Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flu continues to spread across the U.S. April 2009
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Flu continues to spread across the U.S. April 2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flu continues to spread across the U.S. April 2009
    Posted: March 19 2009 at 7:14pm
comment: the flu season is NOT over - in fact it is spreading. Talked to my sister and she is so down with it she can't even talk. So let's cut to the chase.. Despite the horse whisperer reports from official sources... the flu infections are on the rise.. let's document this...

http://weather.weatherbug.com/cold-flu/flu-outbreak.html

National Weekly Flu Update

so what is with ... well we are all done with the flu this year?

Once again the ERs tell the story.. and most of all my friends who work in them.

Why are we not hearing this on the media? Mild flu season.. check the reds.. it is in 49 out of 50 states (not red but widespread-a lot- and regional. I need to get more links.. Anyone wanna dig deeper on this.. look at the lag time.. this chart just went up today.

March 13, 2009
UPDATED By WeatherBug Meteorologist, Dustin Devine

After a brief decline last week, the overall number of influenza cases rose again while the number of states reporting widespread and regional influenza activity continues to grow according to the newest report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The national number of positive flu tests rose to 23.0%, up from last week`s 21.2%, and 49 of the 50 states report widespread or regional activity.

Every state along the East Coast is reporting widespread flu with the exception of Massachusetts and Maryland - - New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida - - are reporting widespread conditions. In addition, widespread flu conditions are found in Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, South Dakota, Iowa, Indiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Ohio.

Another 16 states report regional flu activity. These states are: Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

One state, Utah, plus the District of Columbia is reporting local influenza activity, while sporadic activity is now reported only in Puerto Rico.

Every week throughout the flu season, WeatherBug will provide updates on the latest flu outbreaks. Be sure to check back to get the latest flu report in your area.

The CDC recommends that high risk groups, which include the elderly and children less than 23 months of age, get vaccinated on a yearly basis.

In addition to vaccines, there are other things that can be done to minimize your risk for contracting the flu:

• Avoid close contact with those who are sick.
  • Avoid exposing others when you are sick. Stay home from work or school if you are exhibiting symptoms.
  • Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
  • Wash your hands frequently.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
comment: Users I keep checking the dates on these links over and over. Trying to be sure these aren't old outbreaks and I keep seeing March 2009 and according to the map.. its everywhere in the U.S.

Medclinician

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 7:47pm
Medclinician, I have run many "Flu Test" on many of my patients with flu like symptoms, They have all returned "negative" can you explain this? If it is the flu that is makeing people so sick? Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

Medclinician, I have run many "Flu Test" on many of my patients with flu like symptoms, They have all returned "negative" can you explain this? If it is the flu that is makeing people so sick? Johnray1

John, this certainly disturbed me.. so I went to source.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

I am thinking this was just put up.. because I sure didn't see it before. It is dated the 7th but I am picking it up as being posted today in some places. One thing is for certain. The CDC map is the last place they would exaggerate at all. Usually it would be lower.

I hear somebody official last month saying the flu season was over. As I have posted like three times, I called my sister in California and her husband said she was so bad she couldn't talk. She took the phone anyway and could only talk to me about 3 minutes. She said every time she would talk it would make her talk. I am NO DOCTOR. But I did take respiratory assessment at Stanford refresh stuff - and she has a moderate productive cough.. real thick real deep and is running a 101 fever.

On talking to Bluebird- Skye.. poor little guy is once again running a temp and he is lung fragile.. he can't deal with this stuff.

I hear it in people at ER and also at the bus station.. a lot.

Its the CDC maps that looks nasty. I had been waiting for the jump of H3N2 and H1N1 and that influenza they missed on the vaccine to hop from London to hear. It was moving across Europe, all over France...U.K. then silence.

Well, that just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I read a second article which said a second strain was hitting and would pull us into April with infections.

You are on the front line. So I guess check what all that Widespread stuff means. It is in West Virginia according to their map.

Here's a contact for you

Oh, and of course to get this widespread stuff someone's tests must be coming back positive. Bluebird says her friends have it.

I just about live at the lab and hardly ever go home. So- I haven't been exposed that much.

Medclinician

comment: This one could pass for pneumonia- deep lobe... I have been holed up writing so haven't been going out at all. A hermit. Maybe that was a good idea.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 9:47pm

Medclinician, I have run many "Flu Test" on many of my patients with flu like symptoms, They have all returned "negative" can you explain this? If it is the flu that is making people so sick? Johnray1

First this is a truly excellent page...

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

let's look at this stuff

So, first question - what are you testing for? H5? unlikely- nobody is testing for H5 are they?  H3- that would probably give you just a few- look at the reds- H1N1- oddly enough. that is not a big hitter really- It the Influenza A is it- wasn't there two strains... (I am not a virologist - didn't they blow it on which one to put it because it was TOO EXPENSIVE to put in 4 - so they guessed what was it? Wisconsin and it turned out to be the other?

(Its late.. so you might want to check these strains... ) meaning I'm starting to head towards dawn here.. and that equals exhausted..

here's a present for you hard core data intensive people and health professionals that can read powerpoint. It is pretty good stuff. Some of it is laymen.. some of it gets a little deeper.. the variant drift is pretty interesting.. we are not terrific on our vaccine hit - batting average you would use out of 7 seasons we blew 5 and scored two. Every year the strain would drift and we would miss it.

http://www.vata.us/educational/09symposiumpresentations/Is_It_a_Cold.ppt.

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 11:17pm
Medclinician,I am fully aware that the test that we are given to run,may not be the correct test,but it is the flu test that we ordered and it is that test that we run.----I learned many years ago to not to trust everything that the government gives to us. I am also an "Agent Orange" patient at the VA in Beckley and I never asked to be on their list, but I am.I may be testing for the wrong virus,but ALL of my test are negative. If you can help me (and by doing so would help my patients) I will order any test that might provide positive results. These are very obviously, very sick, patients ,but they test negative on my flu test.Any help would be greatly appriciated. I have not lost any one yet,but it is just a matter of time. I will not tell you where I work,but it is in the center of an area that should give true results.Johnray1
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 11:20pm
Medclincian,I found out today that a teenager had died of the flu and it is the same area that I work every day and I have gotten all NEGATIVE results,so something seems wrong. Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 11:38pm
I imagine they say the season is over due to that sudden drop in cases at week 9.

Going over the power point report... (I'm real tired myself)

so far,

Imagine... the vaccine they want all the young people living cheek to jowel in nursery
schools and colleges to take, is a live vaccine FluMist ... pardon the expression, snorted.  I find it disturbing.

I posted this Oct. 2008...

Preservative facts on vaccines

source-
http://www.fda.gov

AFluria
Thimerosal, a mercury derivative, is added as a preservative; each 0.5 mL dose contains 24.5 mcg of mercury.
inactivated

Fluarix
also contains octoxynol-10 (TRITON® X-100) ≤0.120 mg, α-tocopheryl hydrogen succinate ≤0.1 mg, and polysorbate 80 (Tween 80) ≤0.380 mg. The vaccine is formulated without preservatives. Thimerosal is used at the early stages of manufacture and is removed by subsequent purification steps to a trace amount (≤1 mcg mercury per dose). Each dose may also contain residual amounts of hydrocortisone ≤0.0016 mcg, gentamicin sulfate ≤0.15 mcg, ovalbumin ≤1 mcg, formaldehyde ≤50 mcg, and sodium deoxycholate ≤50 mcg from the manufacturing process.
inactivated

FluLaval
Each 0.5–mL dose contains a total of 45 micrograms (mcg) hemagglutinin from the 3 influenza virus types in the vaccine. Thimerosal, a mercury derivative, is added as a preservative. Each 0.5 mL dose contains 25 mcg mercury.
inactivated

FluMist

Each pre-filled refrigerated FluMist sprayer contains a single 0.2 mL dose. Each 0.2 mL dose contains 106.5-7.5 FFU of

live attenuated influenza virus
reassortants of each of the three strains:

A/South Dakota/6/2007 (H1N1)

(A/Brisbane/59/2007-like),

A/Uruguay/716/2007 (H3N2)

(A/Brisbane/10/2007-like), and

B/Florida/4/2006 [1].

Each 0.2 mL dose also contains 0.188 mg/dose monosodium glutamate,

2.00 mg/dose hydrolyzed porcine gelatin,

2.42 mg/dose arginine,

13.68 mg/dose sucrose,

2.26 mg/dose dibasic potassium phosphate,

0.96 mg/dose monosodium phosphate, and

<0.015 mcg/mL gentamicin sulfate.

FluMist contains no preservatives.

porcine (pig) gelatin

Currently, the incidence of anaphylactic reactions to the hydrolyzed porcine gelatin is very low (approximately 1 case per 2 million doses) [4].

In contrast, use of non-hydrolyzed gelatin in vaccine formulations by Japanese vaccine makers in the past led to higher incidence of gelatin-specific immediate-type hypersensitivity reactions in vaccinated subjects in Japan [6-10].

this from....

wikipedia

Lung inflammation and asthma

The Mayo Clinic web page on L-arginine reports that it can increase lung inflammation and worsen asthma.

Growth hormone

Arginine increases the production of growth hormone.[9] Reports of its effects on male muscular development are not clearly proven.

FDA to approve FluMist for Infants - Only 3% Require Hospitalization  
Gentamicin sulfate is added early in the manufacturing process during .... Would you let a 6 month-old child snort 3 strains of live influenza virus? ...

Aug 2008

KNOX COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT - Tenn

Offering free Flumist vaccine.
To all children age 2 to 19

School FluMist Project Student Consent Form and
Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine Immunization Nursing Record

U.%20S.%20map%20for%20Weekly%20Influenza%20Activity

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 8:22pm

Medclincian,I found out today that a teenager had died of the flu and it is the same area that I work every day and I have gotten all NEGATIVE results,so something seems wrong. Johnray1

Okay- first same old disclaimers - not a doc here- and also keeping in mind people are reading these posts and want to keep things on the ground tech wise to be informative and not painful.

First assuming this is what you are doing... this is what they did to me when I had 'the flu' was in isolation and they tested me.. we will stop there as far the rest of that story.. but it went like this..

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=95265

What Flu Tests Will My Doctor Use?

Most of the time, a flu diagnosis is made by the person's symptoms. In some cases, your doctor may also run flu tests to make an accurate flu diagnosis. These tests usually involve taking a swab from your mouth and culturing this to identify the flu virus. Rapid flu tests may give your doctor results in about five to 30 minutes. Your doctor may prefer to use a rapid flu test before prescribing flu drugs, which must be taken within 48 hours of the first flu symptoms.

interesting info: 

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/flu-tests-detect-specific-viruses

What does the flu test detect?

Some rapid flu tests detect only influenza A virus. Others can detect both influenza A and influenza B viruses. Still, some cases of the flu may be missed by the rapid tests.

question: are these quickie tests or standard 48 run or whatever? 

note: There are specific protocols and recognized almost written in stone diagnostic regimes doctors must follow in most states. At Stanford, where I trained for some of my medical training - we worked with a lot of interns and residents and I won't get into this to deeply..had to ride herd on some so they wouldn't write scripts that were lethal or do something way out there.

You are limited by the viral tests typically used and to order something obscure or often times, simply not available is going to raise eyebrows. So what do we have going strain wise this flu season -  March 20, 2009 - data from CDC...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Virtually all cases of the most common strain of flu circulating in the United States now resist the main drug used to treat it, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Monday.

CDC researchers said 98 percent of all flu samples from the H1N1 strain were resistant to Roche AG's Tamiflu, a pill that can both treat flu and prevent infection. Four patients infected with the resistant strain have died, including two children.

This year, H1N1 is the most common strain of flu in the United States

comment: this not a suggestion of diagnosis or treatment which can only be done by a licensed M.D. This is for general information only

http://www.clpmag.com/clprime/2008-09-24_13.asp

Quidel Influenza Test Selected for FluSTAR(R) Surveillance Program

Quidel Corporation (NASDAQ:QDEL), a leading provider of rapid point-of-care (POC) diagnostic tests, announced that the QuickVue brand Influenza A+B test is the rapid flu test selected by Roche for use in over 400 physician offices participating in the FluSTAR surveillance program during the 2008-09 season.

FluSTAR is a comprehensive influenza surveillance network sponsored since 1999 by Roche and developed by SDI to provide healthcare professionals and the public with the most up-to-date information on the spread of flu during the influenza season. Data obtained through influenza reporting is communicated to consumers and healthcare providers via www.FluSTAR.com. Additionally, data is published yearly through abstracts and posters at meetings like ICAAC/IDSA and used by various other groups to share influenza information (Employers' Group Launches FluSTAR System).

"Quidel can extend its reach to physicians who will recognize the benefits of prompt type-specific influenza diagnoses for their own practice as well as enhance information in their own communities and to one of the largest surveillance networks in the country," said Caren Mason, president and CEO of Quidel Corporation. Roche is the manufacturer of Tamiflu(R), the leading antiviral medication that can shorten the duration of the flu if taken within 12 to 48 hours of the onset of symptoms.

The QuickVue brand Influenza tests, which outsell the nearest competitor 3 to 1 in the United States in the physician office lab, offer a quick (10 minutes or less), convenient and accurate method to aid in the diagnosis of influenza infection.

comment: This is the type of thing which we would have thrust in our pockets while attending symposiums with multiple pharmaceutical "lobbyists". Mistaken for an MD I had to chase several enthusiastic pocket thrusters down and return their wares.  So, without needing to suggest.. this is hype and product may or may not live up to the claims of the manufacturer.

comment: for monitoring your zip code area for flu outbreak you may find this useful

http://flustar.com/

final weird comments: it may be the strain circulating is immuno suppressant. There may not be a commonly used viral test which can see this pathogen. Perhaps this data maybe useful to you and informative to readers.

Medclinician

Loribearme View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loribearme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 8:47am
I read somewhere that the flu virus is really a subtype of mold spore.  If the flu tests are neg. then try testing for fungi or mold.      If they take tests of the person's caughed up mucas  and look at it through a microscope.  Could it be a new form of bacteria?  A new form of something.   The government wants to depopulate the world - one way is covert means.   The tests are showing neg because its something new.   Why are there these deep underground cities made for?    The world's population cannot all fit down there so you can bet that the CDC and WHO could not care less about it.    
coleyounger666 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coleyounger666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 9:12am
Historical records since the 16th century suggest that new influenza pandemics may appear at any time of year, not necessarily in the familiar annual winter patterns of interpandemic years

In the 1918–1919 pandemic, a first or spring wave began in March 1918
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 11:20am
I know this is against the norm, but I'd rather not use rapid flu tests.  In 2006 and 2007, rapid flu tests results on patients with Influenza like illnesses came up negative. When I highly suspected Influenza  and got a negative rapid flu test, I took a throat swab (culture for viral isolate) per volunteer flu surveillance cultures came back positive.  As I have said before in posts on here, in our area, the majority positive viral isolates have been Influenza A, H3N2.  Same this year, although my reports say Influenza A, H3.  I dont get the N part of the test.  Not sure why I did before but not this year.  This years culture media will pick up H5N1.(the media changed this year)  I am expecting more flu reports to come in next week.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 11:36am
Coleyounger- I too have been reading about 1918 per CDC information on the Spanish Flu and the Spring wave.  I do wonder if we are in a pre pandemic phase when I see the mild bird flu cases in Egypt,  the letal cases in Viet nam, and seasonal influenza cropping up in the spring.  I dont want to come across as a paranoid fear monger, that is not my intention.  However, I am very curious and interested given that it is now Spring. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 8:09am
Originally posted by norein norein wrote:

Coleyounger- I too have been reading about 1918 per CDC information on the Spanish Flu and the Spring wave.  I do wonder if we are in a pre pandemic phase when I see the mild bird flu cases in Egypt,  the letal cases in Viet nam, and seasonal influenza cropping up in the spring.  I dont want to come across as a paranoid fear monger, that is not my intention.  However, I am very curious and interested given that it is now Spring. 

Hello Norein - IMHO some really good info in your posts. Food for thought in terms of quickie flu tests which may miss a new strain which I have posted about on other threads. We can get all med techie, but more than a year ago we had this event -

The change in the human N1 in H1N1 is identical to the avian/human N1 change in H5N1.  Both N1’s have created H274Y .... H.  Despite of the mussing and fussing - this part is solid.

We are looking at trouble. An Avian and 1918 Pandemic recombination as opposed to reassortment. Dr. Webster is big on reassortment. .gov is coming around to recombo -And 'others' are big on recombinations. For the quickie laymen for the compleate bottom line - you are  crossing poor spreader high path with extremely nasty airborne high spreader. And though H. could do this better - in reassort the virus takes its own stuf and scoots it around to make something the body doesn't recognize in any more. In Recombo - two viruses swap their innards making a new strain. Method or madness... this probably happened - did happen when Tamiflu became the new penicillin (penVK though the favorite of Dentists IMHO (un-doctor) is a left over from the 40s which keeps being pumped up and which a lot of bacteria eat for breakfast (- about 99% worth less while being still trumpeted by its makes as being effective. http://www.fpnotebook.com/ID/Pharm/PnclnsRstntPncln.htm  Yes, they keep trying new flavors which beat that, but the bacteria keeps finding new ways to get around it.

I am walking on holy ground here. Big money people own big parts of Tamiflu and China has big interests in Relenza. Also Relenza is not an easy stop and drop- it is messy to administer and we can't just but a quick and dirty 200,000,000 doses. If we had- guess what - it would be kind of useless at this point to have a world full of pills and blankets with a new strain which would become the dominant strain in time- which not only didn't cure the disease, but mask the tests for it.

This foreshadows a Pandemic strain. Just a little bit of a shove up the upper airway for contagion like the common cold airborne, and enter 63% CFR (official WHO numbers) and you have a Pandemic.

Let look at some non H. data on H274Y.

inconsistency:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12103431

Virus carrying a H274Y mutation is unlikely to be of clinical consequence in man. Copyright 2002 Elsevier Science BV.

comment: absolutely false. We've come a long way since that one went up. About 7 years and 99% resistance.

reality:

my post last year..

http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20991&OB=ASC as per CIDRAP documentation.

We've know this for years.. actually back to 2005 and continued to recommend Tamiflu as the drug of choice for treatment of Avian Flu.. why...

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/jan1807tamiflu.html

To avoid double posting, have been tracking this here.. especially since January of this year..

http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21647

Yet with all due respect to Dr. H.N. who I speak to on the phone fairly frequently, we need to pull the this from the world of Recombo- to main stream science documentation- i.e. formal hard core peer reviewed published research.

We cannot get NIH or CDC  or anybody else on board including .gov in our development of a vaccine with some real solid ground in addition to verbose possibles from Egypt. (with all due respect once more) - solid science as to guessy maybes and iffy possibles. We can make lists of iffy possibles from Egypt - when in one season I could only confirm 5 cases in months.

And lastly - without sounding the alarm - what is this stuff spreading across the U.S. widespread geographically with a lot of red states?  Did H3N2 and noro jump from Europe and nobody was willing to confirm it?

Release a tweak on sequence on H1N1 (which we were supposed to have herd immunity) and many of us got Hong Kong Flu.

Seriously, write about what you know. And for a lot of us with the flu x14 episodes, we are writing about what we know. The curse of nursing. You and just about everything pathogenic gets  to live together everyday.

So - back to point.. how do we track Henry's notorious Egyptian events much followed by some and much doubted by others - we go solid science - mainstream - peer review - in every legend there is truth. And in the recombo legend - despite enthusiast lists of possibles - there is big trouble in not so little Egypt.

Time to wrap this post and proceed to links and documents on the thread.

Medclinician

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:19am
Week 10 - CDC

National and Regional Summary of Select Surveillance Components

Region
Data for current week Data cumulative for the season
Out-patient ILI* % positive for flu† Number of jurisdictions reporting regional or widespread activity‡ A (H1) A (H3) A Unsub-typed B Pediatric Deaths
Nation Elevated 21.7 % 48 of 51 4895 492 8641 5797 32
New England Elevated 17.7 % 6 of 6 380 62 993 551 1
Mid-Atlantic Elevated 23.6 % 3 of 3 495 52 845 534 7
East North Central Elevated 53.9 % 5 of 5 814 58 133 523 2
West North Central Elevated 22.2 % 7 of 7 665 21 770 409 0
South Atlantic Elevated 25.0 % 7 of 9 872 52 1454 1224 3
East South Central Elevated 19.5 % 4 of 4 148 6 37 74 1
West South Central Normal 20.0 % 4 of 4 560 38 3462 2007 9
Mountain Elevated 16.3 % 7 of 8 444 124 634 164 7
Pacific Elevated 17.8 % 5 of 5 517 79 313 311 2

* Elevated means the % of visits for ILI is at or above the national or region-specific baseline
               † National data is for current week; regional data is for the most recent three weeks.
               ‡ Includes all 50 states and the District of Columbia

comment: depsite comments on the site we are still in full bore flu season with 48 out of 51 states reporting widespread or regional flu outbreaks.

Despite statement that is not epidemic 21% of the population have it.

>posting<

Medclinician
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 11:11am
My entire family just got over the flu.  Our pediatrician said that this year she has seen most all of her families have back to back illnesses since January.  I find that pretty normal considering usually we get sick in Dec and in Feb or so around our house with small kids.  This year we didn't get sick until Jan so we just had a lot back to back.  The flu was very mild for my family and none of us got the flu shots.  We had high fevers, headaches, some aches and pains, and lethargy.  my kids got steamed every night, had humidifiers, extra doses of vitamin C and Elderberry juice and had vicks and medicine when necessary.  we all did really well and even though it was long at 7 days or so, we managed and did fine through it...and now are immunicities are up.  I don't think the late flu bug season indicates anything abnormal, just that it got a late start.  Even the news over seas seems light to me comparatively speaking to a few years back.  I think we are fine and there is nothing to indicate otherwise right now :)  Just my opinion though!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:23pm
Despite various statements as of week 11 Ending March 21 (the latest stats I could get we still have flu and it is still widespread in many states.

It is almost April and the flu is still not over. It is difficult to get more recent maps.

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2009 at 3:27pm
Despite various statements as of week 11 Ending March 21 (the latest stats I could get we still have flu and it is still widespread in many states. A little bit of a mixup on what Week 11 is but this is more current.  M.C.

since we are having problems getting this map to display from our site - appears to be functional now.

here is original source...

http://tinyurl.com/ckvvc4

It is almost April and the flu is still not over. It is difficult to get more recent maps.

May we all breath a sigh of relief if the flu season is almost over and we can just settle back to worrying about Avian Flu and Norovirus, and of course the 3 current Pandemics
Marlaria, TB, and Dengue Fever.

John - Medclinician

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 3:04pm
Something is going around here in Oklahoma! I just got back from the doctor and I have Bronchitis and Scarlet Fever from a strept infection. They did bloodwork and took a chest x-ray. Didn't say anything about the flu though.  I feel bad though.
Levygoddess View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 5:49pm
Penham Im so sad you are so sick. Please take care...Scarlet Fever?!!! I agree something is wrong around here too...Ive heard of too many people with some really bad pneumonia and some are dying.
God put us here for a reason
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Something is going around here in Oklahoma! I just got back from the doctor and I have Bronchitis and Scarlet Fever from a strept infection. They did bloodwork and took a chest x-ray. Didn't say anything about the flu though.  I feel bad though.

Penham - you take care. There is a lot floating around out there, and the efforts to pin down what is going on "outside" flu season aren't that great.

Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Penham - you take care. There is a lot floating around out there, and the efforts to pin down what is going on "outside" flu season aren't that great.

I've moved my rant to the end of his post mercifully - here is what you need to know...

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0309/606453.html

Mutated Strain Of Flu Impacting Oklahoma Now

03/23/09 3:44 pm   |   reporter: Tracy Watler   producer: Kevin King

Follow%20NewsChannel%208%20on%20Twitter

Are you or your kids sick with the flu? Doctors say it has finally hit Oklahoma and this year, it's different.

While not as severe, the most common flu strain has mutated and doctors say they've seen a lot of it recently. Over the past several weeks, clinics have gone from seeing two or three cases a week to five a day.

comment: odd for a flu that is on the decline on the charts and graphs.

Doctors tell us the flu has finally hit Oklahoma although it's considered very late in the season. In fact, the flu season usually ends in April.

patient:

Kim Cotterman has all the symptoms.

"I'm really congested, don't have any appetite and I feel really run down," she says.

But she does NOT have the flu. She has a sinus infection.

comment: classic euphemism and why flu is not being reported in many cases. One look, tests not even a a CBC - here's some salt nose spray and go pick up aspirin. 

And, at Urgent Care Clinic, doctors say they're seeing a sharp increase in sick folks nowadays, especially those with the flu.

patient:

Angela Burkhart DOES have it.

"Body aches, ears hurt, throat's burning, on fire."

Dr. Steve Nussbaum says they usually see numbers like these in December or January.

"It's been late and we're seeing it now," he says. "We started it seeing a few weeks before spring break."

It's the same story at St. John Urgent Care.

"Definitely over last six weeks we've seen an explosion of influenza and much later in the season than typical," says Dr. Jason Lepak.

Lepak says it's later than usual and less severe. But, there is one problem fighting it.

"One thing we've noticed this year is that the influenza types, type A seems to be resistant to some of the antiviral medicines that we typically use," Lepak says.

comment: anotherwards Tamiflu is useless against it.

The flu has mutated to a point where drugs like Tamiflu aren't helping. That's not good news for people like Angela.

Luckily, doctors say there are other medicines out there besides Tamiflu that can help ease symptoms. But, it's important you get to your doctor quickly because they don't work if you've already had it for several days.

comment: such as?

rant warning - skip this if you just want the hard core news... MC

For one the word Flu - is beyond nebulous. No doubt, tech wise have our HxNy varieties - coming from one of the mother's of all flus - H1N1 - 1918 - probably -

We have a series of catch all diagnosis which are just about as useful as Flu. My not-favorite is Pneumonia. When I was in pre-med Micro my teacher was all stressed because I think we were using blood agar a medium- and someone in class definitely was misting us all with pneumonia and it ended up on my plate.

You know pneumonia through a microscope - old fashioned Bausch & Lomb (binocular - a luxury in those days) was pretty straight out.

Here is the pneumonia that I was born and bred with, had, and was the classic 'old persons friend." Taking the old out that were just oldsters and it was time to dumb them as GOMERS (get out of my emergency room)  cause we all die and you are blocking the beds for the youngsters who are more important because they have their "whole live's ahead of them.'  http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/Website/pnebact.htm

Well enough of that and Soylent Green and euthanasia and we Baby Boomers at 60 are clogging up the system. So we get palliative treatment, antibiotics for viruses, and weak miles and this deep eye contact doctor look which is like 'doing the best I can bud- but well you got to kick the bucket sometimes."

Pneumonia, almost as Dengue is a misdiagnosis favorite to hide Avian. You don't have to report pneumonia, so we don't have a clue when the viral swabs are using are not catching the real deal.

My mother died of pneumonia?  I don't buy it. They didn't test her. she was 78 years old- and you bring in a child coughing and ill and the earth moves. We have worked on kid for 30 minutes for we called the code - and I have run code teams. Take two, some grandmother with a lot of problems, couple of hundreds of joules on a Vtach- no extraordinary measures. We had a term in ICU - it was called the 'slow code.'

I do no do slow codes. We are told in ACLU not to shock flatlines. Well.. shame shame.. we have shocked some and they came back and are alive and didn't die.

We are getting far too many dunnos in ER these days. It is getting beyond what a human can do to know enough to evaluate humans and soon AI and machines will be our doctors.

The problem with the 'Flu' spreading across the U.S. Pretty simple. Number one - THE FLU is not so easy to tag anymore. I have seen a lot of people go down and wheeled that stretcher to the morgue.

And the question when you go in there exactly with their training and virus tech and prions which many don't have a clue about enough to diagnose you with.

So there she goes again - my dearly beloved Bluebird or my son - ER - coughing - DEEP lung crud that is supposed to be gone and out comes the Z-pack.

So those with endurance - here's the deal -

and an answer -

stay tuned - he flu season may be over - but that stubborn flu has decided to ignore those soothing euphemisms and continues to be widespread in many states.
Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by coleyounger666 coleyounger666 wrote:

Historical records since the 16th century suggest that new influenza pandemics may appear at any time of year, not necessarily in the familiar annual winter patterns of interpandemic years

In the 1918–1919 pandemic, a first or spring wave began in March 1918

Cole I almost never in over a thousand posts use this one but

Clap

That data on 1918 and the month it started is a find. We have been Vigorously discussing this whole 'flu season' spin for years.

Yes, it gets cold and yes more people get sick but just like Norovirus - we are starting to see  perennial flu. This is only the beginning of a year round constant battle against anti-viral resistant nasty strains which will eventually launch the Pandemic.

John A.  Medclincian
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 6:43am
Still online and monitoring.

Seems we have lost a few posts on this thread.

Medclinician
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 9:16am
Ok, guys, I was back in the ER in the middle of the night, I just could not breathe, could not get any air, even after giving myself breathing treatments at home at 4:30pm, 8:30pm, and 2:30am. On Zithromax and prednisone. I couldn't get any air, I had to have my hubby take me in. They gave me a steroid shot, a steroid breathing treatment, 2 other types of breathing treamtents and then called in a prescription. Which I we are going to go pick up now. I need to get rid of this and it's just getting worse.
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 11:12am
Penham, I am so sorry.Respiratory infections are so scary.I just heard of a 20 year old dying of pneumonia which, to me sounds really odd.Please be sure to stay on top of it!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 1:09pm
Hope you feel much better soon...

I had to take Mucinex... 1200 mg they are a type of time release pill, over the counter...

It is helping.  Seems things tend to hang on nowdays.
Mississippi Mama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2009 at 9:12pm
  Penham, I'm sure sorry that you are not feeling well.  I hope tomorrow you will feel a lot more relief and continue to improve everyday until you are back to your old self again.  Please keep us posted.
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 6:17pm
you may wish to skip this post: it is we are back for the attack against and Avian and ready to prep full bore. Skip to next post for what is happening on the flu.. really.

note: We are concerned enough about the Pandemic and ect. that we shut down our lab and have relocate to a safe house (of our own making). We are using a special modem which has a frozen IP- so I guess that is a plus. Our location is close enough to other "installations" it is a blur on Google Earth - along with finishing our food, medicine, and multiple preps which are detailed in PNSG. I am holded in 20x20 feet space which even has its own satellite hook. We have developed an modified form of compressed communication which is described in wrting.

data: As far as the spreading flu there are multiple strains that do even produce a fever and are immuno-suppresent. There are families that there are no tests that will come up for... and there are also molds and prions which are pathogenic.

We are nearing the home stretch for you preppers.

For many people the death of 1/3 of the world popultion would actually stimulate the, economy. For two - and proxy conflict which would increase weapons manufacture and sale, would also provide jobs and probably stop the recession.

The misdiagnosis or non-report of the flu allows to to believe it is not here.  It is.

Many of todays extremely bad illnesses cannot be treated and paitents being treated pallatively ( comfort ) The answer to a better health care systems is to see how many benifits we can cut, and how much money we don't have to help it.

Spain, and multiple other countries you are not hearing about are being hit.badly.

Point: The allegory is this - we are at the tip of the iceberg of a wave of communicative diseases which will not be treatable due to the lack of supplies.

Except for working with the medical community- we can sustain ourself, finish the writing,
and check your dates, rotate your stuff, take CPR, and prepare a tough time of it.

by the way moving is an option we had which most people do not.  We moved ourselves because we wanted privacy, and we are close to one of the major safe house in the nation. Too bad it is also a number one target for any sort of foreign attack.

We're back- but safe. Having just left one of the most toxic locations on this planet, I can actually do not have to wake up a 2 a.m. with yellow fumes in the streets and put on a gas mask.

I saved that one until we were on our own, and had mass moved our preps.

The big hoopla about the vaccine that can attack part of the virus that cannot mutant is fake. Currenty mutations and strains have found was to go right around this little gem which makes a fortune which will be useless against multiple strains.

Good to be back. Flowers in Attic we are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowers_in_the_Attic

As safe as any of us can be considereing.

Medclinician and family
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 6:35pm
hi Med... here is a new map for you...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2009 at 6:37pm
widespread has backed off from 24 states down to 11...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 2:56am
Well get ready for the second wave. Because its back.

Flu season still going strong in California

By Susan Abram, Staff Writer
Updated: 04/06/2009 11:36:30 PM PDT

California continues to report widespread cases of the flu, possibly because of a late start to an otherwise mild season, health experts said Monday.

State health officials said that while influenza often peaks in January and February, it's not unusual to see influenza in April and May. Health experts use the term "widespread" when flu cases are being seen in half of the state.

comment: would someone give us some accurate numbers on this stuff?

Still, the vaccine appeared to match well with flu strains found in California, though three statewide children died this year.

Residents in other states haven't been so lucky.

"It was a slower start, but we also have been very successful in vaccinating people and the vaccine is a better match," said Dr. Gil Chavez, epidemiologist for the state's public health department.

Cases of influenza and other respiratory illnesses have decreased in Los Angeles County.

But Chavez cautioned that even a few cases can still spread if residents don't remember to wash their hands and cover their mouths when they cough.

"The most important thing with influenza is to never predict," said Alicia Fry, medical epidemiologist with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"It's a flu year that is still puttering along."

This season's vaccine matched three of four strains, but experts also noticed that in some cases, flu germs were resistent to the most common antiviral treatment, Tamiflu.

The vaccine fornext year has already been chosen, Fry said.

"And as far as antiviral resistance patterns, we will determine that next year," she said.

Last year, the CDC released new recommendations for children from 6 months to 18 years, especially those attending school, to receive the flu shot.

Those who feel fever, sore muscles, chills, and fatigue should try to see a physician in the first 48 hours so that antivirals are more effective, according to the CDC.

About 5 percent to 20 percent of the population gets the flu in any given year. More than 200,000 people are hospitalized from complications and about 36,000 people die, according to health experts.

comment: the flu is not over and in addition we are having widespread outbreaks of norovirus in West Virginia. A whole crew of coal miners were very ill with abdominal cramping and dysentery.

This is similar to 2008 when talking to people working in government offices with a 'flu' that kept coming back and sending them hope deathly ill.

We need to get the act together of flu reporting and the incredible impotence of the medical system which does not have a test which will test positive for whatever this is.

Two children in Michigan just died. Will someone wake up and smell the coffee. It is still widespread in California someone needs to lose the whole concept of 'flu season'.

The flu may be here to stay.

an ill at 5 a.m. Medclinician

These flu deaths stories seem to just evade the main media and bounce right through the Internet. We have a problem.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 4:54am
from Nebraska... a little more than a week ago

http://nptelegraph.com/articles/2009/04/07/news/60002618.txt

Flu outbreak hits Perkins Co.

Telegraph staff reports

GRANT - Perkins County Schools has reported an extremely high absenteeism due to influenza among students in Grant. A total of 36 out of 117 students (31 percent) were absent Monday, March 30, due to diagnosed influenza or influenza-like symptoms. This information was reported to the Southwest Nebraska Public Health Department as part of their weekly school surveillance.

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 12:20pm

widespread flu is now pretty much over... the last hurrah through the end of March

But sporadic cases continue, flu can happen yr round depending on where you go or who you come in contact with. 

From Cidrap

Mar 13, 2009

Flu called widespread in 35 states

Thirty-five US states reported widespread influenza activity in the first week of March,

four more than a week earlier, and four of nine regions had an increase in medical visits for flu-like illnesses, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported today.

However, the agency said the overall level of flu activity was about the same as in the previous week. Influenza A/H1N1 viruses continued to predominate, although the proportion of influenza B viruses increased. Most H1N1 viruses tested continued to show resistance to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) but remained sensitive to other flu drugs.

The CDC said five more flu-related deaths of children were reported, in Illinois, New York, Texas, and Utah, bringing the season total to 26.

The percentage of all deaths attributed to pneumonia and flu remained below the epidemic threshold.

COLUMN: This strain of flu is just plain evil

Updated March 14, 2009 at 11:00pm
BY LOU ANN THOMAS

excerpt-

That's when you know you have it. You can no longer deny that whatever this is, it has a grip on you that makes your head feel as though it is in a vice and cement-footed gnomes are in your chest practicing for their upcoming appearance in "Riverdance."

You could swear someone has propped your eyes open and then blown the entire Sahara into them. One box of tissues is inadequate to meet your nose's needs, and juice is about the only thing you may ever consume again.

Oh, this is an evil flu that's going around. And is it ever going around. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, influenza activity is elevated all across the country, with every region reporting widespread activity. The CDC is also indicating that this is a late-breaking flu epidemic. Usually, by this time of year, flu bugs are subsiding.

article here-
http://cjonline.com/opinion/2009-03-15/column_this_strain_of_flu_is_just_plain_evil

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 1:33pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 1:38pm
During the 1918 Pandemic, the flu was raging around in September... it was widspread in Vermont during the month of October, some counties had little illness.

Grand Isle (very small area) and Essex.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Mary08 Mary08 wrote:

The CDC is also indicating that this is a late-breaking flu epidemic. Usually, by this time of year, flu bugs are subsiding.

article here-
http://cjonline.com/opinion/2009-03-15/column_this_strain_of_flu_is_just_plain_evil

Thx for more links on this.

FYI CDC says and has published data-

In terms of the flu, the difference between an outbreak and an epidemic is the percenatge of overall deaths caused by the disease. Every week, the CDC gathers morbidity data from hospitals in 122 cities nationwide and figures out what percentage of the decedents died of pneumonia, cancer, and other prolific killers. If the number of flu-caused deaths exceeds 7.7 percent of the total, then the United States officially has an epidemic on its hands. According to the latest survey, only 7.2 percent of last week's deaths were due to influenza, so there's no epidemic yet.

For diseases that cause a statistically insignificant number of deaths each week, the CDC often uses incidence data in lieu of fatality percentages. The rule of thumb for meningococcal disease, for example, is that an attack rate in excess of 15 cases per 100,000 people for two consecutive weeks constitutes a sizeable epidemic. In countries with more centralized health-care systems, such as the United Kingdom, the measurement is usually done by surveying the number of complaints made to general practitioners. In the United Kingdom, if 1,000 out of every 100,000 GP consultations are flu-related, then it's an epidemic.

The CDC doesn't have epidemic thresholds for every disease and actually tends to frown on some of the media hair-splitting over the outbreak-epidemic line. The center's online glossary states that "outbreak" can actually be used interchangeably with "epidemic" and that the former is often preferable merely because it's a less frightening term.

Medclinician

desperate4help View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desperate4help Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2009 at 2:26pm
I think I could really help with this flu. I seem to have had this for over a year or so and I also seem to be pretty contagious.  I seem to make people sneeeze when they are around me and then the next day they are sick. Ive really wanted to get help for this but I have no medical insurance and it is increasingly wearing on me. I am constantly congested, when I cough you can hear that deep rumble and sometimes just a hard breath will shoot out some mucus which is sometimes brown green and very sticky. my mucus is so sticky, it will hang off things for hours.  I really need someone to run my mucus and hopefully I can help me get over this. I am very contagious and helping me would help many others! I can provide pictures/videos of my mucus just to show how bad it is. there are also manyy many other symtoms that seem to go along with this such as fatigure/headaches/body aches/shortness of breath/chronic cough/ sometimes hearing in an ear will go out for a minutie..dizyness/dry mouth/dry skin/ and even more. someone please email me or respond if you can help!!! thank you
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2009 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by desperate4help desperate4help wrote:

I think I could really help with this flu. I seem to have had this for over a year or so and I also seem to be pretty contagious.  I seem to make people sneeeze when they are around me and then the next day they are sick. Ive really wanted to get help for this but I have no medical insurance and it is increasingly wearing on me. I am constantly congested, when I cough you can hear that deep rumble and sometimes just a hard breath will shoot out some mucus which is sometimes brown green and very sticky. my mucus is so sticky, it will hang off things for hours.  I really need someone to run my mucus and hopefully I can help me get over this. I am very contagious and helping me would help many others! I can provide pictures/videos of my mucus just to show how bad it is. there are also manyy many other symtoms that seem to go along with this such as fatigure/headaches/body aches/shortness of breath/chronic cough/ sometimes hearing in an ear will go out for a minutie..dizyness/dry mouth/dry skin/ and even more. someone please email me or respond if you can help!!! thank you

Do you have coverage and a good doctor? The deep cough rumble sounds pretty nasty and you should go into ER or clinic and have that checked out. There are some great ER docs. If you have a good primary or military vet benefits- you probably need a full workup. Especially get a referal from your GP for an ENT consult, if he feel it is appropriate.  Just nurse type advice. Be aware that many people have chronic bronchitis, nasal infection or such, and it can be tough to get rid of. Sometime you have to learn to live with it.  As a child my ears were always grief for years. Another more  thing would be considering you could be immuno suppressed for one reason or another and are not able to totally kick a long term infection. M.D. can help you with that too.

Medclinician
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desperate4help Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2009 at 10:06pm
unfortunately I do not have any type of coverage. i got laid off and I am strapped for cash. I'm in debt already and I really don't want to dig any deeper. Its very stressful and is diffidently taking its toll on me. Thats why I was hoping someone would be able to help due to the fact that it would help other very much as well as me since I feel im pretty contagious.  I feel like I have a super bug its weird... I just really need someone to help me =(
SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 4:40am
Are there any free clinics in your area? Call/ask around. There must be something in LA, I would think. I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that you should be SEEN by a doctor.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 8:32am
Originally posted by desperate4help desperate4help wrote:

unfortunately I do not have any type of coverage. i got laid off and I am strapped for cash. I'm in debt already and I really don't want to dig any deeper. Its very stressful and is diffidently taking its toll on me. Thats why I was hoping someone would be able to help due to the fact that it would help other very much as well as me since I feel im pretty contagious.  I feel like I have a super bug its weird... I just really need someone to help me =(

In most parts of the country, although you may have to fill out a lot of papers, if you go to the social services section in the hospital, you can get free or sliding scale medical treatment. If you are at the bottom of the scale, many times the treatment is free. Some hospital ERs will turn away a patient with no insurance, but usually there are at least several hospitals, if not just one in your area who will help you.

Be persistent. Your health is important and getting treated may take some waiting and return visits. A second alternative- since you have mentioned the contagious part, would be to go to the county health department. I know that I was sent a thick stack of papers, on which hundreds of available services were listed.

Lastly, and where many physicians do not want to go, but most do- do you smoke, drink, or have a lifestyle that may be causing you problems. Since smoking literally burns up many vitamins and increases health problems, it may be a tough choice to stop smoking, to stop coughing. Not to say it always works. Many doctors will still treat smokers and encourage them to stop- but for some - there is a point where you either stop or drop.

Wish you luck in this and hope to hear good news when you finally do get treatment and feel better.

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2009 at 3:46pm

LA Area Free Clinics

The Saban Free Clinic
8405 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90048

Phone: 323-653-8622

Our Hours

Beverly Health Center
Seniel Ostrow Building
8405 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90048
Map

Medical

Monday - Thursday  8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Friday 12:00 pm - 4:30 pm

Dental
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 7:45 am - 9:00 pm
Wednesday 8:45 am - 9:00 pm
Friday 7:30 am -5:00 pm

Showers
Monday - Thursday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Friday 10:00 am - 3:00 pm

The S. Mark Taper Foundation Health Center
6043 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90028
Map

Medical
Monday, Wednesday & Friday  8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday & Thursday 8:30 am - 7:00 pm

Showers
Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 8:30 am - 11:45 am

Hollywood Wilshire Health Center
5205 Melrose Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90038
Map

Medical
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm

The Wallis Annenberg Children and Family Health Center
5205 Melrose Ave.
2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90038
Map

Medical & Dental
Monday - Thursday 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Saturday  8:30 am - 5:00 pm

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desperate4help Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2009 at 12:45pm
Thank you so much for your time and help! It means so much to me. I am going to check out that free Clinic in LA and I will reply with what happens.

<3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic