Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

"MUST READ"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pola33193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "MUST READ"
    Posted: February 26 2006 at 8:22pm

PLEASE, TAKE SOME TIME AND READ THIS ARTICLE .

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/26/opinion/edgarrett.php

pola
shrug View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:08am

A sobering article, pola. If BF begins to spread uncontrolled through the world's population, we will undoubtedly find ourselves facing many tough lessons. Too bad that we humans typically learn the hard way -- in retrospect, in spite of having within our reach most of the information and capabilities we need to calmly and effectively prepare for the worst.

Ideally, nations around the world could assemble 'prep' teams. Disaster management experts, medical professionals, and others with relevant qualifications could stand ready to assess local situations, prevent spread of infection, control outbreaks and/or provide medical aid as needed. Imo, there would almost certainly be more survivors. And less of the too-familiar tragic and unnecessary suffering that every disaster seems to produce.

The world is unfortunately a long way from putting aside political posturing long enough to act in the best interests of survival of the species. But if an attack of BF momentarily causes us to consider such a radical concept, the gap will become somewhat narrower.

The world population today is calculated to be 6.5 million. "By 2050, say the demographers who make the clock tick, the planet’s population will soar to 9.22 billion. Some argue it won’t take nearly that long. According to the French National Institute of Demographic Research, the planet’s population hit 6.5 billion last Dec. 19, and will probably pass 7 billion by the middle of 2012."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thes tar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=96816396450 5&cid=1140826029712&col=968705899037&call_page=T S_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/N ews

Even after a global pandemic, the population should eventually recover. Am I naive or foolish for dreaming a day will come when threats such as BF will be met with collaboration rather than panic?

I love this forum. In my life, I am mostly alone with my BF concerns. I've noticed that many of the people I know in person tend to avoid what might be considered serious subjects in general. I am grateful that I have found a place where thinking, preparing and expressing one's views are encouraged.

Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 5:46am
Shrug....We are to happy to have you here.  I think a majority of people on this site have friends and family members who think they've went over the deep end.  I look for someday soon those people will be hunting us out for info on how to prepare...that is if there is still time.         God bless.  
Angel
mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:28am

Yes Shrug well said in everyway.  Just last week I finally decided to talk to each of my loved ones about this looming pandemic even though I knew that I would be met with resistance and even being laughed at among others. But, I did it anyway because my mind just wouldn't let me alone about it.  I did tell each of them that this was the only time that I would bring up the subject uless they wanted to talk about it. Sure enough word got back that there was a good joke to be had - but I'm at peace about it all. And I am prepping the best I can for some of them, too.Big smile

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:40am

I find to that I am alone in my concerns..All I have to talk to about it are my kids..and I sorta did the freak thing last night....just putting plans in to place and I got the pooh poo from the 14 year old..his eyes rolling in his..kinda stuff and then he starts to cry cause i lost it..trying to save their lives penny pinch..shop at thrift stores get what I can for them..and now with all the news this week..just getting crazy...

I have no family close by..and if I tried to talk to them about this I knwo they would put me a straight jacket(well at least try)...at least we have this site to express how we feel and keep up to date on whats going on...and even thou I have some things to get done today..I find myself compelled to come back here and see whats going on..

I have the feeling the news about H2H is going to be fast and furious..and i want to be right on top of it...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 10:39am

We're right there with you Muskrat!

It must be hard with just children to talk to. Maybe you should try a step back, take an afternoon off and go for a walk, or watch some TV with your children. Just a thought.

Colleen

mohican View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 10:50am

I feel like I'm butting in a family discussion when ever I post a reply but here I go any way.

Muskrat I agree 100%.  I'm to the point I know longer bring up bf, to my kids, husband, family or friends.  And I don't understand it.  Do they not watch the news or read a paper?  What is it going to take for the world to see this is serious stuff.  And we need to be prepared?  Weather its suppling extra food  or getting a couple months of prescriptions now. 

What does the forum think,  when does the world realize that we are in big trouble?

kiwi View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 2:14pm

interesting what you said mohican regarding weather people are watching the news or reading the paper about bf.

i remember watching a movie some years ago based on a true story of cyclone tracey which hit the top of aussie many years ago, i don't think from mermory that there were too many buildings left standing, lives were lost etc, well anyway they were all warned the storm was coming i think it was christmas eve, by tv, papers etc, and they were preparing the best they could........well it hit darwin with a bang and i remember watching this movie at the time and feeling for these people when in the daylight they were wondering around shell shocked and dazed battered and brusied, their town was flatened their love ones lost, hurt or dead, well amongst all this a couple of aboringal families walked in to town eyes the size of dinner plates looking at the destruction left by the cyclone, but unhurt and not a stratch on them. some of the town people came up to them and asked - where were you? they repiled they had left town and went in-land, they were asked again was it something spirital that they knew to leave? their reply?.......no, we heard it on the radio that the storm was coming, so we left.

some people are lucky to see things and some don't. WWII is another case, when hitler went into europe only a very few left, the rest stayed and it's all recorded in history.

Fruit Loop View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 2:57pm
Great story Kiwi. Hopefully it will be all of us popping our heads up and coming out of the woodwork after all this has passed.
flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:29pm

Hey Muskrat,

Hang in there. God Bless you for having the insight to protect your family.

Don't worry about what others think, do what you feel you need to do to keep your family safe.

14 year olds roll their eyes at everything. i have a 23 year old and when she was that age I was ready to ship her off to military school. In Bavaria. She rolled her eyes so much she got an astigmatism and has to wera glasses now. (at least that's what I tell her)

My strategy for keeping the Freak Outs in check is to only discuss the absolutley neccesary with the kids or the Hubby.  I use alot of direction sheets posted on the inside of cabinets and closets where I store things. I have a binder with pertinant information.I go about my preps quietly and calmly. I take a day off to go to the movies or the park.  As for the rest of my family some listened and some did not. I told them all once, gave them  some websites and called it quits.

I do not try to "convert "anyone, nor do I discuss my preps with the outside world. I only do that here.

Keep up the good work. Hug your kids and yourself.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by mohican mohican wrote:

I feel like I'm butting in a family discussion when ever I post a reply but here I go any way.

Mohican, we are glad to have you here. You are a valued member of this forum.  Your input is appreciated, so please dont feel like you are butting in. All members are very welcome here, please feel at home!

Edited by justme
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:43pm

Hi All!

I too get people looking at me with that "are you serious" look.

My husband, mom and sister are all very supportive. (and preparing with me) My husbands parents say, "well what can we do if it does happen?"

I've talked about it with people I work with also. Some are very interested and have started reading up, while the others just basically laugh at me!

I don't care! Let them say what they'd like! They'll be sorry they didn't listen. When BF does arrive and they are at the store trying like fools to get what they can, I'll be safe at home!

Everyone must do what they feel is right for YOU! Never mind everyone else!

Mom

Essex View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Essex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by shrug shrug wrote:

Even after a global pandemic, the population should eventually recover. Am I naive or foolish for dreaming a day will come when threats such as BF will be met with collaboration rather than panic?

Hopefully Malthusians and neopagan ideologues have been discredited to the point where that does not occur. The horrors of 20th century social engineering should preclude another try at it. It is even dawning on the central committee members who run the PRC that people are an asset, not a liability.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 8:21pm
Essex

that one went right over my head. Are you saying I'm actually important?
mohican View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 8:46pm
Thanks justme.  I appreciate the support this forum gives. 
Hope View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 8:58pm

I'm glad I'm here.  I feel comfort in knowing I'm not alone.  None of us knows for certain what will happen, but we are all trying to make the best choices we can with what we know now. 

Hope

Hope
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:24pm

THANK YOU,  POLA !!  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by shrug shrug wrote:

I love this forum. In my life, I am mostly alone with my BF concerns. I've noticed that many of the people I know in person tend to avoid what might be considered serious subjects in general. I am grateful that I have found a place where thinking, preparing and expressing one's views are encouraged. 

Shrug,

For what it's worth, I don't think that you are naive or foolish for being optimistic about the populations eventual recovery, if and when there is a global pandemic.  They survived after 1918.  As far as collaboration and panic?  People are people.  Everyone reacts differently.  That's to be expected.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:55pm

Originally posted by kiwi kiwi wrote:

some people are lucky to see things and some don't. WWII is another case, when hitler went into europe only a very few left, the rest stayed and it's all recorded in history.
Kiwi,

I can see your comparision with the towns people and the aboringal families who ran away from the impending storm.  But comparing their situation to Hitler's abominations in Europe during WWII just isn't right.

The townspeople were warned about the storm.

Nobody had any idea of Hitler's intent.  Do you think anyone would have stayed if the had any notion of what a monster the man was! Sure, some of the polish farmers surrounding the concentration camps are said to have known as it was happening.  But come on!  We didn't find out about it until the end of the war!

Essex View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Essex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 12:54am
Originally posted by harpmandoodle harpmandoodle wrote:

Essex

that one went right over my head. Are you saying I'm actually important?

Yes you are...no matter what. You have intrisinic value and we should rejoice that you are here. I do not subscibe to the view that "Hey the flu may someday be looked upon as a blessing because, you know, I THINK WE GOT TOO MANY HARPMANDOODLES IN THE WORLD..."

On another forum someone was mentioning that a pandemic might help solve the global warming crisis.

You just got to wonder whose side some people are on....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 5:11am
essex

some people sure are sick in the head.

I'm important again yippeee!!!!!
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 5:36am
Originally posted by mohican mohican wrote:

I feel like I'm butting in a family discussion when ever I post a reply but here I go any way

What does the forum think,  when does the world realize that we are in big trouble?

You're not butting in.  You're contributing.  To address your question, most of the world will remain ignorant until the very end.  Perhaps this is better.  It certainly increases the chances for those who have prepared and have the will to do whatever is necessary.

A fine example of this no-it-won't-happen attitude happened to me the other day:   I went out of my way to give someone some printed out information on BF and the guy looked right at me and said, "I'm in a different place".  So be it.  I'll survive, and he'll most likely not.

Only three types of people are going to get through this un-scathed.

The lucky.

The prepared.

The ruthless.

Personally, I fit into the latter two types, which greatly increases my odds of getting through this alive. 

I LIKE SCARY RIDES
FlulessinDC View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlulessinDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 7:24am

Just putting in my 2 cents, but I believe that we lose sight sometimes of the nature of the threat we may face.

The worst influenza pandemic in recorded history killed between 2 and 5 percent of the population that caught the virus.  A tragedy, to be sure, but not a population killer like something out of The Stand or The Omega Man.  Most of the world survived and recovered in 1918, and we will this time, too.

This virus may indeed be more deadly than the H1N1 of 1918, but we don't know that for sure.  As a matter of fact, there is very little about the virus that we do know for sure.  We can only know that the better we prepare ourselves and our families, the better chance we have of surviving WHATEVER threat that comes up.

Psychologically, I prefer to do three things:

1) Keep a close eye on the evolving situation

2) Stockpile the necessities that will help me avoid exposure to the virus

3) Maintain perspective from a global picture, and not let myself project the worst possible scenario

4) Work with others where I can to provide (and also obtain) support in the face of potentially very trying times ahead.

Just my two cents...  but I don't think I'm burying my head in the sand...

~Fluless

No plan of battle ever survives contact with the enemy.
Heinz Guderian

Plans are nothing; planning is everything.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
kiwi View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 9:54am

repling to im appalled: your right in saying no- one had any idea of hilters evil intent when he entered into europe and your right to say he was a monster, but europe did know he was on the march, and like that storm and this BF they knew and we know it is coming, some of us believe the BF more than likely will turn out to be very destructive....... but a lot will think it won't be too bad, and they have the same access to the information as the rest of us, but chose not to take it too serious at the moment, time is of an essence here, as it was with the storm

im sorry if i offended you anyway, i was trying to give an exsample of how people in general recieve and digest information of an  unknow impending situation,some will have the idea of sitting it out believing the superflu won't be cranked up to what the news is saying, thinking how could something like that happen in our day and age with all our science and medicines? some will wait till the last min and when they SEE with their own eyes that this bug is a monster, then they will try and duck for cover. most of our generation and younger who live in pretty much peaceful countries have no idea that things could change in a very sort time and never be the same again for a long time.

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:14am

KIWI, The people in Germany, Poland etc. and the rest of europe did not leave because they had no where to go! This was their home. The only home they ever knew and even if in thier wildest dreams they could have imagined the torture, death and diabolicle distruction that would befall them (which of course they couldn't possibly) they had no where else to go and you were not able to leave w/o propper papers even if you had the means and desire.  Which country in europe would you have suggested? All were effected. And why should they have to leave anyway? It was their country too. Hitler was not a sunami or a cat 5 hurricane!

I cannot believe that you would even incinuate that the people who lived and died in europe during WWII died because they didn't heed the warning signs! And hence you basically saying that it was all their own falt because they should've known better.

So glad you have all the woulda coulda shoulda's worked out in your little mind so nice and neat from the comfort of your home.

What WWII movies have you been watching anyway??? I'd be happy to make some new recomendations.

There is no comparison to be made here between Hitler and BF in terms of people heeding the waring signs.

I'm Appauled I commend you for not letting kiwi's rediculous point go unaddressed but the world did know what was taking place in Europe during the war. Many turned a blind eye just like we do now. We don't like to see or get involved with the attrocities taking place today in other parts of the world like Darfar and/or Aids killing millions in Africa. Even the plight of Katrina victims has faded away to some degree in the minds of most Americans I fear. Same old same old, just not my problem onto the new unfortunate disaster of the day. People suffer from distractability, very short attention spans and self involvement. :>{

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
TomMI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:48am

I'm lucky I have a wife who thinks like I do on this subject. Its good to have someone who helps me unload the preps out of the car!!! I sympathize with anyone whose significant other is in denial about this. I wouldnt want to be the one to say "I told you so"!!!

Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 12:48pm

Since someone else brought up the analogy  and made the comparision to this current situation and the war in Europe during the Hitler Era, lets' do the subject some justice here and make an educated response andget it out of the road forever

The jews were very well aware of the fact that Hitler was coming to power as early as 1930, watched the rise in antisemitism increasing exponentially month by month, watched the Nazi Party and the SA grow and grow and grow in numbers and in influence, watched as they won elections.  Hitler gets appointed Chancellor in 1933, and the Nazi's take over the Reichstag.  That same year the Reichstag burns and all power goes to Hitler, who rules by decree from that point forward.  Hitler.  The man that wrote "Mein Kampf"- which was widely pubished and read since 1929.  That was writing on the wall for anyone jewish that wasn't blind.  Three years later the "racial laws" of Goering (Nuremberg) 1936, start taking everything away from the jews, I mean everything away from them, step by step this happens, not overnight mind you, but  in broad daylight over a years time.  1938, the Pogrom, Krystal Nacht, "the Night of Breaking Glass"- all over Germany what little else they had was destroyed and the police did nothing to stop it because they were under the control of the Nazi Party. 

Point I am making here is that they knew something ill , something very ill was headed their way.  Some choose to do something about it, some chose to do nothing and hoped against all reasonable odds that somehow it would stop and go into reverse, and some obviously ignored it despite the fact that every jew in Europe was talking about it, was feeling the effects already.

The ones that choose to do something about it lived.

This H5N1 situation is not much different by comparision in that we, like the jews in the 1930's, have ample warning that something wicked is going to happen, that it is coming and there's not one dammned thing we can do to stop it.  All we can do is not ignore it and make the choices that will allow us to survive.  That choice is to prepare for it.

There are those who won't prepare because they hope that it won't happen, there are those who won't prepare because they don't beleive it will/can happen.

There is nothing we can do for people who ignore the facts, who ignore the obvious.  They do so at their own peril, not at ours.

I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 1:00pm
Very well said Thomas!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 3:07pm

You may die during the pandemic. You may die from a heart attack, a break-in, an accident or the “bird-flu”. By preparing you increase your chances of survival. You will have medical supplies, food, fuel, and water for several weeks at home. If you and everyone in your family come down with the flu you can save your strength using your preparations. Be prepared for disasters. Then be at peace knowing you’ve done your best for your family.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic