Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

My Teen Has H1N1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Teen Has H1N1
    Posted: September 30 2009 at 9:53pm
Well my teen came down with H1N1. He suddenly felt sick at school got him home temp of 100.8 gave Benedryl and Mucinex. Had a cough,nasal congestion and a bad headache.

I checked him at 2:30 he had a temp of 102.8. Gave him Tamiflu.

At 5:30 temp of 103.1 gave Motrin

At 6:30 temp of 104. Gave two Tylenol. By 8:00 his temp is now normal.   I will check him every two hours tonight.

I will complete the Tamiflu and keep him home the rest of the week.

I figure it is H1N1 because... Sudden onset, cough, congestion, headache, high temp. Dr. most likely would have sent him home with same diagnosis or at the least he has a virus. Well Tamiflu will work on that too.

I will not take chances with my son's life.

Mississippi Mama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississippi Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 10:03pm
Flumom I'm so sorry to hear that your son is sick. I'm glad that you had the meds on hand that you needed when he became ill. I see why you stress always be prepared. I hope by morning that he is doing better.
Mississippi Mama
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 12:09am
hi Flumom...  good nursing care there... means everything.  keep us posted.  (take care of yourself)
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 3:09am
flumom, hope your boy gets well soon. My best Coyote
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
admin View Drop Down
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 5:38am
Excellent job Flumom.   I have also administered Tamiflu twice in the last week within the initial onset of symptoms (24 hours).   Timing is important. 

This is no longer a drill I'm afraid. 

Albert
FluKnow View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluKnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 6:31am

I’m thinking of you!  I’ve been a longtime lurker here and–your posts along with a few others posters only reason I come back , they’ve helped me the most and really trust you and your view.  Good luck, I’m sure he’ll be fine with your great care!

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 7:21am
Seasonal flu has exactly the same symptoms as H1N1.

He's gotten the seasonal flu vaccination this year I'm assuming, so it could very well be H1N1. Kids here in MN are coming down with H1N1 at an unprecedented rate. Thankfully the chances of dying are 1 in 100, not 1 in 10 as is feared from H5N1.
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 8:52am
FluMom, if it's any consolation, my sister in law works for Kaiser and said most of her patients have been testing positive with H1N1, but to her knowledge none of them have been hospitalized and recovered after a week or so. She also said she has been exposed / coughed on by these patients, and has yet to come down with H1N1 virus.    

Hope all is well with your son and family this morning!
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 10:41am
Hi Flumon, I hope your son is feeling much better today.  I do have a question if you dont mind.  Have you been giving your son vitamin D prior to the onset of his flu?  Are you giving him any vitamin D now?  Thanks you if you answer but information is important so we can prepare.
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:20am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Well my teen came down with H1N1. He suddenly felt sick at school got him home temp of 100.8 gave Benedryl and Mucinex. Had a cough,nasal congestion and a bad headache.

I checked him at 2:30 he had a temp of 102.8. Gave him Tamiflu.

At 5:30 temp of 103.1 gave Motrin

At 6:30 temp of 104. Gave two Tylenol. By 8:00 his temp is now normal.   I will check him every two hours tonight.

I will complete the Tamiflu and keep him home the rest of the week.

I figure it is H1N1 because... Sudden onset, cough, congestion, headache, high temp. Dr. most likely would have sent him home with same diagnosis or at the least he has a virus. Well Tamiflu will work on that too.

I will not take chances with my son's life.

I know Flu Mom we have been on this for years and it would seem that which has concerned us is coming to us here in America and is no longer a Bird Flu 12,000 miles away.
I empathize, since Skye got it several days ago,  but have you taken your son to see a doctor? Are you a doctor?

Your son needs to be seen by a doctor, blood drawn, x-rays done, a swab, and other tests. To just give a child Tamiflu with no medical intervention sets a poor example for all the readers of this site. At 102 your son should have been in ER- at least called the triage nurse and at 104 more aggressive treatment (as per M.D. decision) should be done. What is his white blood cell count, is there pleural effusion in the lung- how bad is the congestion? These are things we cannot evaluate ourselves without tests, doctors, and medical treatment.

I sincerely doubt any ER doc would send him home with 104 temp.

Flu Mom in the gentlest of ways- you are taking a chance with his life. He needs to be seen. Tamiflu can have serious side effects and it is up to a physician whether or not to give it. He could have other lung problems which require immediate IV intervention for secondary infections with antibiotics. 

IMHO parents out there- if your child displays these symptoms immediately call a triage nurse and go through the checklist and determine if your child needs to come in. Do not give Tamiflu without a doctors prescription. Do have tests and diagnostics done. Do not panic because at that point you become an ineffective caregiver.

When Skye spiked a 104 fever and was coughing, as much as I do not like hospitals- to the doctor he went.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 11:25am
Originally posted by admin admin wrote:

Excellent job Flumom.   I have also administered Tamiflu twice in the last week within the initial onset of symptoms (24 hours).   Timing is important. 

Albert

Albert are you suggesting these people take Tamiflu without a prescription or under the medical care of a doctor?  Did I miss something here? Was there any mention of an ER visit or evaluation of this patient.

Medclinician
Levygoddess View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 3:05pm
Flumom!!! Oh dear!! Im thinking about you and your son. I think you did right please please keep us updated hourly would be fine!
God put us here for a reason
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 3:40pm

Originally posted by Medclinician Medclinician wrote:

Originally posted by admin admin wrote:

Albert

Albert are you suggesting these people take Tamiflu without a prescription or under the medical care of a doctor?  Did I miss something here? Was there any mention of an ER visit or evaluation of this patient.

Medclinician

I am risking things here- but are you advising these people to use an antiviral without a prescription or doctor involved? Isn't that um- well illegal.

Do Not Prescribe Personal Stockpiles of Antivirals

Personal stockpiling of antivirals (e.g., oseltamivir) for use during a pandemic is not
recommended.  Physicians are advised not to write prescriptions for oseltamivir for their
patients to stockpile now in the event of a future pandemic due to novel H1N1 or other
viruses for the following reasons: 
•  Efficacy of antivirals for a future pandemic strain is unknown at this time.
•  Inappropriate or inconsistent use of antivirals may increase the risk of drug
resistance. 
•  Use of antivirals without the guidance of a physician may increase the risk of
adverse effects or drug interactions.
•  Poorly timed and/or inappropriate use of antivirals may leave individuals without
medication when they most need it.
•  Antivirals have a limited shelf life (< 5 years) and medications may be wasted if
they expire before a pandemic.
•  Oseltamivir is considered Category C risk for pregnant patients.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090909/hl_hsn/antiviraldrugsshouldbeusedcautiouslytofightfluussays

TUESDAY, Sept. 8 (HealthDay News) -- Antiviral medications such as Tamiflu and Relenza, which are effective in treating the H1N1 swine flu, should be taken only by people hospitalized with the flu or those at high risk for complications from the disease, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

Those at risk include people with underlying health conditions, such as asthma or diabetes, as well as the very young, the elderly, and pregnant women, officials said.

Because the H1N1 swine flu remains mild for the vast majority of people who get it, most people won't need these medications at all, according to new guidelines for antiviral drug use issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Antiviral medicines are a critical part of our tool kit in countering influenza, both the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus and seasonal flu strains," Dr. Anne Schu******, director of CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said during an afternoon news conference.

But, Schuc_hat added, "most children, adolescents and adults who have influenza-like illness do not need antiviral medicine."

One reason why: If too many people take antiviral medicines it could increase the risk that the virus would become resistant to these drugs, Schuc_hat said.

"We have seen a bit of antiviral resistance already with the 2009 H1N1 strain, and we hope this won't take off," she said. "A critical feature is to use these antivirals very carefully so they can have benefit and not lead to problems."

Because most people who get the flu -- whether H1N1 swine flu or seasonal flu -- will not be tested to see what type of flu they have, the new guidelines are based on symptoms, not a particular flu strain, Schu****** said.

"A key point of the antiviral guidance is that hospitalized patients who are suspected to have influenza need prompt treatment with antiviral medicines," she said. "That can be a very important way to reduce the severity of illness. We don't want providers to wait until test results are available, but we want them to start antivirals when you suspect influenza."

The new guidelines also recommend that, when high-risk people have been in contact with someone who has the H1N1 swine flu, doctors should wait to see if flu symptoms develop before starting treatment with antivirals.

"Instead of starting antivirals, we give providers an option we call 'watchful waiting,' and wait and see if fever develops," Schu****** said. "And, when fever or respiratory problems develop, give antivirals then."

Another key to the best use of antivirals in people at risk for complications is to start the drugs as soon as flu symptoms appear, Schuc_hat said.

She stressed, however, that the new guidelines leave room for judgment and discretion on the part of doctors. "Every patient is different, and we want clinicians to have that opportunity to customize care for each patient," she said.

The recommendations include:

• Treatment with antivirals is recommended for people at higher risk for complications. These include children younger than 5 years old, adults 65 and older, pregnant women, people with chronic medical or immunosuppressive conditions, such as patients on chemotherapy, and people younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy.
  • Treatment should not wait for lab tests because testing can delay treatment and a negative rapid test for flu does not rule out influenza.
  • For some high-risk patients, doctors may choose to give them antiviral prescriptions that can be filled should symptoms appear.

Schuc_hat noted that cases of H1N1 swine flu -- now the predominant flu strain in the United States -- have already started to increase, especially in southeastern states. "The H1N1 flu never went away this summer," she said. "It is not surprising that we are seeing this uptick in cases."

The good news is that the H1N1 virus still hasn't mutated into a more dangerous form, which means that the vaccine currently being tested should be a good match, she said.

The first 45 million doses of the vaccine are expected by mid-October.

Most certainly hoping your child does well, but it is a Pandora's box to begin the widespread use of Tamiflu against H1N1 where it has already developed resistant to seasonal flu.

Of course, as with many things we will see happening as the Pandemic worsens, and people become afraid and begin to self-medicate- one can only remind the reason you go to a doctor in the first place for treatment instead of everyone simply treating themselves.

Finally from CDC-

(CBS/ AP)  Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control said that most people who come down with the 2009 H1N1 flu virus should just ride it out and not take antiviral medications like Tamiflu and Relenza, reports CBS News medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook.

"The majority of adolescents and adults and children can be cared for with mom's chicken soup at home, rest, and lots of fluids," said Dr. Anne Schuc_hat of the CDC.

But certain people need prompt treatment within 48 hours of symptoms -- those hospitalized or at high risk: patients under age 5, over 65, pregnant or with chronic medical problems.

There's a key change for patients at high risk who may have been exposed to the flu virus. Before Tuesday, the CDC advised giving them medication to prevent the illness. But now …

"Instead of just definitely starting antiviral medicines we give providers an option to do what we call watchful waiting and wait and see whether fever develops," Schu****** said.

The new advice tries to close a door that government doctors had left open with earlier guidance in May. Back then, they didn't rule out sometimes using the drugs to stop H1NI's spread and prevent illness even in children who had no symptoms.

Self or child medication with anti-virals is not a good idea without the guidance of a physician and monitoring. People are very unique in their reaction to drugs and Tamiflu is not your every day antibiotic.

20, AVENUE APPIA – CH-1211 GENEVA 27 – SWITZERLAND – TEL CENTRAL +41 22 791 2111 – FAX CENTRAL +41 22 791 3111 – WWW.WHO.INT
QSM/AGM/ IEA.122
14 May 2009
Information Exchange System
Alert No. 122

Warning on purchase of antivirals without a prescription, including via the
Internet

WHO is advising the public not to purchase  medicines to fight or prevent influenza A (H1N1),
unless prescribed by a health care practitioner in line with national pandemic influenza
preparedness plans. 

Testing has shown that the currently circulating influenza A (H1N1) virus is sensitive to
antivirals
[http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/frequently_asked_questions/swineflu_faq_antivirals/en
/index.html] such as oseltamivir or zanamivir, which are authorized in a number of WHO
Member States. The widespread, inappropriate use of these medicines could increase the risk of
the virus developing resistance to them.  Antivirals should therefore only be purchased with a
prescription from a health care practitioner who has examined the patient.    

Products sold outside the authorized national medicine supply chains should not be purchased.  

comment: and this is how it begins.  You can warn people. That is all you can do. As we entire the Second Wave millions of people will self medicate and make Tamiflu basically useless within a short time- one of our last stockpiles of defense against Swine Flu. This will then cost the lives of millions who might have been saved.

Relenza is more difficult to administer- and this will basically neutralize the effectiveness of our national stockpile to fight Swine Flu.

Medclinician

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 3:57pm
Med, we are going into a pandemic, and this is why some people have an emergency supply of Tamiflu.  If you're not going to use it during a pandemic, exactly when will you?  It's a matter of pandemic preparedness.  In My case, my elderly father of 70 got the flu a week ago and so I put him on it and he did fine.  The last two times he got the flu he was on a ventilator, but not this time.   A close friend of mine has a compromised immune system, and when she became ill a couple of week ago, I put her on it as well.  She still did not recover easily, but it worked.  Both of these two are in a "high risk" category.  I also told them both that they now owed me their lives, lol 
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 4:38pm
Albert is right. The use of Tamiflu in the middle of a pandemic is a pretty appropriate time.

I'm pretty sure FluMom had her doc give her Tamiflu months ago. This was around the same time my doc gave everyone in my family a script for Relenza. All the hype about Tamiflu and Relenza being useless is not helping. I'm not saying they will cure you and they might only reduce the symptoms. Flumom also stated the 104 temp dropped to normal so it's her call if she feels he needs an ER visit.

By the time Tamiflu and Relenza "might" become useless the vaccines will have already been tested endlessly and hopefully proven to be safe. This will allow mass distribution without much fear. Other antivirals or cures will be developed for the next pandemic that will happen in the future.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Technologist Technologist wrote:

I'm pretty sure FluMom had her doc give her Tamiflu months ago. This was around the same time my doc gave everyone in my family a script for Relenza. All the hype about Tamiflu and Relenza being useless is not helping. I'm not saying they will cure you and they might only reduce the symptoms. Flumom also stated the 104 temp dropped to normal so it's her call if she feels he needs an ER visit.

Both CDC and WHO have said that this prescribing of an antiviral to a patient who doesn't even have the disease is not responsible medicine. New guideline just released .. was it Tuesday - have stressed the need for doctors- not self medicating civilians to be the one who monitor the use of these drugs.

Yes, they may save your life- but the development of a resistant strain may cost 10,000 others theirs. By the way Relenza was a good choice Tech. Although we now have resistant strains to it as well- it is more effective - especially systemic. I know you guys have your own stash of this stuff and probably will make it while the masses are dying- but we will have nothing to give them because of it.

The hype...

Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Med, we are going into a pandemic, and this is why some people have an emergency supply of Tamiflu.  If you're not going to use it during a pandemic, exactly when will you?  It's a matter of pandemic preparedness.  In My case, my elderly father of 70 got the flu a week ago and so I put him on it and he did fine.  The last two times he got the flu he was on a ventilator, but not this time.   A close friend of mine has a compromised immune system, and when she became ill a couple of week ago, I put her on it as well.  She still did not recover easily, but it worked.  Both of these two are in a "high risk" category.  I also told them both that they now owed me their lives, lol 

While we still have a medical system in place- and the ability to run blood tests, x-rays- and especially do swabs to verify the infection- we should use them. The time for this kind of self-medication is when we have exhausted the normal medical system.

Myself, Dr. D., and Dr. JohnRay including my wife, my mother-in-law and my son have all roughed this out twice. Anyone with a compromised immune system should probably already be under a immunologists care and my relative who has HIV is on medicine that kicks anything including HIV to at least suppress the virus.

When a person has run the course of the illness they may become a chronic carrier of the virus- especially H1N1. Just because they have recovered and are fine- does not mean they could not be highly infectious. There is also the chance they would be carrying a strain that is Tamiflu resistant. I just documented in the Netherlands today a case study I got in briefs of a new strain which is resistant to Tamiflu.

People may think they are beating the system- but actually this will come back in a possibly more virulent form and by that time Tamiflu will for 200,000,000 people- almost our whole stockpile to treat anyone - useless.

These people may become spreaders and Albert I understand each one loves their family and this was the plan. But it was the plan after the infrastructure crashed which it may and not when we have perfectly good hospitals and doctors available.

I am not alone in this assessment. I am backed by both CDC and WHO. And I have posted links. If you wish to recommend people diagnose and treat themselves while we still have a medical system- and we need to check out their lungs. We can give Vancomycin and other supportive antibiotics for lung opportunistic infections. We can check mulitple titers with bloods tests and most of all there are people these should not be given to.

It is likely your relative 70 years old was well over the cytokine storm risk and would have recovered anyway. The standard strain of this does not effect people over 60 or under 2.

So for the record and as a health professional I am going on record as saying until there are no doctors or people to screen or triage, people should not be self-medicating. We have not reached a significant CFR to even indicated we are at any more risk than seasonal flu.

Most certainly a good thing for ever person who takes their Tamiflu or your Relenza stash and survives but at the same time may be introducing the foundation of widespread strains of resistant virus.

Tamifu is not just any other anti-viral. There have been some serious problems with it which have been published.

when in doubt- research

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/india/Tamiflu-can-have-bad-side-effects-on-children/articleshow/4879466.cms

The FDA has been reviewing reports of abnormal behavior and other brain effects in more than 1,800 children who had taken the flu medicine Tamiflu. The symptoms have included convulsions, delirium or delusions, and in Japan, five deaths have been reported in children under 16 as a result of neurological or psychiatric problems.There have also been nine deaths among older teens and adults, attributed to neuropsychiatric problems or brain infections. Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg MD - "Swine flu is not very different from normal flu. On the contrary if you look at the number of cases it is nothing compared to a normal flu outbreak.” Swine Flu Vaccination Poses Serious Threat to Your Health. According to a recent Fox News poll, the majority of people in the US now believe the swine flu vaccine may be deadlier than the actual virus. Research published in the August 25, 2009  issue of the British Medical Journal reveals that more than half of doctors and nurses in public hospitals would also refuse the H1N1 vaccine, due to concerns about side effects and doubts about its efficacy.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/112627

Severe stomach cramps, nightmares, hallucinations, diarrhoea, strange behaviour, suicide, and death, these are all known side effects that have been linked with the antiviral drug Tamiflu, over the recent months. Despite being aware of the harm Tamiflu can cause however, this drug is regularly offered to patients displaying symptoms of Swine Flu.

TAMIFLU in the Askapatient database There are 259 ratings for the drug:

This website makes extremely disturbing reading.

One mother had this to say

"Suspected flu

Adverse reactions to Tamiflu

overly tired, lack of appetite, irritable, feeling very weak

My 15-month old son started taking the medication 3 days ago. After the first two doses he started acting weird. He became very hysterical which he had never been before. He refuses to eat even his favourites, he is very pale and weak. Although he has been walking for 3 months now and managed to become steady on his feet, he now falls over nearly with every step he takes. I am going to stop giving him the medication. I would not recommend Tamiflu to anyone!"

Another person reporting side effects said this

"Diagnosed with flu

Adverse Reactions from Tamiflu

Nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, tiredness, headaches, stomach pains, loss of appetite and mood swings.

I would NOT recommend taking this medicine, would rather get over flu without medication. it is awful, i stopped taking the tablets 5 days ago and im still experiencing all side effects."

There has been 90 confirmed deaths linked to Tamiflu Drug Lib.com Adverse events to Tamiflu.

In the UK two studies found that more than half the children taking Tamiflu had side effects. Of the 248 pupils involved in one study, 51% reported side-effects, including nearly a third (31.2%) who felt very sick, nearly a quarter (24.3%) who suffered headaches and more than a fifth (21.1%) who had stomach pain.

Guardian 31st July 2009 David Batty

"Another study, also published by Eurosurveillance, found that more than half of 85 children in three London schools had side-effects when given the drug as a preventative measure after a classmate was diagnosed.

Of the 45 children who suffered side-effects, 40% reported gastrointestinal problems including nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain and cramps, while 18% reported a "neuropsychiatric side-effect" such as poor concentration, inability to think clearly, problems sleeping, feeling dazed or confused, bad dreams or nightmares and "behaving strangely"

Daniel Martin 'Keep using Tamiflu, top doctor urges parents, as he admits children may suffer nightmares and nausea' Daily Mail 31st July 2009 wrote

"The government's chief medical officer Sir Liam Donaldson has said Tamiflu should still be given to children, despite more than half of young recipients who take the drug suffering side effects such as nausea and nightmares.

The drug being used to fight swine flu can also produce stomach pain, diarrhoea and sleeping problems."

This is the drug that is being offered to everyone regardless to age, medical background or even a firm diagnoses of Swine Flu and can be obtained through a simple phone call and a check list here in the UK.
< ="text/" ="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

This is what it is says on the NHS Choices website for those worried they may have Swine Flu

Note: The National Pandemic Flu Service is a self-care service that will asses your symptoms and, if required, provide an authorisation number which can be used to collect antiviral medication from a local collection point. For those who do not have internet access, the same service can be accessed by telephone on:

Telephone: 0800 1 513 100

A simple phone call and a few questions is all it takes to obtain a drug with severe adverse reactions. Alternatively you could order over the Internet.

To prove what a mockery this is my neighbour has just gone online filled in online form and has now a 12 digit reference number for his Tamiflu. My neighbour is fit and well and never takes tablets for anything.It is that easy.

Drug companies cash in once again on the misery of others on a drug which not only is so dangerous that it has the potential to kill but also has been reported to be ineffective.

Virtually all the dominant strain of flu in the United States this season is resistant to the leading antiviral drug Tamiflu, and scientists and health officials are trying to figure out why The New York Times 8th January 2009

More than half of the flu viruses that have been analyzed in the U.S. this season are of the H1N1 strain, said Joseph Bresee, chief of influenza epidemiology and prevention at the U.S.in Atlanta. Virtually all the H1N1 viruses the agency has tested, 72 of 73, are Tamiflu-resistant, he said

Bloomberg 8 Jan 2009. Tamiflu Helpless Against Most U.S. Flu Infections This Season

Dr Jefferson, a Cochrane Collaboration reviewer in Rome, who headed an independent non drug-company conducted review of flu drugs is extremely concerned, he feels that the drug is hugely over rated and in The trouble with Tamiflu by Sarah Boseley - The Guardian Thursday May 7th 2009 he said that he is concerned such drugs could be widely used as the solution to a flu pandemic, at the expense of things that really work – like washing your hands. Jefferson has real fears that if these drugs continue to be handed around like smarties, the virus will evolve and simply become to resistant to treatment.

conclusion: we won't go on. There are thousands of pages. By next February the virus will probably be 100% resistant to Tamiflu.

Medclinician
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 5:22pm
Med,

Are you having fun scaring a Mom that has already given here Teen Tamiflu?
I've never met a Nurse that uses these scare tactics to try and win an argument.

You quote tiny parts of articles that make them essentially false.

For Example:

Virtually all the dominant strain of flu in the United States this season is resistant to the leading antiviral drug Tamiflu, and scientists and health officials are trying to figure out why The New York Times 8th January 2009

You conveniently skipped the part in the same article that states this: "The only Tamiflu-resistant strain is an H1N1."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/health/09flu.html?_r=1&ref=health

I don't have time to reason with you.

Read my post on narcissistic grandiosity if you really care about people and want to save lives.
newgirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 5:34pm
Wow.  I'm going to have to agree with Med on this one.  This is not an extreme emergency crisis situation at this time.  You can still call the Doctor, you can still get an office visit, you can go to the ER... under the current circumstances I personally don't think anyone but a Doctor should be prescribing/administering prescription medication.  A temp of 104??  That's seriously high and I would hope that H1N1 hysteria does not prevent people from obtaining sound medical treatment when it is readily available.  Not knocking FluMom, I am sure she means well and thinks she is doing best but, well, it just does not seem right to me for untrained medical people to be making that kind of a call until or unless there is some sort of apocalypse and people are forced to resort to making these decisions themselves.  At any rate, I hope he has a full recovery and is well soon.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by newgirl newgirl wrote:

Wow.  I'm going to have to agree with Med on this one. This is not an extreme emergency crisis situation at this time.  You can still call the Doctor, you can still get an office visit, you can go to the ER... under the current circumstances I personally don't think anyone but a Doctor should be prescribing/administering prescription medication. A temp of 104?? That's seriously high and I would hope that H1N1 hysteria does not prevent people from obtaining sound medical treatment when it is readily available.  Not knocking FluMom, I am sure she means well and thinks she is doing best but, well, it just does not seem right to me for untrained medical people to be making that kind of a call until or unless there is some sort of apocalypse and people are forced to resort to making these decisions themselves.  At any rate, I hope he has a full recovery and is well soon.

newgirl, Everything you say sounds logical and realistic, Flumom hasn't posted anything since she said her teens fever was back to normal. It was my understanding that Flumom already had a script for Tamiflu from her doctor for this very event. At least that's what I remember from a thread directly talking with her.

She might be at a Doctor with her Teen right now. Many states and locations that are overloaded are recommending phone triage at this point. So without an update everything is simply a bunch of assumptions. Just her name "FluMom" says she has given a great deal of thought about how to handle this properly.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 6:32pm
Flumom, I hope your son is feeling better! Please keep us updated.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 6:43pm
Flumom, signed on to check your status, how is he?
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 7:18pm
FluMom, you and your family are in my prayers tonight.  
SheepLady
TipKat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 8:06pm
Flu Mom please do write when you can.  We are all pulling for you and your family.  Tip
4=laro View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4=laro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 8:33pm
I hope you dont get discouraged about taking care of your son as you felt was right and necessary.  Last spring when i had the flu, I called my dr office and was told not to come in but goto quick care and get taken care of by them.  I did and there was at least 50 other people there and I left and treated myself.  I survived.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 8:41pm
Thank you all my friends!! Such wonderful support and thank you for all the prayers. My son does have the H1N1 it is going around very strong at his school right now. Sorry I am so late in writing but I did not sleep last night kept checking on him to make sure he was alright so I took a nap this afternoon.

And yes Albert you are correct my Doctor gave me the scrip for Tamiflu because he knows I would use it under the correct conditions. Well H1N1 is the correct conditions. I have been taking his blood pressure and listening to his lungs. He is doing just fine for a kid with flu.

He broke the 104 temp last nightand since then he has been running a temp of 101.8 without Motrin or Tylenol and we are giving that to him when he is uncomfortable. Fever is a good thing it is hopefully killing the virus.

Tech, Med can't scare me...I took care of my husband dying of cancer and took care of him so well that he lived 3 months longer than he should have. The nurses that came in twice a week told me I should have been a nurse I had so much knowledge.

I thank God I had the sense to have Tamiflu on hand because my son is doing better than I thought because his body has some help from that drug. I knew when the decision had to be made I would make the correct one and I did. I would not have felt fully prepped without Tamiflu on hand. We have had some deaths here in Colorado of teens and it was because no one knew HOW sick the kids really were. So even if they could have used Tamiflu it would have been way past the 24-48 hour useful time limit on this drug.

I gave my son Tamiflu within 3 hours of his first fast onset of feeling sick but waited that three hours to see what other symptoms presented. Well, a temp of 102.8, chills, headache and cough presented within that 3 hours and that is when I gave him the Tamiflu.

Most Dr's hands are tied on who they can now give Tamiflu to "underlying condidtions". Well my underlying condition is I have lost one child, one husband and have only one child left...that is underlying enough for ME!!

Just a note...my teen has gone through almost a case of gatorade!! He is staying very hydrated and of course he has the sweats when the fever breaks and then goes up again. So be sure you have lots of gatorade or something like that because he is telling me that soda causes gas and upsets his stomach. I have a ton of Coke because just like a teen he loves that but not with this flu. Lucky I have two more cases of gatorade also.

My boss's teen has H1N1 and he took her to the Dr. her symptoms were vomiting, fever, fast onset. They did not give her a flu test but just diagnosed that it was H1N1 because that is all that is going around right now. They gave her a shot and I asked her dad what was the shot...he did not know!! But he said it knocked her out. Gee that is so bad not knowing what a Dr gives your child.

I will keep you guys updated but this H1N1 is mild, yes you are sick feel bad, have a fever, stuffy nose and some cough. But that is just my kid. The symptoms vary widely from kid to kid. My son's friend has the same symptoms but has a sore throat also, my son does not have a sore throat. My bosses daughter has the vomiting no sore throat. This H1N1 is very different because the symptoms are so diverse.

Again, thank you all for your support and prayers. I truly appreciate all the love.
TipKat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 8:56pm
FluMom you are one heck of a lady!  Approve
Your son is better because you got to him in time with the Tamiflu it sounds like. 
I am soooo glad he is doing ok.  Your constant attention to him is an inspiration to all of us. Thumbs%20Up
Don't forget to take care of yourself too!  You have to keep your immune system up and running especially since the ful hit home for you.  

Take care and again great news!Clap Tip
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 9:03pm
Thank you TipKat...I am taking my Zink Lozengers and zink with copper not more than 125mg zink per day folks. You need to copper to replace what is lost due to the zink.

I work in a school so I figure I will get this no matter what. Ugh!

Hey some of us are going to get this and some will not. No matter what the vaccine is way too late. We have schools with 200 kids out and within the next 4 weeks most of our kids will have had it or exposed to it and resisted the H1N1. But no matter what these huge amount of kids will not be taking the vaccine because they have had this flu.

I have a gut feeling that there will be lots of vaccine to go around.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 9:35pm
Interesting observation, I asked my teen, who usually answers with a yes, no, maybe and un, if two hours after taking the Tamilflu did he feel any different. He said to my surprise he feels better for 6 hous after taking the Tamiflu and then he starts feeling a little worse as time goes on until the next dose. I don't know how this drug works but my kid is as honest and realistic as can be, well with a mom like me what else? But if he feels better I hope this drug is doing what it needs to do...slow the spread of the virus in the body.

Just an observation. Knowledge is power!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 10:45pm

Both CDC and WHO have said that this prescribing of an antiviral to a patient who doesn't even have the disease is not responsible medicine.

-Snip-

Yes, they may save your life- but the development of a resistant strain may cost 10,000 others theirs.

Take Tamiflu and Kill 10,000 people. ROTFL!

Med, Do you do stand up comedy?

Myself, Dr. D., and Dr. JohnRay including my wife, my mother-in-law and
my son have all roughed this out twice.

You said you had the swine flu twice. Now you sound like it's six people catching the swine flu twice. I'm calling the Guinness book of world records!

When a person has run the course of the illness they may become a
chronic carrier of the virus- especially H1N1.

I think you mixed AIDS with the Swine Flu. Med you really need to think before you type this crap.

So for the record and as a health professional.

Amateur would be a complement.

We have not reached a significant CFR to even indicated we are at any more risk than seasonal flu.

What happened to your endless rants last week of confirmed Fatality rates of 1.0%, 1.1%, 1.4% and when it hits 3% the entire infrastructure will collapse. You flip flop more then a fish out of water.

inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 10:47pm
Flumom...you take care of your son the way you think is best.  H1N1 can be really serious in children, and it seems you caught the flu in it's initial stages.  Good job, and I hope your son gets better soon. Wink
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2009 at 10:57pm
Flumom,  Hope your son gets well soon under your loving care.  And I'm sending good vibes for your continued health too   Heart
admin View Drop Down
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 12:42am

For whatever it's worth, I've been following the next pandemic for the last 4 years, even before pandemicflu.gov.  Maybe they learned about the threat from me?  Most of what you see today started from us, believe it or not.   Either way, I can assure you all that I know exactly what I'm doing, and I am very familiar with tamiflu, and what to do during a pandemic.  So do me a favor since I've spent the last few years on this thing ... don't worry about what I'm doing, nor question why,  just understand that I know what I'm doing.    I don't have time for people to start second guessing.  It's time to suck it up and to make a tough call when needed. 

Albert
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 3:22am
Albert, If Med and I drive you nuts I wouldn't be upset if you permanently banned me him or both of us. Running forums can be a real pain when half your work is babysitting adults. No hard feelings if I can't log in one day. I'll get the message.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Technologist Technologist wrote:

Albert, If Med and I drive you nuts I wouldn't be upset if you permanently banned me him or both of us. Running forums can be a real pain when half your work is babysitting adults. No hard feelings if I can't log in one day. I'll get the message.

That is your purpose and has been Tech. The only person driving users crazy is you with your constant trolling of my posts and threads.This is done to be so disruptive and annoying to the users (many of which enjoy and read my posts) and this was tried by many incarnations of you before. We know who you are.

Med
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 8:04am

Tech,  you don't ever have to worry about getting banned around here.   Agreeing with me is not a requirement to participate here.  If that were the case, this place would be empty, lol.   Arguing, agreeing, disagreeing, debating, is what a forum is all about.  So if I ever get upset when trying to make a point, I can assure that's as far as it will ever go.  In my view, the members here can really do nothing wrong, and I haven't banned anyone in years.   You all are what this place is all about, so feel free to drive old Albert crazy .....   Smile 

If I come down hard at times when trying to make a point, it's because I have the group's best interest in mind.  

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 1:27pm
   Sounds like you're doing a good job, FluMom. You've been through a lot lately, but the family is lucky to have you around. Best wishes to you all.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 4:28pm
Thanks jacksdad, I have no regrets on using the Tamiflu. My son is feeling much better today his fever is down to 100 without Tylenol. I was not willing take the chance that my son may be one of the kids that gets a very bad case and then get him to the hospital too late.

I was prudent in using the Tamiflu at the correct time when he had the flu. That is what that drug was made for...now it seems only a few chosed ones can have Tamiflu. Well that is why I got mine a year ago.

I agree with Albert, many of us are people who have studied and know what to do during a Pandemic. Believe me when I say my Dr. would not have given me the scrip for Tamiflu if he did not trust that I had the knowledge to use it correctly. Albert is the same way he is a prudent man who has the knowledge.

Giving Tamiflu at the correct time is NOT brain surgery. So all you nay sayers out there cool your jets!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 6:20pm
Hi FluMom,

I'm glad your Son is doing so much better. Take care of yourself and I'm hoping you're already immune to it.

With the probability that your Son already had the Swine flu. Let's just make a wild guess of 75%-90% chance. Things like ear infections can also give high fevers. Would you still get this years Swine flu shot for him at this point?

I'm asking this because I have two teens and I'm expecting millions of parents in the world might need to make that same decision soon. Now is a great time for a company to market a home kit to see if you already had the swine flu.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 6:42pm
Flumom your so great. Dont listen to those others you have so much common sense and you know some of us are not all that "educated" but we know what to do when the chips are down and in this case it was for you. You rock!!! I hope that Son knows how much you love and cherish him and I hope he is grateful for that brain of yours!!! Your a great Mom. If I lived close to you I would take your advice over alot of people on here.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 8:03pm

That is your purpose and has been Tech.

-Snip-

We know who you are. Med

Med, You caught me. I'm a 102 year old secret agent working in a nursing home. I'm using my pacemaker tapped into my phone line as a morse code to ASCII modem. I can only type one character per 8 heart beats so in an hour or two.....

Oh sorry I fell asleep. I'll be back....
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 8:05pm
I'm back...

Med, I've learned and forgotten more things in my lifetime, than you have yet learned!

Where did I put my prescription of ARICEPT?
SheepLady View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheepLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 8:09pm
Good job, FluMom!!!
SheepLady
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 9:53pm
Thanks guys! Tech...no I will not give him the "New H1N1 vaccine" this year. He had H1N1 because seasonal flu is not here and he had 4 of the typical symptoms of flu. No ear problems. The reason I say no is because I am not really sure about this new vaccine and he has already had H1N1.

Next year H1N1 will be in the seasonal flu vaccine and many will already have had the H1N1 vaccine. I will have no objections next year.

I do not know how easy H1N1 is to transmit between people. I only used a mask the first day/night he was really sick and I stayed in another room the rest of the time. Not sick yet. The kid he gets a ride to school with does not have it either. Time will tell.

All that being said I also have more Tamiflu incase either I get the flu or he gets it again. I know Tamiflu works because my son is doing really well today and he is at day 3. My son always seems to get well fast no matter what he has...unlike me who goes down for a month with anything!! I am watching for any relapse but he is finishing the Tamiflu so any relapse would happen after he is off Tamiflu.

He has had a Pneumonia shot over a year ago so hope that takes care of that little problem some people are having.

Tech...if any company had a home test for H1N1 I would purchase it today...no matter the cost. I did not get the A/B flu tests because of the false Neg with H1N1. LOL, I don't have any money but lots of preps! LOL! I always say, "What good is money if you have no child." So I do what I have to do and don't spend in other places.

My car is over 20 years old...my clothes are not much better but I have my son...that is the most important thing.

abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 12:13am
I guess my lung specialist must be a real dummy, because he told me that if I had even the slighest hint of the flu to call and they would prescirbe Tamiflu for me, where ever I was at. I am now living in two communities, one by week and the other by weekend.

I would give my kid a bath in Tamiflu before I would risk them dying as a child just did in TN who was perfectly healthy prior to the flu.

Since no MD here of any sort is giving tests for Swine flu, there is no way of knowing 100% sure that you have it, they only way they test is if you are in ICU and thanks but no thanks, that is not how I intend to get a test for anyone in my family.

I also believe that quoting negative stats, when someones loved one is ill is nasty mean.

Albert, you have always had the best of the people here and everywhere in mind. I think we know that, I want to reassure you if you do not know that we believe that.

Tech, you crack me up.

Flu Mom, you continue to inspire us to all be stronger, you are one of those bright light people in  a world of darkness. I just now got home to a computer or I would have extended my best wishes to you and your son sooner, and you both will be in my most sincere prayers. Flu Mom = survivior, prepper, mother, wife and Christian Extrodinaire.
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 4:48am
Hasanyone heard that the cdc is releasing outdated expired tamiflu to somewhere in Texas area for the kids to take. Says they are out of tamiflu and its okay to take it .  Not sure if it was Texas but down there someplace where the flu really bad now.
PrepGirl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic