Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

I believe we have H2H in Indonesia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I believe we have H2H in Indonesia.
    Posted: February 25 2006 at 3:27pm
The strain killing people in Indonesia is genetically different from the strain killing the birds.  That means that people are getting the virus from some other source than birds.

Gosh, it is not April yet.  It can't be happening.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 3:33pm
Now, I go and start reading the news and I find this:

Indonesia 'risks bird flu pandemic'

By Frank Walker
February 26, 2006

A LACK of funding and expertise in Indonesia is increasing the risk of bird flu evolving into a global human pandemic, an Australian expert on the virus has said.

Andrew Jeremijenko says there is data to show the H5N1 virus, which has been killing humans in Indonesia, is different from the one that is killing birds.

"So far the investigations have been unable to match the viruses," he told the ABC yesterday. "They don't seem to be able to match the viruses from the human case to the animal case. And that is putting the world at threat.

"Every human case is another potential mutation that could turn this virus into a pandemic virus."

Dr Jeremijenko has worked in Indonesia for eight years, most recently leading influenza surveillance studies for a US naval medical research group.

He said there had been no human deaths in Turkey, Vietnam or Thailand after effective control programs were implemented. But in Indonesia there was poor communication between the departments of Health and Agriculture and the deaths kept on coming, with two suspected H5N1 deaths in the past week.

http://smh.com.au/news/world/indonesia-risks-bird-flu-pandem ic/2006/02/25/1140670301306.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the human flu strain IS different from the Bird strain, then the humans are getting it from some other source (i.e. HUMAN TO HUMAN transmission!!!!!  ) Initially I thought that it could be cats.  People in Jakarta keep cats as pets, but that was ruled out because the majority of the patients in the new clusters are country people.  If they are not getting it from the birds, then they are getting it from each other.

FOLKS, THE PANDEMIC IS  UNDERWAY! Let's hope the mortality rate is low.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 4:49pm
DarlMan View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 5:09pm

I have been watching Indonesia as closely as I can via all the media sources.

The last few clusters have been difficult to pin point where the close contact with infected birds occured.

I also believe we now have a H2H strain moving around Indonesia.

They are now having family clusters reqularly with infection times consistent with H2H transmission. 

I always thought it would be Africa, but like they say "You never hear the bullet"

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 6:20pm
If memory serves me, there is a country right next to Indonesia that is currently experiencing some type of swine flu (can't remember which country it is, but there was an article about pigs dying).  It would not be good if the two viruses mutate in these sick pigs.
Tansau View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tansau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 6:56pm
ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: We are seeing mutations in the human virus. We
are not seeing that same mutation in the bird virus. And that's of great
concern.

Basically, when you do an investigation of a bird flu case, you should try
to find the virus from the human and match it up with the virus from the
bird and find the cause.

Now, in Indonesia, the investigations have been sub-optimal, and they
have not been able to match the human virus to the poultry virus, so we
really do not know where that virus is coming from in most of these
human cases.

So far the closest match we have to the human virus is from a cat virus.
So the cat could be an intermediate. We really don't know what's
happening yet.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1578301.htm

mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:07pm
Didn't SophiaZoe predict February 27????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:27pm
Yep, my drop dead date was Feb 24... which was yesterday.  Don't ask why I had this date burned into my brain.... I would never openly admit it. .
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:45pm

Excellent,SophiaZoe!

Now what should we do - I actually got a little panic attack this afternoon around 4:00  ( and I never get any kind of anxity attacks) but couldn't figure out why because I'm very comfortable with the stage of my prepping - very strange indeed. Well, if we're going to be safe and informed anywhere it will be here.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:46pm
Yes I have my panic attacks late at nite in bed.  Just the other nite I was awake til 4 am.    Now I see that cats may be the mixing vessel this bug was looking for. Not good.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 8:24pm

I guessed sometime late Feb, early March.  

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 8:36pm
Albert, You were right on the target,too - I'm amaze! and impressed. So, what's next?  I know that's just a nervose question so I don't expect an answer - but it seems like plan "H2H" should be put into action but what is it?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:04pm
When do they start closing the borders?? Level 5 ??
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:07pm

Indonesia 'risks bird flu pandemic'. 

A LACK of funding and expertise in Indonesia is increasing the risk of bird flu evolving into a global human pandemic..

It sickens me to think… a lack of funding.

wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:11pm
Im Appalled
I agree
Let's not get all panicked yet
Under 100 cases is not a pandemic.  A pandemic potential, yes.
wannago
Sure2Survive View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sure2Survive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:14pm
How many possible cases are hospitalized currently there?
Sucess requires eye's wide open
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:19pm
Hi, Sure2survive I love your avatar.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:23pm
I wonder if there even exists a way to gauge how many sick people there currently are in Indonesia.  Poor people probably would not go to a hospital because they would not be admitted (they cannot pay).  I do not know what kind of health care system there is for many of the islands (do they have an established hospital or clinic for people to visit?).  Does the Indonesian government have a public health contact for each of the islands to assess what is happening on each?  I am not sure they do.....
Sure2Survive View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sure2Survive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:25pm

Originally posted by siameselade siameselade wrote:

Hi, Sure2survive I love your avatar.

Thanks,

I sure whis we knew how many people in Indonesia are sick

Sucess requires eye's wide open
CupcakeMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CupcakeMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:54pm
Thank you for the post, Tansau.  Good catch.   I hope Dr. Niman comments on this. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:14pm
Hi All. Well I'm going to take some credit by saying two weeks ago it
would be Indonesia. BUT, I'm not yet convinsed it is more than a potential
threat than an actual pandemic. I also want to know what Dr N and the
recombs think about this one.

This is part of their last piece on Indonesia on 11th Feb 2006:

'.....relationship between a fatal H5N1 bird flu case from the Bekasi
suburb of Jakarta and a workmate who admitted with bird flu symptoms
is cause for concern...'

I trust they are able to test the sequences from Indonesia. With all the
comments around about scientists keeping quiet to get the scientific
praise for themselves, I have my doubts. It could be the Aussies are
collecting all the samples in conjunction with Indonesian scientists. I
smell commercial involvement here but maybe I am over-reacting.

What is WHO saying yet on Indonesia?

As for Swine, this is the largest Islamic country in the world and dont have
many around I guess. It may also hamper the scientists if families are
burying their dead before the authorities get anywhere near them.

A worrying situation I know but I was only half right with my predictions: I
also said the UK would have B2B before the end of last week but we have
as yet to experience B2B...or has it already happened or is too late to
concern ourselves with H2H on the Asian and therefore Global horizon.

peace
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by wannago wannago wrote:

Im Appalled
I agree
Let's not get all panicked yet
Under 100 cases is not a pandemic.  A pandemic potential, yes.

Wanngo,

I'm with you.   

Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:38pm

We are so screwed if this is really happening already.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:47pm
As far as swine goes, it is not Indonesia I am worried about.  If you look on the link in the "news" section entitled PAPUA NEW GUINEA:" Pig Fever Threat" , you will see that New Guinea is right next to Indonesia and they currently have sick pigs.  Both Indonesia and New Guinea are not very far away from Australia, which is making Australia very nervous (and rightfully so).  The bird flu could easily spread from Indonesia to New Guinea and then into a sick pig.  From there, the mutations begin and potentially spread to humans and other animals.
wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 11:17pm
The PNG threat is certainly making me nervous
wannago
rowee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 11:50pm

Worrying signs indeed.. H2H....

Not Culling Birds Effected with Bird Flu.

Indonesia is now a gigantic incubator for H5N1.
Along with southeast Asia, this huge island nation is now a gigantic incubator for H5N1.In July a government auditor, with no detectable history of exposure to infected birds, died of bird flu as did his two daughters.

Most observers believed this was a cluster of human to human (H2H) transmission. With the three children, one at least a contact with another case, the possibility becomes a probability. One can expect human to human transmission to become still more efficient.

Indonesian authorities have been reluctant to take strong measures (such as mass culling) against bird flu, believing they could contain it.  As many have suggested, this is a ridiculous misjudgement. Even WHO believes this is a vain hope.

Link"

It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious. (A. N. Whitehead, British Philosopher 1861 - 1947)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 4:38am
Reporter: Peter Cave

ELIZABETH JACKSON: An Australian epidemiologist working at the forefront of the fight against bird flu in Indonesia says that country's failure to effectively deal with the disease it putting not only neighbouring Australia but the whole world at risk of a pandemic.

Dr Andrew Jeremijenko has worked in Indonesia for eight years, most recently as the Project Leader of the Influenza Surveillance Studies for a US Naval Medical Research Group, helping the Indonesian Government.

He says countries like Turkey, Vietnam and Thailand have implemented effective control programs and have since had no human deaths, but in Indonesia the deaths keep on coming, with two suspected H5N1 deaths in the past week.

Dr Jeremijenko spoke to out Foreign Affairs Editor, Peter Cave, in Jakarta.

PETER CAVE: How seriously do you think the Indonesians are taking the threat of bird flu?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: I think the Indonesians are taking this seriously, but I don't think they're actually dealing with it effectively. I really think that they need to do better research, and more investigations and better investigations to work out what is really happening and to work out an effective control program.

PETER CAVE: Why do you think they're not doing it the right way?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: I don't think they have the experience on the ground. The influenza research here is still in a very early stage. There's meant to be a national influenza centre in Indonesia, but it really hasn't been working at all. They've got international funding, but they haven't been able to get it up and running yet.

I think they are trying to … they are trying to deal with the problem, but they really need to get an effective control program in place.

Now, Indonesia's had this problem since 2003, August 2003, and there've been human deaths since July 2005, and now we're in 2006, February 2006, and they still really haven't got an effective program together.

PETER CAVE: Is the way that Indonesia is dealing with this problem a threat to Australia?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: I think it is not only a threat to Australia, I think it is a threat to the whole entire world. Every human case is another potential mutation that could turn this virus into a pandemic virus.

PETER CAVE: More so than somewhere like Nigeria, for example?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: I think Nigeria, India, Indonesia, they are all threats to the world. But Indonesia is more advanced, it's had this virus for longer, and so that's why we are more concerned.

PETER CAVE: Are you seeing mutations in the virus in Indonesia?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: Yes, that's a good question. We are seeing mutations in the human virus. We are not seeing that same mutation in the bird virus. And that's of great concern.

Basically, when you do an investigation of a bird flu case, you should try to find the virus from the human and match it up with the virus from the bird and find the cause.

Now, in Indonesia, the investigations have been sub-optimal, and they have not been able to match the human virus to the poultry virus, so we really do not know where that virus is coming from in most of these human cases.

PETER CAVE: Does it suggest it's going through an intermediary before it's infecting humans?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO(correction by me - ren234): It's a possibility that we can't rule out. I think they really need to do a lot more investigations. So far the closest match we have to the human virus is from a cat virus. So the cat could be an intermediate. We really don't know what's happening yet. They need to do more studies, they need to get better investigators on the ground to work out what is happening in Indonesia, and it needs to be done urgently.

PETER CAVE: Can Indonesia do this on its own?

ANDREW JEREMIJENKO: I think they need international assistance. So far the investigations have been unable to match the viruses. It is poor communication between the Department of Health and the Department of Agriculture. There are many reasons, but they don't seem to be able to match the viruses from the human case to the animal case, and that is putting the world at threat.

ELIZABETH JACKSON: Dr Andrew Jeremijenko speaking with the ABC's Foreign Affairs Editor, Peter Cave, in Jakarta.
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 6:00am

Why is it when   talking about the possibility  of h2h some say "Don't panic.?"

When that enevitability comes around, do they think we're gonna run around hurting ourselves and others. how does one panic?

All i would for see initally in an h2h situation  is that those who have preped quietly impliment their plan A. not panic.

Do you mean by panic that you might prematurely look like a fool to some people? do you mean panic is doing something that the majority will think. silly. Do you mean by doing some type of panic thing we will hurt ourselves?

What is panic? We were called panickers  a year ago by beginning to accumulate preps. We were called panickers for searching the news. We are called panickers for comming to this forum to find like minded people and get a different take on the news. Now we will be called panickers for pointing out the  spread of h2h.

the possibility of h2h is finally looming (as predicted by experts) and some  say don't panic. I say,Panic if you don't have a plan. Forget being popular or how you appear to the public at large. It will be us sitting in our refuges when the time comes, so we will have to be comfortable when we each make our own plan A decision to make it thru the long isolation.

Nobodys gonna ring a bell and we all magically scuttle off to our shelter. So if the first few here on this forum decide to impliment their plan A will you say they are panicking? Thats their decision, comfort level and regional response to a threat that is real to them. When that time comes we will all make that decision so we will be comfortable with the results and can mentally accept the long isolation to come.

Maybe panic is the wrong word. Call it an informed decision for us here. A concious decision. A well anticipated response.

AS the uninformed and unprepared do panic. they will call prepers hoarders. Seen it before. When the shelves run low. those that didn't have the foresight to prep will look around pointing fingers at those who did prep and  say "Hoarders." laws will be passed to prevent stockpiling etc...

If you preped years and months in advance does that make you a hoarder? panicer? alarmist?  certianly not.

So what is panic?  Let  us go about the business of not being intemidated to get the news and word out in some shape or form so that we can make informed choices that pertain to us and our familys. not other peoples opinions.

The governments use the terms Panic, hoarder ,Alarmist  etc in the media to intimidate , minupilate and control people. let us hope in the next few weeks and months as the situation heats up and evolves that it won't be used here.

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 6:17am

nobody take things personal. just venting some thoughts  in general.

OH! &^*%$% I'm out off coffee! now that's panic!

Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 6:37am

How could you let that happen??  No Coffee??  

Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Elizabeth Elizabeth wrote:

It's happening.  I'm not "screwed", I'm prepared.  I would suggest that you prepare now.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
No_Flu_4_U View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No_Flu_4_U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Thomas Angel Thomas Angel wrote:

It's happening.  I'm not "screwed", I'm prepared.  I would suggest that you prepare now.

Follow the Money! Look at April 06 Puts for Tyson Chicken, Novavax

BF pandemic stock play and Gold among other things.

The Big money is re positioning in a flight to quality if you look closely.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 7:12am

Corn,

You simply put into words my thoughts.

SZ

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 8:14am
If it is not human to human, it has to be cat to human, and most of the poor people do not have cats.  Cats do not live with humans in the poorer regions of Indonesia and the Philippeans (and Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos...) 

There is still the slight chance of insect vectors (like with Dengue or JE), but H5 via insect transmission has never been seen.  Besides, there would have to be a resevoir.  Indonesia is Moslem and pigs do not abound.  Some people do eat them, but most follow the teachings of their religion.  If pigs are not kept as food they are not in abundance and thus can not be a resevoir for flu virus.

Nope, it has to be human to human in Indonesia.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 8:32am

oh pooh and I am out of coffee also...

ok good think I did my flipping this morning before I read this post....now is the time I think I should have been smarter and wiser in my preps..could I have done without the newer car for a while longer(lots of cash flow on a tight budget tied up in that) could sell it now...why did I order out pizza so much..going miss it when its gone...instead of the scratch ticket that was another 6 cans of food...

Well now I totally zen prep and my next big pay is still couple weeks away, I hope I make before they let the whistles go...

but on the non-panic side I have alot more then those who put their heads in the sand..like over a thousand tea bags.....just letting a little more of the frustartion go...

thanks for the vent..

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 9:59am

Corn - to answer your question on 'what is panic'...see Suretosurvive's Avatar...that is what the naysayers will be hoping to do pretty soon!

Since it is so hot here in AZ during the summer, my family was discussing building an underground storm shelter to store our canned goods (in case we loose power).  I'll check the prep thread to see if I can get some advice on how to do that.  somebody from a hurricane or tornado region can probably give some good advice!

As far as Africa being our guess vs. Indonesia...I'd be willing to bet a months supply of spaggetti (sp) and sauce that it is H2H in Africa also - they are culling but there is no way things are under control there.  They probably wouldn't even know if a person died from BF or AIDS or something else.....

DarlMan View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 10:22am

The pucker factor is now at 6.

Indonesia as I understand it and I could be incorrect, is not a single state such as the US or Turkey, but a collection of individual soverign entities.

This makes a common response very difficult.  Even though thier are several independent states that make up Indonesia, people move around pretty much as ususal.

I have tried working on an infection model based on the SIR mathmatical model and them using the numbers to put together possible infection spectrums that would allow the virus to spread.

The numbers are not encouraging, but does anyone know the amount of international travel from Indonesia?  This could be a major vector of contagion.

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Sniffles Sniffles wrote:

As far as swine goes, it is not Indonesia I am worried
about.  If you look on the link in the "news" section entitled
PAPUA NEW GUINEA:" Pig Fever
Threat" , you
will see that New Guinea is right next to Indonesia and they currently
have sick pigs.  Both Indonesia and New Guinea are not very far away
from Australia, which is making Australia very nervous (and rightfully so). 
The bird flu could easily spread from Indonesia to New Guinea and then
into a sick pig.  From there, the mutations begin and potentially spread to
humans and other animals.

* My understanding is that H7 can turn deadly.

URL=http://www.recombinomics.com/News/05130504/
H5N1_Confirmed_Swine.html
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Thomas Angel Thomas Angel wrote:

I've been prepping, but I was basically referring to the rest of the world.  Most people I know are not getting ready for it.  I have to buy things as I go along, I have a mortgage and a kid in college, so I can't just go out and get everything at once.  I think we have about 3 months worth of stuff here now.  I'm thinking though that I'm going to end up with a total of 5 people in my house when TSHTF, so it's hard to tell how long it will last and how much to buy.

calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 12:18pm

"Romania suspects man of having bird flu"

(2 hours ago)

http;//www.alernet.org/thenews/newsdesk

I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 12:29pm

Elizabeth,

Half the population of the entire world is screwed if this is really happening...

BTW, I agree with you.  

Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 2:06pm
  1. Hey Joe ! know this isn't indo news but couldn't dig around enough to find thread.  Here looks like some SUSCHIAN SHEEP!

2. After bird flu, France fears 'mad sheep' disease Open this result in new window

3. AFP via Yahoo! News - Feb 26 8:26 AM
    France, which last week became the first European Union country to register the deadly bird flu in its commercial poultry sector, now fears it might have an outbreak of a rare strain of "mad sheep" disease, the agriculture ministry has said.
  4. Two suspected cases of a rare strain of the brain-wasting disease, which is also called Scrapie and ovine spongiform encephalopathy, have been identified on two different farms in central France, the ministry said in a statement issued on the second day of France's annual agricultural show.

"We will have more details in a few days," a source at the ministry said, while the ministerial statement said that one-year of tests would be needed before a final assessment could be made.

The source said Sunday that given that the strain was "unknown it is important to know exactly what the consequences are and in what conditions it is transmissible."

A representative of the national ovine federation stressed that there was no risk to consumers.

"There is no risk for human consumption because since 'mad cow disease', whether it be for cattle or sheep, all risk materials, like brain, the bone marrow and the spleen are systematically removed before they are put on the market," Emmanuel Cost, the federation's deputy president told AFP.

He said that neither of the sheep -- which had originated in the central departments of Cher and Nievre -- had been put on the market and the herds from which they came had been isolated and placed under surveillance.

Scrapie was common in France in the 19th century, but only one case of the rare strain was publically announced in a goat in 2004, an official for the French meat information centre said.

France's national flock has been in decline to eight million heads today, from 9.4 million in 2000 to 11.5 million in 1988.Save to My Web

elbows View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 2:27pm
Im sure theres some h2h in Indonesia, Im not sure how much, or how quickly it will mutate though. It could happen tomorrow and I would not be surprised, but if it didnt happen for a year or 2 I wouldnt be surprised either. So I never really know what to make of threads like this one, I certainly crave all available info on the subject.

Anyway I guess Indonesia is also a problem because its tropical, they dont have a flu season, its more of a year-round thing.
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 3:27pm

The biggest challenge to most of us over the coming weeks and months will be our mindsets and the mindset of other flubies. This includes me.

Our mindsets must be able to adjust to the changing BF environment and move in a timely fashion. We cannot straggle or be held back from reacting to BF spread. Switching to the next level of thought is crucial. Snooze you loose.

Our first mind set was that this virus could potentially be nasty and we're gonna watch for reports in the news. We saw them dribble in here and there, did historical comparisions with 1918. Read what officals and experts had to say, eagerly watched  the south east asian out breaks. we felt comfy from our desk wathcing  BF form great distances. We preped and shared our survival tips. We accepted this.

Then BF broke out of asia and into middle east. We watched. bought more preps. We accepted that.

Off to Africa where everybody said."Oh my god, If it ever hits Africa we're screwed."  more preps........We Accepted this as fact.

Then the European explosion and the lies became unraveling. South Korean human cases  long ago, China antibodies from way back. Indonesia human cases. etc. We came to terms and accepted this.

The time for preping will stop to an extent and the time to rely on those preps will begin at some point. That depends on you. The news and speculation will only get wilder as the search for facts become more urgent. Accept it.

Things are getting erily close and we have to accept the spread and h2h  transmission. We have been reading and searching about it for a long time.

Adjusting your mindset to the next level fast enough could save your life.

Dont wait to find out that what you think is unbelievable now will be believable tomorrow. Tomorrow is coming and we must adjust our mind sets. BF is not an south east asian thing anymore. Its been infecting people longer than we were lead to believe. It is in more countries than we know.

Be ready to act,, not gauk when the Bird Virus arrives in your region. Be ready to act when the h2h arrives in your region. Lead the pac. We are leaders here in this forum because we have  the advance knowledge. That makes us leaders weather we like it or not. Don't be afraid to lead. Accept that.

Be ready to act weeks before it becomes public knowledge, develope your own survailence system. Do not wait for the government to inform you. It will be too late. They will just go'"Oh shucks darn. How'd that get by me?"

Get the mindset to adjust mentally, react proactively ahead of the curve and not reactively after the obvious.

Alot of flubies will be lying sick on top thier preps waiting for the magic news. There will be none.

Start thinking forward and ask,"What is it I don't know?" Don't be afraid to accept the news  or intuition.  Do what you have been figuring to do for a long time now. He who hesitates is lost.

Okay..enough of that. stick a fork in me I'm done. Pass the ketchup!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Corn Corn wrote:

Adjusting your mindset to the next level fast enough could save your life.

Alot of flubies will be lying sick on top thier preps waiting for the magic news. There will be none.

Great Post.  The very concepts I've been trying to deal with and with my family.  We own a business: just when do you shut your doors and pull the kid from school?  For us, if too soon, is the death of the business for sure ( because of it's nature ), if too late, the death of us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic