Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Afghanistan/ Pakistan News, Items of Interest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afghanistan/ Pakistan News, Items of Interest
    Posted: July 19 2010 at 4:43pm
File:Taliban-herat-2001%20ArM.jpg

The Roots of Islamic Terrorism:

the Wahhabis of Saudi Arabia

Wahaabiism is a Movement & Not A Sect

It was called 'Al-Mouwahhadoun' or 'The Unifiers' {of the Arabian Peninsula under Islamic Rule}
but the West named it 'Wahaabiism' (a misnomer) after its spiritual leader's name in the 18th century AD.

It ended up in the formation of the Saudi State. The movement followed the Hanbali School of Islamic Fiqha or Jurisprudence.Ilaila (talk) 19:14, 11 November 2009 (UTC)

The Taliban: Exporting Extremism,
.........................................................................................

by Ahmed Rashid, 11/99

Historically, Afghanistan was a deeply conservative Muslim country where sharia ... Saudi funds and scholarships brought them closer to ultraconservative Wahhabism. ... The Taliban, Deobandi groups in Pakistan, and bin Laden's terrorist ...

Madrassa: Breeding ground of Jihadists

...According to some experts in Pakistan,

Madrassas in that country are regularly ... The terrifyingly ultra-conservative Taliban regime was unquestionably the .... In many ways, Wahhabism is part of the Salafi movement within Islam. ...

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 4:18am

Ignorant seems a favored word...

It was a violent week for Mosque bombings... 

Iranian Police hold 40 over mosque attacks

Police in Iran have arrested 40 suspects after the devastating twin bombings of a mosque in the
south-eastern city of Zahedan, according to an Iranian news agency.

VIDEO

Date: 2010/07/17 source: ABNA 

Ignorant Wahhabis Brutally Martyred ( Murdered ) 18 Shia Muslims in Pakistan
........................................................................................................................................

Killing of Shias: FIR should be registered against Saudi embassy and the ISI
...................................................................................................................................

By Omar Khattab

On 17 July a convoy of Shias was attacked by the Taliban who used rockets and automatic

weapons and cut down killing 18 including women and children.

Chechen Insurgent Wahhabis Destroyed Prayer House in Pankisi Gorge
...................................................................................................................................

Ahlul Bayt News Agency (ABNA.ir), Tbilisi, Georgia -- Group of Chechen ignorant Wahhabis

destroyed a prayer house of traditional Muslims in the Georgian village of Birkiani in the

Pankisi Gorge, the Kakheti Information Center reported on Tuesday.

Mary008

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 11:53am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/25/afghanistan-taliban-missile-strike-chinook?intcmp=239

The US military covered up a reported surface-to-air missile strike by the Taliban that shot down a Chinook helicopter over Helmand in 2007 and killed seven soldiers, including a British military photographer, the war logs show.

The strike on the twin-rotor helicopter shows the Taliban enjoyed sophisticated anti-aircraft capabilities earlier than previously thought, casting new light on the battle for the skies over Afghanistan.

Hundreds of files detail the efforts of insurgents, who have no aircraft, to shoot down western warplanes. The war logs detail at least 10 near-misses by missiles in four years against coalition aircraft, one while refuelling at 11,000ft and another involving a suspected Stinger missile of the kind supplied by the CIA to Afghan rebels in the 1980s.

But if American and British commanders were worried about the missile threat, they downplayed it in public – to the extent of ignoring their own pilots' testimony. The CH-47 Chinook was shot down on 30 May 2007 after dropping troops at the strategic Kajaki dam in Helmand where the British were leading an anti-Taliban drive. Witnesses reported that a missile struck the left rear engine of the aircraft, causing it to burst into flames and nosedive into the ground. All on board died, including 28-year-old Corporal Mike Gilyeat of the Royal Military Police.

Later that day Nato and US officials suggested the helicopter, codenamed Flipper, had been brought down by a rocket-propelled grenade – effectively, a lucky hit. "It's not impossible for small-arms fire to bring down a helicopter," Nato spokesman Major John Thomas told Reuters in Kabul. A US official said it had "probably been brought down by a rocket-propelled grenade [RPG]".

But US pilot logs show they were certain the missile was not an RPG and was most likely a Manpad – the military term for a shoulder-launched surface-to-air missile. "Witness statements from Chalk 3 [another aircraft] suggest Flipper was struck by Manpad," it reads.

Those fears were confirmed by two Apache attack helicopters hovering over the crash site that came under fire from more missiles, twice in 30 minutes. Both missiles missed, and the pilots subsequently reported that they were "not an RPG" but a "probable first-generation MANPAD".

"Clearly the Taliban were attempting to down an Apache after downing the CH-47," it read.

The crash and its handling highlight steadily escalating US worries amid a stream of intelligence reports, also captured in the files, that suggest the Taliban were being supplied with missiles from Iran and Pakistan.

One internal report in September 2005 warned that Taliban commanders in Zabul and Kandahar provinces had acquired missiles they called "number two Stinger", for about $1,000 (£650) each. Nine months later came the first of at least 10 near-miss reports.

In June 2006 a Black Hawk medevac helicopter came under fire 25 miles from Kandahar. The missile changed course after the American crew launched six diversionary flares. "The crew chief saw only the smoke trail due to evasive maneuvering but determined that the missile was a type of MANPAD," the subsequent report read – the second Manpad attack that month.

In June 2007, shortly after the American Chinook was shot down in Kajaki, a British Chinook had a close shave when its missile warning system activated 6,000ft over Helmand. "The crew looked out their window and observed a projectile with a white-grey tight spiral smoke trail rising from their 7 o'clock, climbing through their level and exploding 2000ft 3000ft above and 0.5-1nm [nautical miles] ahead of the aircraft," it read.

"The airburst was described as a dark grey cloud. All crew members heard a loud bang and the projectile passed within 50ft of the aircraft."

A month later a C-130 aircraft was refueling 11,000ft over Nimroz province when a crew member spotted a "bright flash" followed by a second flash 2 nautical miles away. "A corkscrew smoke trale [sic] was observed and the aircraft dispensed flares" just before projectiles streaked past the plane, read the assessment.

The anti-aircraft missile threat has a strong historical resonance in Afghanistan. CIA-supplied Stingers punched dozens of Soviet Hind helicopters from the skies in the 1980s, and were considered to have played a key role in forcing the Soviets to abandon the country in 1989.

Western worries that the phenomenon could be repeated in this war have made surface-to-air missiles a favourite topic among intelligence informers, whose unconfirmed accounts of meddling foreign powers stuff the files.

As fighting intensified in April 2007 one unidentified source told an American officer that seven Manpads purchased by Iran from Algeria had been "clandestinely transported from Mashhad in Iran across the border into Afghanistan". Other reports, also unconfirmed, accused Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence of supplying weapons or missile-trainers to the Taliban.

More concretely, the files contain first-hand accounts of Afghan tribesmen slipping into US bases offering to sell their private stock of missiles. In one instance four elders from Balkh, near Mazar-i-Sharif, arrived with a clutch of blurry photographs of missiles. "Their motivation is monetary gain," the report notes.

The Americans were particularly interested in retrieving unused Stingers from the stockpile of up to 2,000 distributed in the 1980s. One report from Jowzjan in 2005 said an Afghan intelligence chief was authorised to pay $5,000 for older SA-7 missiles and $15,000 for a Stinger. "The NDS [National Directorate of Security] had been ordered to buy all they can acquire, to stop them falling into OMF [opposing military force] hands," it says.

Military experts say many Stingers may no longer be operational – due to drained batteries, for instance – but on at least one occasion US troops feared they were under fire from their own weapons. A Black Hawk helicopter leaving an airbase in Paktika province in July 2007 came under fire from two missiles that crew members believed were Stingers. It was a "probable Stinger due to flight characteristics, the smoke trail going straight up, then turn towards aircraft and lack of cork screws".

The assessment was provided by a crew member who said he had previously operated the Stinger system. It is not recorded whether his assessment was later confirmed.

Another eye-catching intelligence report from January 2009 says an Iranian agent, Hussein Razza, had arrived in Marjah in Helmand carrying four Stingers. There have been no reports since of aircraft being shot down in Marjah, where British and American troops launched a major offensive last February.

But for all the worries about Manpads and Stingers, the Taliban's most potent weapon against US aircraft was a carefully aimed RPG. In June 2005 a Taliban rocket shot down a Chinook in Kunar, killing all 16 special forces troops on board. Another RPG strike in 2007 forced a Black Hawk in Wardak province to crash-land.

As fighting surged in the runup to the last election in August 2009, one report noted 32 RPG attacks against aircraft across Afghanistan in the previous month. "RPGs remain the most lethal weapon system used in theatre, accounting for the majority of A/C [aircraft] losses," it said.

But some missile attacks remained a mystery. In August 2007 two Harrier jets flying at 270mph were circling a target when "an unidentified rocket" passed between them, leaving a thick smoke trail that soared above 21,000ft and took three minutes to dissipate. Task Force Pegasus, the US army aviation command, was puzzled. "The signature reported by the crew does not match any known weapon in Afghanistan. Every MANPAD and known rockets burn out at half the height reported by the crew."

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 10:21pm
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 10:24pm

PBS

BEHIND TALIBAN LINES

FRONTLINE

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 10:28pm

...Theocracies defined by sharia law.

If America is looking to define a war win in Afghanistan as destroying tribal influence,

ousting theocracy,and imposing western style law, then it's unwinnable.

Mapping the Taliban

inside Afghanistan alone there are well over 150 distinct groups that are considered

Taliban, or are aligned with them and/or Al Qaeda. They have different goals, but the

one thing that unites them is the war against foreign occupiers.

Mary008

mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 3:45pm
These are some chilling pictures of what's going on in Afghanistan! I feel for the man and women in harms way, and their family members that are kept up at night worrying about their safety!

Afghanistan, August, 2010
www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/09/afghanistan_august_2010.html
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 8:00am

File:Ghazni%20City%20during%201839-42.jpg

Ghazni City during 1839

Ghazni Fort 2009

9/10/2009 - 22 comments

Ghazni Province is falling to the Taliban. There's no two ways around it: Radio Shariat is transmitting in the area again, and security forces are having a hard time tracking it down because apparently it is being broadcast on a mobile transmitter. Now Tim Lynch reports on a riot in Ghazni City itself

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Ghazni Provincial Governor, Musa Khan, speaks to U.S. Department of State and Ghazni Provincial Reconstruction Team members about his vision for the province and future events Aug. 21 at the Governor’s Compound in Ghazni City.

Ghazni governor signs memorandum for Lincoln Learning Center
................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................

Written by U.S. Air Force 1st Lt. Katherine Roling, Ghazni Provincial Reconstruction Team Public Affairs Tuesday, 21 September 2010 21:35

This is a good read     (short form ) on the history of Ghazni Province
....................................................................................................................

September 2010
TransWorldNews-

(The deputy governor of the southeastern province of Ghazni,
Khazim Allayar, was killed along with his son, a nephew and a bodyguard in the
provincial capital Tuesday morning.)

'Afghanistan's reputation as a graveyard for foreign armies'
.....................................................................................................

In 1843, the British army chaplain Rev G.H. Gleig wrote a memoir of the disastrous (First) Anglo-Afghan War, of which he was one of the very few survivors. He wrote that it was "a war begun for no wise purpose, carried on with a strange mixture of rashness and timidity, brought to a close after suffering and disaster, without much glory attached either to the government which directed, or the great body of troops which waged it. Not one benefit, political or military, was acquired with this war. Our eventual evacuation of the country resembled the retreat of an army defeated”. [11]

In the three decades after the First Anglo-Afghan War, the Russians advanced steadily southward towards Afghanistan. In 1842, the Russian border was on the other side of the Aral Sea from Afghanistan; but five years later the Tsar's outposts had moved to the lower reaches of the Amu Darya. By 1865, Tashkent had been formally annexed, as was Samarkand three years later. A peace treaty in 1873 with Amir Alim Khan of the Manghit dynasty, the ruler of Bukhara, virtually stripped him of his independence. Russian control then extended as far as the northern bank of the Amu Darya.

In 1878, the British invaded again, beginning the Second Anglo-Afghan War.

wikipedia
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 10:19am

CIA Director: Drone Attacks in Pakistan Will Continue

VIDEO

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 12:21am

ABCNews | September 25, 2010

Afghanistan: Operation Dragon Strike

VIDEO

VIDEO

Taliban

A Relentless Enemy

60 Minutes

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 12:50am

This also has a 2009 date...

Al Qaida in Saudi Rehab Camps?

First, they must be airlifted out of Afghanistan for Taliban to negotiate peace.

Back in 2009

WATCH AND PRAY: Jon Voight`s Speech at the 2009 GOP Senate-House ...Jun 10, 2009 ... Saudi Arabia Is Ready to Host them… in Rehab Camps - At a secret meeting in Jeddah, top US and Saudi officials discussed a plan to airlift ...
watchandpray-linda.blogspot.com/.../jon-voights-speech-at-2009-gop-senate.html

Jon Voight`s Speech at the 2009 GOP Senate-House Dinner
.......................................................................................................

(FULL SPEECH)
VIDEO

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 9:26am

Officials aim to establish Afghan local police force by March
........................................................................................................

By David S. Cloud, Los Angeles Times

A U.S.-backed program to increase security in remote parts of Afghanistan aims to recruit 10-person teams of local police in about 900...

Stepped-up U.S. operations in Pakistan taking serious toll on Al Qaeda, CIA chief says
.........................................................................................................................................

By Ken Dilanian, Los Angeles Times

The stepped-up pace of CIA operations in Pakistan "is taking a serious toll" on Al Qaeda's operational abilities, CIA Director Leon E....

scroll down... here

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 5:18pm

Should World Vision/ World Food Program

Think Twice About Putting Employees In Harms Way?
.............................................................................................

Bypass Areas of Danger/War Zones ?

... Seven of its employees were killed. And a year ago, the office of the World Food

Program in Islamabad was attacked, and five employees were killed.

Read here-

Why American aid workers in Pakistan need to keep a low profile
............................................................................................................

By Samuel A. Worthington

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mary008
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 1:51pm
This should make your head spin!

Soldiers ordered not to shoot Taliban as they plant mines... 'because it WAKES UP locals'

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015944/Soldiers-ordered-shoot-Taliban-planters---WAKES-UP-locals.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic