Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Feb 27 what have you done to prep today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feb 27 what have you done to prep today
    Posted: February 27 2006 at 5:29am
Good morning the start of another week are we doing more now that the flu is getting more out of control: I am going to do up another 30 bottles of water todat and hopefully some more apple sauce for the freezer...
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 5:34am
Good morning, Muskrat. I've got to start using some stuff in my freezer so I can make room to freeze more!  Will be making applesauce in my crockpot today. And, if wee one and I can brave the cold, we'll be trekking off to the grocery store. The news this morning is really creeping me out! -- Libby
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:18am

Me to Libby...I freaked yesterday also..14 year thinks I have a big green horn coming out of my head...

Fruit Loop View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:29am

Hi There-

Well, I have ordered the dry chlorine to use instead of bleach as it stores longer. I also am pecking away at my husband to come on board with me about all this. That is my to do list this week!

loopylou View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:33am

Prep today - 1 lamp and fuel, 1 cooker and fuel & 1 heater & fuel.

1 visit to 1 good camping shop.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:42am
I had put my flour into freezer bags an dmic'd 2 secs.  But thought better of it and they are now in the freezer for a week.  I will be freezing some eggs to into freezer bags, and I have kitchen shelve I think I can clear off for more stuff. It just depends on how busy the site is.
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:42am
We bought the powder bleach, because we figured we are ready to dig a hole /trench pour some sand and powder bleach and use it as a" shuffle pit"  just like in the army for decontamination.
I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
striper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:22pm
Just wondering what would you do with the food in the freezer if the power goes out.
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:31pm
Loopy Lou -- Just make sure you store the fuel somewhere safe -- like outside or in a garage or something.... -- Libby
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:32pm

Striper -- First. welcome to the forum.

Secnd re food in freezer and power outages. I'm planning to eat the food in the freezer first -- as soon as quarantine begins. That way, should the power go out, hopefully I will have already consumed stuff. -- Libby

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 12:47pm

depending on your climate when the hydro goes out...in the olden days they use to dig holes deep in the ground and put in blocks of ice with sawdust and then the food and then another block of ice and more sawdust...they would even have a place under their floorboards to put veggies and fruits to store for winters...

right now my freezer is stuffed to the max..I have enough snow in back yard to have tons of freezers and -20 celcuis here today burrrrrrrrr

Edited by muskrat
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 7:33pm

I got 10 cans of chili , 5 cans of ravioli

I got my girlfriend to buy 10 boxes of pancake mix and 10 bottles of syrup. we will also have the 35 gallon tank for water. 

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 7:51pm
I got one 84 cent bottle of shampoo. Only one. Made mistake of sending spouse out.... -- Libby
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 10:18pm

Muskrat you crack me up. Where do yo get all those bottles?? You and your family can't possibly be drinking that much pop!! LOL

and Libby, you really crack me up too. You are just too cute. thanx for the chuckle! :>}

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 10:28pm

Oh, I forgot to say that I bought 10 cans beef-r-roni, 10 gaterades, 4 big boxes of rice crispies and 1 doz boxes ronzoni pasta. All on sale big time. The Ronzoni I bought was angle hair, capellini no.11 and pastina. These all had cooking times of way less than half that of ziti and bigger macaroni's that I have stored. I never took this into consideration before (re: fuel consupmtion). I will go back for more tomarrow.  

Happy shopping all. :>}

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
merrittjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:02am
I bought and filled another tank of propane. and am thinking of getting a load of firewood or two (if the pandemic never comes I'll still be able to enjoy a nice blazing fire for the next few winters)  Having been burnt in an explosion caused by gasoline fumes, the thought of folks storing this stuff scares the S%@T out of me.  For gods sake, never store the stuff in your house or even an attached garage.  If you want to store some (and I have 40 gallons) store it OUTSIDE and as far from the house as possible!  Diesel and kerosene are MUCH less dangerous but should still be stored in an outbuilding.  Candles....OK, those you can store in the house.
willtolive
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:07am
I'm not allowed to buy anything else until next paycheck.  We spent over $500 at Costco over the weekend.  Besides, the power will be on and off all week anyway, we are having storms here.  I think I may go get some of that silver solution people keep talking about and stash that in the house, what the husband doesn't know about won't hurt him, and if he gets bf, I can dose him with it.
cosmicpixie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmicpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:07am
I'm a bit sick of shopping again but did come across a cheap copy of THE STAND by Stephen king today for 25pence in a charity shop-i didnt even know what the book was about til i read the thread on this forum asking how many have seen the film....so,it was in my head to buy a copy somehwere and i found it totally by chance and accident today!it's a sign!
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by fritz fritz wrote:

The Ronzoni I bought was angle hair, capellini no.11 and pastina. These all had cooking times of way less than half that of ziti and bigger macaroni's that I have stored. I never took this into consideration before (re: fuel consupmtion). I will go back for more tomarrow.  

Something worth pointing out here is that you can bring most any pasta in water to a boil. Boil for a minute or two and turn down on low. It will cook this way but it will take longer. You can also cook the pasta about half the time it calls for, assuming the water is boiling, then turn it off an put a lid on it. It will continue to cook. I do this all the time. It takes some practice but it works. This would save a lot on fuel consumption.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 2:22pm
Good point daydreamer, very true. :>}
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 2:46pm
coal oil lamp 4 gal fuel, powdered egg whites x3 cans
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by fritz fritz wrote:

Muskrat you crack me up. Where do yo get all those bottles?? You and your family can't possibly be drinking that much pop!! LOL

and Libby, you really crack me up too. You are just too cute. thanx for the chuckle! :>}

YES i HAVE THAT MANY AND YES WE DRINK THAT MUCH POP..LOL

Thay have some of the old stuff on sale for 99cents a 2 litre..and we have just sucked one back

P.S remember I have 4 kids, and me...good stuff like that does not last long in a crowd...

striper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 5:48pm
I bought 2 more cases of water today. If this bird flu pandemic doesn't happen, my garden will get this water since I don't care for Poland Sping water at all...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:18pm
I bought 4 more tubes of toothpaste,6 more cans of cn soup and 3 roasts..and had to do just a regular shop(kids need to eat)teehee..I will be back out again tomorrow pick up few more items..but most of all I need to find space for more water..Well might have to get rid of the Christmas tree and all the decorations
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 6:55pm

Muskrat!!!!! You don't still have your Christmas tree up do you????? Ours is still up. We absolutely have to take it down. Tomorrow is Ash WEdnesday. 3 year old said yesterday -- "Merry Christmas, Mama."

I had to work today and didn't get much done. Am cooking beets at the moment. And, last night, in the wee hours, I ordered a food saver. Don't know how I'm going to explain _that_ when it arrives. I really meant to just look at it online, but then one click led to another.... -- Libby

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 5:21am

No my tree is in a box taking up space in one of my basement cupboards...humm maybe its time to see whats int he attic..I could store the Christmas stuff up there..I have a few sheets of dry wall left over from a project..I will cut some peices and lay in the attic and store Christmas stuff up there..and in emergency food preps are going up there...and behind walls..

but today i am doing more canned goods...and I am going to thrift store see what they have for clothing book preps...

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 9:33am
Ah geesh. I should never have confessed our tree was still up. Thought I'd found a fellow procrastinator ...... 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 9:53am
I looked online for Dillons/Kroger/Gerbes ads today. They don't have their 10 for $10 but they do have Kroger veggies and Tuna in water for 10 for $4.00. That is just 40 cents a can. Pretty good price on the tuna. I can get the canned veggies cheaper at Aldi's or Save A Lot but I am going to stock up on some more tuna tomorow.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:04pm

Ohhhhh someone please feel sorry for me...I just got back from suppose to go shopping...but ended up coming across some fantastic did not cost me a dime(except the thirty dollars for the truck)..I got a new bedroom suite(headboard,box spring and mattress, high boy dresser and a long dresser)..also a couch and chair set...a wooden round dining room table and a large fan style wicker chair for my daughters room..oh and a foldable card table and 4 chairs..woohoo...but dang I moved the box spring and mattress and headboard on the top of my car loaded itmyself and unloaded alone..plus I had to move all the drawers from the dressers and the huge mirror and couch cushions....and to top it all of ..I got 4 green garbage bags full of bigger sized clothes for kids.. a snowsuit for my daughter,blankets,curtains...

Great deals but frig does this ole body ache...anyone up to volunter to help me and massage the ole back...

iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:06pm
Way to go Muskrat.........now that's my kind of deal.........free!!!  Take you a hot bubble bath.........with candles, a good book, glass of wine or whatever you choose and your back will feel better.  LOL 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:07pm
OH and the best thing I got was the smallest thing...I got 7 of those old fashion chalk boards..the ones they use to use in the schools..mental note to self stock up on chalk....and more books...
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:14pm

LONG day shopping today :-( I only get shopping money twice a month, so when I get it...I'm raring to spend some money. I have $600.00 a month to cover ALL the household expenses: gas, food, clothing entertainment, etc. I'm slowly stockpiling by ONLY buying what we NEED, but I have to work REALLY hard at it.

I have to price match or shop all over the place and get everything at the best buy possible.

I had a BUNCH of stuff at Walmart today to price match. The cashier messed the order up SO badly, and made it worse every time she tried to fix it. Finally I just let her do what she wanted and then took my stuff over to customer service and made them rescan my order. $93.00 was only supposed to be $50.00!!!!!

It took me an hour to pick out all my items and over an hour to get them purchased! :-(

I got a GREAT buy on paper products, mayo, eggs, and mac and cheese, though...so I need to be thankful. I wasn't shopping in a panic, I wasn't in terrible pain or sick, I had enough money to purchase these items. I need to be thankful.

I also bought bleach, potatoes, Ramen noodles, and lentils to sprout. Oh yeah, some yogurt to use as starter to make my own yogurt from dry milk in a thermos.

I also shopped at BJ's warehouse and loaded up on dry milk, flour, sugar, and whole chickens.

I forget what else I bought, but it was all real basic stuff in bulk. Long day shopping, but feeling good :-)

Except I saw a mealy moth!!!!! I haven't seen one since last summer. I have NO idea where he came from! I recently went through all the cupboards. I know EXACTLY what I have. Almost all the things moths like are out on the uninsulated porch and semi frozen. I CANNOT lose my storage! I've got to check EVERYTHING tomorrow and keep EVERYTHING out on the porch that I can. I need to check the puppy food, I'm thinking as I type this.

I've got to get all this stuff in glass or plastic before the weather warms up! I have a TON of OLD canning jars in the basement. I need to go find rubbers for them and get this stuff into them and into the cold cellar, pronto.

Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:19pm
OK, fess up!:Y:]

Where did you get your egg whites and do you know how they taste?

Still looking. Rocky

Originally posted by stormriderfla stormriderfla wrote:

coal oil lamp 4 gal fuel, powdered egg whites x3
cans
[
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 4:57pm
Well at the risk of pushing a grocery store chain in Fl...Albertsons, Deb -El Just whites.the 8oz =57 egg whites. $8.00, less with good shopper coupon. I also got some smaller ones which I will spring out on the wife at the camping trip to disney very soon. So I will let you know. It says that they are good for substitution in cakes or mixes which use egg whites.  Albertsons also had WHOLE full of fat powdeded milk, their brand. It's the only place I have found it.-K
striper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 5:22pm
Amazon.com sells Powedered whole eggs and Powedered egg whites.
Rainla View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 5:53pm

I broke down and bought a freezer.  I keep telling myself that if TSHTF I will hopefully be able to use the frozen stuff first. If we dodge this bullet I will just keep it stocked and rotate new stuff in. It will be replacing a second fridge that we moved from our old house so it will not be using too much more energy.

Next the "fun" part - getting it stocked. Going to try to do it in 1 or 2 trips - ought to be interesting to say the least.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 7:52pm

I purchased 50 packs of Ramen noodles tonight. They were 10 for a $1 so I couldn't pass it up. I will probably pick up another 50 or 100 before the sale ends on Tuesday next week.

I am going to my old home town tomorrow to visit my mom and do some shopping at my favorite money saving stores. I'll try to post what I end up with later tomorrow night.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 8:10pm
That is what I plan to do also, as soon as we start staying at home we will eat the food in the freezer first. I am kind of thinking that if the electricity goes out, that it won't go out right away, I am hoping we will have some time. I am focusing on lots of canned goods at this point, made another run to the store today. We have 2 refrigerators and a freezer, I am using the top freezer of one refrigerator to freeze everything (rice, beans, flour, sugar, etc.) for a few days to prevent weevils. Going to check tomorrow to see if the 18 lb bags of cat food will fit in there, at least I will try to put each bag in for a few days.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 8:30pm
penham~that is our plan here as well. I am trying not to store too much in the freezer. I am buying canned goods, pasta, beans, rice, ect. I am going to invest in a pressure canner so I can put up some home canned chicken and beef. I don't plan to count on the freezer after the first couple of weeks. I hope I am wrong about it but I'd rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Hope View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 1:07am

What are the chances we will lose gas and electric?  I know it is all speculation, but at this point I have purchased no wood for my "gas fireplace".  My freezer is stuffed with frozen meat.  Yikes.   All your thoughts are welcome!

Hope
maryk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 6:52am

Im worried. It dose not look as though anyone else arround me is making any preperations. Tring to convince my family im not nuts. I have on hand at the moment

1000 books of matches

20 candels

7 flashlights- that's one for each person in the house

tent and radio and 3 coolers

set of 2 walkie talkies with 5 mile range

gun (22) 1000 shells

my house is surrounded by woods so i have plenty for cooking ect.

30 packs of food seed

7 5 gallon gas cans

and what food i have i can make last 6 weeks, and alot of spices

hope that's a good start

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 7:15am

my house is surrounded by woods so i have plenty for cooking ect(quote)

And what if the wild life get H5N1..we already know it has spread to tigers and a cat...you won,t be able to eat duck or geese...hummmm and there has been cases of cows, so it will probably get into venision also..deer moose and fish...i would rethink that plan and do you want ot go and hunt and what if you step in bird popo...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 7:16am
and if you are thinking about for burning alos...me thinks me does not want to pick up the log that the bird crapped on
maryk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 7:29am
so then i guess the seeds are no good either, and i have way to much amo unless a thousand people come to my door. and the gass wont be of any use either?
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 7:33am
I wouldn't be too fast on discarding the seeds..
I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic