Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

FEMA Activities Stepping Up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cicero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FEMA Activities Stepping Up?
    Posted: December 10 2007 at 6:35pm
This may not be firsthand, but it's from my close friend who works for the major FEMA regional command here in my hometown of Denton, TX.

My friend has been working for FEMA for three years now and (as of last Tuesday) has become "alarmed" by the number and depth of "high-brass" meetings at Denton, TX FEMA. Says he's never seen this level of VIPs coming in and holding meetings to this extent. Wanna guess what the meetings are about? You got it--Avian Pandemic.

According to him, these guys are scared because they're sure a pandemic is eminent. It's made him step up his prepping big-time. (He's always been prepared for emergencies. That's just from being a FEMA worker. But now he's super serious about it!)

I don't know if you all know about the importance of the Denton, TX Regional command of FEMA, but everyone in these parts knows it's a vital facility. I've notice lots of large tractor trailers coming in and out of it off of Loop 288 and Hwy 380 in the last month. I live right by there and commute that direction, and have never noticed this level of shipping activity in and out of there. Steven (my friend) tells me there's all manner of shipments coming in from medical to food to tents.

Parts of the town are a-buzz with talk, and you hear things now and then, but this is someone I've known for a long time who works directly in the command facility who says, "Get ready. It's when, not if." I'm listening.

Anyone else near a FEMA facility and able to offer observations??

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2007 at 6:44pm
Thanks for the post cicero.
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 4:15pm
    Find someone willing to leak and maybe who knows what we'll find out.

Remember the Stand, don't get caught in jail during a pandemic or you'll starve to death in your cell with no one to come rescue you.
I am not a prophet
PandemicsHappen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PandemicsHappen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 5:28pm
Hopefully FEMA is taking the Pandemic potential seriously. It would be in all our best interest.

Just look at the new out-breaks since the last week of November: S.Korea, Hong Kong, UK, Burma, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Poland and Romania. Plus an unexplained H2H in China.

Yikes!

johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 6:06pm
    I just read a fascinating article on newsnow about the planned destruction of America Here is the link:

http//onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_2715.shtml
I am not a prophet
TadSmiley View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TadSmiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 8:08am
    I'm a newbie at this forum, but I am a local Emergency Management Director in Minnesota. I attended a Pandemic Influenza Planning and Preparation (PIPP) class in Alabama at the Center for Domestic Preparedness. The class was outstanding with a full day exercise at the end. The first day they outline the threat and the second day they talk about possible contingencies but more than that they ask questions that each person needs to take back to their community/agency/hospital. Like I said earlier, the last day is a simulated exercise from the EOC.

They had a medical doctor, a retired Army Phd, a couple retired paramedics and emergency management directors, and some others speak. I have been following the threat for a couple years and after the first day you are scared spitless at the info they give you. Nothing necessarily new, but they give a deeper understanding from the epidemiology point and what the gov't is doing (or not doing).

It was outstanding, but the full day exercise kind of bothered me because one of their assumptions in the exercise is that the virus CFR would be considered "severe", which in this exercise was like the 1957 pandemic. I talked to the M.D. and said, "They (the gov't) always assume the CFR is at worse going to be like 1918, but what if the CFR doesn't come down?" and he said, "Exactly." He doesn't believe there is any good epidemiological reason why it has to come down and he feels if it hits, which he seemed to be quite concerned that it will with the H5N1, that it will be worse than anybody is talking about. The other Dr (Phd) wasn't as concerned (still felt it would be more like the 1918), but he still has Tamiflu for himself and has stocked up. One thing I appreciated is that you had speakers on both sides of the spectrum (some thinking it could be TEOTWAWKI, some quasi-poo pooing it) so that you could see both sides.

In the class they also said that it's definitely YOYO, that when the WHO Phase goes to "4" the CDC will release their Strategic National Stockpile of Tamiflu to the states, and we need to get as many people as possible to the class to try to get as prepared as possible for when it hits. They did say on the record the usual (It's not a matter of if, but when - however we don't know if it will be H5N1, etc. etc.) but Homeland Security (Centers for Domestic Preparedness is under Homeland Security now)is taking it very seriously.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 8:13am

Hello TadSmiley, welcome to the forum and we appreciate the input.   We're looking forward to more of your posts, and glad to have you with us.   

Kind regards,
A

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 9:20am
Originally posted by TadSmiley TadSmiley wrote:

. I talked to the M.D. and said, "They (the gov't) always assume the CFR is at worse going to be like 1918, but what if the CFR doesn't come down?" and he said, "Exactly." He doesn't believe there is any good epidemiological reason why it has to come down and he feels if it hits, which he seemed to be quite concerned that it will with the H5N1, that it will be worse than anybody is talking about. The other Dr (Phd) wasn't as concerned (still felt it would be more like the 1918), but he still has Tamiflu for himself and has stocked up.

CDC has run at least 3 drills, one of which was posted on several months ago. CFR is a topic of considerable debate. As Albert said, it is good to see new people with new experiences and insights on the site. One nurse, working with the governor's office in Wisconsin had mentioned the fact that prep plans may use figures as low as .5% CFR while the actual CFR in WHO cases is more like 56%.

Quite a leap there. It is good to see people meeting, discussing, and becoming more ready. A most interesting post.

Medclinician
Mike-Hz View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike-Hz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 9:53am
Welcome aboard TadSmiley
I am a fellow Minnesotan, right here in MSP
Do you know of training, workshops, etc  in this local region?

Mike-Hz

TadSmiley View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TadSmiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 10:17am
   Give me your e-mail address and if anything comes up, I'll let you know. If you work in public safety (law enforcement, EMS, preparedness management) you might be able to attend the PIPP class in Alabama and the best part is that it is free. Free plane ticket, free housing, free food, mileage, everything. They also have periodic classes with MN Risk Management, HSEM (Minnesota Homeland Security Emergency Management), and some other stuff in the state. One of the best things, though, is the networking.
Mike-Hz View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike-Hz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 1:25pm
The classes sound outstanding. I  would  like more info on the HSEM  classes. You can reach me  at   email@hazarid.com  I'm also curious about the criteria for the PIPP classes.
Believe it or not, there are a few topics that some of the participants here at AFT don't totally agree on.      But I think everyone can appreciate the value of networking.  Looking forward to hearing from you.
Mike-Hz
wiglaf View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiglaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by TadSmiley TadSmiley wrote:

I'm a newbie at this forum, but I am a local Emergency Management Director in Minnesota. I attended a Pandemic Influenza Planning and Preparation (PIPP) class in Alabama at the Center for Domestic Preparedness. The class was outstanding with a full day exercise at the end. The first day they outline the threat and the second day they talk about possible contingencies but more than that they ask questions that each person needs to take back to their community/agency/hospital. Like I said earlier, the last day is a simulated exercise from the EOC.

They had a medical doctor, a retired Army Phd, a couple retired paramedics and emergency management directors, and some others speak. I have been following the threat for a couple years and after the first day you are scared spitless at the info they give you. Nothing necessarily new, but they give a deeper understanding from the epidemiology point and what the gov't is doing (or not doing).

It was outstanding, but the full day exercise kind of bothered me because one of their assumptions in the exercise is that the virus CFR would be considered "severe", which in this exercise was like the 1957 pandemic. I talked to the M.D. and said, "They (the gov't) always assume the CFR is at worse going to be like 1918, but what if the CFR doesn't come down?" and he said, "Exactly." He doesn't believe there is any good epidemiological reason why it has to come down and he feels if it hits, which he seemed to be quite concerned that it will with the H5N1, that it will be worse than anybody is talking about. The other Dr (Phd) wasn't as concerned (still felt it would be more like the 1918), but he still has Tamiflu for himself and has stocked up. One thing I appreciated is that you had speakers on both sides of the spectrum (some thinking it could be TEOTWAWKI, some quasi-poo pooing it) so that you could see both sides.

In the class they also said that it's definitely YOYO, that when the WHO Phase goes to "4" the CDC will release their Strategic National Stockpile of Tamiflu to the states, and we need to get as many people as possible to the class to try to get as prepared as possible for when it hits. They did say on the record the usual (It's not a matter of if, but when - however we don't know if it will be H5N1, etc. etc.) but Homeland Security (Centers for Domestic Preparedness is under Homeland Security now)is taking it very seriously.

Thanks for the great input, Tad. It's eye-opening. I'm trying to brush aside a cynical thought: If an institution has you believe the risk is much less than it is, they have a FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE.

Levygoddess View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 7:12pm
This might sound crazy but do any of you know of classes like this in Arkansas?
God put us here for a reason
muriel46 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muriel46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 7:33pm
I have some more information to share from a source in FEMA

There is a very serious concern about what is happening with H5N1 right now. What I understand, WHO has run out of people to send. No one is sure what would happen in Africa with an Ebola (air borne), TB (air borne), H5N1 (air borne), all in the same host. ....

[snip]

The WHO doesn't know what to do. Steps are being sent out to up command center preps and installing HEPA filters in EOC's, local, county, state and regional. Also jails and critical structure facilities. ...Several FEMA centers are receiving semi loads of ventilators and other apparatus. Local EOC's ... have been told to prepare for "extended periods of stay and constant operation".

New electronic scanning of vehicles for state police are being installed with the 700Mhz system so State Police can run plates without making contact with theoccupants of the car. ....

..... Human to human, airborne, Ebola-H5N1-TB is spreading, mutating, and advancing. .... it was the worry to combine in Africa and mutate all in one, airborne.

.... we have a new sunspot rotating towards Earth. Hopefully it dies out but produced a powerful CME on the backside in the past couple days. It is unknown what will happen in the next day or two as it rotates towards Earth. It is possible that if it releases a CME or Gamma Ray storm, it will add to the mutation and spread of these viruses. ....  science sources of contacts,(say) this is becoming very serious. And rapidly. WHO has run out of available personnel to respond. ...

Talk is they have done everything they can to prepare people. If they are they are, if not, then they are never going to be. Talk of one more media blitz, but some don't agree. Just let it go and spend the money elsewhere.

ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 9:06pm
Hello Muriel46 and Everyone; Sorry I do not post very much/often. Yes, they at FEMA are "in phase"-The US Goverment maintains an "EVENT HORIZON" alert/perspective. The algorithms are set and the super computer computations advanced and rapidly evolving. Thank G-D for people like Mike Levitt and Mr. Chertoff. Those on this formum will know when the "Event Horizon" has been reached. No need to explain, you will know and have adequate time to finish preparation. Look at Wikipedia, for those that would like a refresher understanding of it's relationship/importance. You have been given a "pearl" here with this. That is something I learned as an M.D., Surgical Resident. We loved "PEARLS of Knowledge/Wisdom from our teachers. Enough for now-Best to all and G-D Speed. Respectfully, JJD...     
EYE in the SKY
Levygoddess View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 9:22pm
Entropy no disrespect intended but some of us on this site are not as educated as you and need some explanation from time to time. Are you saying that it is close and they will announce it soon? Can you please be a little more less encryptic?
God put us here for a reason
ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 11:01pm
Dear Levygoddess; Sorry for being a bit "cryptic" - Please do not demean yourself for saying you are not as educated. You are very well educated, by the fact you are aware, expend time and seek knowledge to protect your family, self and Country. Many Doctors(aka "Physcians") say they are well trained. However, monkeys are trained, Physcians and other knowledge seekers, men and women are EDUCATED. That, I believe, is this forum's purpose, to educate. Now let me say, to answer your question, YES..YES...YES...much closer than anyone comprehends. Follow, for now, United States Government material distributions, Executive Orders(no matter who is President)and other Government and Military sites. Sorry I cannot say more now. You will have adequate time by monitoring this Forum, Albert has done an admirable job. As Chief Lone Woddy((is that the correct spelling)said "HELL IS COMING TO BREAKFAST" but you can and will be prepared as G-D wants us to be, live and "CONTRIBUTE TO THE PROGRESS OF THE WORLD." ...That is Life's purpose,I wish I had said that first. The Emporer of Japan said that when he announced Japan's surrender at the conclusion of World War II Respectfully, JJD...more to follow...Sorry, Albert for this being verbose...>>>   

EYE in the SKY
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 9:50am
RE: the cameras to spot license plates, etc. Well, "they" fooled me again...we have recently installed many of these cameras at major intersections and plan many more in Tucson...they are used to catch redlight runners...Phoenix has them also. I didn't think about alternate use, it will serve many purposes drug runners, illegals, etc. I really thought it was a lot of $$$ to catch a few redlight runners.   
Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 1:33pm
that when the WHO Phase goes to "4" the CDC will release their Strategic National Stockpile of Tamiflu to the states,

Thanks for this interesting information TS. Makes sense.
quickdraw View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickdraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by muriel46 muriel46 wrote:

I have some more information to share from a source in FEMAThere is a very serious concern about what is happening with H5N1 right now. What I understand, WHO has run out of people to send. No one is sure what would happen in Africa with an Ebola (air borne), TB (air borne), H5N1 (air borne), all in the same host. ....[snip]The WHO doesn't know what to do. Steps are being sent out to up command center preps and installing HEPA filters in EOC's, local, county, state and regional. Also jails and critical structure facilities. ...Several FEMA centers are receiving semi loads of ventilators and other apparatus. Local EOC's ... have been told to prepare for "extended periods of stay and constant operation". New electronic scanning of vehicles for state police are being installed with the 700Mhz system so State Police can run plates without making contact with theoccupants of the car. ......... Human to human, airborne, Ebola-H5N1-TB is spreading, mutating, and advancing. .... it was the worry to combine in Africa and mutate all in one, airborne..... we have a new sunspot rotating towards Earth. Hopefully it dies out but produced a powerful CME on the backside in the past couple days. It is unknown what will happen in the next day or two as it rotates towards Earth. It is possible that if it releases a CME or Gamma Ray storm, it will add to the mutation and spread of these viruses. ....  science sources of contacts,(say) this is becoming very serious. And rapidly. WHO has run out of available personnel to respond. ...Talk is they have done everything they can to prepare people. If they are they are, if not, then they are never going to be. Talk of one more media blitz, but some don't agree. Just let it go and spend the money elsewhere.******************************************************
<div style=": ; width: 28px; height: 28px; : 1000; display: none;">

I dont believe this at all, someone is watching to much tv.Sci fi channel
Everyday is a good day and if you dont believe that try missing one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic