Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Investing in preps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Investing in preps
    Posted: September 20 2007 at 3:31pm
I am a new member but have been a lurker for a long time. I thoroughly enjoy reading all of your comments and have learned much by reading every day. Remember, guys and gals, that people often tune in who are just starting to worry and need to get up to speed. Please be patient with us newbies as we sort our way through the maze that is pandemic prepping.

I am curious as to how much you all have invested in preparing so far? Do you allocate a certain amount each month, each week? My husband and I have spent a lot and I will continue until I feel safe and ready. Does anyone out there feel that they are done and are only just cycling thru their stores?   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by mom1 mom1 wrote:

I am a new member but have been a lurker for a long time.    Does anyone out there feel that they are done and are only just cycling thru their stores?   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
welcome mom1!! =)

hmmmm,,i am not sure you ever feel "done." i am to the point where i don't feel i have to buy more quantities unless i see an awesome deal on something. the great thing about adopting prepping as a lifestyle is now i only shop the sales every week. i have so much of everything that i just buy what i would normally use,,but only when it is on sale. i have saved so much money on my grocery bills over the past two years doing this.
also,,over the summer,,i got lazy about shopping so i dug into some of my preps,,so i am now replenishing those.
but when things start to really happen,,i have a last minute to do list that will keep me busy.   fill the water drums with the hose, that kind of stuff.
mom1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 3:52pm
Summer was when I learned what my kids do not like and will not eat from my preps. For example, they're not big fans of Velveeta Shells and Cheese or Hamburger Helper. My husband reminds me that during a pandemic or any ememrgency they WILL eat it whether or not they like it. However, I have read repeatedly to only store what the family likes as it will help with the stress of an already stressful situation.
Over summer everyone discovered my preps and I also need to replenish. I, myself, can't help grabbing that bottle of spaghetti sauce when I run out. I'm guessing $500 at Costco will go pretty quickly. Not to mention we still don't have a generator.
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 4:10pm

Summer was when I learned what my kids do not like and will not eat from my preps. For example, they're not big fans of Velveeta Shells and Cheese or Hamburger Helper. My husband reminds me that during a pandemic or any ememrgency they WILL eat it whether or not they like it. However, I have read repeatedly to only store what the family likes as it will help with the stress of an already stressful situation.
Over summer everyone discovered my preps and I also need to replenish. I, myself, can't help grabbing that bottle of spaghetti sauce when I run out. I'm guessing $500 at Costco will go pretty quickly. Not to mention we still don't have a generator.

Hi mom1, welcome to the chatboard. I'm fairly new myself but can help you with preps a bit.

First off, I'm a CNA (certified nursing assistant) and so have medical training. I know the medclinician I think is a doctor so I defer to his/her judgement completely. So while others here tell you about food/water, I want to talk to you about medical supplies.

Don't be afraid to buy a couple of ten dollar first aid kits at the store. However, be aware that even the 30 dollar ones only have one pair of gloves and limited supplies of medicine. So what I do is buy separately, cuz once those primary resources are exhausted all that's left is a bandaid case. Buying separately could save you hundreds, and you don't really need 70 dollars to get started. A box of gloves 100count costs about five bucks. Box of alcohol swabs another 4 dollars for 100 count. Not just bandaids, but gauze and the larger bandaids for severe and long cuts. Antibiotic ointment like neosporin. Also, hydrogen peroxide sterilizes and it's painless (blood and pus justs boils away leaving a clean wound for antibiotic ointment). Extra isoprophyl alcohol.

So make your emergency backpack and buy med supplies separately, you'll end up with a lot more supplies for less amountt (lots less) of money.

There are two types of emergencies - the kind where you're forced from home (fire, earthquake) in which case you need emergency backpack(s) (each person in your household should have a pack or duffel bag too) and the kind of emergency where you can stay at home and use your regular supplies (plague, disease, maybe others). So you need to prepare for both kinds of emergencies.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 4:17pm
    Also, the most important thing - remove the plastic wrapping your kits and other supplies might come in or you're scrambling to open up the kit while somebody is bleeding to death.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 4:19pm
    I keep my emergency duffel bag in the livingroom next to my computer. I got the bag for xmas last year when my friends knew i'd be going to school, and after school was done converted the schoolbag into a total emergency supply bag. I have my medical equipment in there, so could actually do vital signs if necessary. I need more food and water and cigarettes.
I am not a prophet
mom1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 4:32pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I have large quantities of everything you mentioned except the Hydrogen Peroxide which I will grab. My husband keeps swiping my box of gloves to use when he is painting or working on the car.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 6:10pm
I started prepping maybe five months ago when the local health authority started playing ads on TV about BF. I have a lot of stuff, but realistically it's still nowhere near as much as I'd need. I've been buying canned food (corn, peas, mixed veg, various beans, etc) as well as rice, flour, pasta. I'm hoping to finally bag the dried bulk stuff this weekend (mylar bags, oxygen absorbers and 5 gallon buckets all at the ready). I'm going to get flour and a tortilla press so I can make burritos etc, and I've been buying the small packets of yeast with a view to buying a camp oven that'll work with a portable stove. I'm stocking up on propane (the small camping cannisters) for some lanterns I have, but now I'm starting to get together a collection of Coleman dual fuel lanterns and stoves because of their low running costs - a gallon of gas costs less than a couple of propane cannisters and lasts a lot longer. I need to sort out a water filter of some kind. I was thinking of investing in a Katadyn unit or making one using a couple of Berkey filters (someone posted a way of making one cheap in the water thread - page 16 I think). Somebody here also kindly pointed me in the direction of some websites that detailed how to make solar stills, and that's something I might explore - fresh water from salt water would come in handy here. A generator is still on the wish list, as are solar panels. My medical supplies are just about where I want them. I do worry about self defense, and I've been looking into the best weapon to buy (it'll probably be a shotgun). I hate to think it might be necessary, but I think in reality the chances of dying from BF will a minor concern compared to the way society will break down in the face of food/water shortages. The trouble is, the more I prep, the more things I realize I need.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 7:13pm
    I'm glad to see you two prepping.

Soda's pull date is only a month and a half generally. Once the soda is gone I'm moving towards frozen juice concentrate. I forgot to buy water today. For a buck you get a big gallon bottle (like the plastic ones milk comes in). I need to get one of the huge bottles, the kind made for a dispenser you see in some offices. Don't use more than a cup and force your families to spongebathe. You'll run out of sponges too unless you force them to use the same one over and over.

I'm just glad I had the medical training, including cpr/first aid. I don't feel like a victim in an emergency situation anymore. I urge everyone here to go to the red cross for first aid/cpr

The hydrogen peroxide is only a buck for a fairly good sized bottle. Plus it's painless and cleans more thoroughly in my opinion than alcohol. It just boils away, including dried up blood as well as the pus.

I don't think that a taco shell maker is the right idea. Just find food with a pull date of a couple years. Flour usually has a pull date too, so it's pointless.

I just logged onto safeway, nutrigrain bars come in packages of 8 for about 3.69 or 45 cents per ration. I'm going to try the other flavors too. Remember, you don't have food, you have rations and they should be treated that way. One meal a day is all you need to live. Nutrigrain bars have 140 calories. Plus they don't need to be prepared.

Don't be surprised, ultra slim fasts are good for you. It's the perfect alternative to water and solid food. One or two a day could feed you. They're expensive though, more thana dollar per can.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2007 at 7:17pm
    Ok, we have all heard about coffee makers and the usage of their filters to boil (purify) water and filter out impurities, but who here has actually done this and can tell us how it works and whether it works well enough to bother with? I don't drink coffee but the percolators (sp) are only 12 bucks.
I am not a prophet
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 5:57am
I think I must have spent 5k - 10k on preps back in 2005.   I had enough supplies to almost start a trading post.   LOL  

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 6:46am
I am not sure exactly how much money we have invested with preps. I just usually buy extra stuff every time I go to the store. At first (about 2 years ago) I was very organized and was buying cases of items at a time. Then when things started to pile up everywhere, I wasn't able to find certain things etc. So about a year ago I changed my "buying" method and started buying by meals for the family (2 cans of Ravioli, a can of veggies, can of fruit) then storing it together by meal instead of by case. We try not to eat our preps, but we did use alot this summer and I am in the process of replacing items that we have used. We have about a years supply of food and medical supplies, soaps/shampoos that type thing. Still trying to focus on pet foods and TP this month.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 8:41am
My wife bought me HAIR GEL for bf! Can you believe that!I looked at her and just shook my head!

We are ready as any one could hope to be. Probably spent around 5,000- 7,000..   
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 9:31am
Alcohol and lots of it  any kind drinkable and none
COSCO $13 for a 50 pounds of rice
good strong garbage bags
I would keep all the old computers and other stuff
because you never know what happens when money will lose its value
we will be in the barter economy so keep you junk if you can
maybe it will be forth more than you think
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 10:00am
We've probably spent about $2500, which includes everything from a small generator to protection (such as masks and gloves) to Tamiflu to
food, drugs and necessities for about 4 months. I'm one of the few that would actually leave my house during a pandemic to re-stock (if necessary and if available), so I have quite a bit of protective gear.
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 10:34am
"I don't think that a taco shell maker is the right idea. Just find food with a pull date of a couple years. Flour usually has a pull date too, so it's pointless."

I'm trying to come up with as many variations as I can for meals (I have a kid so I have to make sure I come up with things he'll eat). I noticed tortilla flour is cheap if you buy it in bulk, and with an inexpensive press I can make tortillas in minutes from scratch. From what I've read, flour has a shelf life of between three and five years which is about the same as most of the canned and dried goods I have anyway. It'll be sealed in mylar with an oxygen absorber too so I'm expecting it to last as long as my other preps. Just looking for a little variety in our diet, and it occured to me that if poorer and third world countries get by every day on less than we have, maybe we should look to them for tips on how to survive times of hardship.
Just got back from Walmart and picked up some plastic storage containers with lids (Sterilite?). I'm going to start switching out my cardboard boxes as these are a lot tougher, stackable and obviously waterproof. Not that big of a deal in Southern California, but after watching a couple of programs lately on tsunamis I thought it might be prudent as we're only a little way above sea level here, and close to the water and we've had a couple of small earthquakes out in the ocean in the past few weeks. Obviously waterproof containers wouldn't stand up to a big one - they'd end up two miles inland - but a small one would get things plenty wet. They come in different colors too so I can use that to organize things into sections, and at less than $4 each they're cheap insurance.
Picked up a couple of good can openers too. I'd hate to be stuck with a bunch of food and no way to get into it (for anyone contemplating a cheap Dollartree can opener - they die after half a dozen uses. Not worth the savings.)
Total so far? Maybe $1000-1500 with a long way to go.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

I am not sure exactly how much money we have invested with preps. I just usually buy extra stuff every time I go to the store. At first (about 2 years ago) I was very organized and was buying cases of items at a time. Then when things started to pile up everywhere, I wasn't able to find certain things etc. So about a year ago I changed my "buying" method and started buying by meals for the family (2 cans of Ravioli, a can of veggies, can of fruit) then storing it together by meal instead of by case. We try not to eat our preps, but we did use alot this summer and I am in the process of replacing items that we have used. We have about a years supply of food and medical supplies, soaps/shampoos that type thing. Still trying to focus on pet foods and TP this month.

Actually Penham you should eat from your preps because they have a pull date anyway, so you need to cycle appropriately
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 10:44am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

"I don't think that a taco shell maker is the right idea. Just find food with a pull date of a couple years. Flour usually has a pull date too, so it's pointless."

I'm trying to come up with as many variations as I can for meals (I have a kid so I have to make sure I come up with things he'll eat). I noticed tortilla flour is cheap if you buy it in bulk, and with an inexpensive press I can make tortillas in minutes from scratch. From what I've read, flour has a shelf life of between three and five years which is about the same as most of the canned and dried goods I have anyway. It'll be sealed in mylar with an oxygen absorber too so I'm expecting it to last as long as my other preps. Just looking for a little variety in our diet, and it occured to me that if poorer and third world countries get by every day on less than we have, maybe we should look to them for tips on how to survive times of hardship.
Just got back from Walmart and picked up some plastic storage containers with lids (Sterilite?). I'm going to start switching out my cardboard boxes as these are a lot tougher, stackable and obviously waterproof. Not that big of a deal in Southern California, but after watching a couple of programs lately on tsunamis I thought it might be prudent as we're only a little way above sea level here, and close to the water and we've had a couple of small earthquakes out in the ocean in the past few weeks. Obviously waterproof containers wouldn't stand up to a big one - they'd end up two miles inland - but a small one would get things plenty wet. They come in different colors too so I can use that to organize things into sections, and at less than $4 each they're cheap insurance.
Picked up a couple of good can openers too. I'd hate to be stuck with a bunch of food and no way to get into it (for anyone contemplating a cheap Dollartree can opener - they die after half a dozen uses. Not worth the savings.)
Total so far? Maybe $1000-1500 with a long way to go.

You have a family to support, I'm by myself. Like I told Penham, most food has a pull date so you should eat your preps and put the new food you have into storage.
I am not a prophet
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by johngardner1 johngardner1 wrote:

The hydrogen peroxide is only a buck for a fairly good sized bottle. Plus it's painless and cleans more thoroughly in my opinion than alcohol. It just boils away, including dried up blood as well as the pus.

john,,thanks for the reminder,i do need more hydrogen peroxide,,do you know how long it will "keep"?
since it's not something we go through a lot on a regular basis,,if it expires pretty rapidly,,i want to be judicious how i buy it.
i do remember my older kids did like how it NEVER stings, burns, etc on cuts, etc
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2007 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by mom24kids mom24kids wrote:

john,,thanks for the reminder,i do need more hydrogen peroxide,,do you know how long it will "keep"?
since it's not something we go through a lot on a regular basis,,if it expires pretty rapidly,,i want to be judicious how i buy it.
i do remember my older kids did like how it NEVER stings, burns, etc on cuts, etc

Not immediately, examine the pull date
I am not a prophet
cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2007 at 11:12am
     Hi, Some preps can be gotten cheap, for example 20 lbs of rice is approx 7.00$,,, So even 100lbs is around 30$ . Can goods can be approx 3 for 1$ , so a case of 24 is 8.00$. You really need to have food for your family. You don't have to spend a ton to get basic rations. First start with staples and then if your budget allows other items can be added. Canned tuna, fruits, sugar, coffee, tea and other favorites.

Remember you can save money in many ways to have the funds for the staples. I trimmed my gift, vacation, gas and vechicle expenses to get the money for staples that I deemed important. When the time comes, I'll use my credit cards to buy, buy, buy. I don't think any bill collectors will be stopping by if the payment is late.

I did use my credit card "free bonus dollars" to buy a Katadyn water purifier. Water will be a freebie using it, so that freed up funds for more of the items I will need. I'd rather have 100$ worth of food than eating out or going on dates, ect. right now.

Having food in the cabinet, with the prices constantly going up will pay a better return than any bank interest and makes me feel very secure. Shop wise and buy when deals come up for maximum yeilds.

I recently brought a case of 12 packages of Creamy Wheat ( generic Cream of Wheat for 1.69$ per box , I used a case last year and at the time got it for 1.29$ per box. Generics and store brands can really get you the most for your money. Carl H.
cgh
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2007 at 12:50pm
    The problem I have with water purifiers is that the filters are so expensive it costs basically as much as bottled water from the store. Unless you know where to get a cheap one?
I am not a prophet
web ferret View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote web ferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2007 at 1:10pm

The problem I have with water purifiers is that the filters are so expensive it costs basically as much as bottled water from the store. Unless you know where to get a cheap one?

Try the emergency filter system at

Yes bottled water is cheaper - if you can get it...
cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2007 at 2:16pm
    I brought the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter. It uses a ceramic, silver impegnated filter cartridge and will last up to 13,000 gallons, output 1 qt. per minute, it is small about the size of a "to go coffee mug". It costs in the range of 175$, I will get another filter element in case of breakage or overuse. It's the one big item I brought myself for my birthday. Dry type foods will need water to cook in and you need a few gallons a day for personal use. They make bigger units, but I think one will suit my needs. I will also run the water through a Brita type filter for drinking.
   The Katadyn will turn pond water into "wine". I plan to collect rain water so this should work quite well. It's quite small so it won't take up any valuable space. *** I do not hold stock in the company, But I'm a fan...
cgh
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2007 at 2:32pm
    That came to about one cent per gallon, but the price is so high to get it...
I am not a prophet
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 10:04am
When using heat to purify water you must boil it for at least five minutes. If the coffee maker does not bring the water to a boil and give you the ability to keep it there for five minutes...don't trust it. Use a camp stove or treat the water with bleach.
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
reality check View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reality check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 12:11pm
[QUOTE=quietprepr] When using heat to purify water you must boil it for at least five minutes.

Actually, only one minute is required to have potable water by boiling. Chlorine is not effective against parasites such as Giardia Lamblia (beaver fever)   
"tell med the grasshoppers won"
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 12:58pm
I must have spend at least 2K and have still not completed the preps. Have tried to watch shelf life dates and cycle my stuff. Trouble is, I ran out of room to store. I think the next thing is to convert a large closet. Still have to learn how to use my greenhouse. My pond and hot tub could supply non-potable water, used the delivery service to amass 5-gal water of drinkable. I actually moved mentally away from prepping to marry my daughter in Hawaii last month, then a reception at home. Must now refocus and prep some more. The biggest thing I've done is to establish a fabulous relationship with my neighbors, demonstrated it during power outages and snow storms. We can come together and probably will. All good posts with great ideas. D
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
mom1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 2:21pm
Thanks so much for the replies to this topic. When I approached the topic of prepping with my husband, I laid out my plan to stock food, medicine, and water. I was surprised at his "take" on prepping. He concentrated on power and protection. How would we heat our home should the avian flu strike in winter? How would we protect our provisions in a suburban living environment. To make a long story, short, we bought another house out in the country. This was a big investment, but now we feel secure in our ability to defend ourselves. (We were going to buy a vacation home anyway, but chose one that was more rural than originally planned). This home can be heated by a wood stove and has a stream running through the property. I've only spent about $1000 on preps of food and medicine and am cycling through. My husband has purchased a house, a gun, a gas syphon (sp?), enough wood for 6 months, and is researching generators. God Bless the nurturing spouse of an earnest prepper.   
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 3:17pm

Thanks so much for the replies to this topic. When I approached the topic of prepping with my husband, I laid out my plan to stock food, medicine, and water. I was surprised at his "take" on prepping. He concentrated on power and protection. How would we heat our home should the avian flu strike in winter? How would we protect our provisions in a suburban living environment. To make a long story, short, we bought another house out in the country. This was a big investment, but now we feel secure in our ability to defend ourselves. (We were going to buy a vacation home anyway, but chose one that was more rural than originally planned). This home can be heated by a wood stove and has a stream running through the property. I've only spent about $1000 on preps of food and medicine and am cycling through. My husband has purchased a house, a gun, a gas syphon (sp?), enough wood for 6 months, and is researching generators. God Bless the nurturing spouse of an earnest prepper.   

Medical supplies could be crucial in an emergency. Go ahead and buy a 20 dollar kit if you can afford it, but go buy a duffel bag (not a backpack, duffels hold more) and make it your doctor's bag. Box of gloves 100 ct cost about 5 dollars. 100 ct of alcohol swabs, another 5. Buy a medium sized bottle of tylenol, aspirin, ibuprofen and you might try excedrin. We used excedrin growing up and it has double the power of aspirin. I'm fortunate that I have some medical training (I'm a CNA), so I actually know how to do blood pressure.

Remember, once you use the primary resources of your med kit it's only a bandaid case. SO buying separately will save you hundreds.
I am not a prophet
Bloomberg View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bloomberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 4:06pm
    every household should have a katadyn water purifier or equivalent because pure water is the absolute minimum we need to life. so buy it now and do not wait until you need it (... or have enough gold.... other topic... ;-)
It doesnt mean a thing
if it aint got that swing
Boondocker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2007 at 10:12pm

The above statement depends on whether you have an adequate supply of water to filter to begin with. Living in the suburbs is often a far different water reality then living in the sticks and the filtration methods must be tailored to suit the water you have access to.

Using a MSR or Katadyn ceramic filter is fine and dandy for most rural moving waters but you'd want to use reverse osmosis or distillation on suburban moving or standing waters. There are too many contaminants in suburban waters.
Katadyn makes the Survivor Series of Desalinators which will pump out about 5 litres of potable water from most any source, but they'll cost you a pretty penny.

Distillation requires plenty of fuel.

Solar stills require a large piece of land (to supply a family's needs) and pre construction of the still, unless you're using plastic sheeting which isn't ideal for long term water demands.

Having the means to filter doesn't mean squat if your supply is capped from the get go. Hence why filtration should take a slight back seat to storage in a failing infrastructure , unless you're along a seaside community or great lake.

Invest in sturdy water storage containers and a few bottles of rotated chlorine before you start forking out the big bucks for expedition gear.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2007 at 11:13am
    Hey boondocker, we haven't seen you for the better part of a week.
I am not a prophet
SouthTexas View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 6:31am
Last night on both the ABC and CNN news, I heard, as many of you, the report on "cyber terror" and how someone could tap in an potentially shut down electrical grids and whatever else to cause discomfot to the peoples of the US.  With an outbreak of something like the avian flu or even a hurricane, we will have time to prepare.  With something like this, none.

The preps we have made on any given day, are the only ones we have for certain. 
The Lord be magnified.
mom1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 1:44pm
South Texas, I couldn't agree more. I know that my prep stores have gotten too low and I need to restock and take inventory. I need to finally order a good generator (which my husband and I have been talking about for two years). I don't know what the future will hold, but it would feel good to be prepared for anything.   
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 3:20pm

Mom1, you bring up the idea of a generator. I can't have one myself cuz I'd choke on the carbon monoxide in my apartment. So let's focus on other supplies of light - candles. I think the best candles are the ones that come in a jar. Nice and stable so that if it tips over it won't start a house fire. We don't want to be on the streets during a pandemic. So candles are on my prep list
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 6:36pm

Hey boondocker, we haven't seen you for the better part of a week.

I've been busy sourcing out alternative energy and water sources for the last month or so. Hooked up with an electronics expert who's been training me in the delicacies of capacitors, transistors, resisitors, and pic chips according to 12 volt sources and such (at an unsavoury 20 bucks cash an hour)

My mind has been thoroughly frazzled beyond all recompense!

Ohms, computer code, volts, amps, sealed and unsealed batteries...I'm overloading and ready to smoke!!

I've got the basics down to hook up my PowerSurvivor 40E to a couple of 12 volt sealed batteries hooked to 3 trickle chargers. So not all is confused.

I'm a mobile water fountain along the coast.

Though haven't worked out the power consumption to unseat my two 9+ tanks of LPG worth of cooking power, and I want to severely. Relying on gas is a falsehood. It can't even be pumped into the bottle without an electrical mains or at least generator, and how many fuel stations carry those during a crises?

I'm still here and reading something strongly. Forgive me if I get sidetracked on other tangents and don't post much.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 7:35pm
    Login to the "Bird Flu Blog' and you'll get to read a story after pandemic set in the future in Australia, I think the author's name is Darryl Mason. Maybe boondocker's heard of him since he's also from australia.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 8:31pm

Login to the "Bird Flu Blog' and you'll get to read a story after pandemic set in the future in Australia, I think the author's name is Darryl Mason. Maybe boondocker's heard of him since he's also from australia.

Maybe I think popular American fiction and your own leanings are full of delusional ****.

Don't try to lead the masses... They can reasonably lead themselves.

Bird flu will shut down EVERYTHING, given the chance. The chance rests in complacency, and that eternal restlessness which resides in humanity.

Blow out your need to sow dissention right up your royal freckled raisin. I'll have none it.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Boondocker Boondocker wrote:

Maybe I think popular American fiction and your own leanings are full of delusional ****.

Bird flu will shut down EVERYTHING, given the chance. The chance rests in complacency, and that eternal restlessness which resides in humanity.

Blow out your need to sow dissention right up your royal freckled raisin. I'll have none it.

Boondocker, you're too smart and yet not smart enough for your own good. If you can't reasonably get along with other people in something as basic as a chat board I really don't know what to tell you. From now on, you enjoy my pity, not my sympathy
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 8:39pm
    Plus you aren't looking at the rates of increase. We could have a relatively mild first couple of years then greater attrition without killing everyone first. You don't have a monopoly on intelligence and Aussies have never been noticed for having brains.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 9:03pm

Boondocker, you're too smart and yet not smart enough for your own good. If you can't reasonably get along with other people in something as basic as a chat board I really don't know what to tell you. From now on, you enjoy my pity, not my sympathy
Your pity is tinged with the taint of need towards lulling a readership at a foregone conclusion in spark of a most convvincing and pressing need although false. You could easily be a carpet bagger from forlorn days, but you're here online playing every angle and I'm watching it in disbelief.

My dad alway used to say, "Do you think I just fell off the turnip truck yesterday?"

I ask you that very same question. Do you think that I or any other reader would believe what seems to be absolute contrived bullroar in spite of the very common sense our parents taught us?
I'm not offended, not surprised, not dishevelled in the least. I expect your disharmonious kind. The type which persistentantly attempts longevity and legitimicacy in the face of it's own falsehoods. It knows none other than falsehood and subterfuge.

Let it go, you'r the only one who's called out my name after many weeks of silence. It's obvious that you're hankering for a fight. Let it be obvious now, here and there, anywhere, that I shoot to drop carcass.

Don't toy with me for you own gain. I'll reduce you to cinders. Mark my words.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 9:30pm

Your pity is tinged with the taint of need towards lulling a readership at a foregone conclusion in spark of a most convvincing and pressing need although false. You could easily be a carpet bagger from forlorn days, but you're here online playing every angle and I'm watching it in disbelief.

My dad alway used to say, "Do you think I just fell off the turnip truck yesterday?"

I ask you that very same question. Do you think that I or any other reader would believe what seems to be absolute contrived bullroar in spite of the very common sense our parents taught us?

I'm not offended, not surprised, not dishevelled in the least. I expect your disharmonious kind. The type which persistentantly attempts longevity and legitimicacy in the face of it's own falsehoods. It knows none other than falsehood and subterfuge.

Let it go, you'r the only one who's called out my name after many weeks of silence. It's obvious that you're hankering for a fight. Let it be obvious now, here and there, anywhere, that I shoot to drop carcass.

Don't toy with me for you own gain. I'll reduce you to cinders. Mark my words.

Burn me up baby, let's see what you got
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 9:35pm
    Excellent, I'm up to chapter 7 of the online Aussie novel I mentioned in another post from the "Bird Flu Blog' you can google to get to it. It shows life not for a lone survivor but over 90 'active' surviviors, aside from those who took some mental damage from the loss of everything (about 300 living people). They're locked, or think they are, by robotic drones that continue to impose quarantine months after "EB" day. Groups leave only for the survivors to hear gunshots and nobody ever comes back.

Some of the things I think they're lucky to have. A lot of talk about rooftop (on buildings) with botanical gardens and somesuch, things that don't exist here in Seattle, maybe in you're part of the world it does. They have solar generators and bicycle generators. The hero uses them for his laptop. People got nicknames once they're accepted into the group, like "Matron" for the lady who helps survivors bedridden in the local hospital, "Bossbloke" I think for the fellow who runs the local council. SO this brings up the topic of rebuilding from the ashes.
I am not a prophet
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2007 at 10:05pm
    Actually Boondocker, I was trying to be nice to you when I welcomed you back.
I am not a prophet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic