Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Risks?To Using Live Viruses/ Animal/Insect / Cells
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Risks?To Using Live Viruses/ Animal/Insect / Cells

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Risks?To Using Live Viruses/ Animal/Insect / Cells
    Posted: June 28 2009 at 10:08am

Don't read any of this if you are having a down day..... and don't read any of this if you are feeling great....

.................................................................................................................................................
 A New York man was recently awarded $22.5 million from the maker of an

oral polio vaccine that was given to his daughter. He claims that the oral

vaccine given to his daughter caused him to contract polio more than 30

years ago.

The man contracted polio when changing his daughter’s diaper shortly

after she had been given the vaccine. The vaccine contained a live polio

virus which was transmitted to the father of the baby girl.

At the time, the man was 31 years old. He was a supervisor at a Wall Street

securities firm. Days after changing the diaper, the man fell ill. The

following month, he contracted polio and eventually lost the use of his

legs.

Last week, a court in New York ruled that the vaccine’s maker, Lederle

Laboratories, was liable for the man contracting polio and losing the use of

his legs. While the verdict and award of $22.5 million currently stand, the

company is planning on appealing the decision.

While there are risks to using live viruses when inoculating anyone against

a disease, typically, one only thinks of the risk to the person receiving the

vaccine.

***Any vaccine, at least now, requires that individuals be fully informed of

the risks of vaccinations in general and that vaccine in particular.

Typically these warnings include information about the expected side

effects and what to do in the event that the side effects are more severe.

http://www.lowabram.com/man-contracts-polio-awarded-damages.cfm

***This law has been WAIVED by the Govt. for 'Pandemic' vaccines.

SV40 Cancer Foundation

The SV40 Cancer Foundation was founded by Raphaele and Michael

Horwin. The Horwin's son Alexander Horwin was born on June 7, 1996 and

was given the oral polio vaccine in November 1997.

On August 10, 1998, Alexander was diagnosed with medulloblastoma, a

malignant brain cancer, leading to his death on January 31, 1999. The

Horwins contend that the polio vaccine their son ingested was

contaminated with SV40, leading to his death.[5][6]

The SV40 Cancer Foundation views their mission as raising public

awareness of this threat, and lobbying for more research funding for this

area.

wikipedia

SV40 was the 40th virus found in rhesus monkey kidney cells when these cells ... poliovaccine administered to some children until the end of the 1990's. ...
www.sv40foundation.org/ - Cached - Similar

1. [DOC] 

Nearly 50 Years after Develoment of the Polio Vaccine, SV40 ...

File Format: Microsoft Word
    In 1963, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) found that nearly 4 million U.S. children ... The three cohorts received vaccine containing either high SV40 titers, ... In the mid-1990s, investigators began using polymerase chain reaction ... there is still no evidence that SV40contamination of some early batches of ...
    www.anellomedicalwriting.com/SV40-%20HMS%20Beagle.doc - Similar
  2. The vaccine guide: risks and benefits for children and adults - Google Books Result

by Randall Neustaedter - 2002 - Health & Fitness - 343 pages
    Skeptics still questioned whether the SV40 found in tumors was the same virus as that transmitted through the polio vaccine of the 1950s and 60s, ...
    books.google.com/books?isbn=1556434235...

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 10:44am
old but relevant...

Senate Moves Towards Forced Vaccinations, Vaccine Damage Immunity for Drug Companies

Associated Press | December 2, 2005
By ANDREW BRIDGES

CONGRESS SET TO PASS LAW ELIMINATING LIABILITY FOR VACCINE INJURIES

By creating a federal agency shielded from public scrutiny, some lawmakers think they can speed the development and testing of new drugs and vaccines needed to respond to a bioterrorist attack or super-flu pandemic.

The proposed Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Agency, or BARDA, would be exempt from long-standing open records and meetings laws that apply to most government departments, according to legislation approved Oct. 18 by the Senate health committee.

Those exemptions would streamline the development process, safeguard national security and protect the proprietary interests of drug companies, say Republican backers of the bill. The legislation also proposes giving manufacturers immunity from liability in exchange for their participation in the public-private effort.

"We must ensure the federal government acts as a partner with the private sector, providing the incentives and protections necessary to bring more and better drugs and vaccines to market faster," Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., said when the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions approved the bill.

The agency would provide the funding for development of treatments and vaccines to protect the United States from natural pandemics as well as chemical, biological and radiological agents.

But it is the secrecy and immunity provisions of the legislation that have alarmed patient rights and open government advocates. The agency would be exempt from the Freedom of Information and Federal Advisory Committee acts, both considered crucial for monitoring government accountability.

"There is no other agency that I am aware of where the agency is totally exempt either from FOIA or FACA," said Pete Weitzel, coordinator of the Coalition of Journalists for Open Government. The coalition is an alliance of journalism groups, including the American Society of Newspaper Editors and Associated Press Managing Editors, that wrote to lawmakers seeking amendments to the bill. "That is a cause for major concern and should raise major policy concerns," Weitzel said.

Burr spokesman Doug Heye said the provisions would keep competitors from gaining proprietary information through FOIA. However, confidential business information already is exempt from FOIA.

"There's no secrecy involved in BARDA," Heye said. "That is absolutely false. This is an agency that will be putting out information daily."

Some Democrats question whether the public would accept drugs or vaccines developed in conjunction with the agency, citing the abortive 2003 effort to vaccinate 500,000 front-line health care workers against smallpox. Only about 40,000 workers ultimately received the vaccine amid concerns about the vaccine's safety, which health authorities initially downplayed.

"Republican leaders in Congress are now proposing a plan that would make exactly the same mistake," Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., said in a statement. "Their plan will protect companies that make ineffective or harmful medicines, and because it does not include compensation for those injured by a vaccine or drug, it will discourage first responders and patients from taking medicines to counter a biological attack or disease outbreak."

The bill does provide for limited compensation. However, another provision would grant drug companies immunity unless "willful misconduct" can be shown.
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America said it was reviewing the bill.

Another industry group, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, declined comment.
The National Vaccine Information Center, an advocacy group, called the legislation "a drug company stockholder's dream and a consumer's worst nightmare."

The proposed law comes amid growing concern about pandemics and the government's ability to meet such threats. For instance, the United State needs another three to five years to develop the manufacturing capacity to produce 300 million doses of flu vaccine, Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."
The agency would improve on Project BioShield, a barely two-year-old program also meant to encourage production of vaccines and drugs, Heye said.

"While some progress has been made, we still haven't seen the participation from companies, universities and research institutions in developing vaccines we might need to protect us from the next threat, whatever that might be," Heye said. "One of the reasons is (they) don't want to put their very existence on the line."

Dr. Sidney Wolfe, director of Public Citizen's Health Research Group, said the agency as proposed would represent a setback to decades of progress in opening up to the public the process of testing the safety and efficacy of drugs.

"These provisions are extremely dangerous," Wolfe said. "The fact that they are being proposed, really exploiting people's fears about pandemics and epidemics, is outrageous and goes backward on the progress on the use of the Freedom of Information Act and Federal Advisory Committee Act to increase public scrutiny and increase the correctness of decisions that are made."
Republican and Democratic lawmakers alike agree the drug industry needs some protections to encourage it to produce emergency stocks of vaccines and drugs, but Democrats have balked at providing blanket immunity without first establishing a compensation fund for patients.
Republicans are pushing for liability protections for vaccine manufacturers on other fronts as well. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., is seeking to add such protections to a defense appropriations bill.
Frist spokeswoman Amy Call said drug company concerns about liability are real.
"There's really no financial incentive for them to get into the market, sell to the government at a reduced rate and then open themselves up to losses that could potentially bankrupt them," Call said.

The push for liability exemptions may force the Burr bill to the sidelines until the next session of Congress, Republican and Democratic aides said. But Call said Frist intends to pursue the legislation.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 10:45am

All about Monkey (simian) virus 40

abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 1:31pm
Mary,
Another excellent post.

This is my opinion based on  the facts you present. There should be no logical reason to not allow the Freedom to obtain information on what is used in a vaccine unless it is something that is dangerous to begin with.  In which case it should not be used.

In the event that a vaccine is produced that would have the potential in some individuals to cause harm, then the maker and the government need to present the public with the facts. If then the public chooses to take the risk it is a informed consent.  That could happen. If a killer virus like Avain were to be easily spread and a fast vaccine produced, a computer can figure out the odds of how many people may be adversely effected by it, and from what. That information should be shared.

My son with lupus absolutely can not use a live virus. Therefore the choice is easy, but he has the right to make that choice. To think of him putting his arm out in trust to only be vaccinated with something that could cause his death would be cruel and unusual treatment and torture.

If people are dying left and right and a vaccine has a 70% chance of not causing side effects but a 30% chance of causing a bad side effect, it is up to each individual to make their own educated choice.

There could be many circumstances where we may need that vaccine, and the makers would have to be relieved of responsibility, we will have to trust that they are in the business to save people and not kill them. We will have to believe that they have our greater interests in mind. One way would be to vaccinate their families with a random innoculation chosen by a citizen. That would sure be a test wouldnt it??

In deadly situations we have to throw the rules out the window. There is never a situation where lying to the public should be a option.

With Avain at a eighty percent death rate, or higher in a pandemic, it has that right now and that is when the patient has the ability to be put on a vent and has all kinds of highley skilled people caring for them, in a pandemic the average person would have no vent and no medical care, so if a vaccine came out that would be 100% effective in stopping it, but as many as 30% of the people may die or suffer a side effect I would go with the vaccine myself, the math is with me as far as odds go.

I think that most of the people benefited from the Polio vaccine. I know my father considered Jonas Saulk  one of the biggest heroes of his time. My dad was crippled due to a accident, he knew what it was like to go through life crippled and he felt that a disease that made people crippled was a horrible thing. I hear much more about the devastation of Polio then I do the 1918 flu from my folks and my grandparents.

I know that the contaminated polio vaccine was used, if this was a deliberate choice of a manufacturer, they should be sued out of escistance.

abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 1:45pm
Sometimes I shudder at my own spelling in that last post.

I thought of something you all need to know if any of you do not already.

iIt is not just medical companies and labs that make these choices. In fact, I would venture a guess that they are way better then the average manufactuer.

You know how most manufactuers decide whether to recall a product for safety?? When the defect is discovered they do the math, and base their recall on what is going to cost them less. Law suits or the recall.

Furthermore even if their company discovers their own quality control mistake that could be or they even know is a safety risk, if no one has a problem you will never find out about it.

They will NEVER tell the public. Often it is not written down, so there is no paper trail. A Qaulity control manager is told something by a line worker, and passes it someone else higher up, if they determine it would cost more money to fix, the consumer is in a heap of troble.

Often car manufactuers will recall when most of the cars are not in use any longer.

I know this because my husband has been in manufacuering all our lives.
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 1:56pm
A personal story.

My dad was a construction worker. He put in asbestos in the sixties when it was considered a miracle insulater not only did it insulate but it was also fire retardent.

We all know that later asbestos was not so good and removed due to the cancer and lung disease causing side effects.

One of the companies that is huge, I am not going to name it for fear of trouble. Think of the number three and a ltter of the alphabet.  This company produced respirators (masks for over the nose and mouth) to construction workers to protect them when they went back in and removed this stuff.

It was rumored that the masks used did not in fact filter out the smaller pieces of asbetos. Therefore the workers went in thinking they were protected and were not.

My  father died of asbestosis. Before his death, in a testimony for  a class action suit against number three alphabet letter, he was asked all kinds of personal questions involving his first marriage which was sixty years prior to the time he was being questioned. The point of this was to discredit his testimony, so this mega company, considered one of the foremost manufactuers of all things scientific and inovative, tried their hardest to make him look old, senile. 

My father responded that he prefered to not talk about his first marriage. My sister and brother in law who were present at the testimony were disgusted at the lengths this company would go to, to avoid having to pay for what they knew was their mistake. You see all the masks or respirators in question were no longer available to be tested to see if they in fact were defective.

My brother in law remembered that my dad, had a case of them left over in his garage. He informed the attorneys and the suit was settled out of court. This company by the way, one of the leading manufactuers of the N-95 masks we are all buying for bf and other virus.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 3:16pm
They will NEVER tell the public.

we all remember the case of, expired with new label slapped over.

Never worry about spelling... some of mine makes for humorus reading.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 3:24pm
abcdefg... your posts are making me think about how delicate we all are.  Our skin is not some solid protection.  If a tiny particle of anything... like a virus can make us so very il.

And we all herd in to these eateries...no wonder there are so many stomach aches etc.

If we invited a few hundred people through our kitchens, every day, how well would we be.

I may curtail eating out.

(thanks for sharing about your fam.)
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 5:45pm

Ant%202%20-%20Click%20image%20to%20download.
                                          Syringe%20-%20Click%20image%20to%20download.

Want Real BuGs?

PanBlok

(made with only the finest insects)

PanBlok(R), is made using Protein Sciences's proprietary baculovirus and insect cell

manufacturing technology.

.....................................................................................

Daniel D. Adams, Chairman, President and CEO stated, "We are in the process of

transferring our proprietary manufacturing technology to facilities in other countries and

we are setting up a foundation to ensure vaccine availability for U.N. member countries

consistent with the commitment we made to the World Health Organization and the

United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland on May 19, 2009." He added, "Using our

proprietary technology, licensees could be producing vaccine in as little as two to three

weeks if they are currently working with insect cells and in a few months if they are

now producing monoclonal antibodies."

PSC is in late stage discussions with various parties in the United States and abroad to

conduct the first human clinical trials of an H1N1 vaccine. Such studies will evaluate

different doses, two dosing regimes and an adjuvanted formulation of the vaccine.

About PSC

PSC is a privately held biopharmaceutical company based in Meriden, Connecticut,

whose mission it is to save lives and improve health, by effectively responding to our

changing world with innovative vaccines and biopharmaceuticals. PSC uses recombinant

DNA technology to make novel human and veterinary prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines

and diagnostics. The active ingredients in all of the firm's products are recombinant

proteins that are manufactured, using its patented protein expression technology, based

upon baculovirus and insect cell technology.

source-

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/154010.php

However, the caterpillars have to be fed with artificial diets and the cost of production of a dose of the biopesticide, based on Baculovirus anticarsia... what? you didn't know that?

..............................................................................................

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 5:58pm

Protein Sciences CEO Daniel Adams, in the company's Meriden lab in this 2005 photo, would not say Wednesday whether its new Mexican factory would make swine flu vaccines. (MICHAEL MCANDREWS / THE HARTFORD COURANT / October 28, 2005)

Protein Sciences Enters Deal To Run Vaccine Factory In Mexico

By ERIC GERSHON | The Hartford Courant
    May 7, 2009

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-protein-sciences-mexico-0507.artmay07,0,1898518.story

NEW HAVEN - Protein Sciences Corp., the Meriden company that said last week that it might gear up to make tens of thousands of doses of swine flu vaccine, has struck a deal with authorities in Mexico to operate a vaccine manufacturing facility there.

Company chief executive Dan Adams said Protein Sciences has not committed to manufacturing a swine flu vaccine yet — in Meriden, Mexico or anywhere else — and the Mexican factory might or might not make swine flu vaccines.

Adams said Protein Sciences officers had been in Mexico in recent days and that Mexican officials were in Connecticut on Monday.

"We have a deal with the Mexicans," he told a room of about a dozen people attending the 16th Annual Crossroads Venture Fair at New Haven's Omni Hotel.

Adams declined to disclose any of the Mexico deal's terms, including where the factory is and which Mexican authorities the company has been dealing with, saying only that some of the country's most senior political figures were involved.

The company is awaiting approval of its own vaccine for seasonal flu, made from cell cultures rather than eggs, as is typical for flu vaccines today. Protein Sciences, with $8 million in 2008 sales, provides related services to pharmaceutical companies.

The company has been struggling to close a $150 million deal with the U.S. federal government to produce vaccines for pandemic viruses, and Adams has expressed frustration with the progress, alleging that lobbying by unnamed bigger competitors had caused the delay.

"They've been jerking us around for about 15 months," he said of U.S. authorities.

Although much of the scare from last week has subsided, the outbreak of swine flu has drawn attention to Protein Sciences outside North America as well as in Mexico and the United States. The company is also in "very serious discussions" with health officials in Australia, Adams said.

The company, which says it has all the information it needs to produce a swine flu vaccine, is still trying to assess demand for it, according to Adams. He said the company does not think the disease poses "a serious threat." The factory in Mexico could also be used for making the seasonal flu vaccine Protein Sciences hopes to introduce later this year.

There is currently no vaccine for swine flu, also called H1N1, which has killed two people in the U.S. and nearly 30 in Mexico since it emerged in late April. Nearly 2,000 people have been infected worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.

The company is trying to raise $18 million to $20 million by June 1, much of it for repaying a loan related to a failed merger.

Protein Sciences plans to decide by about May 22 whether to proceed with a swine flu vaccine, Adams said. The vaccine wouldn't necessarily prevent people from catching the disease but would make it less harmful, he said.

US Government Awarded a 35 Million Dollar Contract to Protein Sciences
...................................................................................................................................

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 6:33pm
                                               Green%20wizard%20-%20Click%20image%20to%20download.           (Caterpillar Fairy)  
                Cauldron%203%20-%20Click%20image%20to%20download.

The caterpillars have to be fed with artificial diets and the cost of production of a dose

of the biopesticide... based on Baculovirus anticarsia... what? you didn't know that?

...............................................................................................................................................

Large-scale virus production in cell culture in bioreactors is a desirable developement,

since it allows virus multiplication in a smaller area and it reduces labor requirement,

in comparison with in vivo (experimentation done in live isolated cells)

books.google

Um.... ok....   Caterpillars and Baculovirus.....  used to Engineer

Bioinsecticides...AND Vaccines.

ohhh.... so that's why they needed the new law....

SUMMARY: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing to

amend the biologics regulations by

providing options to the existing requirement for the processing of live vaccines.

FDA is proposing to amend  the regulations due to advances in technology that will allow

processing of live vaccines to be performed in multiproduct manufacturing areas.

We are publishing this rule because the existing requirement regarding facilities
and equipment for processing live vaccines is too prescriptive and is no
longer necessary.

We are taking this action as part of our continuing effort to
reduce the burden of unnecessary regulations on industry and to revise
outdated regulations without diminishing public health protection.

Tenth_Door View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenth_Door Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 7:43pm
Well, I got the flu vaccine once and was so sick that I've not gotten one since.  Nor will I, ever again
It Is What It Is
Sara123 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Tenth_Door Tenth_Door wrote:

Well, I got the flu vaccine once and was so sick that I've not gotten one since.  Nor will I, ever again

Me too. I got very sick. But my husband who works in a hospital, gets flu shots every year and never has a problem. Maybe our immune systems react differently which would make mandatory shots pretty dangerous for a lot of people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic