Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Swine epidemic over in Mexico-misinformation-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swine epidemic over in Mexico-misinformation-
    Posted: May 02 2009 at 9:40pm

MEXICO CITY – Mexico reported three new deaths from the swine flu epidemic Saturday and urged citizens not to let their guard down against a virus that has killed 19 in people in Mexico and is spreading across Asia and Europe.

Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said Mexico's confirmed swine flu cases jumped to 473, including the 19 deaths. The previous death toll in Mexico was 16.

comment: This is incorrect. Giving the worldwide total of Swine Flu deaths in comparison to previous confirmed tests and deaths is complete misinformation.

A Mexican toddler also died in Texas days ago, for a worldwide total of 20.

Mexico's last confirmed swine flu death occurred Wednesday, Cordova said. However, he said there were 11 cases of people suspected to have died from the virus in the last 24 hours. The alarming news came after the epidemic's toll in Mexico appeared to be leveling off.

comment: figure this one out. You drop the deaths from 100 to 19- and then we have 11 deaths in the last 24 hours- Don't you think that would indicate the epidemic is increasing.

Cases outside Mexico suggested the new swine flu strain is weaker than feared, but governments moved quickly anyway to ban flights and prepare quarantine plans. Experts warned the virus could mutate and come back with a vengeance.

comment: These figures are completely different than the original released figures for deaths in Mexico from Swine Flu. I'd say come back with a vengeance is a fairly credible assumption.

From press outside the U.S. just a few days ago we have this

Monday 27 April 2009

Suspected cases of the new multi-strain swine flu have cropped up across the globe as Mexico City's death toll rises above 100. The United States has declared a public health emergency after an outbreak of the virus across the country.

http://www.france24.com/en/20090427-swine-flu-pandemic-australia-canada-france-usa-spread-virus

This fits into the spin, started several days ago that there is no Pandemic, that the new flu is not a threat, and it is amazing anyone could go on camera with these numbers and make these statements.  For whatever reason, Mexico is in a state of denial.

Even WHO confirmed over three times the number of deaths. The World Health Organization in Geneva said 60 people died from suspected swine flu in Mexico.

This may be one of the greatest and most serious cases of a complete 180 despite hundreds of documented reports and new releases giving other figures.

An attempt at present despite a world wide threat level of 5 - is to convince us this level- despite a serious flu spreading globally extremely quickly was announced based on the deaths of 20 people.

It really is much too late to back pedal to such a completely unbelievable release of information. One would have expected the suppression of this in the early stages, but hardly after data has been released globally which states otherwise. There are over 100 news articles which conflicts with this information.

Entire news pages to which we have buffers with totally different numbers have been changed to conform to the new spin. The media has been put under control and now is marching to the beat of the same drum.

Here is a recovered buffer of a page wiped from the net only hours ago.

Daily Star - Mexico - over 149 deaths Agente France Presse
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=2&article_id=101435
This page was completely rewritten - the fly over still reads the original headlines...or did.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Mexico-Swine-Flu-Cases-Up-To-1600-Over-100-Mexicans-Die-From-Virus/Article/200904415269664?f=rss

Since a totally clean wipe of the net is rather undoable and these links were found using an alternate search engine- the drop to 20 confirmed cases is probably the greatest united change of news on the net on disease in the history of web reporting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/26/AR2009042601456.html

Why?

After a relative blackout on the follow up testing with planes having up to 20 cases of flu (New Zealand) suddenly everything is all right. To protect the pork and other industries throughout the globe, now all results must be confirmed by CDC to be counted - there have been no 'real deaths' in the U.S. and despite the outbreak in Veracruz where 60% of the village was infected and 3 children died - just in one village - while they are claiming a death toll of 19- this is a back pedal of the first magnitude.

Perhaps the fact that the strain could not be found in swine- the fact that the strain is now being "created" by one U.S. scientist might give  hint here.

The reality is, this has spread over much of the globe and foreign news is still reporting otubreaks and cases.

Or- has this infection been going on for years and now in testing it- we find a lot of people are infected or were infected.

As it moves to the Southern hemisphere to mutate- we very possibly will face a much more lethal second wave this fall.

For the moment I personally am stunned at 19 cases. We probably could dig up more than 3 times that much just from individuals direct posting who have it.

From level 5 "we are certainly going to have a Pandemic" to "no problemo".

Spin doctors are in high gear. The bottom line is it is spreading across the U.S. There has to be at least one death from some pitiful disease ridden patient from this stuff. Zip goes the duct tape on the free press.

Medclinician

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 10:35pm
This was BBC only yesterday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8031020.stm

The number of suspected deaths from swine flu in Mexico has been cut by 75 to 101, indicating the outbreak may not be as bad as initially feared.

The country has ordered a five-day shutdown in a bid to contain the virus.

US President Barack Obama is calling for continued vigilance but says the virus that has travelled across the border also appears weaker.

comment: why would some geographical boundary result in a weaker virus? This appear to more politics than science. One person traveling across the border died. Is that a weaker virus?

http://news.aol.com/article/suspected-swine-flu-deaths-in-mexico-top/446648

This page although posted 5 days ago- and despite no update notice has been rewritten.

original text from buffer is....

Swine flu deaths now at 149.

Do we here the sound of a stomping media boot? I would think so. This is phenomenal with text changes in perhaps thousands of pages to match the new 19 death spin.

What is, is. The disease will spread and mutate. Why go into full bore making a vaccine for a virus that has only killed 20 people. More people have probably been eaten in by crocodiles than that in the last few months.

Was it a diversion that got botched? Was 5,000,000 doses of Tamiflu been sent to handle an outbreak with only 20 deaths. Well, I guess we can all feel a warm and fuzzy glow. There will be no Pandemic. Those poor mistaken Latins.. they should have stuck with the CDC confirmed. Now I guess like Watergate - we have Panic Demic- the global stampede which duplicate the wild antics of the SAME SCARE in 1976. I have been posting this for weeks.

Tail wags the WHO. But seriously people, what about the outbreak to New Zealand, what about the cases all over the world. What about the rapid spread of this - we were up to 20 or so states? Guess that doesn't matter anymore. Have we been low-path spinned again. Kinda looks that way.

Disgusted.

Medclinician

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 11:39pm
I'm not agreeing with the manipulation we're seeing here, but they may be trying to stall a run on our JIT food and supply system in the US.  Information travels very fast in the US - most people have the internet or a neighbor that does.  Most of us text and use cell phones and listen to the radio on the drive to and from work.  Somewhere inside each of us is a little "oh BLEEP" threshold. 

I was at the store the other day - it seemed slightly more busy than usual, but not slammed.  Interestingly, they were completely out of Purell and some other sanitizers.  There's probably still enough credit floating around to completely wipe out our distribution system if tomorrow we woke up and saw a headline "45,000 sick in Mexico, 3,500 dead."

Mexicans went out and bought out their supply chain - I saw a mention of "panic buying" overwhelming stores there.  I think it would be much worse in the US, and might even lead to social break down as those unprepared were unable to get food.

Just a thought after reading some threads.
ERIKA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ERIKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 12:27am

Good post and so true.

EHC
mercurymom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercurymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 2:01am
Originally posted by jbrovont jbrovont wrote:

Mexicans went out and bought out their supply chain - I saw a mention of "panic buying" overwhelming stores there.  I think it would be much worse in the US, and might even lead to social break down as those unprepared were unable to get food.

Just a thought after reading some threads.

Wow, you know I wouldn't disagree with that at all. There is definitely something going on here. An article just posted a couple of hours ago, and it already changed. I saw the original, and posted it for some friends to see, then I see Wolfmanjack over at swineflu saying it changed. wtf?? Something is going on, that's for sure, and your idea sounds logical. Thinking about it....we have been trying to get credit cards paid off, and not use them at all...but in an emergency, if we were told to "stock up" (we are almost completely stocked btw), and we didn't have anything, I could SEE running to the store and maxing the credit cards trying to get stuff bought.

Nothing on the shelves, because people buying them out w/credit
Pandemic and people not working, cities are shut down, or people already unemployed = many not able to pay credit card bills
Banks go further into the hole
Economy sinks further

Lamp

Maybe the panic buying that's already going on, has shot some kind of fear in them, and they feel they need to "calm" the public down for a bit, to prepare. Didn't they KNOW what was going to happen, when they started telling everyone, everything in the first place????? Maybe if they'd started being honest and sharing info with us, months ago, when just a few people had it, things wouldn't be this bad. I think it is SO DECEITFUL, to put out an article that says one thing, and retract it with something else. You already can't trust anything. Confused 

There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings. ~ Dorothy Thompson
Wolfmanjack View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfmanjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 4:16am
Well all this is jibbing with what i posted a few days ago about media blackout and media censorship..

Am i suprised.. Not not really , Those in power don't give a flying hoot about the population only about money.. I would lay good money on a bet saying they are rolling the dice and are hoping for it to stay mild/ or counting on some sort of vaccine.

Then again................... IF the would was looking at a 1917-18 style pandemic do you really think they would let us know? They more then likely wouldn't because the mass panic it would cause.

Really if they said today that there was a bug going around as bad as the spanish flu everyone would flip out over night.

The question is...... Just how bad is this.. Right now we really only have our fears and the limited information to base a opinion on.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 6:16am
I want everyone to know reading this thread that I have tried to approach this in a truly objective manner. I value our ability to be able to get the facts out there and have the liberty to do so- so I have not attacked or laid blame at anyone's door personally.

The internet is a powerful tool, and it is truly too large and too powerful to mask or control. I deeply support our country, our democracy, and if this is somehow an effort to prevent mass panic and run on stores, banks, and let's face it,  that which would take down the infrastructure, all that needs to be done is for TPTB to be transparent, release logical and consistent information, and have SOME FAITH in our people to do the right thing. I do.

I certainly was willing to flow with this is not a high path Pandemic- it is slowing down in Mexico City, and will run its course around the globe, with deaths of x percent, and no serious damage to our society or the world economically.

Certainly personally I respect our readers and citizens of the United States and anyone who can even operate a computer, write emails, and has basic education to be able to perceive the difference between honesty and not. Abraham Lincoln once said you can please some of the people, some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people,  all of the time. In the end you will please none of the people none of the time.

It was truly impressive and I was proud to see our country and world leaders mobilize and step forward so quickly to confront the challenge of a growing Pandemic. We watched as  the alert level went from 3 to 4 and from 4 to 5. Nobody was going over the edge. People were dealing with it. They were upset, but there was no run on banks, and I was proud when they said- prepare for a likely Pandemic. This is the way I would hoped it would flow.

Yes, some people did surveys and we had anticipated, when a nastier flu hit, about half of the work force would stay home. That still leaves us with more than a third still on the job. it means at MacDonald's there will be lines, at Wall Mart some items may run out, and the water shelves may be a little sparse - but no panic- just a little heated preparation.

I have been working to get out my stuff on survival. I am meeting with a team of ham radio operators in a few days to set up INet, which will create (under FCC approval and legal filing) an alternate net and communication system.

We are glad we have some time, but we do not think the danger is past. We need to watch what happens as the virus hits the Southern Hemisphere- ESPECIALLY Australia - where Brisbane started and pretty much caused us a lot of trouble in the last flu seasons. This one H1N1 decided to mutate and form resistant strains to Tamiflu. We missed the mark on the Influenza B and did not add a 4th strain protection which later was the majority of that type of flu (not the primary first runner infection).

One real bit of honesty, and it has come from some, is the simply statement - we don't know but we are working on it. No one sane expected the new administration to be able to solve the problems dumped on their laps. Perhaps over time and with what resources we could muster to attack these problems and admit a lot of the fixes were bandages and not heals- because just like a paramedic dragging in a wounded soldier from battle whispering in his or her ear- "you're gonna make it'" that is what we need. Hope. Each of us is that soldier, each of us is wounded, each of us hurting. Am I wrong? Am I the only one who has felt the dampening of human spirit, the gnawing edge of pain and frustration; the burning and deep and growing desire to look and not only to believe, but to know in our heart of hearts, things will get better. They can.

As the fireside chats during the Great Depression- only on a much more personal level- look we got a buncha crooks that got in there and thieves have sacked the temple. It has been going on for years and we have not been told 100% truth because "we couldn't deal with it" and because it would scare people and hurt us financially. So things were pushed forward, year after year, and still it continues.

We cannot push forward the Pandemics which are coming. Perhaps during HIV under-reporting cases would cut it and now we have a sizable part of Africa in their own continent wide epidemic. They are hurting over there, and hurting bad. Over and over I have posted there are 3 pandemics now- Malaria, Dengue Fever, and TB.

The real story, the real question- how many Pandemics exist, how many are approaching, and how are we going to deal with them as a world?

This is not the time for backpedaling and fear. Cliche- the greatest thing to fear- is fear itself. We do need change. And if I could do one thing, it would be to restore the faith of the people in those who rule them, because here and elsewhere this has taken a beating.

This site is a good thing. http://www.swineflu.org is a good thing.  We are adults or intelligent non-adults for the younger readers. Never in history has a world or people been so informed, so literate, so able to think and make intelligent and rational decisions or to discern by their own thinking and common sense what is true.

We have children 12 years old who are amazingly perceptive and with the program and they surf and know the Internet, were born into an age of computers. They are the soldiers, not of tomorrow, but of now for many of our enemies, the soldiers, the warriors of today. And the words of deception, of propaganda, training to kill themselves to destroy us, flow into their ears, and they cannot help but listen.  And they fight not only with weapons, they fight with words, they fight with music,  and with lines of code- and they can attack and shake the very foundation of our world. Never underestimate the young. If those over 30 were sent to fight our wars on the front line, there would be no more wars. We learned this in Vietnam, when many of our platoon were wiped out and after the firefights (this is my best friends - purple heart and Silver Star decorated's story- not mine) turning over the bodies of the enemy- and  found they were children.

So children, our young ones, and our old ones- are also very much a  part of the essential fabric of our society. Do not put out to pasture the old and voice of experience, or ignore the voice of youth with its ability to come up with new solutions and the strength and overlook the incredible pure power of youth. In the battle against the Pandemic- you may be amazed to find not us taking care of them- but they taking care of us. That is why what I write is geared so a 12 year old child with dead parents and other children. So they will not  have to wade through all the morass of trying to be important adults, and cut to the chase, and learn how to survive. That child sitting watching Harry Potter or playing Nintendo feverishly, will pilot our jets, fill the ranks of our armies, lead our nation, and forge the road to our future.

Thanks to all you posting, data mining, and sharing a part of your valuable time, and it is valuable no matter what your profession, whether you are disabled, young, old, or pretty darn old, like some of us. Not a lot of answers here, but we are working on it. And as President Obama has stated in the voice and spirit of his administration- they are looking to us- to us for the answers. And we as a nation hold them true to their promises, and expect them to listen when we find them.

I spoke to one of President Obama's  workers- last week and I will quote you what was told me exactly-
"this administration strives to be different than any other administration before it. It is our goal to reach down to the individual. I was given a fax number and told- the president reads his mail- and I can assure you if you follow the steps I have given you- what you have to say - will be read."

Well, it is time to start writing. It is time to realize there is an opportunity to bypass the corporations and the lobbies and special interest groups that have controlled our government for decades.

And this challenge, this Pandemic, is a great starting point to begin to establish a new relationship between the common person, the laymen, the worker, even the child, with our leaders.

Most certainly this is the change we were promised and now request  to be implemented. The transparency with which the spreading virus which is a threat can be handled, will be the capstone of the 100 days- a shining star of accomplishment- and beyond the economy- provide new credibility and a demonstration of the leadership this country needs, expects, and demands.

There is no other way. The mistakes and policies which caused the failures of the past will not work anymore.

So, all that aside. I am sure those of us trying to find the truth on the Internet somehow, will and put it up for you to read. It will be documented, there will be proof, and it there will be no other agenda than to inform the people of the way things really are in our country and the rest of the world.

Yes, I know. All this is very dramatic and political sounding. But there is content. There is direction and there is a path and most of all as you stack your supplies and get ready- there is hope
We will not all die, and with courage and the help of God - for those of you who still believe in such things and can separate the true believers from those are  filled with hate and judgment and sicken me to be called Christian, when they lack the compassion,love and caring of the very one they claim to worship. With a true spirit of unity, of caring, and with the truth, we can do what we must do. Survive.

Medclinician
ejayb View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejayb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 11:23am
Medclinician,

Sorry, but this sounds like something I'd hear on a Sunday talk show.  We are actively seeing data being manipulated, protocols being changed to lower the reported numbers and .gov experts dialing up and down their message to create a happy middle ground.

This administration is playing the same games we've seen since the 90's.   We deserve better, we are trying to keep our children and families safe.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 1:39pm
[QUOTE=ejayb]Medclinician,

Sorry, but this sounds like something I'd hear on a Sunday talk show.  We are actively seeing data being manipulated, protocols being changed to lower the reported numbers and .gov experts dialing up and down their message to create a happy middle ground.

=============================================

comment: total agreement. If you review the data and other threads - especially one put up last night - numbers were changed dropping deaths to 20 - 19 in Mexico and 1 in the U.S.
Posted multiple links and buffers showing numbers even yesterday over 100.

======================================================

This administration is playing the same games we've seen since the 90's.   We deserve better, we are trying to keep our children and families safe.

=======================================================

comment: Yes- we deserve - different. Different is going past the media spin- there is a post on the exact science of spin I put up last night. The blogs, data mining, and tracking by users on the Internet is a tool. Just as video killed the radio star, Internet dismembers what was effective on classic media because:

1) It is too big to control (even for China). The means to leak information on the net is a Titan compared to trying to keep track of cable and newspaper, magazines, and books. The net is instant. A post can go up in seconds. One site I had put up, took about 20 minutes from the creation of the name to the population of a fair sized spread of traffic to the site and server set up.

2) censorship is very hard. You approach the elements of pure democracy, as Greece, where anyone, any age nearly, can post a communication that may reach thousands in minutes. Some types of propagation by spammer is illegal- but I knew a guy into Viagra promotion who could data collect from sold lists and mass broadcast 40,000,000 messages to people in 40 minutes. Using a high speed anonymizer and a 1,000 spawn points he could evade the tracking, and churn out Viagra buys links.

3) We are losing the edge in cyber technology and even in propaganda wars. A media flood which knocks out other views, or tells us all about Jello salad instead of much more crucial stories, no longer works as well. You can appoint the head of Google on the White House staff but that does not control the net. Data Hawks and those capable of rabidly gathering information from over 2,000 search engines, can run circles around some operators like a jet ski around a row boat.  When our enemies join together and start sharing technology- it is overwhelming.

4) The break in the security of the net by enemies, can hit a center point with a DOS (denial of service) which is brutal. Two years ago an Israel site was toasted by the bad guys in minutes and could not get back up for days. Combining articles from other nations in different languages,which often exceed the practical threashhold of monitor leaves large gaping holes.

5) It is for this various reasons and thanks to us dataminers and computer programs who can salvage and bring new data to bloggers who blast it international is seconds,, the net cannot be effectively black holed media wise. Too many people postng news. Too many bloggers - case in point the guy I wrote to in Nigeria that go access (approval) to use the captain's one computer in the villlage to give us stories of nurses and doctors runnning away from patients, whole villages wiped out. Since we have translators in many languages, or even crude translation we can snach  in minutes.

Hiring a PR company or spin doctors doesn't cut it anymore. I agree with everything on your post.

MC
ejayb View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejayb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 2:34pm
I'm referring more to the government officials, not the media.  When the DHS, HHS and Vice President can come out with three different points of view within a 24 hour period, then it becomes apparent that they are simply floating trial balloons to massage their message.  When we see reports from government sites change and other countries (like Mexico) completely rewrite events of the past 3 weeks, we have got a HUGE problem on our hands as citizens.  Watching the financial mess and now this, I'm seeing the .gov working hardest to protect themselves first. 

I generally try to lurk in most forums I read, but you seem to be generally knowledgeable of the response process for healthcare contingencies.  I just want to express that we should not trust this administration blindly. 

Annie View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 6:50pm
This new virus is taking us into uncharted territories, we must be creative to fight the death it yearns.
As our case is new, we must think and act anew. (Abraham Lincoln)
Dense populations are going to be hit very hard by this pestiferousness little (flu virus) monster. "Technologist"
Stock 3 months water, food, weapon/ammo, meds, supplies, and some money at home.
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 1:34am
Originally posted by medclinician medclinician wrote:

[QUOTE=ejayb]Medclinician, Sorry, but this sounds like
something I'd hear on a Sunday talk show.  We are actively seeing data
being manipulated, protocols being changed to lower the reported
numbers and .gov experts dialing up and down their message to create a
happy middle ground.

Yesterday we have NO confirmed cases of H1N1 in Oregon, and today a child being released from a hospital stay AND a teen in intensive care? Mild?? Today we have three confirmed cases

Im not confident the flu is slowing down ANYWHERE! Also, a little worried that it probably isn't as mild as it's being reported. Three confirmed cases with two requiring hospitalization, one intensive care, seems a bit harsh to me! And there's the way this info doesn't show up on searches for H1N1 swine flu, only if I specify Washington/Oregon and/or my specific city!

By the time I hear of new confirmed/probable cases, they are dated back by days and/or the sick are being RELEASED fromt he hospital? They were actually being confirmed as I was reading headlines such as "FLU NOT IN NORTHWEST YET"! Amazing to me. Coincidence that "confirmed" cases consistently get released, to the public, after the CDC has reported its numbers for the day? THE CDC STILL ISN'T SHOWING ANY CONFIRMED CASES IN OREGON!!

Even though Oregon has started its own testing facility it is sitting on 19 testS until the CDC can verify (double-check) its first five test results & allows them to release results independently. Who knows how many of the 19 are already confirmed? Oregon State does, but is waiting for thumbs-up by CDC!

Could Mexico be saying their cases of flu is on the decline because their ECONOMY is on the decline and they want to halt it getting even worse? Umm, probably? How about likely?

I DON'T want over-reporting or hype...but how about some timely information, truths and facts to allow educated decisions concerning our health to be made? Too much to ask? Evidently!

Be specific when doing searches on the internet. Check out your communities...hopefully you won't be as surprised as I was to find it in my BACKYARD! Literally less than 10 miles from my home! Good Luck.

"IN THE BEGINNING OF A CHANGE THE PATRIOT IS A SCARCE MAN, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot. Mark Twain, 1904
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:06am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Mexico_and_U.S._swine_influenza_outbreak

(you must go to the link for all jumps- since the sheer mass of these posted here would take hours to implement. This is posted for reading- the references will be posted at the end of the series)

Detected human cases by country
Country Cases Deaths
Laboratory
confirmed
Suspected (probable)[1] Confirmed
(suspected)
Totals 1038 4690+§ 26 (101)§
Mexico 590[2] 2,500±§[3] 25[4] (101)[5]
United States 253[6] 98 (746+)[6] 1[7]
Canada 101[8] 27[9] 0
Spain 44[10] 67[10] 0
United Kingdom 18[11] 716 (9)[11] 0
Germany 8[12] 20[12] 0
New Zealand 6[13] 69 (11)[13] 0
Israel 4[14] 2[14] 0
France 2[15] 33 (7)[15] 0
El Salvador 2[16] 3[17] 0
Colombia 1[18] 108[19] 0
Costa Rica 1[20] 64 (3)[20] 0
South Korea 1[21] 10 (2)[21] 0
Switzerland 1[22] 23[22] 0
Italy 1[23] 13[23] 0
Hong Kong 1[7] 3[24] 0
Austria 1[25] 2[25] 0
Denmark 1[7] 0 0
Ireland 1[26] 0 0
Netherlands 1[7] 0 0
Other countries 0 152+ (2) 0
§ The Mexican government stopped reporting suspected cases and deaths on April 30, 2009.[3]
[show]Countries that have unconfirmed cases only
Country Probable[1] Suspected cases Deaths: Confirmed
(suspected)
Sweden 1[27] 3[27] 0
Portugal 1[28] 0 0
Australia 0 35[29] 0
Czech Republic 0 21[30] 0
Argentina 0 17[31] 0
Brazil 0 15[32] 0
Bahamas 0 10[33] 0
Honduras 0 9[34] 0
Peru 0[35] 7[35] 0
Chile 0 5[36] 0
Belize 0 4[37] 0
Taiwan 0 4[38] 0
Guatemala 0 5[16] 0
India 0 3[39] 0
Singapore 0 3[40] 0
Venezuela 0 3[41] 0
Barbados 0 2[33] 0
Thailand 0 2[42] 0
Norway 0 1+[43][44] 0
Benin 0 1[45] 0
Malaysia 0 1[46] 0
Panama 0 1[47] 0
Uruguay 0 1[48] 0
Number of countries with confirmed cases: 20.

Number of countries with confirmed or suspected cases: 43.

Suspected and probable cases have not been confirmed as being due to this strain of influenza by laboratory tests, although some other strains may have been ruled out.
 v  d  e 

(I have a LOT to put up- as a lot was put up on Wikipedia to get the data out there- will try to break this up into segments. This data was collected with considerable effort and the citations backing it are over a hundred different sources)

Point: Our most effective tool in combating false data - is real data. WHENEVER cases are probable or anything is "iffy" it is documented here. As opposed to the Egyptian Circus (masses of probable cases - bear in mind that these probables are a different breed. There are independent sources to verify much of the differences. Goal here- is to get you data-

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:32am

Overview - Swine Pandemic 101a for the Laymen

(a comprehensive and intensive summary of what happened)

The 2009 swine flu outbreak is the epidemic of a new strain of influenza virus that was clinically identified in April 2009.[49] The new virus strain is a type of influenza A (H1N1) virus, commonly called the swine flu.[50] It is currently a phase 5 outbreak, one level below an official pandemic.

The time and location of the outbreak is still unknown, but it was first detected in two cases in Southern California in late March. When this novel virus was publicized, officials in Mexico suspected a link to an outbreak of late-season flu cases they were finding. Mexican news media report that the outbreak may have started in February near a Smithfield Foods pig plant amid complaints about its intensive farming practices.[51][52]

comment: This is a very likely point of origin with a patient 0 - a young girl as well as 60% of the village who came down with the flu. Although there may be earlier reports and cases, so far I have found (IMHO) this to be a key flashpoint in Veracruz near the infamous Smithfield Food Plant. Nearby during the outbreak in February which was directly reported to CDC from a local agency- there was a "swarm of flies" (almost Biblical in scope) around mounds of feces which made the spread of something highly probable.

Within days, hundreds more suspected cases were discovered in Mexico, with more cases also showing up in the U.S. and several other countries. By late April, officials from the U.N.'s World Health Organization (WHO), based in Switzerland, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the U.S., were expressing serious concern about the flu outbreak, worried that it might become a worldwide flu pandemic.[53]

By April 28, the new strain was confirmed to have spread to Spain, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Israel, and the virus was suspected in many other nations. As a result, WHO raised its alert level to "Phase 5" out of 6 possible, which it defines as a "signal that a pandemic is imminent" [54] By the end of April, 300 schools had closed across the United States and the Mexican government ordered a multi-day shutdown of all non-essential activities in the government and private sector, amounting to a shutdown of most of the country's economy.[55] At the same time, however, many scientists were reaching a consensus that the epidemic was so far "relatively mild," and believed that it could be less fatal than previous pandemics.[56]

The new strain is an apparent reassortment of four strains of influenza A virus subtype H1N1.[57] Analysis by the CDC identified the four component strains as one endemic in humans, one endemic in birds, and two endemic in pigs (swine).[57] However, other scientists have stated that analyses of the 2009 swine flu (A/H1N1) viral genome "suggests that all segments are of swine origin",

comment: This is VERY important data. This is verifiable and directly conflicts with scientific spin now out there. The point there IS NOT AVIAN flu in this despite the repitition of this on hundreds of pages is backed by several prominent and qualified virologist. These finding are intensely disputed by the Pork indusry and even the name Swine Flu has been changed to avert web searching and also attempt to prevent economic damage.

"[w]e are puzzled about sources of information that affirm that the virus is a reassortment of avian, human and swine viruses,"[58] and "this preliminary analysis suggests at least two swine ancestors to the current H1N1, one of them related to the triple reassortant viruses isolated in North America in 1998."[59] One swine strain was widespread in the United States, the other in Eurasia.[57] Worldwide the common human H1N1 influenza virus affects millions of people every year, according to WHO officials, and "these annual epidemics result in about three to five million cases of severe illness, and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths" annually.[60] In industrialized countries most of these annual deaths occur in people aged 65 or older.[60] By May 2, some pigs in Canada were diagnosed with H1N1.[61] Although some influenza strains can spread between species, the influenza virus is killed by normal cooking procedures, so there is no risk of infection from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products.[62]

comment: here is some fairly solid data on the orginal source of this

Medclinician

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:35am

First recognition

The new strain of swine flu was first recognized as such when the CDC received a sample on April 14 from a patient who fell ill on March 30 in San Diego County, California. A second case was confirmed on April 17 who had fallen ill on March 28 in Imperial County, California.[63][64]

Spread within Mexico

The outbreak was first detected in Mexico City, where surveillance began picking up a surge in cases of influenza-like illness (ILI) starting March 18.[65] The surge was assumed by Mexican authorities to be "late-season flu" (which usually coincides with a mild Influenzavirus B peak)[66] until April 21,[67][68] when a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention alert concerning two isolated cases of a novel swine flu was reported in the media.[69] Some samples were sent to the U.S.-based CDC on April 18.[70] The Mexican cases were confirmed by the CDC and the World Health Organization to be a new strain of H1N1.[65][71]

Cases were also reported in the states of San Luis Potosí, Hidalgo, Querétaro and Mexico State.[72] Mexican Health Minister José Ángel Córdova on April 24, said "We’re dealing with a new flu virus that constitutes a respiratory epidemic that so far is controllable."[72]

The first death from swine flu occurred on April 13, when a diabetic woman from Oaxaca died from respiratory complications.[73][74] The Mexican fatalities are alleged to be mainly young adults of 25 to 45, a common trait of pandemic flu.[57][75] Although there have been reports of 152 "probable deaths"[76] in Mexico City and "more than 100 dead from swine flu",[77] the WHO had received reports of only 16 confirmed deaths total and explicitly denied the larger figure as of April 29.[78][79]

Seasonal variation

The high humidity of summer and the increase in exposure to ultraviolet light typically leads to the end of the flu season as the virus becomes less likely to spread.[80] In Mexico City, May marks the end of the dry season, and experts speculate that the spread of the swine flu may slow.[81] On April 30 Mexican Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova voiced cautious optimism that the spread of the swine flu might be slowing in that country.[82] However, the outbreak comes at the beginning of the flu season for Southern Hemisphere countries such as New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and parts of South America.[83]

Medclinician

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 4:40am

Once again go to Wiki link to use jumps which are very valuable. This is posted in the case the article may no longer be present over time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Mexico_and_U.S._swine_influenza_outbreak

International cases and responses

Confirmed cases followed by death     Confirmed cases     Unconfirmed or suspected cases See also: Live map of swineflu, H1N1 live map

The new strain has spread widely beyond Mexico and the U.S., with confirmed cases in eighteen countries and suspected cases in forty-two. Many countries have advised their inhabitants not to travel to infected areas. Countries including Australia, China, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea and Thailand are monitoring visitors returning from flu-affected areas to identify people with fever and respiratory symptoms. Many countries have also issued warnings to visitors of flu-affected areas to contact a doctor immediately if they had flu-like symptoms.

Mexico's schools, universities, and all public events will be closed from April 24, 2009 to May 6, 2009.[84][85] By May 3, 2009, more than 400 schools in the U.S. closed due to confirmed or probable cases in students or staff, affecting 250,000 students.[86][87][88][89]

Government actions against pigs and pork

Although there is no evidence that the virus is transmitted by food,[90] and influenza A viruses are generally killed by heating,[90] some countries banned import and sale of pork products "as a precaution against swine flu".[91][92]

Several countries, including Serbia, China and Russia banned the import of pork products from North America in general as a response to the outbreak, despite assurances from the WHO that the disease is not spread through pork.[93] On April 29, the Egyptian Government decided to kill all 300,000 pigs in Egypt, despite a lack of evidence that the pigs had, or were even suspected of having, the virus.[94] This led to clashes between pig owners and the police in Cairo.[95]

Transmission of flu virus from man to animal

In Alberta, Canada, provincial and federal officials announced on May 2 that a 2,200-head pig herd in central Alberta was under quarantine after preliminary findings indicated some of the animals were infected with swine flu. It is thought that a man who had visited Mexico infected the pigs, in contrast to pigs infecting humans. [96]

comment: This is VERY significant. We are finding that it is hard to trace the pig to human transmission- but with this proof of human to pig we are setting up the mixing bowl scenario in the entire Southern Hemisphere to breed and mutate a more lethal and deadly virus for the 2nd wave- which could be very serious.

Alberta agriculture minister George Groeneveld said that health officials expected no problems with export of pork from Canada to the United States, and that there was "absolutely no evidence" that the flu virus can be transmitted through eating pork.[97]

Medclinician

This has been the cliche comment over and over. 

Medclinician

This is the litany or absolute unmovable stance of CDC-

• People cannot catch swine flu from eating pork or pork products. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.

Question: if there is no danger of catching the bacteria from pork- why be concerning about cooking it to a certain temperature to kill the virus if there is no way humans can catch if from eating it?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic