Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Prepping for June 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prepping for June 2007
    Posted: June 06 2007 at 6:26am
Just curious what people are doing.

We are buying more nonperishable and household items now. Am going to wait to take in more food supplies til near the end of summer.

Am still concerned about having enough pet supplies as well.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 6:47am
We have been pretty much ready for a while now. We do have a small last minute list for when it starts.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 8:35am
I have been buying bulk ends and pieces of bacon. It's usually sold per 3lb bulk. I use the bacon drippings on the dog food, after the can dog food problems, plus it helps their coat. I freeze the bacon pieces to use in the future for cooking, etc.
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 9:29am

Im putting away laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent. Can always use this later of if you run out. It is nice to have extras esp during the long winters.

I put away some dog food unfortunately some was recalled brands of pet products. Am probably going to throw it out. We have livestock also and it is hard to keep up with their needs. They are field grazing and am concerned about them being in contact with birds ie., h5n1 or west nile. I have seen a mild conjunctivitis already. We do keep antibiotics on hand for them as well. Toward the end of summer we will stock up on their hay feed and bedding.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 9:36am
Sounds good! We raise rabbits and chickens. Also have a garden. We used to have goats for the milk. Keep Prepping!
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 10:43am
Whenever I go to the grocery store, I always buy one item for tucking away.

This month I hope to add some first aid items I don't have. Burn cream and toothache remedies.
"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 11:48am
We're sitting on ready. We have extra over-the-counter medicines and three months prescription medicines. About six months plus of food for four adults and four children. The two dogs and two cats have three months of food. We are blessed to have wild hogs ( I can't believe I said that) which we can shoot and feed the animals and us if need be. We also have cattle. This year the rains came after four years drought so hay will be cheaper and we have lots of natural grasses. I continue to buy extra toilet paper, laundry soap, bar soap, rice, and beans. I try to keep up on rotating. I did buy some Wal-Mart white solar lights ($15) yesterday, they are great to read with when the power goes out.

BMW1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 7:09pm
Hi Coyte, I was thinking about getting some rabbits and chickens.  Do you need to keep any kind of medicines on hand for the chicken and rabbits.  If so what would you suggest.  Thanks
Mississipi Mama
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 7:55pm
Picked up a bunch of free shelving and organizing supplies. Bought a small freezer off of craigslist to use to extend food's shelf life, kill bugs, and take advantage of specials.     
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 8:26pm
I just double checked dates and brought up food from basement to use up and ready for another large shopping trip. I wish they had bigger shopping carts at the one store I like and in addition to the small carts there is no bottom to them. It's a real pain but everything is so inexpensive it's why I go there:O)
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 3:23am
Hi BMW1! Their isn't really any need to keep med's. for rabbits and chickens. The main thing is to keep everything clean. Fresh water everyday for them.Put a lot of wood shavings in the chicken coup and clean out and put fresh shavings in twice a year. For rabbits use half inch wire fencing on bottom so coupes stay clean. Good Luck!
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 6:49am
   I am getting ready now to top off on all essential supplys. Food, water, meds, you know all the stuff we mention that we must have in order to survive.
   I have noticed while bringing a friend to a food pantry to get food for their family they are having some diffucult times. That they actually are giving more than they usually do. Well I told my friend to stock pile what they get extra.
   I have decided that I need more masks.
My husband has started a garden in our backyard. Will be putting alot of it in freezer.
Family Dollar stores or your local dollar store you should look for :
Aspirins
diahrea meds
decongestants
hand santizers
they got good prices for them there.
Costco stores look for bulk :
Rice
Flour
Beans
Water
First Aid needs
Buying in bulk saves money

PrepGirl
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 7:09am
Good for you guys! Sounds like your right on the ball! Better safe than sorry!
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:13am
Originally posted by coyote coyote wrote:

Hi BMW1! Their isn't really any need to keep med's. for rabbits and chickens. The main thing is to keep everything clean. Fresh water everyday for them.Put a lot of wood shavings in the chicken coup and clean out and put fresh shavings in twice a year. For rabbits use half inch wire fencing on bottom so coupes stay clean. Good Luck!

How do you keep the rabbits from digging out?
"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:16am
Originally posted by BMW1 BMW1 wrote:

Hi Coyte, I was thinking about getting some rabbits and chickens.  Do you need to keep any kind of medicines on hand for the chicken and rabbits.  If so what would you suggest.  Thanks

Just a quick note. I read rabbits overheat pretty easy, so you might want to consider some access to shade.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:21am
Each rabbit has their own coupe which is approx. 3X3X3 and a roof to keep them dry. 1" chicken wire is used for sides. They cant dig out this way.
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:26am
Do you like bury the wire or dig a trench and then place the wire in said trench and cover with removed dirt?  Smile What is to keep the little rascals from digging under the 3x3x3? 
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:40am
Hi Setag. The rabbits are in the 3x3x3 coupes. They are not able to dig through the wire. These are above ground coupes with a nesting box inside each one.
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:49am
OH!!  I thought you just had wire around them.........LOL

Do you let them out for exercise??
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 8:53am
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 9:14am
us city folks have a lot to learn! 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 1:15pm
Today I bought 27 more pounds of cat food and another case of bottled water.  Also for cheap preps, alot of grocery stores now have $1.00 sections, I never really looked before because just in passing it looks like alot of junk. I decided to take a look and I found in our grocery store $1.00 area last week, anti-itch cream (same ingredients and strength as Benadryl in a tube) and antibiotic first aid ointment, generic Tylenol 24 ct., aspirin, generic peptobismal, basically a whole lot of over the counter meds for cheap. I already had alot of cold items stocked up and I only bought 2 each of the anibiotic cream and anti-itch cream, I wanted to try them, they work just the same, so will go back and get more.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2007 at 6:43am
That is great stuff to have around.

No problem, RE

Dont really understand what you are talking about but I know you do.

Have a great day

Smile
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:08pm
I'm quite behind in what we need. My daughter and I finish college this week, I have had 3 months of exams, which has rendered our home too looking like a crime scene, there is dust and paper work scattered everywhere and books piled up on floors next to my bed and on the couch. Come weekend my steam cleaner is being brought out of the cupboard and every where is going to get cleaned to an inch of it life [the cat better run quick, she hates the sound of it]. I am also going to inventory the store cupboards anything with a 2010 expirary date I am going to move to a storage cupboard upstairs. Write a detailed check list and then do some internet ordering from Tescos, I know I need water, cat litter and cat food, and some over the counter meds. Also Deodrants, plan to bring things up to speed over the next couple of weeks. I hate being so disorganised. Whilst I am clearing up I may as well as do some decluttering, I will take what we don't need to the local charity shop, plus it will make room for more preps, at this moment in time I am quite envious of people with basements/cellers and garages all that extra room to store things; it must be heaven.
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 5:38pm
    Ro2935,

I think if you look in general discussions in this forum. The folks here got some good ideas on prepping.
I think you got time to get caught up. You may need to just shop a few more time each week than you usually do.
But you will be fine. I am happy you are prepping.
Congradulations another prepared citizen joins us to fight bf. Good luck in your prepping.
If you got a extra room with a closet just put all your preps in there. You could convert the closet with one of those portable shelfing systems they sell. And make shelfs to hold all you supplies.
Under the bed totes are a good way to utilize space.
And if you got a space where you can put up one of those
work bench metal shelfing systems you can put totes on each shelf almost like drawers. Label each tote. And you good as gold to fine what you need in a hurry. Not to mention if you needed to leave in a hurry. You just grab the totes.

PrepGirl
bluebird View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 3:45pm
Hey, I'm new to this forum and am looking for any information I can get my hands on. I found a great list of things to stock up on and can't seem to find it again so I can print it. Does anyone have any info on that? Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 4:08pm

We are getting fuel for winter... now.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 6:33pm
Started stocking up on canning supplies.
Buying more seeds.
Turning the compost pile.
Working on the canned goods- getting those bought up.
Bought a GPS last week (does anyone know if GPS systems will work if the grid goes down?)
Came across some relatively cheap honey.
Tons of canned meat! (All seafood- can't grow the huevos to buy any of that spam stuff)
Looking into another...yes...another gun.
Put an ad in the paper for broken silver and gold
Pondering the idea of adopting two big dogs. Also thinking hard about a chicken or two for eggs, which we will desparately need during the upcoming pandemic event. I know that once this crap spreads h2h2h2h2h2...birds won't be what we have to worry about.
Lots of lighters and matches.
Can't find any firewood right now- but, I'm looking
Got a lot left to do. My sense of urgency has increased. I never felt urgent before.
It seems the consensus all over the place (and I'm not just talking about Flublogia) is that something's on the horizon. I don't like the vibe I've been getting from people lately. Maybe it's me- but, my intuition has never failed me.
Need candles- keep forgetting about the candles.
BMW1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 6:54pm
  Hi Floriduhgirl, I also continue to add to my preps.   The broken silver and gold that you want to buy,are these what you call damaged pieces.  It's a wonderful idea.  How do you determine how much you are willing to pay for the broken silver and gold?  Are you just running an ad in your local paper?  I would like to do this too.  Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Mississipi Mama
Wunjo Wagon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wunjo Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:12pm
I guess I have been slacking of late, I go to the grocery store once a week, and every week I buy at least, 1 can of Spam, 2 1lb cans of pinto beans, and 1 box of minute rice.  Total cost around $9.00, this equals a 1 week supply of food for an adult with a pretty balanced calorie/fat/carbohydrate/enzyme complete diet, add some tobasco and I'm good to go...

Joy to the world...!
tammy View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 4:36am
I have also started prepping that little bit more and just 'Feeling Bad' I'm checking sites more often( which is how I found out about this site about a week ago) I also ,about 10 mins ago sent an email to ALL my contacts saying along the lines of 'For those who know me well you might know about my 'little' obsession with the current strain of bird flu, H5N1 which I believe could well mutate into the pandemic human flu that the world is overdue...' I sent them details of a few sites they might want to investigate ...and ended with' you might all think I'm completely off my rocker or want to have me sectioned, and never speak to me again, but for those of you who are interested particularly those in the medical profession or with contacts, I'd be interested to hear your views.   
      So now I've come completely out of the closet and hope eveyone is still talking to me later today. And I have never done anything like that before. Gut instinct tells me something is brewing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 6:02am
Bought a GPS last week (does anyone know if GPS systems will work if the grid goes down?)

GPS is from satellites in orbit - these will work for a long time. 
The ground stations control their orbits and functions so over time they will gradually fail one by one.

- there are 36 (I Think) and you need 3 to get a position fix but the more you receive the greater the accuracy.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 6:40am
Originally posted by BMW1 BMW1 wrote:

Hi Floriduhgirl, I also continue to add to my preps.   The broken silver and gold that you want to buy,are these what you call damaged pieces.  It's a wonderful idea.  How do you determine how much you are willing to pay for the broken silver and gold?  Are you just running an ad in your local paper?  I would like to do this too.  Thanks for any help that you can give me.

I haggle. Most of these people are looking to make a quick buck, so I haggle them down real low. I get out my scale- check the stuff to make sure it's real...and then I lowball them until we come to an agreement. :D
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2007 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Web Ferret Web Ferret wrote:

GPS is from satellites in orbit - these will work for a long time. 
The ground stations control their orbits and functions so over time they will gradually fail one by one.

- there are 36 (I Think) and you need 3 to get a position fix but the more you receive the greater the accuracy.

Thank you- that was what I was thinking, myself. And, I didn't want to ask the guy at Best Buy...because those kinds of questions get you drawn and quartered. Most people couldn't imagine the grid going down...so...I'm sure they'd report me to the authorities...like I'm some sort of terrorist.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 6:58am
I found the last paragraphy of this article important. Even those who don't have extra money to buy gold bouline, you may find your recycled gallon milk jug filled with rice or pinto beans being more precious than gold.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007
GOLD as Catastrophic Insurance?

Over the weekend Moneytalk radio host Bob Brinker chastised a caller for wanting to devote some percentage (in the area of 10%-20%) of his asset holdings to gold. The caller reasoned that in the case of some globally catastrophic event (major flu pandemic, largescale nuclear war, a big meteor hitting the planet) which sent international markets plummeting, gold represents the best stability of value guarantee. Even though T-notes and most bank investments are backed by the US Treasury, the infrastructure might not be there to deliver the cash, which in any case would probably be of little value due to astronomical inflation.

Brinker doesn't like commodity investments period, as the investment advice he dispenses is consistently targeted at the valuation of assets at retirement. And in terms of realizing a competitive return over some extended period of time, gold is really the bottom of the barrel, worth about the same today as it was worth in 1980. Brinker, in rejecting the caller's suggestion, agreed that gold is a bulwark against major losses during a recession, but so are treasuries, especially I-bonds which offer protection against inflation. Better to hold those, as they will continue to modestly gain value during much more frequent periods of economic growth.

It seems to me the two were talking past one another. Gold serves as an economic anchor, performing well during downturns. After the tech bubble burst earlier in the decade, gold rose steadily until the beginning of '06, and has since inched back downwards, suggesting the economic slump is fully behind us. Similarly, it spiked in the late seventies and early eighties during a period of high inflation. During the recession of '87, it also shot upwards, reaching a highmark that it wouldn't return to for more than a decade. Although comparisons over several centuries are confounded by new deposit discoveries (potentially altering the price of gold significantly without respect to other economic indicators), gold reached its zenith just as Columbus was sailing westward, presaging the era of the most explosive economic growth in the history of modern man.

This in contrast to I-bonds, which merely hold their value during recessions (but don't hemorrhage value during periods of economic growth or dollar strengthening).

The caller wanted absolute assurance, period, while Brinker wanted absolute assurance assuming the US federal government continued to exist as it does today. In his antagonism toward commodities, Brinker refused to give his approval, which was all the caller had sought after in the first place.

Brinker should've delved into the caller's plans more deeply, instead of rejecting him out-of-hand. If the goal is to find a guarantor of economic value given the most catastrophic of circumstances, how is he holding the gold? If he's using a company like Kitco, is he planning on using a pool account, storing with a global bank like HSBC, or keeping the bullion at his own residency? Only the latter would make sense, given an infrastructure meltdown.

Has he considered what might be superior even to bullion in the basement?
Like ten pound cans, jugs of water, knives, firearms, a maintained garden, gasoline and kerosene reserves on-hand,
a bike with durable tires,
residency outside of metro conurbation and preferably even outside of the suburbs,
proximity to a stocked body of water, fishing equipment, keeping in good shape, and the like?
If a disastrous return to the primordial state came upon our world,
these concerns easily trump what sort of currency stores he has in storage.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic