Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Canning Help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canning Help needed
    Posted: February 21 2006 at 9:26pm

I'm interested in learning about canning. what kind of specialized equipment is needed? What all can you can? What is the shelf-life?

i would particularly be able to make some meat-dishes. Is that doable/safe? Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 9:36pm

Sorry I can't help you about canning.

But I wanted to suggest a pressure cooker would come in handy for meal
prep. If you don't have power you can make a fire/BBQ and cook meals in a
fraction of the time.

Military up here uses them in the field. I use use it in the kitchen.

flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 7:15am

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/. This link will tell you all you need to know about canning.

I have the " Ball Blue Book of Canning " which can be purchased online or at the bookstore.  I bought my copy on Ebay for a quater of the retail price. The book is an excellent resource for homecanning.

mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 7:32pm

HI Femvet ,  I'm going to start doing some canning too.  As a matter of fact we did 14 pints of butter and 14 pints of beef today Yeaaaaa!!!!!  It was fun and easy to do - we had bought a Presto 23 Quart Pressure Canner , some pint size jars and lids and just went to town with it - we followed the directions that came with the canner for the meat and for the butter we used a receipe that we found on the net:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/9684/butter.html?20 0622

http://www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter.html

Next we're going to try making batches of my husbands favorite chili recipe, and then, and then, and then.............Smile.

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:37pm
  Hi Mini Mouse, I am also intrested in canning.. I didn't know you could can butter.  Did you can store bought butter or did you make your own?  Once you open the jar how long will it last in terms of safety.? 
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 5:29am
Mini Mouse thanks for the butter canning recipe    
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 5:45am

Hi Mississippi Mama,  I used store bought butter that I got on sale.  I don't know how long it will last when opened as this is our first batch - I am assuming it will be the same as regular butter. We are brand new at this, too so would appreciate any tips from the experienced canners. Thanks to all and you're welcome Auntie.   Mary

P.S. To mama, I think using the smaller jars in case of no refrgeration will help with longevity once opened.    Smile

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 9:08am
Mini-mouse: where can I find the canner? i found everything else needed at Walmart. Also, I really like the idea of the butter, but how does that work? Would you post the recipe, please? TIA
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 9:09am
Flick, thanks for that link. that is a great resource.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 11:17am

Hi Fevet - I got my canner at a small local hardware store. You're probably having a hard time finding one because it is off season for canning.  I would go on the net and order one, I don't think you would have any problem getting just the one you want.  I gave the links above for two recipes for the butter, if you can't get it let me know - I can post it but only with help - which will be home soon.Smile

flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 12:15pm

Your welcome FEM!

I scored a new canning kit at Walmart this week on clearance. $49.97 marked down to 20 bucks!! Such a deal. Look in the clearance section or on the end caps for one. It has the Ball blue book in it and all the accessories. Even some jars. Good Luck!~

Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 3:17pm
      AH ,  CANNING, THE ONLY WAY TO GO......I NEED THE BUTTER RECIPE TOO.     I AM MOST SORRY FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE HAVEING THERE FREZ. FULL OF MEAT AND STUFF, DONT THEY KNOW IF AND WHEN THE ELECT. GOES OUT, ALL THERE FOOD WILL BE GONE????..... I HAVE THE LARGE PRESTO CANNER ALSO..........I HAVE NOT BEEN CANNING LONG, BUT DID IT YEARS AGO WITH A FRIEND AND IT WAS FUN AND A GOOD WAY TO FEED THE FAMILY.........HAVE STARTED AGAIN AND STILL HAVEING FUN WITH IT...........IF YOU DO BEAN, AND SOUP, THEN YOU WILL NOT NEED WATER TO COOK A MEAL, PLUS YOU CAN THROUGH A HAND FULL OF RICE OR NOODLES IN AND MAKE IT GO A LONG WAY TO FEED PEOPLE, OR 2 MEALS A DAY............ I CANT HELP MY SELF ..........PEOPLE ,   WAKE UP   ON THE FREZ ING PART OF YOUR FOOD STORAGE............PLUS IF YOU DO A GARDEN DURING THE BF, YOU CAN CANN IT FOR WINTER, WHEN FOOD WILL BE AT ITS LOWEST...................MINI MOUSE I HAVE NOT CANNED CHEESE...........WE DO NEED MORE RECIPES FOR CANNING..SUNSET
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 3:48pm

Sunset,

I think most people who are stockpiling there freezers are probably planning on having a generator/gas supply to keep it running if the electricity goes out.  At least that is what I am planning. 

Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 3:59pm
         IAMCLOSE..........I DIDNT GET THAT IDEA AT ALL FROM WHAT I HAVE READ.........GENS. COAT A LOT AND WE ARE SAVE ING FOR ONE, HOPE TIME DONT RUN OUT.......PLUS WE DO HAVE A VERY OLD WOOD COOKING STOVE, WE CAN BAKE BREAD AND HEAT FOOD.........SUNSET
outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 5:59pm
Anybody out there willing to share their recipe's for canning meat?

I read somewhere on this site that someone even canned hamburger?  I really  like that idea!!!

I don't have a pressure cooker, but I have canned just about everything else.

If you can share this info., I'd greatly appreciate it.

By the way, I just purchased 20 lbs. of butter & this wkendl., I'm planning on trying my hand at canning this for the first time.  I was SO excited to find out that I could even do this!

God bless us all...
Peggy in MN

Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:14pm
I would love to see the recipes as well. I am wondering though if we could start a new thread with the canning recipes so that they are easy to find.
I am purchasing a new canner (hopefully) next week. I am going to be buying all the meat that I can. I also need to stock up on canning jars and lids and rings. I have some but not enough.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:32pm

Folks, I am starting a thread relative to this subject. Please take a look if you have time.

Thanks a bunch.

Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 9:51pm
MARZINN.........WHAT IS A THREAD AND WHERE CAN I FIND IT....SUNSET
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:11pm
    HI , OUTSIDETHECAMP...I HAVE DONE HAMBUGAR.....BRAKE IT UP AND ADD WATER,   WE HAD 5LBS AND ONE QUART OF WATER, HEAT AND BOIL , NOT TO LONG SAY 5 MIN.   TRY NOT TO COOK THE MEAT ALL THE  WAY DONE, FILL YOUR JARS WITH MEAT AND THE BROTH YOU MADE LEAVE 1/4INCH AT TOP OF JAR, CLEAN THE RIM AND PUT THE LIDS AND BANDS, SET IN YOUR PRESSURE CANNER, FLLOW THE INSTRUCKTION, COOK AT 11LB FOR 65 MIN FOR PINTS, 75 MIN. FOR QUARTS........LET THEM COOL AND PUT IN A DARK COLD PLACE.......WE YOU GO TO USE THE HAMBUGER, I DRAIN THE LIQU. AND FRY UP THE BUGER, SAVE THE LIQU. AND ADD A LITTLE WATER AND CORN STARCK TO MAKE A MMMM GOOD GRAVY...LOTS OF DISHES TO MADE WITH THIS KIND OF HAMBUGAR.....SUNSET
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:23pm
           ONE MORE THING, YOU  M U S T  USE A PRESSURE CANNER FOR MEAT, FISH CHICKEN, TURKEY...NOT A PRESSURE COOKER, OR HOT BATH FOR CANNING MEATS........GOOD LUCK AND LETS GET CANNING;;;;;SUNSET
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:55am
hi to all, my sister and i can every year applesauce and cranberry sauce and jams, jellys, conserves for gifts for xmas and for our use. i've done pickles ect. but no presire canning, have a brand new one . but scrared it will blow up  lol, expensive in the beginning ..but now we only have to buy the inner lids each year' i also got alot of jars at tag sales. iwould stay away from old fashion jars with the  rubber ring seals. they are hard for us to seal and it would be ashame to waste the food.  the food should be eaten in the year following or else it looses it 's color ,flavor.don't store it in an open shelf, it looks cute in pictures as a decoration, but will be harmed by the sun light........ for gifts we make whole berry and jelled cranberry sauce, applesauce with cinnimon did i spell that right   ,apple sauce with rasins, and used splenda , only tied the splenda in apple sauce    great gits we make in the summer  and fall, cost little and  we put about 4 pits in a gift bag , under 10 dollars cost....also dont' get carried away like we have done in the past, berry picking, pick your own , have to can that stuff right away or do the next day and  can be time consuming, plus cost of electric   ''' on a lighter note , on summer  it was very hot  to can ,did it on a gas grill , the neigbors must have thought i was nuts as long as you keep the water boiling for the prescribed time, this can be done outside in a pinch  good luck  have fun,     ps we buy our supplys end of season at walmarts at discount for the next year
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 4:12am
Thanks Sunset
Rozz View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 2:07pm
 Love the canning recipe link!!!  Thanks.  When I was on the phone with my friend the other day, it was mentioned they were canning foods, I thought....over the top.... now that I've read more etc...totally doing it!!!
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:54pm
                   HAVENT HEARD FROM YOU ALL IN A FEW DAYS, EVERY ONE MUST BE CANNING, GREAT,,,,,,,,I WILL HAVE SOUPS TO DO THIS WEEK, OH FUN, FUN,. I WILL BE READING THE FORUM, WHILE THE SOUP COOKS DOWN SLOWLY AND THEN QUART JARS HERE WE COME, HAVE BUTTER TO DO ALSO, IN HALF PINTS, 24 or 48 , DEPENDS ON HOW THE DAY GOES. I WONT CANN THEM BOTH IN THE SAME DAY.........LADIES ARE YOU OUT THERE.............SUNSET
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 4:38am

Just found some ideas/recipes for butter and cheese

Hi everyone!  I'm new here and so happy to have found this place. 

I plan to can some butter in half pint jars and the wax coated velveeta sounded easy enough - even for me.  When I searched for recipes, I kept finding the same instructions for canning butter and the canned soft cheese recipe was several places too.  Recipes below:

CANNING SOFT CHEESE

Home canned "soft cheese" has better cooking properties than store bought bottled cheese meant for snack food. It contains no preservatives and is more economical than commercial products for cooking purposes. These instructions yield a product that is similar to "Cheese Whiz", yet better tasting for a recipe of macaroni and cheese. This simple to do recipe for home canned cheese will keep for 2 years plus.

Ingredients:

• 1 (3 oz.) can evaporated milk
  • 1 T. vinegar
  • ½ tsp. salt 1 lb. Velveeta cheese or any processed cheese
  • ½ tsp. dry mustard

Melt milk and cheese in double boiler. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Fill pint jars about 3/4 full and seal. Place in Boiling Water bath for 10 minutes.

===================

You can "keep" boxes of processed cheese edible right on the pantry shelf. Food for thought, perhaps....

The 2 pound box of soft cheese, such as Velveeta Pasteurized Cheese Product, or the similar "Brand X" generic store brand, will keep at home on your pantry shelf, no refrigeration required, for at least a year and possibly much longer.

Simply use paper tape to seal the lower sides and bottom of the box. Next, dip the entire box in melted paraffin or candle wax as described for waxing cans and boxes in the preparations section.

Store the wax coated boxes in a cool, dark place.

=============

BASIC BUTTER CANNING DIRECTIONS
reprinted from
http://www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter.html
1. Use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.
2. Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.
3. While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.
4. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.
5. Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.
6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:15am
Oknut, welcome & thank you for the soft cheese recipe.

Been looking for something like that

God help us all...
Peggy in MN
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 7:11am
 hi to all ,i planted last year 4 blueberry brushes , 3 differant types to give fruit thru the summer, they are about three  to four feet tall now , only ? i s did they survive the winter, point is blueberries in ct. are 3.99  for a small 1 cup pkg now, canning your own for the winter, and also have fresh in th e season, believe me i'm no farmer ,city girl, but the cost of the brushes in the long run ,they will pay for themselves, about 100 DOLLARS, BUT THEY WERE POTTED. i didn't want to wait a few years for them to bear fruit, my daughter eats about 2 pints of them  a week even in season , thats about 5.00 dollars in the summer,  sister and i have done the pick your own thing at the farm , no t  a cheaper way, than  buying in the store ,but fresher ,got the idea, in the long run , grow my own, we have made jam and pie filling   with them,   just a few  thought s roxy
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 2:32pm
          OK, WERE ARE YOU FINDING THIS STUFF, TO NEW ON THE COMPUTER AND ALL I FIND FOR CANNING IS THE SAME STUFF, THAT I DONT NEED.........DO YOU HAVE SOME LINKS THAT ARE EASY TO FIND...SUNSET
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 3:03pm

Hi Sunset, I'll try to provide some links

I just hunted around, copied and pasted to send emails to myself so I'd have the recipes.  

Here's one with butter and many others - http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blmisc67.htm

This one has lots of good things - http://www.endtimesreport.com/Site_Index.htm

http://lesleycooks.tripod.com/canning/canning.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/1012/canning.html

http://www.canningpantry.com/home-canning-recipes.html

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can4_vegetable.html

Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 3:44pm
               OKNUT,    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, WHAT WONDERFUL SIGHTS. ALL KINDS OF GOOD STUFF, I LIKE THE ONE ON CANS AND WAX, ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK YOU AGAIN...........SUNSET..........P.S. DON't TAKE MUCH TO MAKE ME HAPPY...............
Gwyphn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyphn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 3:50pm
Ball Blue Book in it's many renditions is THE best general canning reference.

Your extension office may also have some rules and guidelines for canning.

I have put up chili and pizza sauce in the past, as well as garden veggies. There is not a trick to it. Just sterilize everything first and continually as you can. Then carefully check for a good seal before laying your stores by.

Canning has gone out of favor but it works. And there is comfort seeing those brightly colored cans waiting for you to consume.

Check your seal again before eating anything that you have canned. No seal-No good.
For generations we have lived not wisely but too well. Now we must pay.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 6:45am
 thanks oknut for the sites added them to my list, must have been fate, i went to a tag sale 2 summers ago , and these sweet old ladys were selling boxes of jars,mostly quarts, a dollar a box brought them all,  they decided not to do it any more, just the 2 of them ,they were glad to sell to somebody who continue it with their jars,  just a reminder, jars aren't any good unless you have the lids, buy extra for reuse, you can use parafin for jams jelly, but i haven't tried it    i also reuse the used lids/jars for short term storage in the refrig, better than plastic, and the jars don't warp in the dishwasher , also have put in small candles in them so that they don't dry out , the unsealed ones , like tea,voltive candles  good luck roxy
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 6:55am

Thanks Roxy

I just picked up extra lids yesterday.  I plan to use the half gallon jars to vacuum seal dry goods if my dang foodsaver ever gets here.  I know that I have a stash of quart canning jars somewhere in the attic and may climb up there if I run out of jars.  I only picked up 12 of the little half pint jars to put up some butter and soft cheese. 

So much to do ... so little time.  I know we still have some venison in the freezer too so I'd like to turn it into jerky.  I'm not crazy about venison unless it's jerky or sausage anyway.  That's probably why it's still in the bottom of the freezer. 

Great tip about putting candles in the jars.  I imagine you get more light with the candle inside a jar than you would otherwise.  Plus, my aging cat has become fascinated by buring candles in the past and tipped them over.   I'll be sure to use that tip. 

Guess I'd better get to work or they'll find someone else to do it.

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:55pm
ok nut , the tip was also  to save the candles in jars to prevent them from drying out, old candles not sealed in plastic dry out and split, i use the jar lids that have been used already for canning ,but can't be used again for that purpose need to be new, any body that cans will know this , but for the newbies  good infro, why waste them , i don't store  the use lids with the new ones,  good luck roxy
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:57pm

Thanks Roxy

Can you tell that I'm having trouble focusing on much right now?  LOL!

I had better find better ways to store my stash of candles now that I know that.  Thanks a bunch.

Deb

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 8:49pm
Oh, Crap...

I just purchased 20# of butter only to discover that,"Up North", they don't carry canning jars, lids., etc., until July or Aug.!!!  I only have enough jars/lids for 6 # of canned butter!

Oh well, my DH just informed me that we have an old "cisterin"  located in the screened porch of our old 1911 farm hse., that, he believes, maintains a constant temp of about 38 degrees or so. 
Why in the H$ll didn't he tell me that sooner!!!  
Gonna kill him...I swear!
MEN!...sometimes you love them, most-times you hate them

God Help us all...
Peggy in MN

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 4:30am
outside the camp, hi also up north  in ct. , but wal marts still has canning stuff on the shelves, do you  have you any small hardware stores ,they my not display them ,but may have on stock. or  you can order over the internet, but that will cost you, better to call around ,use the phone book  good luck roxy
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 5:55am
Outside do you have Ace Hardware ? They will  order what you need  if not on the shelf.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 11:25am
My King Soopers carries cans all year. But where you are they may not. I would not use home canned goods more than one year after canning and two at the most. If you really want to keep food for a long time and can afford one a Freeze Dry machine is really nice at 2500.00 to 5000.00 dollars but who has that kind of money.

I use to have an electric dryer it finally died. I still have 10 yr old dried tomatoes that were dried to crispy, vacuumed packed and have been kept in the freezer. They are still good. If the freezer ever went out I would use up in one year. You really need an electric dryer to get stuff really dry. Then I always put in the freezer just keeps and bad stuff from growing despite how dry you get stuff it still has some water and water means bad stuff can grow.

I now have an air dryer. Why... I do not grow much anymore and if TSHTF I do not want to depend on electric for a dryer. Indians use to hang strips of meat on branches to dry and used all winter for food. They survived on this dried meat.

I have a canner and cans and lids and a couple of books on how to can. This is for me since I don't do it much anymore and for my son when I am gone. If you have a family or just can what you can use in one year canning is great. But if you are like me and will not use canned items in one year it is not worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic