Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

debt ceiling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: debt ceiling
    Posted: June 29 2011 at 6:17am
http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/28/news/economy/debt_ceiling_fallout_bpc/index.htm?iid=HP_Highlight

Read this. I would like to know what forum members from outside the US think when they read this. We see things like this but mostly on the news they spend all their time on fluff so everything mostly looks normal.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 7:54am
I find it ironic that they're telling us that in order to make these payments, we've got to charge MORE onto our collective credit card! The U.S. is facing bankruptcy specifically BECAUSE they've been able to raise the damn debt ceiling every year for as long as I can remember now.

It's like paying off one credit card with another, and then again year after year but never making any headway.

You can't spend your way out of a debt crisis. Ask the PIIGS (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain) how that idea is working out for them... Hint: It's not.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Suzi10 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 8:52am
They know its impossible. They're just trying to make it jog on a while longer. Until it looks like it may happen after the party in power loses. Then they will speed up the crash.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Suzi10 Suzi10 wrote:

They know its impossible. They're just trying to make it jog on a while longer. Until it looks like it may happen after the party in power loses. Then they will speed up the crash.

The sad thing is, Suzi, that it's not just one party that is at fault for this, it's BOTH of them!

The debt ceiling is little more than a political football. Every time it comes up the Numbnuts Democrats trot out all the people that are going to get pushed out on the street or eaten by lions if the ceiling isn't raised, and the retard republicans drag out all of how they fought the good fight against the eeevil Democrats, but alas were forced to again raise it. It's a scam, they *ALL* want it raised because how else are they going to waste more of our hard earned money? If they're just going to raise the damn thing every year anyway, why not just remove the debt ceiling altogether?

I had hope that the freshman representatives from the "Tea Party" might decide to go ahead and prevent the ceiling from getting pushed higher, but I don't think they will... Cowards. It's specifically *WHY* they were elected. They're nothing more than Republicans, who are the same as Democrats with different feathers.

Some day that fiddler is going to demand his due. We can't go on spending this way. We're, right now, at nearly 75% of our GDP. By 2020 we're going to be at 100%! That is totally unsustainable.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 9:20pm
Turbo...so correct! My late dear hubby use to say Conservatives are true cowards! No worries the Dems and Repubs will up the debt limit and do little to cut spending and no new taxes.

We need a flat tax for individuals and corporations... NO DEDUCTIONS! If we did this we could have a flat tax of 5% or less for all!! But, then there would be no need for lobbyists and pay offs to election coffers.

Please read this it is very true:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis-Charles-Henri Clérel de Tocqueville (July 29, 1805 – April 16, 1859) was a French political thinker and historian best known for his Democracy in America (appearing in two volumes: 1835 and 1840) and The Old Regime and the Revolution (1856). In both of these works, he explored the effects of the rising equality of social conditions on the individual and the state in western societies.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 9:11am
Yeah, Flumom, that quote I've seen penned under a number of names. Everything from Alexis to Alexander Tyler. It's been widely criticized based on Ad Hominem, but that does not make those words any less true.

Typically the far Left likes to criticize that quote, but are unable to refute it, and that makes it funny to see them try. Ad Hominen is really all they've got.

The sad thing is that you can see exactly where we are in that series of events. It was specifically illustrated in the election of Zer0. (Barack Obama) Remember the woman, Peggy Joseph, screaming that Barack Obama is going to put gas in her car and pay her mortgage/rent? These people truly believe that! Thankfully Zer0 wouldn't be able to produce that kind of capital and her pipe dreams are little more than a fantasy, but that doesn't mean that he's not trying his hardest. (Porkulus, Obamacare, etc)

The problem is that the road to ruin for our country has been started and I have no idea how it's going to be stopped. I firmly believe that the Republicans will do their best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! They're going to somehow try to justify nominating Mitt Romney to run against Zero! Those two are two sides of the same coin and we need someone better qualified. I'd love to see Herman Cain curbstomp that Piece of BLEEP Zer0 right out of the Whitehouse, but there is no way the Republicans would nominate anyone who understands business and real fiscal policy. Obama is going to get re-elected, and our country isn't going to look anything like the sad state we're in now. It's going to be a total disaster.

The Democrats are hell bent on bankrupting the country and the Republicans are either spineless or in cahoots. It's why I've invested in Brass, Copper, Steel, and Lead.
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 9:42pm
One Man Protest draws large police response (The Fed)

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 6:40am
Great video Mahshadin!

I'm impressed that people are starting to wake up and smell the stink of male cow crap coming from the Fed.
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 8:26am
Make the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, stop all tax credits immediately, raise the debt ceiling, pull our troups out of the middle east.  We need to stop micromanaging the middle east and manage our own country appropriately.
Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by sleusha sleusha wrote:

Make the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes, stop all tax credits immediately, raise the debt ceiling, pull our troups out of the middle east.  We need to stop micromanaging the middle east and manage our own country appropriately.

Describe for me, "Paying Their Fair Share." The top 5% of earners already pay more than 70% of all taxes taken in. The lower 50% pays almost nothing.

Do not raise the debt ceiling. Why even have a debt ceiling when they just raise it every single year? Raising the debt ceiling is EXACTLY why we're in the mess we're in right now.

As for tax credits, I agree wholeheartedly! They should then make it a flat tax, but that'd never happen because then the elite rich people wouldn't have a billion and two loopholes through which to hide their money.

We totally need to manage our country appropriately.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 7:57pm
Here is the problem, Congressmen and Senators make LOTS of money while in office so they become Millionaires and don't want to pay taxes. So that is why Dems and Repubs will not raise taxes on the "rich" because they become very rich in office.

Tancredo in Colorado lost 1 million with Madoff and he is still worth a huge amount of money. This guy was a school teacher before he became a Congressman. He served only 10 years...do the math at 174K a year that is 1.74 million BEFORE TAXES and household expenses. So how is he worth so much money?

Like I keep saying Dems and Repubs are all bad we need to get rid of all of them and if the new guys are bad get rid of them. Some will eventually get the message and quit spending and go to a flat tax for all!

andrefitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrefitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2011 at 11:18pm
President Obama discussed the debt ceiling in a White House press conference Wednesday. He was overtly critical of the Congressional Republicans who are unwilling to raise the debt ceiling and hesitate at elevated tax revenue. Obama suggested congress shout "address their sac red cows" and "get it done.". Predictable, responses to the conference have been split along party lines. The proof is here:Obama blasts Republicans on debt ceiling.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 9:31pm

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/28/news/economy/debt_ceiling_fallout_bpc/index.htm?iid=HP_Highlight

Read this. I would like to know what forum members from outside the US think when they read this. We see things like this but mostly on the news they spend all their time on fluff so everything mostly looks normal.

I will tell you what I think.

I think the USA is living beyond it's means. You are spending more than you have and debt is a bad thing - so cut your expenses and stop wasting money on crap you can't afford.

Where is all this money going anyway?

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Suzi10 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 5:56pm
I mean what do you think about our future.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 10:46pm

The USA is in a Secular Bear Market and a Post Bubble Economy - and the last time they came together was the Great Depression.

You are going into a Great Depression - which alwasy happen with massive debt.

You wasted money on crap to please the voters who must learn to take care of themselves.

Toxic debt is the problem from borrowing money to buy crap.

Stop buying crap and pay off your debts.

Then - according to Kondratieff, we can have a World War.

Your future is the future of the world - it is grim. We are all tied together.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Kilt2 Kilt2 wrote:

The USA is in a Secular Bear Market and a Post Bubble Economy - and the last time they came together was the Great Depression.

You are going into a Great Depression - which alwasy happen with massive debt.

You wasted money on crap to please the voters who must learn to take care of themselves.

Toxic debt is the problem from borrowing money to buy crap.

Stop buying crap and pay off your debts.

Then - according to Kondratieff, we can have a World War.

Your future is the future of the world - it is grim. We are all tied together.

*CRACK* Homerun!!!!

The crowd goes wild! KILT WINS, KILT WINS, Oh My God KILT WINS!!!

You're a Digger aren't you Kilt? I don't know how things are down under, but up here, us Yanks are now facing off against a really interesting situation! We're looking at more than half of our population is suckling at the government teet! I want to say we're at around 55% of our total population and they all are going to continue voting themselves money out of government coffers. Barack Obama's going to get re-elected specifically because of what he's going to say he's going to give all these people.

You can tell them all day and night that the easy money, milk and honey is over and they'll STILL demand that you give them money.

We had quite an interesting deal happen in Wisconsin. You've got the big labor unions and the leeches/moochers go crazy because a small fraction of their government largesse was getting taken away, but they were making nearly TWICE what an average worker in the private sector does! They were told specifically that the state didn't have enough money. Their choices were either to cut some of the luxuriant benefits or start firing people so the governor chose to cut some of the benefits. No matter what choice he made, they'd have freaked out and there simply was not enough money for both choices. At least some people got to keep their jobs...

The debts are never going to get paid off. Eventually we're going to default in a MASSIVE way and, mark my words, it is not going to be pretty. We may default if the debt ceiling does not get raised, but it's either now off a house,  or later off a skyscraper.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:44pm
Turbo, hate to tell you but the Repubs and Dems will keep printing money. We will eventually be paying 20.00 for a loaf of bread and if it gets really bad 200.00 for the same loaf. If we don't quit spending and go to a flat tax with no deductions for all people and companies we are going to be in real big trouble!
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 10:15pm
Turbo - yes an Aussie here (a Digger is an Aussie infantryman - but I took that as a compliment).

Things here are bad too - not as bad as our American Cousins (I have an American daughter and two American grandchildren)

Our Housing Bubble - even worse than yours is just turning sour right now and China buys everything we can dig in our mines - but they are in serious trouble and when they fall - as they must - we fall with them.

So we all go into the depression together - and will stay there until all the debt is sorted out and people learn to take care of themselves.

We are already in a depression, but Obama has tried to fix a problem made by debt and spending with more debt and spending.

My American daughter loves the man - so I try not to be too critical, he has accepted very bad advise.

So my friend, as a fellow conservative I say we have to ballance the books and only spend what we can afford - live within our means.

What worries me is that according to Kondratieff - there will be a world war.

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2011 at 12:17am
Digger is a term of endearment to U.S. servicemen.

I worked with a pile of Aussies during my last deployment and have absolutely nothing bad to say about them. We Yanks (As they called us) and the Diggers (As we called them) got along perfectly and could be put into the same units without any problem.

The Limeys, on the other hand, neither we nor the Aussies could stand to be around them for any length of time. They're just too hoidy toidy.

And I found that Vegemite comes in little packets, so you can take the taste of dried, rotten beer everywhere... ugh. I guess it was pretty good on a grilled Cheese.

Yes, Zer0 (Obama) is possibly the worst president we've yet had, and we've had some doozies! G.W. comes to mind as does Carter. I too am at a loss as to how he thinks we're going to pull ourselves out of a major recession by pushing ourselves further into debt, while raising taxes on the businesses that employ our workforce. It's no wonder that we're hemorrhaging businesses and jobs at an alarming rate.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 12:10am
I am familiar with the work of ND Kondratieff and I think his theory of the long wave is exactly right.

This mess was made by Clinton I believe and will take years to fix - only a war will sort it out - a real one.

Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 7:49pm
This debt situation is NOT going to get fixed.  Our dollar will collapse.

Suzi10 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 8:42pm
What will happen to mortgages on homes when no one can pay? Will someone come and tell us to get out?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2011 at 10:14pm
Kilt2 in today's situation people will not go for a "war" to cure our financial problems. People are not that stupid to support a war to get out of a depression. They were in the 1940's but not today.

This is going to get really nasty!
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Kilt2 in today's situation people will not go for a "war" to cure our financial problems. People are not that stupid to support a war to get out of a depression. They were in the 1940's but not today.

This is going to get really nasty!

People went for an asset bubble that was hot air - the Tech Bubble.

People went for a peak war - the Iraq War.

People went for the Plateau and the Housing Bubble.

People went for the SubPrime and debt bubble.

And now, as countries go broke, and Obama is spending like a drunken sailor and trying to solve a problem made with spending and debt, with still more spending and debt, the US is is a worse state than Greece, who has just been downgraded as "junk".

So seeing as people were stupid enough to do all that other stupid stuff I has listed above - all the Kondratieff Wave - then I have no doubt at all, that people are stupid enough to have a trough war just as they had a peak war.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people. The K-wave has happened 4 times in the last 200 years, and each wave had the same stages and a peak war and a trough war. The last trough war was WWII.

The next world war will be a doozy. People will be stupid enough for it, as they have been for everything else.
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 9:59pm
Chris Whalen: "Geithner Is Wrong! There Is No Downside To Not Raising The Debt Ceiling" (Video)
dailybail.com/home/chris-whalen-geithner-is-wrong-there-is-no-downside-to-not-r.html
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 10:07pm
VIDEO - Obama On The National Debt In 2007...
dailybail.com/home/?currentPage=4
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 4:05pm
Ron Paul Says 1.3 Trillion Dollar Debt Owed To Federal Reserve Is Not Real!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYUZvE3-Xwo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
quietone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2011 at 9:14pm

So Obama....Let's threaten and hold people hostage who have paid into the system but don't dare touch your agenda of progressive giveaway programs.
Got it.......Fear mongering.

Obama: If We Don’t Get a Deal, I Can’t Guarantee We Will Be Sending Out Social Security Checks on August 3rd

By Doug Powers  •  July 12, 2011 03:18 PM

**Written by Doug Powers

He could have said something like “If a deal isn’t made there will of course be a problem paying for Social Security in the long term, but in the short term I have many options as far as shuffling dollars around to fund high priorities, so I can say with confidence that Americans who depend on Social Security will still get their checks for the foreseeable future while we sort this out.” But Obama didn’t say that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Comments from this article.

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:49 pm, Truesoldier said:

Marc Rubio also pointed out that the Senate Republicans have crafted a bill that would prioritize payments if the debt ceiling is not raised, but admitted he doubt that Reid would allow it to come to the floor.

----------------------

Obama and his minions have stated that Social Security is solvent until 2037…thanks to Obamacare or something.

Yet, suddenly the “coffers” have no money for seniors and the military (this is the third time for this threat, can’t they do any better and actually hold a real old person hostage?). This emperor with no clothes has threatened this three times this year! Disgraceful. Shameful. Arrogant. Narcissist. Fool.

The GOP needs to shout this from every network (ok, FOX) that it is Obama who is lobbing empty threats at seniors and the military like a toddler in a tantrum.

-----------------------

On July 12th, 2011 at 4:05 pm, corkie said:

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:47 pm, John Deaux said:

So what happened to that lock box?

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:48 pm, Truesoldier said:

Marco Rubio had a great response to that on Rush today. to paraphrase what he said: seniors should be asking the President why can’t he gaurantee their checks seeing that the American taxpayer has never stopped paying social security taxes.

------------------------

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:38 pm, corkie said:

“I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven’t resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it,” Mr. Obama said in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, according to excerpts released by CBS News.

So Obama is saying that new debt is needed in order pay social security obligations? Or is he admitting that the federal government takes your social security withholdings and uses it for other purposes?

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:38 pm, Gem said:

Wasn’t this 'administration' just employing the ‘new tone’ and calling out the GOP for “holding a gun to America’s head” over the debt ceiling issue??

What the heck does he consider this…
    making seniors an offer they can not refuse?

Do progressives EVAH get tired of projection and doublespeak?

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:39 pm, John Deaux said:

Wow, that Scott Pelley knew to ask a question that would deliver a provocative response that should scare every senior citizen into calling their Congressman and demanding they capitulate to Obama.

Weird, huh? Almost like it was planned.

How about it seniors? Do you like being used as a tool by Obama? How do you feel about privatization now?

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:40 pm, corkie said:

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:29 pm, PurpleHaze said:

The Dems will stop the SS payments and blame the Republicans. The MSM will back them up.

Of course the MSM will back them up, but I’m not sure the American people will buy it. Everyone that gets a paycheck knows that social security is supposed to be separate. The American people will know that the Democrats are simply punishing seniors because they didn’t get to raise taxes.

On July 12th, 2011 at 3:42 pm, TooMuchTime said:

So Obama is saying that new debt is needed in order pay social security obligations? Or is he admitting that the federal government takes your social security withholdings and uses it for other purposes?

Bingo!

corkie, you get today’s Blue Ribbon!

• On July 12th, 2011 at 3:43 pm, Lindsay said:

Wasn’t this the big threat when they were going to have a government shut-down a few months ago? You know, seniors will die (Nancy Pelosi said?) and veterans and the military will not be paid if the government shuts down? Then the GOP caved.

Hostage situation. The GOP are consorting and negotiating with terrorists.

NO. GOP: Do not cave.

SEE CBS VIDEO

----------------------------------------------------

Obama told CBS today that he can’t guarantee that social security checks will be mailed out if he doesn’t get his way.

From the video:

President Obama on Tuesday said he cannot guarantee that retirees will receive their Social Security checks August 3 if Democrats and Republicans in Washington do not reach an agreement on reducing the deficit in the coming weeks.

“I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven’t resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it,” Mr. Obama said in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, according to excerpts released by CBS News.

Obama and democrats want to raise taxes to pay off his historic debt

---------------------------------------

Comments from article:

Is that so Mr. President? Please explain then how according to the most recent DTS the YTD (fiscal) amount paid out on Social Security is $469 billion, well below the amount collected from Federal Tax Deposits of $780 billion.

--------------------------------------

Will Tiny Tim stop the remittances to illegal aliens?

Btw, the debt ceiling talks began LAST NOVEMBER. Need I remind you which party had control of all three branches of government? Apparently it wasn’t high on their priority list. They were too busy GUTTING Medicare of $500 Billion.

Swish
    Penham View Drop Down
    Chief Moderator
    Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 12:13am
    All of a sudden we might not be able to send our seniors their SS? What a load of....

However this week at our DHS in Oklahoma they are giving away a ton of LIHEAP money, which is energy assistance. They are not just paying people's bills that are due, but if they don't owe the money they are giving them a credit of $250 to the electric company towards their future bills. $250 to everyone who qualifys, all those people who don't work, this wouldn't just be in Oklahoma, I am sure this is in other states too, since it's a federally funded program. My oldest works at DHS that's how I know this, she is thouroughly disgusted at having to qualify people for a credit on their electric bills, when the government is saying they are running out of money.

I could see the necessity for heating in the winter, but AC is a luxury.
    Penham View Drop Down
    Chief Moderator
    Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 12:28am
    This just irks me, the statement about not paying the SS. Ever since Obama came on board he almost immediately (that May after coming into office) increased Food Stamp benefits to single males, they used to be able to get them for 3 months if they were not working, now they can get them indefinately. So overall, I wonder how much that has cost the tax payers?

He changed Food Stamp requirements to, you no longer have to count assets such as property and vehicles to qualify. This happened at the same time as the other. So technically you could own 4 houses, 5 cars, lose your job, go apply for Food Stamps and get them. Not be required to sell any of your property or vehicles to try to help yourself first. You have no income, so therefore you qualify.

And we're giving LIHEAP credit of $250 to people's electric bill accounts. My daughter said some people were coming in and their bill was $60, so basically they get their electric bill paid for, for a little over 4 months compliments of the government.

It's no wonder the government has no money!
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 7:36am
    Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

This just irks me, the statement about not paying the SS. Ever since Obama came on board he almost immediately (that May after coming into office) increased Food Stamp benefits to single males, they used to be able to get them for 3 months if they were not working, now they can get them indefinately. So overall, I wonder how much that has cost the tax payers?

He changed Food Stamp requirements to, you no longer have to count assets such as property and vehicles to qualify. This happened at the same time as the other. So technically you could own 4 houses, 5 cars, lose your job, go apply for Food Stamps and get them. Not be required to sell any of your property or vehicles to try to help yourself first. You have no income, so therefore you qualify.

And we're giving LIHEAP credit of $250 to people's electric bill accounts. My daughter said some people were coming in and their bill was $60, so basically they get their electric bill paid for, for a little over 4 months compliments of the government.

It's no wonder the government has no money!

Hold the phone Penham!

Obama is fear mongering and nothing else. He is a total piece of BLEEP!

Remember that Social Security is *SUPPOSED* to be totally outside the scope of government use, thus: where is the money going? The fact of the matter is that Social Security currently takes in far more than they use, so they shouldn't have to stop payments one iota. Well... unless, of course, Obama and his fellow scumbag Democrats decide that they'd rather use that money for payoffs to the leeches... er their constituency.

Now he could technically stop paying the military, but if he does, he's going to have to figure out how to pay for his wars, in addition to Afghanistan. If he doesn't pay, he could very well face the military ignoring him.

Further, if they don't raise the debt ceiling, a VERY good thing if they don't, they'll have to start paying off the national debt. These Democrats have had three years of unrestricted power over us and decided not to tackle this problem until the eleventh hour? B as in "B" S as in "S."

Here's an idea to save money: remove Obamacare's two Trillion dollars from any and all budgets and we're halfway there.
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 2:34pm
    God forbid if the Undertaker and Chief has to answer a question or two without the benefit of a his teleprompter or rehearsed nonsense about FOLKS just wanting big government to work thing out, so they can collect their government cheese on time.

No yelling at Obama today!
    www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0711/shout_of_bounds_729191ad-6922-4221-8711-77a68d3802df.html

Some of the comments from the article above are classic!
    Penham View Drop Down
    Chief Moderator
    Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:10pm
    Oh I know it probably won't come to that and a solution will come at the last minute, but it irritates me that he would even "threaten" to do it.  Yes, I realize at the same time if it did happen the military would also not get paid, which would affect my daughter and son-in-law who is in the Navy.

I wonder if Food Stamp and Medicaid programs would still be funded if this does actually happen, I would hope not!
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 4:25pm
    What planet was this poll taken on?

Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal
    thehill.com/homenews/administration/171743-obama-public-sold-on-tax-increases-in-debt-ceiling-deal
    Elver View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 8:05pm
    The people are not sold on tax increases.  If you listen to CNN or other liberal media they'll have you believing it though.

Personally I think we'll have to cut spending & increase taxes, but they'd better PROVE that they can reduce spending before they hike my taxes 1 cent.  I'm also hoping that we don't raise the debt limit & force these a..h...s to figure out how they're going to cut spending.

They need to take every single federal agency & cut their budgets by 5% or more for starters.  Then they need to quit giving money to foreign governments & dictators.  Then they need to look deepely at all the waste & fraud in government.  Michelle Obama needs to get rid of all but 1 or 2 of her staff members.  Doesn't she have 20+ of them?  Congress & the Senate need to get on our retirement & health plans instead of their Rolls Royce versions.  Their elitist attitudes have to stop.  Lastly, we need to get out of all of these wars!  The U.S.really is an imperialist pig country.  (I am a U.S. citizen)
    Suzi10 View Drop Down
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 8:39pm
    Why not go for 40%. Schools could start 6 weeks later. Think of the savings in energy alone. Teachers could take a pay cut better than losing their job. Kids would learn just as much. Teachers could assign research projects on the schools websites. This push for more, more, more is just a way to control people.
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 10:19pm
    How about cutting off all the entitlement programs that the illegal aliens enjoy on our dime! Oh wait, B.O. Would never do that to his voting block once their granted amnesty.
    Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 8:12pm
    Guys I know some of these Senators and Congressmen they will come up with a last minute solution. NONE and I mean NONE of them will default they will not risk their "power" by getting people mad and not getting re-elected. All Dems and Repubs are all power hungry and they will not risk losing THEIR JOBS. They just don't care if 18 million Americans are out of a job.

Oh, by the way the solution will be short term not long term solution and they will make it look like both sides have given a little but I will guarantee it will be very little.

They have all spent our SS money that has be taken and over the years and now they want to say it is our fault. They have had years to come up with a solution. My Mama says, "What you don't see you will feel."
    johnpeterson View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnpeterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 11:08pm
    With the August 2 deadline for a conclusion on the nation's debt ceiling closer than you think, President Obama walked out on high-pressure discussions Wednesday stating "I've reached my limit.". The nation could face economic devastation if it defaults on debts and gets a reduced credit rating.Obama walks out of debt ceiling debate saying he has reached his limit.At this time, Obama is on the side with Congressional Democrats in opposition to Congressional Republicans. They are discussing the debt ceiling increase. The debt that the government is allowed to acquire before it must stop is the debt ceiling. It is extremely essential.
    Turboguy View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:59am
    Originally posted by johnpeterson johnpeterson wrote:

With the August 2 deadline for a conclusion on the nation's debt ceiling closer than you think, President Obama walked out on high-pressure discussions Wednesday stating "I've reached my limit.". The nation could face economic devastation if it defaults on debts and gets a reduced credit rating.Obama walks out of debt ceiling debate saying he has reached his limit.At this time, Obama is on the side with Congressional Democrats in opposition to Congressional Republicans. They are discussing the debt ceiling increase. The debt that the government is allowed to acquire before it must stop is the debt ceiling. It is extremely essential.

No, it's really not.  Tongue

They're going to downgrade the United State's credit rating no matter what we do. The Debt to GDP ratio is going negative at an alarming rate.

And what do we gain if the debt limit is raised? More inflation? More spending of money that we don't have? More foreign countries buying up our debt to later use as a weapon against us?

If we don't raise it, it'll force our government to live within its means and finally get responsible about our finances. Why even have a limit if every time we get close to it, we raise it again? That's like paying off a credit card with another credit card, and tomorrow paying off that credit card with yet another one. It's simply not sustainable.
    Kilt2 View Drop Down
    Adviser Group
    Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 10:35pm
    Turbo

Just where does all the money go?

Where has it all gone?

I can understand borrowing to pay for a war, after terrorists destroyed the WTC but other than that where has all the money gone?

Guests View Drop Down
    Guest Group
    Guest Group
    Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 10:52pm
    I'm not Turbo but all the SS money went to the General Fund it pays for all the foreign aid, all those people working in all those big buildings in D.C. and Virginia, all the pet projects Senators and Congressmen put into their districts, travel for politicians and all of the people who work for the governemnt.

We all pay federal gas tax...now do you see any federal highways being built...no...do you see federal repair trucks out on the federal highways doing repairs...no. So for every dollar we send in federal gas tax from the states the states get only 40 cents back. So where does the 60 cents go... D.C. is a shell game.

We need to get rid of all the Senators and Congressmen in the next election...Don't care if Dem or Repub replace them in each election cycle until they balance the budget!!!!
    Kilt2 View Drop Down
    Adviser Group
    Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 11:01pm
    I agree.

We put the polititians in and they abuse the privilage.

Here we have a red headed harpy called Gillard as our Prime Minister and the polls indicated she will lose by a landslide if she went to the polls now.

These people are put there by us, and we need to wake up that we voters must fix the problems and we can't do that by re-electing the people who made the problem.

Obama has tried to fix a problem made with spending and debt with more spending and debt. Is he really that stupid?

MeganI View Drop Down
    Valued Member
    Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeganI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 3:44am
    I also heard news about debt ceiling. This just proves that countries all over the world are experiencing financial crisis. The United States may lose its top-notch credit rating if the debt limit is not elevated and the nation is pressured to default on commitments. A downgrade in score will trigger a ripple in the economy impacting the finances of the average resident. Citizens may not even have the opportunity to use personal loans anymore if this ripple takes place.
    mrmouse View Drop Down
    V.I.P. Member
    V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 10:16am
    3 Reasons Why The Debt-Ceiling Debate is Full of Malarkey
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UosVYYMGsJ0&feature=player_embedded
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
      Share Topic