Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What’s in your Medicine Cabinet Preps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s in your Medicine Cabinet Preps?
    Posted: June 10 2007 at 11:28pm
The time period for this exercise is ninety-days.
Using a reference family of four: two adults and two children.

What should we have in our medicine cabinet, medical shelves, and how much?

Here's 25 items that I have.
I will list more items later.

1) I believe everyone who uses daily prescription medicines should have a minimum of 90-days stored in the event of a pandemic.

2) Rubbing Alcohol-six large bottles

3) Epsom Salt - 1 large carton

4) Bandaids - four boxes (20 each box) for cuts, scrapes, etc.

5) Two unopened Benadryl - 50 mg [Antihistamine]

6) Thermometer - oral and rear - one each

7) Blood Pressure Cuff - device - one per adult

8) Cough drops - four bags of 25

9) Straws - 500

10) Toothpaste - six tubes & six brushes

11) Mouthwash - three large bottles

12) Shampoo - six bottle & six cream rinse bottles

13) Soap bars - 24 or more, remember you'll be bathing and washing your hands often, especially if you have a sick family member. That's just two bars a week.

14) Hydrogen Peroxide - two large bottles

15) Imodium - three boxes

16) Mucinex - three boxes

17) Pedialyte - three bottles (learn how to make)

18) Medicated Chest Rubs - three boxes

19) NyQuil Cold & Flu - three bottles

20) Ting or other athletes foot treatment - you may be walking more than usual.

21) Ace Bandages - three

22) Crutches - one set (found mine at the thrift store)

23) Gloves - be sure you're not allergic to them

24) Mask - N-95 or better - 3/day x 90 = 270

25) Goggles - Coughing patients, protect yourself

What's in your Medicine Cabinet Preps?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 6:57am
Annie, Get a couple tubes of bacitracin and one or two anti fungal creams.

Without good medical services, a staph infection could very likely kill you. A fungal infection would be a nuisance for years if untreated. Particularly a couple of those yeast infection treatments for the ladies would be a life saver.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 1:02pm
Ok, here's what I have:

6 bottles alcohol
6 bottles peroxide
10 boxes bandaids
4 boxes guaze pads
2 rolls medical tape
1 stethoscope
1 blood pressure cuff
1 glucose monitering machine
6 bottles Benadryl (generic)
10 bottles cough syrup
4 pkgs. Alkaselzer
2 pkgs. maalox
2 pkgs. PeptoBismal
2 tubes antibiotic ointment (need more)
4 tubes Cortizone
2 tubes fungal (athletes foot/jock itch)
2 tube Benadryl cream
lots of Ibuprofen, Tylenol
50 bars soap
10 bottles hand sanitzer
10 pkgs. baby wipes
yeast infection medication
5 albuterol inhalers
nebulizer
box of inhalation albuterol
steroid nasal spray
crutches
ace bandages
wrist imobilizer
walking cast/ankle
20 bottles shampoo
10 tubes toothpaste
20 deodorants (10 mens 10 womens)
20 bottles lotion
10 bottles body wash
10 pkgs sanitary pads
N-95 masks
latex surgical gloves
2 pkgs anti-diarhea meds (need more)
20 bags cough drops
3 months supply of prescrition meds
2 bottles head lice treatment
3 month supply of birth controll pills
condoms
eye drops
saline nasal spray
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 2:08pm
Thanks Turboguy1, I do have a couple tubes of bacitracin and one or two anti fungal creams. 22 years in the military I always make sure our families feet are in good shape. You're right, staph is deadly.

Love ya Penham, I was having trouble sleeping and hoping someone like you who might have a list would post one. There are so many newbies and old heads that can benefit from organizing and inventorying stored products (preps). Great list. Thank you.
tammy View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 3:26am
I'm new today ,and so glad to have found your site. Other medicine/pharmacy preps we have :dental floss or tape or toothpicks. And this might sound gross but having a couple of small kids...head-louse treatment, threadworm treatment and calamine lotion or similar. What if( God forbid )you hunker down and horror of horrors your little ones have brought some little visitors too! calamine lotion in case of chicken pox or similar.I won't use brand names cos I'm from U.K. and things are bound to be different.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 5:44am
Hi Tammy, welcome to the forum! Yes, head lice treatment is an excellent idea, I have a coupe of bottles, but forgot to list it, I will add it in there though. I had the same thought you did since I have a child too. I didn't think about Calamine lotion though, that will be a good addition to my list. Thanks for the idea!
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 3:26pm
re: Lice. I have kids but they never had lice. Couldn't I just shave their heads? I'm thinking then the eggs don't have anywhere to hang on to. Is that right? Their hair grows so fast anyway. I'd shave my head if there was a shortage of water/shampoo...I'm looking for an excuse to do it now...lol...hubby doesn't like the idea. It would save me money on hair color/haircuts and shampoo
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:02pm

Head ice shampoo, I did not have....THANK YOU and welcome Tammy.

I don't koow about that answer MelodyATHome, you're an adult, I think you could also catch the lice in the pubic area. I've just always heard to use the shampoo. We haven't had that problem,........yet????

Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:11pm
So my question is....  if we are in isolation and not catching the avian flu, we won't catch any of those other colds & viruses, right?  I mean, who would we catch them from?  Of course we need all of the tooth paste/soap/shampoo things.  And there will always be accidents, so we'll need bandages.   And just the thought of being stuck in the house gives me a headache - so Advil or something.  But how much cold medicine do we really need?  Is Nyquil going to touch AF?   
flowerchild View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 4:00am
If you bought any medicines from the dollar store, I strongly suggest you try them out. I found the "tylenol" works fine, but the benadryl didn't work at all. I am trying the rest, so I can replace what doesn't work.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 6:31am
That generic Mucinex from Walgreens is just about worthless.

Gexy. Sure we'll all be in isolation, or as best we can be, but depending on how long a catastrophe lasts, well, none of us have a year or more in preps. We'll eventually come in contact with other people, whether we want to or not.

I guess it really depends on the disaster, i.e. Disease vs terrorism, asteroid, Nuclear weapon, major economic/oil crash, zombies etc. If it's a Pandemic I'm going to try to remain in isolation for as long as I can. If it's something more along the lines of a major economic/oil crash it won't be quite as imperative that you remain isolated. Actually if there's a major economic/oil crash it might knock the possibility of a pandemic down very low as people won't be flying anywhere.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 6:44am
ZOMBIES
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 6:06am
When you are looking at generic meds I always look at the ACTIVE ingredients of the generic and the name brand that I know works. I know Dollar General (not a dollar store) carries the generic Benedryl labled as childrens allergy medication in the liquid and it has the exact same ingredients as Benadryl and works well (I use it for allergies) but it is only $2.00 a bottle versus the $5 dollar price range of Benedryl. Just make sure it has the same amount of active ingredient as what you normally take in the name brand, the inert ingredients is ok to be a little different, that would just be the flavor or color or type sugar used or something like that which won't effect how the meds work.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Gexydaf Gexydaf wrote:

So my question is....  if we are in isolation and not catching the avian flu, we won't catch any of those other colds & viruses, right?  I mean, who would we catch them from?  Of course we need all of the tooth paste/soap/shampoo things.  And there will always be accidents, so we'll need bandages.   And just the thought of being stuck in the house gives me a headache - so Advil or something.  But how much cold medicine do we really need?  Is Nyquil going to touch AF?   

Well, I can think of a few things you could get without being exposed to someone else. A sinus infection which if gets worse could turn into bronchitis or pneumonia, cold meds could help the symptoms. A yeast infection. Anyone have allergies? If you are in the house long enough and there is a shortage of water to clean with the house might get dustier causing allergies, sneezing, coughing, runny nose. What if you eat something that doesn't agree with you you could have diarrhea and vomiting, we try to make sure all our food is cooked safely, but IF there is a lack of water for cleaning and washing hands we could expose ourselves to something just by not being able to be as clean as we normally are, like food poisoning, e coli, something to that effect. Those are just a few things right off hand I can think of.  Better just to be prepared for as much as we can!
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 4:03pm
I have about the same + dental kit (CVS),spare set of eye glasses w/update script.,ace bandages to wrap a sprain, 1st Aid book, educating myself on holistic meds that are a delight to learn....Aloe plants can be used for upset stomach if you scrape the inside, add water and
drink (from a Cherokee medicine woman) we will have upset stomach...I would advise some backup info on any of these holistic meds. But we could start growing so many "pretty" plants that are healthly.
Pat
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 2:45pm
    Well, I got a much needed medical prep today - burn spray. It was cheaper than the gel but I'm going to get that too. I'm considering getting splints in case I deal with broken bones. CPR/First Aid taught me how to make a quick splint but not how to set a bone. I'm not sure but maybe only a doctor can set a bone. I went to walgreens - I went down to Broadway for a movie at Blockbuster (got it too) then went into walgreens across the street. They didn't have any actual med kits today in there, Bartells is the best place for med kits. As you know, I buy separately rather than buy a conventional med kit (I have a six dollar one) After the primary supplies of the med kit are exhausted, like gloves, painkillers and medicated bandaids, it becomes an expensive bandaid case. The kits with just one pair of gloves costs over 20 dollars, but I can get a 100 count box of gloves for 5 bucks. Also, most med kits only have about 10 alcohol swabs, but you can get a 100ct for about 3-5 bucks. You save money, have far more supplies to deal with large emergencies, and makes you a far more capable person in a variety of injuries. The burn medicine is great cuz I didn't have anything to use for a burn.

A replacement for antibiotic bandaids is neosporin. A single little tube can handle at least 10 injured areas. And we all hear how much faster wounds heal with neosporin. The analgesic I have is Ibuprofin, since it comes in so many medical kits. I need just a bit more adhesive tape, maybe some burn gel, and I really think my kit will be complete. So far, I have spent less than 50 dollars by buying separately.

How many people here have medical supplies in their preps? Maybe medclinician can tell us more.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 2:52pm
    If you really think you need one, for between 30-100 dollars you can buy battery powered blood pressure cuffs. Many also take pulse at the same time. I still have my equipment from school, I put it in the emergency duffel bag. I have a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and a non-mercury thermometer with lots of sheaths left over. For those who don't know what a sheath is, it's the plastic wrapper they put on the thermometer for hygenic and infection control. The sheath is thrown away after usage. I use an alcohol prep on my therm before I use it and after, even if I had a sheath on it. Healthcare workers here might know I keep the therm and the sheaths in a ziploc baggie. After a couple of weeks into the class, I found that the little box for the sheaths was getting worn down, so now I keep them in a ziploc baggie. Ziplocs are the best method I've developed so far to organize and itemize my supplies, and also keeps them from getting loose, or I'd have to empty the bag just to find an alcohol prep.
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 2:15am
Have a couple of packs of butterfly strips for semi deep cuts, they would be useless for deep cuts or severed arterys, also have a couple of sport drinks bottles, if someone is sick they have more control with these bottles than a straw and glass that can spill all over. Sorry this is a bit yucky. Has anyone thought how they are going to protect the mattress on their beds? if someone is quite sick they will be unable to get to the bathroom and you are going to be dealing with accidents, when I checked out the price of plastic mattress they where a little expensive, so I have bought a couple of plastic shower curtains. I have an empty plastic spray bottle that I will put in bleach and water to clean down plastic sheeting after an accident. I have a couple of large plastic bowls set aside for vomit only.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 9:26am
    ro, if you are forced to clean someone, this is how it works - the procedure is called perineal care, or pericare for short. You always wipe away from the vaginal area. So if you're cleaning the front, you wipe down towards the rectum. If you're cleaning the anus, you wipe away from the vaginal area. At work we use saniwipes, the kind you use for babies.

If you have the shower curtains, cut one of them into a large piece, you can use that as an incontinent pad. Place it generally where the hips are in the center to catch urine and feces so it doesn't ruin the mattress.
I am not a prophet
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 11:30am
Originally posted by johngardner1 johngardner1 wrote:

ro, if you are forced to clean someone, this is how it works - the procedure is called perineal care, or pericare for short. You always wipe away from the vaginal area. So if you're cleaning the front, you wipe down towards the rectum. If you're cleaning the anus, you wipe away from the vaginal area. At work we use saniwipes, the kind you use for babies.

If you have the shower curtains, cut one of them into a large piece, you can use that as an incontinent pad. Place it generally where the hips are in the center to catch urine and feces so it doesn't ruin the mattress.

Thanks John I have been a nurse for 25 years in Britain, Hospital and nursing homes, taken some time out to care for my disabled daughter, but am hoping too go to University in March next year to do my deree in nursing, specalizing in theater operative care.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 11:18am
I'm kinda of leary of buying any products from the dollar store ... aren't some of these products made outside the country (China, Mexico)?
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic