Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

A good rifle for the ladies, from a lady

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A good rifle for the ladies, from a lady
    Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:28pm

I chose a Remington .22 rifle.   For several reasons.  A .22 is  light (if you have a composit stock), there is no kick, not loud and is inexpensive for most of them (it was about $125).  Also, the ammo is cheap and plentiful.   It is a good starter weapon but it will stop people trying to get into your home.  You would also want to get a good cleaning kit, case and spend plenty of time at the range.  An indoor range will cost you about $10 -$15 for a couple of hours.   Firearm safety classes are great but if you can get advice at the range, it is even better. 

I used to be scared to death of guns but now I am comfortable with my rifle and plan to get a hand gun soon. 

Laura

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 7:39pm
Hey I got a 22 semi automatic that my husband gave to me, had to take a course, you know Gun Laws up here.  I'm a good Shot too.  I have never shot anything more than Grouse with it.  But if needed I think I could to protect.
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 8:17pm

Good for you!  I will only kill critters if I have to , to survive.  My gun is only for people if they are breaking into my home.  However, grouse sounds mighty tasty.  Here in the city, it would be squirrels, rabbits and Mourning Doves if necessary, but I would be hard up to do that due to the Avian Flu.  Just for protection at this point. 

Zanna View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:03pm

Howdy, Thordawggy and Saim!  I'm new around here - I think this is my second or third post?

I like .22's for small game (rabbits, squirrels) and to start out with in the shooting sports.  I have a Ruger Mark III in .22LR, which is for targets only and has a very sweet trigger with great accuracy.  My husband (Bruss01) has several other .22's in various forms, all lots of fun to shoot.

As for defending myself or home and family, I like the Ithica 37 clone in 12g that Bruss bought for me to use.  It has a shorter stock than his Mossberg 590, so it fits my shorter reach, and so the kick is much more managable - the Mossberg feels like it's going to leap right out of my hands!  For skeet or hunting, I can shoot my CZ 20g all day long and be none the worse for wear. 

As much as I love the .22's that we have for plinking, etc., I'd never trust my safety or that of my family to it....unless the only other thing that I had was the marble rolling pin from Williams Sonoma!   The rolling pin would make a satifying *thwack*, though, wouldn't it?    

What do you have in mind for a handgun?  

When you decide you want to branch out, give the Springfield XD in 9mm a try at one of those ranges that rents guns.  I got one for Christmas two years ago, along with a box of 500 rounds of ammo.    It fits my hand like no other gun I've held.  It is easy to disasemble, clean and put back together.  It's kick is mild and aiming with the factory standard three-dot sights is a piece o' cake.   Right out of the box, the ease of use and accuracy is everything a gal could want.  

I could wax poetic about my XD all night, but then Bruss would get on here and "moderate" me. 

Z~

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 10:21pm

Thordawggy,

Congratulations on taking the leap and becoming a gun owner!    I'm nearly always pleased to hear when someone new enters the fold.  You are right about a .22 rifle being a "polite introduction" to the wonderful world of firearms, in fact it's the first real gun most of us ever handle.  I have a .22 bolt-action remingon that is one of the few things I inherited from my father, and it's precious to me.  He bought it after returning from WWII when he was just a youn'un himself. 

You've also got a great point about pistol-caliber rifles, and that is, they can be fired at indoor ranges when the weather is too nasty to enjoy practicing outside.

I would encourage you to take a class if you possibly can.  Informal training is great, but you aren't always advised correctly about some things, including legalities in your area.  Plus, you don't want your practice sessions to inadvertently reinforce any bad habits you pick up along the way that your informal range-helper didn't catch.  Get it straight from the horse's mouth if you can.

Of course you already know that although a .22 is perfectly capable of inflicting a wound that is EVENTUALLY fatal, it doesn't have much immediate stopping power.  It sure can serve as a deterrent, though.  It's said the porcupine doesn't have to be bigger or stronger than his predators in order to live to a ripe old age... he merely has to make himself "too expensive" a meal.  You're a lot more expensive with that .22 than with your bare hands, and predators will know this. 

Your plans to acquire a handgun soon are a good idea - either a revolver in .38 caliber or a semi-auto in 9mm should suit you fine and be very controllable.  You may even discover you like something with even more oompf - I understand .40 cal is becomming very popular. Any of these calibers should have much better defensive value to you than your trusty .22 rifle.  This will better your odds against  those who wouldn't be deterred by the sight of your .22 - some people (men expecially) think a woman wouldn't have the "balls" to pull the trigger, and they can walk right up to her and take the gun away, and use it on them.  You need to be ready to prove them wrong with something potent.  The .22 will always be there as your reliable "back up" gun in case something goes wrong with the handgun (out of ammo, malfunction, need a "loaner" for someone else in the house, etc).

Again, congrats on your new purchase, I hope it becomes the source of much enjoyment, satisfaction, and peace of mind to you.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 11:05am

Bruss01 - Sorry if I mispoke!  I am not exactly new at this.  I started shooting about 6 years ago.  I started the thread for other woman who might be considering the purchase of a firearm.  However, your advice it great.

I don't know yet which hand gun to purchase.  Money is an issue right now.  And, to get a CCW permit, I will need to take the class and I don't have the time right now.

Thank you!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 11:54am
Welcom Zanna, I love your avatar, if you need anything just "Holler" & one of us will help. I m looking forward to reading more of your posts.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by Thordawggy Thordawggy wrote:

Bruss01 - Sorry if I mispoke!  I am not exactly new at this.  I started shooting about 6 years ago....  I don't know yet which hand gun to purchase.  Money is an issue right now.

Sorry I misunderstood, Thordawggy!  I thought you were excited about your new purchase.

If money's tight, and a handgun is on the wish list, take a look at Charter Arms.  I have their Bulldog model in .44 Special caliber - a stout cartridge for a light gun, it has a bit of a kick to it - but it was very affordable at $250.  If you prefer something with a little less recoil, they have an Undercover model in .38 special for about the same price.  They're all-American made, and I have really enjoyed shooting mine.  Maybe something to think about when your tax refund check comes in? 

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 3:48pm

Unfortunately, we will be paying taxes this year.  And, we are still paying last years too. 

Thanks for the info on the hand guns guys!

Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 5:26pm

My husband has a gun and I am taking a gun class on March 4th to learn how to shoot the thing.

I hate guns but I will only handle one for protection.

Pandemics Happen!
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 6:21pm

Ella,

Glad to hear you'll be taking the class.  After you've gotten a little experience, you'll realize it's very similar to driving a car - as long as you follow some basic rules, it's liberating and very safe and a useful skill.

Hope you enjoy the class!

AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:58am
Can any one tell me the weight of a Remington .22? No kick also ?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 4:35am
AuntBones,  I don't have the exact weight, but it's about 5 pounds.  No kick. 

Just hit the remington site, and didn't see the 10-22 listed. Has it been discontinued? (say it ain't so!).  The 579 looks a lot like the old 10-22.  Need to check it out. 
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 5:11am

Fla_Medic & AuntBones,

The 10-22 is made by Ruger.  Take a look at it here. They can be had for around $200.  They are arguably the most popular .22 on the planet.  Massad Ayoob did a thorough review of them for Backwoods Home Magazine just this month.  Although it's not yet online, you can read a sampling of his writing for BHM here.  A firearms expert, instructor, and former police officer, his advice is invaluable.

Ruger has recently made some significant improvements in the classic 10-22 design, so there's never been a better time to acquire one. These improvements are available in models 10-22crr (shortie) and 10-22rr (regular length).

AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:51pm

I went to Remington's site today, was looking at  the "Chipmonk rifle" for children, due to its light weight. I think its best I go to a sporting goods store and see....just wish I knew more...well I have to start some place. Thanks for all your help in here!!  I just dont know what to buy...  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 2:49pm
I live in PA, and was wondering where do I find out the protocol involved in getting a gun in this state? Like where to apply for a permit and such.....
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 7:30pm

Marzinn - every state is different.  The 2nd Amendment ain't what is used to be, unfortunately.

I live in Minnesota.  For a rife or a shotgun, you just go into the store and buy it. You do have to fill out a form (Fed) that they check on the spot  in the computer even on Sundays, to make sure you are eligible for any firearm (whatever kind of police record but not all).  For a hand gun you have to go through more crap and pick it up a few days later.  For a carry permit you have to take a class and have some hours on the range and no police record.  But a rifle is a good start and you can take it home, register for a class and go to the range.  The gun store will handle everything except the conceal carry permit.   You can go to Gander Mountain,  Gallians or large sport mart or an independent gun store owner.  I believe (could be wrong) that  pawn shops will do the paperwork for you also. Especially the ones that sell a lot of firearms.  Of course, they are used guns so take someone who knows what they are doing to see it fhe firearm is in good shape.  A great place to visit is a gun show.  Wow - those puppies are eye openers.  They sell all kinds of other preps at the shows too.   Gander Mountain sells used firearms and they are supposed to be checked out pretty good.  Probably better than going to a pawn shop. 

I went to Gander Mountain a few months ago and they had a short barreled Ruger 10/22 that had a gorgious hard wood carved stock and  a spendy looking scope.  It was very heavy and I couldn't afford it anyway.  Used, it was $250.   I sure like that short barrel for inside a little bungalow house if someone is breaking in. Too many little hallways and doorways for moving around with a long barrel.   Jeeze, I sound like my  TV hero Burt Gummer!   Ok, that is Old Lady Gummer to you!

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 8:24pm

Originally posted by Thordawggy Thordawggy wrote:

I sure like that short barrel for inside a little bungalow house if someone is breaking in. Too many little hallways and doorways for moving around with a long barrel.   Jeeze, I sound like my  TV hero Burt Gummer!   Ok, that is Old Lady Gummer to you!

Burt Gummer, patron saint of survivalists everywhere!

Burt Gummer w/ Barrett .50 BMG

From Tremors II :  Burt Gummer: I am completely out of ammo. That's never happened to me before.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic