Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Did they exaggerate or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watcher4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did they exaggerate or not?
    Posted: February 19 2006 at 8:52pm
I watched some of the Fox News special and they talked like our society would just collapse and turn into cities filled with looting and riots.  Of course it went unsaid that by that time martial law would have been declared.  Do you think they exaggerated or were pretty close to the mark?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 8:56pm
I missed it!!!! Any idea if and when they'll replay? Did they say anything new or just confirm our worst fears?
daisygirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daisygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:00pm
I MISSED IT TOO, I AM REALLY HOPING SOMEONE CAN GIVE A RE-CAP OF SOME KIND!
love in the past is a memory, love in the future is a fantasy, the only time to truly love is now.-buddha
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:02pm

No exaggeration, but rememeber, they were talking worst case scenario.  I still think the two million death rate is extremely low for a WCS.

Think Katrina, but in just about every major city in the U.S.  We do not have enough police or guard to handle it.  How many would show up for work if h2h was raging in their city?

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Watcher4 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watcher4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:05pm
Basically they said that about 1/3 of the american population would catch the flu and probably about 2 million would die from it.  They said it would take 9-12 months to make enough vaccine and that would be just for the united states.  It sounded pretty scary to me actually because they said we wouldn't be able to handle that many dead bodies.  They also talked about the possiblity of hospitals being shut down or quartined.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:06pm
Yes they will re-air... should be around 1 am est.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:08pm

They showed the results of a worst case scenario but quoted the numbers at the low ball level.  Didn't make much sense to me.  But overall the show was one of the best I've seen for expressing the level of threat we are facing.

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:10pm

Watcher4 you should really go to the first topic on this list for new comers. It is set up just for people like you who are new to bird flu and full of very well informed people willing to help you understand the possibilities in event of a pandemic and what you can do to help yourself get through it.

Welcome!

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:14pm

wacher4.

Hi and welcome. There is thread for new folks I suggest you read it too. Some of this stuff gets pretty heavy.

You will get many opinions on your post   Listen well to all who reply and after it's all said... make up your own mind.

My answer... I don't know. The prolific mutation has not been officially documented. The potential seriously exists for this to happen. Societal break down. I don't think it will happen. Humans are adaptable and remarkably capable of great evil and great good.  I side with the good.

I do suggest  you make time to go looking at some of the prepping information on this site as you make your own decision. Decide for yourself.   -K

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 8:09am

Good Point Sophia,

They did cover the Worst Case Senario. There are 4 other sub-types that could drift to H2H and if they do their pathogenicity could be from mild to severe.

P.S. It was interesting to see the power grid was still operational throughout the senario.

Also, they mentioned that towns and cities that are infected would be closed off to incoming and outgoing traffic. That doesn't seem possible just from a logistics point of view.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic