Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Who Is Minding The Government?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Is Minding The Government?
    Posted: June 28 2009 at 12:46pm

File:The%20Cardsharps.jpg

You hear the terms all the time....

"It just passed the House.... Now it goes to the Senate."

Just so everyone knows-

Who Is Minding The Government?

United States Congress                ( Congress IS the 'House' and the Senate )

Congress is bicameral, having two legislative chambers.

the Senate

and

the 'House' of Representatives

The United States  Senate

Each U.S state is represented by two senators, regardless of population.

This ensures equal representation of each state in the Senate.

The chamber of the United States Senate is located in the north wing of the

Capitol building.

The Senate (100 members) has powers not granted to the House,

consenting to treaties

consenting or confirmation of appointments of

Cabinet secretaries,

federal judges,

other federal executive officials,

military officers and other federal uniformed officers,

as well as the impeachment trials of federal officials.

The Senate is a more deliberative body-

allowing for a more collegial and less partisan atmosphere

that is somewhat more insulated from public opinion

than the 'House'.

The Senate is considered a more prestigious body

than the 'House' on account of its longer terms,

smaller membership and

larger constituencies.

The United States House of Representatives,
....................................................................................

commonly referred to as "The House," 

"The House," is one of the two chambers of the

United States Congress; the other is the Senate.

Each state receives representation in the House in proportion to its population but is

entitled to at least one Representative. The most populous state, California, currently

has 53 representatives.

The total number of voting representatives is currently fixed at 435.[1]

The House was granted its own exclusive powers: the power to initiate revenue bills,

impeach officials, and elect the president in electoral college deadlocks.

The House meets in the south wing of the United States Capitol.

.............................................................................................

THE LOBBY    (AKA - Oligarchy , 'Special Interest' etc.  "Who runs ya baby." )

Lobbys practice the influencing of decisions made by CONGRESS (in groups or

individually).

Lobbyists are articulating their interest in CONGRESS's decisions by lobbying.

They are also known to be assisting others to express their viewpoints on the decision

making process. (many Large Corporations pay them to do this)

It includes all attempts to influence CONGRESS and officials, whether by other

legislators, constituents or organized groups.[1]

A lobbyist is a person who tries to influence

legislation by CONGRESS on behalf of a special interest or a member of a lobby.[2]

source for some of the above, wikipedia

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 1:04pm
File:Conjurer%20Bosch.jpg

The Confidence Man

People are saying,         "It doesn't matter who we elect anymore."

For the last few months a man has been traveling about the city, known as the

"Confidence Man," that is, he would go up to a perfect stranger in the street, and being a

man of genteel appearance, would easily command an interview. Upon this interview he

would say after some little conversation, "have you confidence in me to trust me with your

watch (tax dollars) until to-morrow;" the stranger at this novel request, supposing him to

be some old acquaintance not at that moment recollected,

allows him to take the (tax dollars) watch, thus placing "confidence" in the honesty of the

stranger, who walks off laughing

and the other supposing it to be a joke allows him so to do. In this way many have been

duped, and the last that we recollect was a Mr. .........   ( fill in the blank. )

taken in part from-

abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 1:10pm
Excellent post Mary, your a great educator. I love your style.
Sara123 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 1:33pm
Good post, Mary.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 4:01pm

Who doesn't like Bill Moyers?

(hello, the private Banks are the Fed Reserve... and the People want them to police Themselves?.... they are all good people...with a lot of power to take tax dollars in interest....)

Darn, we need them :/  (to stand back up, Heaven help us)

Shocking.... Oligarchs

note/ in parts

VIDEO

File:The%20bay%20at%20Whinnyfold.jpg

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 4:55pm

Behind the food we love - Secrets t...   

Black Money | FRONTLINE
Lowell Bergman examines the shadowy...   

The Spy Factory | NOVA
Examine the high-tech eavesdropping...   

NewsHour
Supreme Court Rules School Strip Se...

Most watched VIDEOS

Tenth_Door View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenth_Door Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 7:21pm

Published on Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Want My Money Back! (Pres. Obama!)  -  by Marie Marchand

I want my money back.

I gave $20 a week for seven months, plus $60 every once in a while for a t-shirt and sticker.  I gave of my modest purse joyfully.  Once I add that all up, it makes a grand total of... $106 billion?!  Wait a minute, I thought I was supporting change I could believe in, not more of the same bloodshed and war!

Betrayal is a part of life.  After awhile, you just come to expect it.  Yet, the initial shock always hits you as a surprise.  Alas, the nature of betrayal.  Humans are vulnerable to being betrayed because underneath our husky shells, our pain and hardened hearts, we are soft and trustful creatures.  We want to believe in people.

I'm not that young, so I possess some cynicism.  But I'm not that old either, so I manage some idealism.  Sure, I am used to being betrayed by my government.  But I thought my days of calling the White House in tears were over.  To think that Barack Obama preyed on this naive hope in me and millions like me is unforgivable.

I expect the Republicans to throw money at the Military Industrial Complex.  Yet, from the Democrats, I was promised a different direction (like OUT of the Middle East).  Regrettably, there has been miniscule change.  There is still nothing to believe in.

It is against my religion to say the Pledge of Allegiance.  (I am a Christian so I pledge allegiance only to God.)  I did, however, pledge my time and treasure to Barack Obama.   On November 4, 2008, I danced in the streets waving the American Flag, feeling proud to be an American.  I was pathetically close to bustin' out some Toby Keith ditties.

It's not just the $106 billion that makes me feel betrayed.  It's not just the fact that Gitmo probably won't be shut down after all.  It is not even the president's assurance to Republicans that he will not release the photos of detainee abuse.

It is the rumors of intimidation and strong-arming that are, to me, the greatest betrayal.

That President Barack Obama sent Rahm Emanuel and Nancy Pelosi to bully anti-war Democrats into voting for the supplemental (and threatening to withdraw the leadership's support for their re-elections if they didn't) is a shameful misuse of power.  Where's the humanity I once saw in Barack?  It's just more of the same and I can't stomach it.

I knew I was naive; yet like millions of Americans, I had no choice but to believe.  Our hearts were desperate for hope.  We saw Barack Obama as an oasis in the desert.  To think that he may be just a mirage is heartbreaking.
When you have a minute, give Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold a call at (202) 224-5323.  He was the only Democrat in the Senate to vote against the war funding (along with three Republicans and an Independent).

Oh, and please consider supporting my grassroots campaign to get my $680 back so I can donate it to the Whatcom Peace & Justice Center. Thanks.

Marie Marchand is executive director of the Whatcom Peace & Justice Center in Bellingham, WA

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/06/28

It Is What It Is
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 7:40am
...more shame cometh.....

as you remember...there was a lot said about CONGRESS above... the real meat of the problem.

and here the darlings are again-

(You remember, the Boobies that wanted to drop money for people RUNNING the Banks

WE THE PEOPLE OWN ....and NEED to do WELL.... civil servants retirements from stock owned in these banks)

Congress's Travel Tab Swells

Spending on Taxpayer-Funded Trips Rises Tenfold; From Italy to the Galapagos

By BRODY MULLINS andT.W. FARNAM

WASHINGTON -- Spending by lawmakers on taxpayer-financed trips abroad has risen sharply in recent years, a Wall Street Journal analysis of travel records shows, involving everything from war-zone visits to trips to exotic spots such as the Galápagos Islands.

The spending on overseas travel is up almost tenfold since 1995, and has nearly tripled since 2001, according to the Journal analysis of 60,000 travel records.

Hundreds of lawmakers traveled overseas in 2008 at a cost of about $13 million.

That's a 50% jump since Democrats took control of Congress two years ago.

The cost of so-called congressional delegations, known among lawmakers as "codels," has risen nearly 70% since 2005, when an influence-peddling scandal led to a ban on travel funded by lobbyists, according to the data.

continued here...

A song for the CONGRESS  :)

Dr.Who View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 8:25am
Meet the new boss, worse than the old boss...
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2009 at 8:48am
 Looks like no one it has a mind of its own it got too big and inefficient we let it get away and we get too comfortable and lazy the last time we did anything was in 1960th 
Just like in Iran we think that we are in control and live under democratic rule but in truth
We are not there are too many examples where things went in other direction from the national feeling.
Ex 1st Gulf war ( Sadam thought that we allowed him to invade Kuwait for his war with Iran)
      G.W Bush win in Florida
       Sept 11, controversy like collapse of building #7 that was not hit by the planes
       Outsourcing of US economies to China , India etc
       Complete disregard for US economy and eventual collapse
       Ballooning defense spending even after the end of Cold War
        Constant waste of money like $450 mill for Lebanon and other countries like Israel Egypt etc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic