Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Incubation Period for H1N1?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinijocaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Incubation Period for H1N1?
    Posted: June 21 2009 at 5:40pm
DS 13's first symptoms were  Sunday,June 7, he was feeling all better by Tuesday, June 9.  Very mild.  Today, June 21st, dd7 has a fever (100-101), general soreness and a tummy ache.  Is it at all possible that she could have gotten swine flu from ds?  Or is it more likely that if she has it, she got it elsewhere?  Of course I know it could be something else entirely.  She has asthma and I am being very watchful.

What are they saying the incubation period is now?  I had heard 3 days, then 10.  Does anybody really know is is it all guesswork at this point?
setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 6:20pm
Incubation period : Although the precise incubation period has not been established for H1N1 influenza A infection, it could range from one to seven days, and most likely from one to four days
"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 6:57pm
This one says similar 2-4 days 

and also adds:
Most people are contagious for 7 days however some persons especially children can shed the virus for 10 days or longer.

looks like information from past H1N1 Swine Flu infections

Public health document with a reference to the CDC

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Tinijocaro View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinijocaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 8:39pm
interesting-I was using the wrong term when I said "incubation period".  That would mean how long the virus brews until it makes itself known.  I meant how long he could be contagious for.

So it seems possible that my son could have been contagious for up to 10 days, which means that he could have infected my daughter(s).  Now the older daughter (11) has a fever.  She also had strep throat recently, so I'm hoping that is what both girls have.
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 9:02pm
Tinijocaro

I hope all gos well with your son & daughters!

My daughter had strep this year to, ended with laringitis for like 5 days.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 7:48am
hi... it is a good idea to talk about symtoms and if we notice illness in our communities.

I looked around for strep test kits.  I know that Walgreens carries test kits.  It may be a good idea to have one.  That way you will be able to rule out flu if you feel worried in the fall.
Some will be leary of going to the Doc.. if flu seems worse in the fall.  Breathing difficulty
is a good reason to seek help.

Seek Help for FLU IF

When to Seek Emergency Medical Care
Get medical care right away if the sick person at home:
has difficulty breathing or chest pain
has purple or blue discoloration of the lips
is vomiting and unable to keep liquids down
has signs of dehydration such as dizziness when standing, absence of urination, or in infants, a lack of tears when they cry
has seizures (for example, uncontrolled convulsions)
is less responsive than normal or becomes confused 

strep test
(please scroll down the page)

see all test kits

setag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote setag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 7:12pm
good idea, Mary.

I do hope you and your family are well, Tinijocaro.
"Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning." - Thomas Alva Edison
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinijocaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 4:42pm
Update:  Younger dd has strep, older dd put on antibiotics too, since she just finished a bout of strep.  Both girls better.

Next day, younger ds (9) got a fever, sore throat, headache and sore chest.  All this illness in my house, plus already having had swine flu is making me very nervous every time someone gets a fever.  He tested negative for strep and Influenza A.  Kept him home from school that day, fever went away, he felt better and went out and played last night with friends for a bit.

He went to school today, and after school took a 3 hour nap.  I just knew he was sick again.  He woke up with a 103 degree fever and severe headache.  He was also coughing a lot.  Keep in mind, I had just finished reading the details about how the 6 year old girl in Canada was fine one minute, dead the next.

I can easily see how the hospitals are going to be overrun with people thinking they have swine flu, and people who really do have it.  I'm not at all a nervous person but these recent sudden deaths have me very nervous.

He'l get a strep test tomorrow AM, and if negative, I may insist on a retest of Influenza A.

In the past two months, this is all the illness my kids have had, if you're interested:

DS #1  13:  Two rounds of strep throat

DD#1  11   Three rounds of strep, a foot infection (stepped on a Lego)  that started heading up her leg.  Turned out to be a strep infection that required IV antibiotics, plus a 10 day course of heavy antibiotics.  A broken arm last Tuesday.

DS #2  9   Two mystery fevers in three days.  Too many swine flu like symptoms for my liking.

DD # 2  7  One round of strep.

If you're still reading, can you even believe all this?  Most of it has been in the past month.  Not at all looking forward to the fall.
kristikaylene View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristikaylene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 7:37pm
Do your kids still have their tonsils?  We had strep after strep after strep with my son until his were removed.  My dd didn't have it as often, but it would trigger bad arthritis flares and was very hard on her...had her tonsils removed and
all was well.

I believe they told us that tonsillectomy takes care of chronic strep 97% of the time...of course, it is surgery and shouldn't be taken lightly, but it wouldn't hurt to consult with an ENT...strep (as you know!) can be very dangerous and not just a "sore throat".
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinijocaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 7:51pm
You know, I'm at the point of wanting to take her to an ENT, but is this a good time to thinkabout surgery?  I'd hate to wear her down and have her get swine flu and not be able to recover from it. 

kristikaylene View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristikaylene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 8:14pm
I don't know...my brother is getting a total knee replacement and they are trying to get him in ASAP, hopefully so that he can be in, out and sufficiently in recovery before things really get bad. 

The bad thing is that you don't know if it will get bad tomorrow, or in 6 months, or never...

I suppose you could visit the ENT and *then* make any decisions...rarely do they say they must come out NOW.   Typical recovery time from tonsillectomy is 2 weeks (or less).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic