my order and get the weapon sent to the FFL dealer I know. He does the form 4473 NICS check, and the gun is mine. I toss him a $50 and say bye.

Don't order stuff over the internet or by mail. If they don't have a phone number, don't buy from them.

Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 5:26am

I thumb through Shotgun news when at Walmart.  I'll check ou their ad next time I'm there.  I am some what wary of doing out of state gun sales via mail or web.  However I did google Bachmann pawn and gun and found them to be in Dallas, TX.  On their web site they had the Gerand m1 for $1100 but not the m1a.   Speaking of the Gerand, Big 5 had a sale a couple of years ago in which they sold the Gerand for $499.  I kick myself for not getting one then.

Aimpoint is rather expensive.  I can't imagine myself spending more on an Aimpoint than what I spent on my Bushmaster.   I also like the EOTech, but which one?  The less expensive one uses double A batteries and the other one uses the lithium batteries but the expensive one can also be used with night vision equipment (i believe).  Is it worth the $100 bucks more?
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 2:18pm
I am a *HUGE* fan of the EOTech. I used the Aimpoint when I first got into Warrants because some of the other officers said it was what they used during their Ranger days. I fugured if it's good enough for that, it's good enough for me.

Then I tried the EOTech and haven't gone back, nor will I, even if Aimpoint sponsored me! The EOTech is just about unbeatable. The huge field of view and smaller pinpoint just works better than the Aimpoint, in my opinion of course.

Tadeo, do you get Shotgun News? There's an ad in there from Bachmann pawn and gun. They're a dealer out in Texas that sells new M1A's for right around $1000... I think they're in Texas. Anyway, you can get your rifle shipped to your local FFL and get it transferred. (following all local laws regarding ownership of a battle rifle)

You're not going to need optics on your M1A. They're one of the most accurate battle rifles, thanks to that extremely long sight radius. Two inch groups at 200 yards in the prone unsupported position are commonplace at the range I shoot at.
Tadeo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 4:48am
The SOCUM II just looks too cool.  You are right, the standard m1a is the way to go.  However, after looking at the price ($1500) plus optics ($???) i may wait til Christmas.  But the m1a is definitely my next gun..no..I meant her gun. 
Question:  What's everyones opinion for optics for the M4? I personally like the Eotech and the price is just about right at $400.  I want to try to stay below that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic