Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Swine Flu Hits San Diego

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICHARD-FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swine Flu Hits San Diego
    Posted: April 23 2009 at 6:22am
Swine Flu has moved from Mexico to San Diego Ca.

Reference:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/21/AR2009042103694.html

Now here is why I'm interested:

My daughter took my two grandsons to visit family during Spring Break 2 weeks ago.  The oldest one (14)  came down with flu like symptoms (High fever, running nose, aches and pains, etc) while there.  The younger one (7) started the same symptoms after they returned to Florida.  Both were seen by a doctor and given the typical meds you give for a head cold.

Now my questions:

Why did it take so long to communicate to the public that there was swine flu in the local area and that parents need to be aware of it?

Why was my family allowed to travel via airline without any check for flu (Like they do for international flights) ?  If they had  swine flu, they could of exposed many people.

How many more were exposed while traveling during spring break?

Prevention is the key -  the best prevention method is to communicate!

"...No man is an island on to himself..." Words to remember

RICHARD-FL
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 10:07am
I'm in California, and I've yet to see any warnings in the local paper here regarding this outbreak.  I think it's time the media starts informing the puplic. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 12:24pm
Thanks Elizabeth... let us know if you see/hear anything.
poultrydr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poultrydr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 3:25pm
CDC had media webcast this afternoon.  A reporter from CA newspaper was on.  Should be in papers tomorrow.  CDC will be updating their website daily.

Regards,
Eric
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 5:08pm
Richard - been swamped - so haven't been able to keep up on this one.. but I checked my engine and its been out there.. just not as much on mainstream.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/04/new-strain-of-swine-flu-found-in-san-diego-imperial-counties.html

2:38 PM | April 21, 2009

Two cases of swine flu have been identified in San Diego and Imperial counties, leading to an investigation by state, local and federal health officials to find the source or sources.

A 9-year-old girl in Imperial County and a 10-year-old boy in San Diego County were identified as suffering from swine flu. Both have recovered,  but health officials remain puzzled because neither had been in contact with pigs and the strain was one never identified in the U.S.

Officials were quick to assure the public that there is no indication that the virus is spreading. "We do not have an epidemic," said Dr. Wilma Wooten, San Diego County health officer.

Although it commonly causes respiratory problems in pigs, swine flu is rare in humans: only 12 cases of human infection have been detected since 2005, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The most serious recent outbreak was in 1976 among soldiers at Ft. Dix, N.J., in which a soldier died and several became ill with influenza-like symptoms. Symptoms include fever, lethargy, coughing and lack of appetite.

-- Tony Perry

Swine Flu is P2P

CDC Believes Flu Was Contracted in Person-to-Person Spread

By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News

Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD

April 21, 2009 -- Two California children got sick with a mysterious new strain of swine flu -- and the CDC thinks they got the pig virus via person-to-person contact.

Both kids, a 10-year-old boy from San Diego County and a 9-year-old girl from Imperial County, are now well. However, the girl had a 104.3-degree fever before she recovered. And the boy traveled by airplane from San Diego to Dallas while he still had flu symptoms.

Is this the first sign of a flu pandemic? That's possible, but not likely, says Lyn Finelli, DrPH, chief of flu surveillance at the CDC.

"While we have a low index of suspicion this is a pandemic, we are being careful to rule out any possibility," Finelli says. "We don't know yet."

"We have here detection of two cases of swine flu virus in children. We are trying to figure out where they came from and how serious they are," says Dan Jernigan, MD, MPH, deputy director of the CDC's influenza division.

The CDC has dozens of people tracing the children's contacts, beginning with close family members. Each of the children had two family members come down with the flu -- in both cases, one family member had the flu before the child had the flu, and one after.

All recovered, but flu virus was not obtained from any of these family members while they still had symptoms. Over the weekend, the CDC developed a specific test for the new swine flu virus; testing of the children's contacts is now under way. It's likely that the tests will reveal other people who recovered from the infection.

CDC has not activated its Atlanta-based command center. But California has, Finelli says, and is putting all available health care workers on the job of tracking down the children's contacts.

Both children attended school, and California authorities are planning to trace the children's school contacts.

Meanwhile, the 10-year-old boy remains in the Dallas area and has made a full recovery from his one-week symptoms of fever, cough, and vomiting.

So far, the CDC says, Texas health authorities have not found any new infections. The boy traveled to Texas with three other children unaccompanied by adults; crew members who assisted the children are now being tested.

The CDC is withholding the name of the airline that flew the boy and his three companions from San Diego to Dallas on April 3.

Swine flu viruses don't normally infect humans. When they do, it's almost always because of contact with an infected pig. But neither child had any direct contact with pigs.

Moreover, the viruses recovered from the children are not like the swine flu viruses common among pigs. That raises the specter of human-to-human spread of the virus, Finelli says.

"This virus is different, very different from that circulating in pigs. That was a red flag," Finelli told WebMD and several other news organizations. "The other red flag is both cases appeared almost simultaneously, 100 miles apart. When we see two cases [of swine flu] without animal contact that occur simultaneously and they have a different virus [than in pigs], we are concerned."

What worries the CDC is that the two cases might signal the beginning of a flu pandemic with a virus new to humans. But CDC spokesman Tom Skinner notes that it's the CDC's job to be worried. Several things about the cases are reassuring:

• Both cases were detected by routine flu surveillance.
  • Southern California has unusually excellent flu surveillance -- and there has not been a large number of flu cases from unusual flu strains.
  • The virus is the H1N1 strain of swine flu. There are human strains of H1N1, raising at least the possibility of cross-protection -- especially in adults.

Not reassuring is the finding that the new swine flu strain carries three genes from Eurasian swine flu bugs not known to be circulating in the U.S. The new strain apparently is a reassortant virus that assembled itself from the genes of at least two different swine flu viruses. It carries no human flu genes.

Swine flu last spurred headlines in 1976 when an outbreak of swine flu at Fort Dix, N.J., killed one healthy recruit, caused four cases of serious pneumonia, and spread to some 230 soldiers before it vanished.

It's still not clear where the 1976 virus came from or why it went away -- but it spurred widespread public alarm and a vaccination program that badly misfired before being terminated.

The CDC, the California Department of Public Health, and the health departments of Imperial and San Diego counties urge all of those counties' residents and visitors who develop flu-like symptoms to seek medical attention.

Doctors who see these patients are advised to send swab samples to state or local health authorities. They are also asked to get full interviews to ask about other family members or contacts who may be ill.

Here's the CDC's advice for all people who get flu-like symptoms, whether it's normal seasonal flu or swine flu:

• Stay home when you are sick to avoid spreading illness to co-workers and friends.
  • Children with flu-like symptoms should stay home to avoid spreading illness to classmates and staff.
  • Cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue and properly dispose of used tissues.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to get rid of most germs, and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay healthy by eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, and getting adequate rest and exercise.

The new swine flu bug is resistant to the older flu drugs amantadine and rimantadine. Tests are under way to see if it remains sensitive to the newer flu drugs Tamiflu and Relenza.

The CDC announced the swine flu cases in a special MMWR Dispatch published today

Medclinician

RICHARD-FL View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICHARD-FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 5:17pm
The worst part was I found out about this from a friend.  My family members who live in San Diego still did not know about it (Until I told them this morning).

Where is the communications?

Also this has spread through Mexico into Mexico City.  The Government has sent fluid samples from several people they believe may have been exposed, to Canada to have them checked to see if it is H1N1 (Swine Flu)
.  More in 10 days.

Again where was the communications?  My family traveled to and from San Diego to Florida via Air Lines
that could have exposed 10,000+ people. 

This is how the next pandemic will spread I believe, via air lines!

RICHARD-FL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 7:06pm
I agree we just don't have the agreement to communicate in place, but then CDC is operating off a nations platform where they are used to keeping quiet as it's up to the individual nations to give the ok to speak up...they must just be in fireman mode...they have a lot to do behind the scenes so they should delegate that communications thing you speak of.

I had no idea we had so many wild pigs about the place...

Officials Work to Rid Northern States of Feral Swine
Monday, April 02, 2007

DES MOINES, Iowa -   They can weigh up to 300 pounds and are like snuffling, rooting machines.

Wild hogs roaming through at least 39 states are lately alarming wildlife officials by their population growth in Michigan, Iowa and other northern states.
"They destroy the natural habitat that's out there," said Angi Bruce, who heads the Iowa Department of Natural Resource's southwest wildlife bureau. "It basically looks like a plow has gone through the area."

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 9:08pm
   I live in San Diego and it's the first I've heard of it. I have met a few people in the past few days that have complained of some pretty serious flu symptoms though. 
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 9:15pm
Mary08 - there was a piece on the TV about two weeks ago about wild pigs in the US, and the population explosion they're experiencing. They are huge and very aggressive - the program mentioned some weighing 500 lbs and up that had been involved in unprovoked attacks on people. They talked about the "pig bomb" and how it was completely out of control. They go through an area and pretty much destroy it, and nobody seems to know how to deal with them.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2009 at 10:12pm
We don't realize what's out there...  I was amazed to see a real red fox....like from tv land...it had long legs...they are running on tv and this one was walking...the red tail was as big as the whole body.   We don't have wild pigs in NYS ... right? or I'll never walk in the woods again.   I have to go over and have a look at the news..... I have only seen pos. from CDC on Patient A and B (they didn't test family members) and a 9 yr old girl and then a doctor from CDC being reported as saying 2 teen boys and a father and daughter.

seven so far.eleven if the untested ill family members are counted.  The ill healthcare workers in Mexico don't sound promising. 

They have had our northern strains of swine flue in Mexico since ...about...2004. officially that is.  There is a swine flue strain swirling about from every major pig producing state.

The workers and the vets and their families have been aquiring swine antibodies....for years.   I read that there is no keeping up with vaccines for the pigs...too much change.  It is so bad now that the pigs in many places are sick all the time.  China is still having problems.  Russia was rampent with swine flu...african (iridovirus) and the classic type.

Yhere are 3 wholly avian influenza virus transmission to pigs in N. America, H4N6,  H3N3, H1N1......

If you want to have a look at this colorful data....

Influenza, People, Pigs And Pandemics

april 6, 2006

It shows that they feel the real danger is from pigs where viruses are reassorted.

Table S3. Data used in this study: Global background H3N2 isolates, 1997-2005: HA gene, 48 sequences. 

Isolate GenBank

Accession

Number

Isolate GenBank

Accession

Number

A/Ashburton/280/2004 CY002954 A/Memphis/31/03 CY002104
A/Christchurch/10/2004 CY002905 A/Memphis/59/99 CY002112
A/Christchurch/13/2004 CY002906 A/Moscow/10/99 AY531035
A/Christchurch/14/2004 CY002922 A/Moscow/328/2003 DQ086160
A/Christchurch/15/2004 CY002914 A/Moscow/343/2003 DQ089634
A/Christchurch/184/2004 CY002946 A/Moscow/346/2003 DQ089638
A/Christchurch/339/2004 CY002904 A/Nagasaki/76/98 AB019355
A/Denmark/07/03 AY531041 A/Nagasaki/93/98 AB019356
A/Denmark/10/03 AY531046 A/Oklahoma/323/03 DQ059385
A/Denmark/13/03 AY531056 A/Paris/896/97 AF363502
A/Denmark/18-2/03 AY531059 A/Paris/906/97 AF363503
A/Denmark/19-2/03 AY531053 A/Paris/908/97 AF363504
A/Denmark/32/03 AY531042 A/swine/Guangdong/1/2003 AY852273
A/Denmark/41/03 AY531048 A/swine/Guangdong/3/2003 AY852274
A/Denmark/52/03 AY531052 A/swine/Guangdong/4/2003 AY852275
A/Denmark/58/03 AY531040 A/swine/Guangdong/6/2004 AY852277
A/Denmark/61/03 AY531049 A/Swine/Ontario/00130/97 AF251395
A/Denmark/63/03 AY531045 A/Switzerland/7729/98 AF382318
A/Denmark/70/03 AY531051 A/Taiwan/30005/2004 DQ249261
A/Denmark/92/03 AY531055 A/Taiwan/31001/2004 DQ249262
A/Fujian/411/02-like DQ227423 A/Taiwan/3640/2003 DQ249259
A/Hong Kong/1143/99 AF382319 A/Wyoming/3/03 AY531033
A/Hong Kong/1144/99 AF382321    
A/Hong Kong/1179/99 AF382324    
A/Hong Kong/1180/99 AY035591    
A/Memphis/31/98 AY271794  
July View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote July Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 5:22am
now mexico is reporting 60 deaths from swine flu with 800 suspected flu like illness
News is reporting this could be the possible start of a pandemic but they are stating probably not.

How concerned should we be about this?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 8:21am
hi... reporters are taking liberties... not much difference, but it shows us how things can change...

Be safe anyway....but know that-

suspected is the word being used at this point.... for the deaths in Mexico,

They can't seem to get info fast enough from Mexico. (according to Hosp Director in Toronto)

"This afternoon the epidemic was confirmed by Canadian and US labs to be a new influenza virus," Cordova said in a televised statement late Thursday.

(Mexico's Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova )

But it was unclear if the Mexican flu virus was the same one implicated in the confirmed swine flu outbreaks in the southwestern United States.

..."The infection of humans with a novel influenza A virus infection of animal origins as has happened here is of concern because of the risk, albeit small, that this could represent the appearance of viruses with pandemic potential," the ECDC said on its website.

Referring to "swine flu cases that have broken out in the United States in Mexico," WHO spokeswoman Fadela Chaib said there are "now a total of seven known cases in the United States."

They included five in California and two in Texas, in three clusters, Chaib told journalists.

"Meanwhile in Mexico unusual end of season influenza activity began to be noticed at the end of March, peaking in April."

"To date there have been some 800

suspected cases

with flu-like illness,

with 57 deaths in the Mexico City area," the WHO spokeswoman said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hqvUky7Db4m9TlO-2L8Z4q2vDJbw

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 12:39pm

CDC

Video

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Mary08 Mary08 wrote:

I had no idea we had so many wild pigs about the place...

Officials Work to Rid Northern States of Feral Swine
Monday, April 02, 2007

DES MOINES, Iowa -   They can weigh up to 300 pounds and are like snuffling, rooting machines.

Wild hogs roaming through at least 39 states are lately alarming wildlife officials by their population growth in Michigan, Iowa and other northern states.
"They destroy the natural habitat that's out there," said Angi Bruce, who heads the Iowa Department of Natural Resource's southwest wildlife bureau. "It basically looks like a plow has gone through the area."

That's three serious bouts of laughter in one week Mary- at this rate they will have to discontinue my antidepressants (that was humor- I don't take antidepressants)

I sincerely doubt we are in for the attack of the Razorbacks (Australian wild boar the size of a mobile home)

Okay.. take a break readers.. enjoy- Aussies.. thanks for this one...

okay better link

real problem getting this link to connect-one kind pg shower thing- about a pg as Cinderella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7bYnudzxXU

btw  I think the Swine Flu thing is worth keeping an eye on- but may not be quite as serious as it seems today with all the media hitting..

I seriously doubt this is Swine flu- it may have swine RNA in it- but it sounds a whole like highly contagious people flu.

Medclinician
RICHARD-FL View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICHARD-FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 7:03pm
Just got off the phone with my family members in San Diego  - Now all have fever and cough. 

I told them to get with their doctor tomorrow (Military).  She told me that a few other friends, are having the same medical problems happening to them.

I told them to do two things:

1.  Keep 6 feet away from any one who looks sick!

2.  Wash hands as much as they can!

It may help

good Luck to all

RICHARD-FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic