Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Understanding Vulnerable Populations/ Ukraine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding Vulnerable Populations/ Ukraine
    Posted: November 03 2009 at 12:33pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kiew_Zentrum.jpg      by Hoodrat

File:Kiew%20Zentrum.jpg

Kiev / Kyiv    at night     2008

The World Health Organization sent a team to Kiev to assist

their local health officials with the epidemic.

..............................................................................................

Understanding Vulnerable Populations

We have to remember what the citizens of many European/Eastern European

countries have been through ...  and rustle up a bit of empathy...

Many of the citizens came through some pretty hard times after WW2

See what Kiev looked like then. (below)  Imagine the suffering and poor nutrition.

And to top it off...    imagine your rivers polluted by...    radiation

during the "Cold War."

Some people may remember the older kids talking about bomb drills and hiding

under desks?   Not as tough a life ...  right?

Couple the nutrition of the children/families  after the War, add the radiation

pollution... and now couple the health problems with the Novel H1N1v ...

and you might  ... get a lot more illness.    So let's not fuel the fire with assertions,

wild guesses, or put downs.   (Americans are better than that.)

Mary008
.........................................................................................................

nature.org

...the total radiation dose received by the population in the Dnipro basin following the years after the disaster has increased up to 3-13%. Nearly 450 thousand curie of cesium-137 and almost 70 thousand curie of strontium-90 are concentrated on the territory of the Prypiat and Dnipro river basins.

The potential pollution by radionuclides coming from contaminated territories as a result of surface washing can amount to 1-2 % for strontium-90 and 0,1-0,3 - for cesium-137 per year. Although in 1994 the concentration of isotopes in water reservoirs tended to decrease into 100 times in comparison with 1986,

however its level exceeds the pre-catastrophe period for 35 times.

The water reservoirs of the cascade are specific storage facilities of radioactive pollution.

The concentration of cesium-137 coming from ( KIEV ) and Kakhovka reservoirs decrease

twice, strontium-90 - almost two times. 27% of strontium coming to  ( KIEV ) reservoirs

remain in Kremenchuk reservoirs, 23% remain in ( KIEV ) and 11% in Kaniv water reservoirs.

Author: User:mno

Kiev/Ukraine
                               Desna River    
                         Dnipro River

Ruined Kiev in WWII   
File:Ruined%20Kiev%20in%20WWII.jpg
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 1:08pm
Chernobyl radiation map from CIA handbook, svg'd by User:Sting,
File:Chernobyl%20radiation%20map%201996.svg

Chernobyl radiation map 1996

When Chernobyl in the Ukraine Was a part of Russia
.........................................................................................

Chernobyl is a city in northern Ukraine, in Kiev Oblast (Province), near the border with Belarus.

The city was evacuated in 1986 due to the Chernobyl disaster at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, located 14.5 kilometers (9 miles) north-northwest. The power plant is within Chernobyl Raion (District), but the city was not the residence of the power-plant workers. When the power plant was under construction, Prypiat, a city larger and closer to the power plant, had been built as home for the power-plant workers.

Though the city today is mostly uninhabited, a small number of inhabitants reside in houses marked with signs stating that the "Owner of this house lives here". Workers on watch and administrative personnel of the Zone of Alienation are stationed in the city on a long term basis. Prior to its evacuation, the city was inhabited by about 14,000 residents.[1]

wikipedia

.........................................................................................................................................

Chernobyl disaster incident PART 1

Chernobyl disaster incident PART 2

It happened in ... Chernobyl - 23 Jun 08 - Part 1
................................................................................

...........................................................................................................................................

This gives us a sense of what fear can do,

the harm from the fear

a government has ...against what?

Weapons of Mass Distruction?

Bioterrorism?

Pandemic?

Nuclear Attack?

The harm a massive fear can have on

a Nation,

the money of the people,

the laws,

Lifestyle,

Health

Veterans...

Every Day people?  Prodded at airports, tagged, chipped, targeted, followed?

Look what it did to the Russians...  (the people paid a terrible price for the Russian

Government's fear during the "Cold War" ) ... and other Nations to a lesser extent.

Here-

............................................................................................................................

Mayak, the site of a former Russian nuclear plant and the most radioactively polluted
place on Earth.

Ozersk, whose sealed borders prevent outsiders from getting in and residents from
getting out.

Radioactive Contamination of Chelyabinsk Region
.....................................................................................

A serious nuclear accident occurred in 1957 at the Mayak nuclear fuel reprocessing

plant, 150 km north-west of the city, caused deaths in Chelyabinsk Oblast but not in

the city. The province was closed to all foreigners until 1992.

Shows contamination
http://www.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/epol/public_html/risiko/mapstrontium.gif

Chelyabinsk: The Most Contaminated Spot on the Planet 1/7
VIDEO

Chernobyl Monument Rivne

File:Chernobyl%20Monument%20Rivne.jpg

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 3:40pm

ChernobylfalloutEuropeBBC.gif%20%2839033%20bytes%29
(Graphic BBC)

"Twenty years after the [Chernobyl] disaster, epidemiologist John Urquhart told the Nuclear Free Local Authorities conference in London on Thursday that he had found an 'almost perfect correlation' between areas where rain from radioactive clouds fell [in the UK], and an 11% increase in infant deaths. Nationwide averages have so far masked the regional increases in infant death rates. But when seen in conjunction with a detailed nuclear fallout map based on meteorological data, a different picture emerges, he said.  The researcher obtained infant death figures from 1983 to 1992 for 200 hospital districts across England and Wales. He found regional increases in infant deaths following the accident, which happened on 26 April 1986, in areas where plumes of rain brought nuclear fallout onto the ground."
Chernobyl linked to British children's deaths
Edie, 23 March 2006

"Milk and meat produced by private farms in areas affected by the Chernobyl disaster create a major health risk to local residents, Russia's chief doctor said Monday. 'Radionuclides in food products are the main contributors to doses of internal radiation,' Gennady Onishchenko told a press conference ahead of the 20th anniversary of the world's worst civilian nuclear disaster."
Chernobyl-area food major source of radiation - chief doctor
Novosti (Russia), 23 April 2006
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 4:08pm

I need to move to Wyoming...

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 4:12pm

"Chornobyl Child' Causes International Stir By Refusing To Return to Belarus

excerpt-

Belarusian officials responded to Tanya's refusal to return home by banning foreign

exchanges of children affected by the 1986 explosion at Chornobyl. Minsk said it would not

allow children to travel to Western countries without guarantees that all will return home.

Finally, there is a more general problem of resorting to nuclear power in the country most

affected by the Chernobyl disaster. About one fifth of Belarus' residents inhabit areas

contaminated by that accident

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 4:59pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud33w26qsWQ&feature=related

Chernobyl: Life in the Dead Zone (part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnHwLGuNUio&NR=1

Chernobyl: Life in the Dead Zone (part 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnHwLGuNUio&NR=1

Chernobyl: Life in the Dead Zone (part 4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwAVSTWiYE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5is1Jrp9f0&feature=related

Pripyat panorama        Post Nuclear Landscape
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

I need to move to Wyoming...

Mary, I now have heard of these pills for radiation several times. Despite having worked in radiated areas i.e. just doing routine x-ray procedures etc. we never really talked about this. When our badge went max- that was it for our x-ray days. How effective are these pills? Say you were in West Virginia maybe Charleston- and they nuked D.C. or New York? Maybe a few 100 megaton bombs brought in on a boat. You are in a small town doing your thing while everyone in West Virginia oblivious to the nuke of New York, you and your spouse and child are at a chili fest.

Would you be protected?  How about the child?

Med
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Medclinician Medclinician wrote:

How effective are these pills? Say you were in West Virginia maybe Charleston- and they nuked D.C. or New York? Maybe a few 100 megaton bombs brought in on a boat. You are in a small town doing your thing while everyone in West Virginia oblivious to the nuke of New York, you and your spouse and child are at a chili fest. Would you be protected?  How about the child? Med

100 Megaton Bombs haven't been made in 40+ years as they have been proven to be a waste of resources for the damage they do. The average Russian Nuke is now .4 Megatons. Terrorist bombs would be a tiny fraction that size.

You'll never see anything even remotely close to a 100 Megaton detonation as they don't exist anymore.

The 100 megaton bomb that was built weighed 54,000 pounds. If detonated at full yield it would send a shockwave breaking windows 1000 miles away. The Fireball would climb over 200,000 feet and be visible for over 1,000 miles so Mary would know about it :)

Potassium Iodide (KI) is used to prevent thyroid cancer but it's not going to help with other avenues of radiation sickness. If it was a ground detonation it would toss endless tons of radioactive dirt into the atmosphere. The radioactive dust would fall downwind in a rather narrow pattern and Potassium Iodide would be effective for the downwind fallout to prevent thyroid cancer but without several feet of shielding the radiation is still going to kill you. Learn the 7:10 Rule for Residual Radiation Decay if you want a much greater chance of surviving a nuclear war.

So many people are prepped for the swine flu. If you were prepped for a Nuclear war you would also be completely prepped for the swine flu and endless other plagues and pandemics as you would have a clean room, stockpiles of food, water, medicine and the ability to isolate your family from contaminants including air filtration.
ops144 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ops144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 5:04am
tech we still have city busters dont we?

those where fairly large if i remember right40/60 mega ton range ?

been a long time seance i have read up on this subject..
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 6:21am
Originally posted by ops144 ops144 wrote:

tech we still have city busters dont we?those where fairly large if i remember right40/60 mega ton range ?been a long time seance i have read up on this subject..

They fazed them out many decades ago as they were almost impossible to maintain and launch. The effective damage is much greater if you break down warheads into many smaller yields. Nuclear Armed Countries did over 2,000 combined tests from 1945 until 1998 to figure out the most effective bang for the buck. Most Nukes now are .01 to 1.2 Megatons. We have some larger ones but nothing even remotely close to a 100 MegaTon Yield.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 9:47am

France tries to calm reactor concerns

By Peggy Hollinger in Paris

Last updated: November 3 2009 22:30

France was trying to avert a crisis of confidence on Tuesday over its new-generation 
EPR nuclear reactor after regulators in three countries raised questions over control 
and safety systems.

article here-
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/796577b6-c8c2-11de-8f9d-00144feabdc0.html

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 5:40pm

EU must help Ukraine to fight flu - Poland

Tue Nov 3, 2009 3:02pm EST

* Poland ups its H1N1 cases to 185, no deaths so far

Mary008

MamaBear4 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaBear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 9:38am
Tech, Just read your post from 11/3 @ 6:49pm. Can you educate  us on air filtration for a clean room. What is needed and is it possible to do on previously construted homes. It would be great if builders would mention that option before construction. Are there businesses that retrofit  them for homes? Hope you can help. I guess I can google "Clean Rooms" but, I think thats a whole new subject. I don't want to risk getting on the "list".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic