Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Swine flu may protect against bird flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swine flu may protect against bird flu
    Posted: October 23 2009 at 7:13am
Exposure to the H1N1 pandemic flu virus could protect people from H5N1 bird flu, the Emerging Health Threats Forum has reported.

Research suggests that previous infection with the pandemic influenza virus strain could provide some immunity against the H5N1 virus. Experts speculate that this could protect against severe illness from bird flu. The H5N1 strain, kept under watch for its pandemic potential, has so far proved lethal in 60% of people infected with it.

Kristien Van Reeth and colleagues at Ghent University infected pigs with a closely related “predecessor” to the current pandemic strain of the flu virus. Four weeks later they also infected these animals with the H5N1 virus, and found that they had developed some immunity to bird flu.

“It gave very strong protection,” Van Reeth said. None of the pigs that had been previously infected with H1N1 showed signs of disease from H5N1 infection, whereas every one of the control pigs did.

“We would expect to see the same results in humans,” said Van Reeth. “The pig model of influenza is very reliable, it’s the best we have.”

Better understanding of the immune responses seen in infected pigs could help scientists design vaccines that respond to more than one strain of the flu virus.

after all is said and done- more is said than done
Dan View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 9:13am
Amazing.
ESS3 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESS3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 1:42pm
No it is not. The study was done using seasonal H1N1, not the pandemic strain, and it relates to LP H1N1.
Geez people do some critical thinking!
ESS3 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESS3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 1:44pm
Oooops...the last sentence should read LP H5N1. The source for the news article can be found at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19840669?dopt=Abstract
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 11:19pm
Two words that jumped out at me when I read that article were the word some

and then the word strong.

Four weeks later they also infected these animals with the H5N1 virus, and found that they had developed some immunity to bird flu.
“It gave very strong protection,” Van Reeth said. None of the pigs that had been previously infected with H1N1 showed signs of disease from H5N1 infection, whereas every one of the control pigs did.

Which is it, Some protection or strong protection, two completely different meanings to me. Also, why do they tell us after the fact that they are playing around with these virus, mixing H5N1 with anything that could possibly cause any human to human transmition may be needed but I want to hear about how they did it and all the safety measures they took.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 12:25am

hi... they use reverse genetics to come up with new seed strains to make vaccines for
Pandemics that have not yet occured.  I feel like it's jumping the gun...or ...you get what you fish/wish for.

Remember all those  maps of where HPAI H5N1 was located?

Do we also remember that none of them showed north and south America?

As if we didn't exist?... or that we were totally exempt? Scott free? Immune?  Lucky?

We had HPAI H5 here in the US in 1983

September 2003

1.4 Avian influenza virus4

Public Health: The AI viruses are Type A influenza viruses, and the possibility exists that they could be involved in the development, through genetic reassortment, of new mammalian strains. An influenza virus isolated from harbor seals that died of pneumonia had the HA and NA surface antigens of an influenza virus isolated from turkeys a decade earlier.

The infection and deaths of 6 of 18 humans infected with an H5 avian influenza virus in Hong Hong in 1997 has resulted in a reconsideration of the portentous role that the avian species have on the epidemiology of human influezna. Previously there was only one report of a human becoming infected with an H7 AI virus. Is is impossible to predict the importance of AI virus in determining the strains of virus that infect humans. There was no evidence to indicate that humans
coming in contact with large quantities of the H5N2 virus during depopulation efforts in the HPAI outbreak of 1983 in Pennsylvania became infected with the virus.

4Committee on Foreign Animal Diseases of the United States Animal Health Association, revised 1998. Foreign Animal Diseases, “The Gray Book,” Part IV, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 17-12842, Pat Campbell & Associates and Carter Printing Company, Richmond, VA. http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/gray_book/FAD/avi.htm 2

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 12:44pm
In Virginia also..

HPAI H5
1983-84

The 1983-84 HPAI H5N2 outbreak resulted in humanely euthanizing approximately 17 million chickens, turkeys and guinea fowl in Pennsylvania and Virginia to contain and eradicate the disease.

Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 1:12pm
I have to throw in some conspiracy stuff I just made up:

What if 2009 H1N1 is the Weak Docile mutation of H5N1 created by nature or man to eradicate H5N1?
abcdefg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abcdefg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2009 at 9:04pm
Tech, that would be wonderful.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 9:23am

Tech... LOL       (You might want to think about a vacation :)

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 9:25am
anyway...  they have a lot of H5N1 Pandemic "mock up" vaccine stockpiled... expiring as we
'speak."
MamaBear4 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaBear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 10:47am
"Depopulation efforts in 1983" ?? animals or people?? very scary Mary008 please explain.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 11:06am
hi...  animals..  Depopulation .. euthanizing.. ill amimals.   ( Where did you find that phrase? )   I didn't see it.  everybody... stop listening to David Rockefeller :)

on youtube

=5sx&oq=david+rockafeller

MamaBear4 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaBear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 11:09am
Mary008 It was in your post on 10/24 @ 12:25
jandressup View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jandressup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 11:16am
If you look at this molecule.....It's possible.....JanWink

Genetic analysis of swine flu virus released
Components have existed for years but are combined in a new way
SWINE FLU VIRUS. Seen is a 3-D image of the H1N1 swine flu's neuraminidase protein. The antiviral drug zanamivir (Relenza) is shown in green. Regions where the new virus differs from the H5N1 avian flu and the 1918 H1N1 Spanish flu are shown in yellow. Mutations occurring among different patients within the first weeks of the 2009 outbreak appear in red.IMAGE: Singapore's Agency for Science and Technology Research Components of the H1N1 swine flu virus have been circulating undetected for years, but the virus combines the bits and pieces in a way never before seen, a detailed genetic analysis reveals.
The analysis, published online May 22 in Science, pinpoints the origins of each of the virus’s components. It suggests that current influenza vaccines probably won’t provide protection from the virus, but that the virus is susceptible to some antiviral drugs and will be amenable to new vaccine development. A separate study of the virus’s neuraminidase protein (the N in H1N1), published May 20 in Biology Direct, also shows that the virus is sensitive to some drugs but that parts of the protein important for vaccine development and antibody therapies are already changing.
Pigs are the likely origin of the virus, says Nancy Cox, chief of the influenza division at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and a coauthor of the Science paper. But it is still unclear whether the virus jumped directly from pigs into humans or infected an intermediate host first.
Web edition : 5:58 pm
font_down font_up Text Size
access
SWINE FLU VIRUS. Seen is a 3-D image of the H1N1 swine flu's neuraminidase protein. The antiviral drug zanamivir (Relenza) is shown in green. Regions where the new virus differs from the H5N1 avian flu and the 1918 H1N1 Spanish flu are shown in yellow. Mutations occurring among different patients within the first weeks of the 2009 outbreak appear in red.IMAGE: Singapore's Agency for Science and Technology Research
Components of the H1N1 swine flu virus have been circulating undetected for years, but the virus combines the bits and pieces in a way never before seen, a detailed genetic analysis reveals.
The analysis, published online May 22 in Science, pinpoints the origins of each of the virus’s components. It suggests that current influenza vaccines probably won’t provide protection from the virus, but that the virus is susceptible to some antiviral drugs and will be amenable to new vaccine development. A separate study of the virus’s neuraminidase protein (the N in H1N1), published May 20 in Biology Direct, also shows that the virus is sensitive to some drugs but that parts of the protein important for vaccine development and antibody therapies are already changing.
Pigs are the likely origin of the virus, says Nancy Cox, chief of the influenza division at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and a coauthor of the Science paper. But it is still unclear whether the virus jumped directly from pigs into humans or infected an intermediate host first.
access
DETAILED ANALYSISThe H1N1 swine flu virus combines, in a new way, bits from several different influenza viruses that have been circulating for a long time among pigs and people. A detailed genetic analysis reveals the origin of each of the virus's pieces, shown here.Gartner, R.J. et al. 2009 in Science
In the United States, 6,552 probable and confirmed cases of H1N1 influenza, including nine deaths and more than 300 hospitalizations, have been reported to the CDC as of May 22, says Anne Schu******, CDC’s interim deputy director for the science and public health program. But public health officials estimate that more than 100,000 Americans may have already been infected with the virus.
Overall the number of new cases in the United States is falling, Schu****** says, but the virus is still active in some pockets of the country and is expected to produce more new cases over the summer. “We don’t want people to think we’re out of the woods yet,” she says. “It could come back in the fall in the worst way.”
CDC is already testing two candidate vaccine viruses and expects to send the viruses to manufacturers by the end of May, Schu****** says.
Genetic analysis of the new H1N1 virus reveals that three of its genes, including the hemagglutinin gene (the H in H1N1), originally came from the 1918 Spanish influenza virus and have been present in pigs ever since. The genes have not changed much, likely because pigs do not live long enough to get reinfected with the same virus, Cox says. Reinfection would have favored changes that could have allowed the virus to evade the immune system. Now that the virus has entered humans, researchers expect it to mutate at the same rate as currently circulating seasonal influenzas.
The new virus does not contain the genetic changes thought to have helped the 1918 flu virus and the H5N1 virus (avian flu) adapt to humans, the researchers report. That means that other genetic components of the new virus must be responsible for its ability to pass from person to person.
Both studies find that the closest relative of H1N1’s neuraminidase gene is from a Eurasian swine flu virus that probably leaped from birds to pigs in about 1979.
The new virus differs in 21 of 387 amino acids from the H5N1 virus and the 1918 Spanish flu (also an H1N1 virus), researchers from Singapore’s Agency for Science and Technology Research report in the study in Biology Direct. Viruses isolated from patients during the first two weeks of the current outbreak already have changes on the outer surface on the neuraminidase protein that could interfere with antibodies against the virus or alter the effectiveness of future vaccines. But none of the changes have altered the parts of the protein targeted by antiviral drugs, such as Tamiflu or Relenza.

If you have one foot on yesterday...and one foot on tomorrow...You are "piddling" on today!....Take time to smell the Flowers....

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 11:50am
hi MamaBear... I write a lot..so always give me the title of the thread... :)

The US was never shown on any of the H5 Maps.  Like we were magically immune.

We did have HPAI H5 here in the US.

The depopulation you asked about was the  "doing in" of

chickens and turkeys in PA and Virginia.

from Now at Level 6..

The infection and deaths of 6 of 18 humans infected with an H5 avian influenza virus in Hong Hong in 1997 has resulted in a reconsideration of the portentous role that the avian species have on the epidemiology of human influezna.
Previously there was only one report of a human becoming infected with an H7 AI virus. Is is impossible to predict the importance of AI virus in determining the strains of virus that infect humans.
There was no evidence to indicate that humans
coming in contact with large quantities of the H5N2 virus during depopulation efforts in the HPAI outbreak of 1983 in Pennsylvania became infected with the virus.

The 1983-84 HPAI H5N2 outbreak resulted in humanely euthanizing approximately 17 million chickens, turkeys and guinea fowl in Pennsylvania and Virginia to contain and eradicate the disease.

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2009 at 11:59am
but the virus combines the bits and pieces in a way never before seen, a detailed genetic analysis reveals

H5N1 avian flu and the 1918 H1N1 Spanish flu are shown in yellow.

Does this mix smell of LAB  ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic