Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Help for Elderly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help for Elderly
    Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:32am
Hi, everyone. My name is Linda and I am a new member. Have been reading this site for a few weeks now and learned quite a bit, so I wanted to say "Thank You". Also, I have some questions and am looking for input. I live in Northern California in a semi-rural area close to family. In my immediate neighborhood are a predominant number of elderly who pretty much have no clue. I am considering starting a monthly news-letter to inform & update and especially, urge everyone to prepare as much as possible. Comments, please. My husband and I are both vets and prepared to repel intruders. I understand that the pandemic will come in waves. Any information how long each wave will take? Can a N95 mask be re-used under any circumstances? At this point in time, my husband still thinks this will be a non-event like Y2K, so I'm sneaking in my preps. Too funny, that he doesn't even think to ask why we have so much TP. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:44am

Welcome to our world Femvet!

I really like your idea about a newsletter for the neighborhood.  Could I suggest that you keep it as layman friendly as possible.  Peter Sandman, http://www.psandman.com/ has some invaluable insights about "Risk Communication" as it specifically relates to a potential pandemic.  I invite you to explore what he has to say.

Waves:  Popular and expert opinion says we will experience waves, and three is the general number given.  This is based on exactly ONE example of a modern (or semi-modern) pandemic.  I don't buy it, but I don't know nuthin, as the saying goes.  Our world is an entirely different animal than it was in 1918.  To extrapolate what we will see based on the world of 1918 is an assumption I'm not willing to swallow unchallenged.

Re-use of N95 masks.... they are working on ideas for this.  I plan to.  My understanding is that as long as they don't get wet the integrity is uncompromised.  Sterilizing the used masks is the rub.  I have several ideas and method used will depend of if we have power or not.  UV sterilization in the sun is a last resort option if we have no power.

Hope this was helpful.  I look forward to your contributions both from a personal point of view and that of a vet.  We have many animal and pet questions on this board, and we may be imposing on your expertise as we go forward.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 9:13am
OOOPS, sorry. Did not mean to imply veteranarian, we are military vets. However, both HUGE animal lovers. Matter of fact, we have 13 cats, all rescues. Actually, one of my projects for the next few months, is to make sure they have received medical care. Thank God, we build and fully enclosed a good-sized porch for them. I can keep them safe, but Kitty litter for that many cats is an issue, I go thru a minimum 2- 20lbs bags a week, let's say 10 per month. That's a storage problem. Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 9:42am

Thanks for the clarification Femvet!  Your contributions will be valued no less!

20 cats!  What can I say to that?  I will have 7 dogs under my care so I know about storage space their preps take up.  But they are members of our families and deserve no less than what we do for the bipedal members.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 10:27am

scooter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 5:20pm
We are almost through winter just a couple of weeks and it should be warming up are we coming out of the woods or do you think that we need to keep building supplys for our familys? s
birdflueducation.net
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by scooter scooter wrote:

We are almost through winter just a couple of weeks and
it should be warming up are we coming out of the woods or do you think
that we need to keep building supplys for our familys? www.birdflueducation.net/sitemap.html">s

That is a personal decision. We all have our opinions.
Evaluate the information you gather and reflect on it.
If there are any new developments,Spring migration would be the time.

Once there are no more news reports or warnings from medical experts and
government officials then you might want to re-think things.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:33am
Scooter, it seems to me that the virus is spreading far faster than the experts had anticipated, which gives it mucher higher chances of going H2H. Now is not the time to let down your guard, in my opinion. It all depend, of course, how far along you are in your preparations. Are any of us ever really done??? At some point, maybe we just have to say "That's it!". I just know that I'm not anywhere at that point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic