Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any New Info on Potassium Iodide Versus Potassium
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Any New Info on Potassium Iodide Versus Potassium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any New Info on Potassium Iodide Versus Potassium
    Posted: December 07 2008 at 2:52pm
Any new information on which lasts longer in storage and which one is better to take. Potassium Iodide Versus Potassium Iodate?

I know there are some of you out there that are up to date on this stuff!! I am trying to pick brains before I purchase some of this stuff.

Anyone have any idea HOW LONG we would have to take this stuff if India and Pakistan go after each other or if some terriorist decides to dirty bomb one of our cities?
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 3:09pm
Potassium that you find at any drug store, is a trace mineral, your body needs every day to keep your heart beat regular for one thing. Stress can burn it out of the system, and it can cause irregular heartbeats, and even death if you are too depleted of it. Every kit for home should have some, in a bad situation we may not be able to get it into our diets because of lack of foods such as banannas that have it naturally occuring in them.
Ptassium Iodide is a thyroidd blocking agent, used  to stop our bodies from taking in radioactive Iodine from nuclear weapons or nuclear waste in the case of a melt down from a reactor. Many cities near reactors have given their residents the Potassium Iodide to help them in the case of release of radiation.
For radiation, you would use the Potassium Iodide. You need to get a special strength, I see U.S.P. 130 mg. IOSAT is the brand the US government uses and can be purchased on line. It will come in packs for indiviiduals, each pack contains fourteen pills, in a bubble pack, one pill to be taken each day. I believe the cost is around fifteen bucks per pack. They will have a use by date on them, and when you buy them, it is usually seven years from purchase.
The two things, are very different.
Some people will try to say that Seaweed, or Kelp is a strong source of Iodine and can be used, it is a good source of Iodine, but can NOT be used as protection in any type of nuclear attack. I Hope this helps.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 7:18pm
I see U.S.P. 130 mg. IOSAT is the brand the US government uses and can be purchased on line.
.......................................................................................

Are there any Canadian members or others...who can tell us of a reliable on line pharmacy? with good pricing?  Wondering is there a shelf life on it? 10 yrs?
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 10:31pm
Check out this website:  http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Potassium_Iodide_KI_and_Potassium_Iodate_KIO3_Radioprotective_Agents/potassiumIodide/

"Potassium iodide (KI) and potassium iodate (KIO3) are compounds that can deliver usable, stable iodine to the body. Both forms can be equally effective but vary somewhat in taste and dosage (See ConsumerTips™: What to Consider when Buying for more information about the forms and brands)."

I bought mine on-line and didn't need a prescription.

See also:  http://www.nukepills.com/potassium-iodate-vs-potassium-iodide.html

"iodide is also superior from an “effectiveness” standpoint.  Iodide breaks down and is absorbed by the body much faster and more thoroughly compared to iodate."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 10:37pm
Thank you Elver...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 4:12pm
Thank you Elver, I will be purchasing Iodide ASAP. I just know some nut is going to do something dumb with Nukes and I want to be prepared.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 11:41pm
This is a link to buy what the government buys. It is cheaper then I thought, because I always buy two at time, you can adjust it to kid dose and doses for pets also.

click below, should take you to the site to purchase.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 7:13pm
Thank you abcdefg!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 11:18am
Originally posted by abcdefg abcdefg wrote:

This is a link to buy what the government buys. It is cheaper then I thought, because I always buy two at time, you can adjust it to kid dose and doses for pets also.

click below, should take you to the site to purchase.

How effective is the Potassium? During several things I have done I have had to wear a Rad badge. One guy maxed his and we were in this one area and they told him he was done for life working near anything radioactive.

Here is some rad data for you

Effects of Radiation Levels on the Human Body

Dose-rem Effects
5-20 Possible late effects; possible chromosomal damage.
20-100 Temporary reduction in white blood cells.
100-200 Mild radiation sickness within a few hours: vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue; reduction in resistance to infection.
200-300 Serious radiation sickness effects as in 100-200 rem and hemorrhage; exposure is a Lethal Dose to 10-35% of the population after 30 days (LD 10-35/30).
300-400 Serious radiation sickness; also marrow and intestine destruction; LD 50-70/30.
400-1000 Acute illness, early death; LD 60-95/30.
1000-5000 Acute illness, early death in days; LD 100/10.

I was told I have received enough rads from cat scans I should glow in the dark. My radiologist was pretty ticked when he went over the ones done for me for the cancer.

At Hiroshima a dose equal to or greater than 450 rads (4.5 grays) extended to almost 1 mi (1.6 km). About half of the persons exposed to this dose in a short time will die within a few weeks, so that persons in this area who were not protected by heavy building walls experienced severe hazard from radiation. This is about the same distance for severe hazards from blast and thermal effects. The prompt radiation exposure falls off more rapidly with distance than the blast effect which, in turn, falls more rapidly than the intensity of thermal radiation. For an explosion much larger than 15 or 20 kT, the hazard range from thermal radiation or blast will be larger than that from prompt radiation, and prompt radiation will be a relatively unimportant effect. For much smaller yields, this order of importance will be reversed.

The bomb used at Hiroshima was fairly low megatons. Tactical nukes are not considered classical nuclear weapons.

So, lets assume you were hit with 200 rads - how effective would potassium be?

MC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 11:08pm
Good question MC! I live over 30 miles from Denver and I figure if Denver was hit with a nuke we would not survive. I am more worried about fall out from other nations and if a dirty bomb goes off.
Iowa102 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 3:00am
So, lets assume you were hit with 200 rads - how effective would potassium be?

I think that is an inappropriate application of the potassium. I may be wrong (getting old) but here’s how I think of it. Radiation comes in a wide range of frequencies and has primary and secondary affects. Potassium only protects from the secondary radiation from the particles of fallout that are inhaled into the body. It has no affect on the body for primary radiation. That would be a little like thinking that sunscreen (protection from the primary radiation of sunlight) would protect you from getting burned by objects heated by sunlight (secondary emission) such as walking barefoot on hot sand. Only in your case you seem to want something intended to protect from the secondary emissions from fallout to protect from rads from all sources. It doesn’t work like that.

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 3:21am
Hi everyone.. I too placed a order for Iosat. Better to be safe than sorry! It's cheap enough,plus we live about 75 miles away from a nuke plant here in NYS. Thanks again for all the good info! Anyone else getting it?
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 2:12pm
All people need iodine, if you do not get it from your diet your body, will take it from the enviroment. It is often radio active. So using kelp helps you to maintain the iodine level you body needs to be healthy, and it will stop it from using the radioactive stuff in the enviroment, the sun produces radiation which is one way you would get it, radon in your home may be another.
In the event of a nuclear war, or a dirty bomb,  the idea is for you to use the iostat, to flood your thyroid gland with iodine, so that it would not  take any from the enviroment.
If you were swiming in the water used to cool a nuclear reactor iostat is not going to save you. If you are sitting at ground zero, only God can save you.
The biggest customer for iostat is the Government of the United States of America, what does that say? They buy it by the hundreds of thousands of doses.
As technology has improved so has weaponry, and even nukes now days are designed more to hit accurate targets rather then destroy the planet. A PHD who worked at Oakridge Nuclear site, wrote a book, about surving a nuclear war. Not something, I think I would even want to do. However, it evidently can be done, if you know what to do. Check this out, the guy is so generous, that his only goal is to help mankind, you can read his book, at no cost to you.  Most survivor types have it, and have read it. I will get a copy of it, and put a link up, so you can read it, it has everything known about it, from buidling a shelter in a hurry, various kinds of shelters, food, medicine without a Dr., dentisry withot a dentist. Very informative.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 2:57pm
Cool, I would love to have the link to this book. I will keep checking to see what the link is. Thanks abcdefg.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 10:59am
Here are a couple links worth having on a survival web site. This first one, shows the routes used to transport Nuclear waste. If anyone is on that rounte line, I would have a plan. Nuclear Waste Transportation Routes - U.S.

Here is the book, this is very interesting and it is free. Look to the far left, you will see the various chapters, the medical stuff would apply to any situation. App. C: A Homemade Fallout Meter, the KFM - Nuclear War Survival Skills, Free 280 pg Book On-Line! Anti-Radiation Pill FAQ! P...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic