Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

cast iron cookware questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cast iron cookware questions
    Posted: February 11 2006 at 6:31pm

I know almost nothing about cast iron cookware.    What makes it so good for use in bad times?  What is the purpose of seasoning it?  How often does it need to be seasoned?  And how do you clean it? 

I have yet to get any cast iron cookware.   I suspect that I should have some.

Any input would be greatly appreciated on my end.

Woffman 

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 6:41pm
Try to get preseasoned cast iron. Best cookware known to man is Lodge cookware. Seasoned means USED, blacked with grease, inside and out. Coat it with lard, cook the iron on 200 for hours. Do it again raise temp to 300, keep doing this till, you get it blacked and slick to the touch.

You can cook in it, wipe it out, put a bit of grease in it, and cook again.

No crappy stuff to peel off like, what is the stuff, the no stick junk, teflon thats it, kept wanting to type velcro.

We have some well over 100 years old. Use it all the time.

NEVER PUT IN DISHWASHER! WILL RUIN IT!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 6:43pm
Use a good, seasoned cast iron skillet and you'll never want one of those lightweight aluminum jobs again. They heat very evenly, and frankly, I think the food tastes better cooked in cast iron.

Seasoning essentially makes it non-stick. Also keeps it from rusting.  Takes some getting used to, never using detergent on your skillet (removes the seasoning), but I've never had a problem.  Generally, you just wipe them clean, then rinse. I usually dab a bit of crisco in mine after washing, and wipe the cooking surface with a paper towel.  Sometimes a single edged razor blade or a brillo pad is needed to remove burnt on food.

Generally, you only have to season it once before you use it. If you clean one with detergent, you may have to reseason it.

The only down side is, they are heavy.  I've developed carpel tunnel syndrome and have to be very careful handling one.

CountryGirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 7:06pm

Woffman,

You can use cast iron when cooking over an outside fire or on a stove. The dutch oven is great because you can cover it with hot coals and bake. It's very versatile.

Country Girl
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 10:01pm
The cast iron pan can be easy to clean with very little water or none Paper towel oil and salt is how Ive cleaned mine for years that way  You can use these on top of a wood  stove on the barbeque or just camping. You need to keep them with a little oil(on them )this is the old way straight out of the  mining camps.  
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 11:41am
I cant find any good cast iron around here. I have a couple of pieces from my grandmother and the stuff Ive seen doesnt even compare. So TN you recomend Lodge, where can I get it and does anyone have any other brands they recomned
Wraith View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wraith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 1:40pm
Jane, check out thrift stores, junk stores, ebay, any place that sells used stuff. My step dad owns a junk shop and he gets good, seasoned cast iron weekly and sells them for less than $10. Griswold is the best cast iron ever made and wagner is a pretty close second. There is nothing made today that even comes close except maybe for lodge, which is made in the US, everything else is foreign garbage. Dennis
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Voltaire

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action"
Einstein
chefmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 2:10pm
I have bought Wagner sast iron skillet on ebay for $7 and shipping was pretty cheap too. Try yard sales and don't over look a piece of nasty looking griswol that is rusty and such. Steel wool removes it and you can reseason it. Cast iron is very forgiving in my experience. My husband brought home a muffin pan that looked like a big piece of rust and now it is shiny black and perfectly seasoned. It is also true that once you cook in a cast iron skillet you'll never want to cook in anything else
May God protect us all.       
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 3:11pm
No doubt Lodge is the best, I think wally world has it, cracker barrel does I know.

We have some been in family for a hundred years, cooked on it today. And will tommorrow.

Look up national cornbread festival, should have links to Lodge.
swifty View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 3:28pm
Yes Wally World does carry Lodge. Just picked up a :combo cooker" today. Pre-seasoned and ready to go.  I had a brain fart years ago and actually got rid of my awesome Wagner fry pan. Never will understand what I was thinking!
Kumera Kid View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumera Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 4:51pm
Have cooked on it regularly for years over an open fire. Never bought a dud brand as long as it was cast iron. Different story with cast aluminium. What ever you do dont use soap or detugent when cleaning it. I use hot water and wipe it out with paper towels. The more you use them the easier they become to clean
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic