Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

El Hierro volcano---Canary Islands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TipKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: El Hierro volcano---Canary Islands
    Posted: October 07 2011 at 7:57pm
Hi everyone, wanted to know if anyone started a thread for volcano news El Hierro, Canary Islands.  If not I'll start with posting a chart of energy levels building up inside the volcano.  It's possible this sudden build-up will lead to a eruption and bigger earth quakes. 

FYI....in case anyone isn't familiar with the aspects about this story....basically since July of this year geologists reported an earthquake swarm at the El Hierro volcano.  Mostly between 1.5 to 2.9 Magnitude then they peaked to 3.0 to 3.9 Magnitude.  The number of earthquakes is already in the thousands since July. The energy level this volcano is harboring is rising every day and the Island is on alert for possible evacuation if things get worse.  

Now if you remember hearing about La Palma in the Canary Islands...well this is the site of a very big mountain?, that is cracked around one side, the side that faces the Atlantic.  There has been much debate about whether or not this thing can rupture completely and fall into the ocean and cause a massive land slide creating a catastrophic tsunami that could endanger our (U.S.) Eastern sea board and everything else around La Palma (Europe, Africa, South America).  Now El Hierro, if a large eruption and earthquake occur this could trigger (possibly triger) a land slide on La Palma which in turn could cause the landslide I was talking about before.  All eyes on this one folks.  Tip.

Here is the chart for the energy level:

Here is the link for the list of earthquakes for the Canary Islands and El Hierro:

If anyone needs an explanation of energy chart let me know I have a link that could help you understand it better :-) Tip 
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 9:42pm
Thank you for your post.  I just learned of this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone else heard of this.

This video is worth watching. 

Littleraven View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 7:21pm
Wow--thanks for the posts. I love monitoring these geological events!!

There's a Bad Moon on the Rise
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2011 at 5:29pm
Situation Update No. 15, October 10, 2011, seismic movement 4.3

A submarine volcanic eruption is taking place approximately 5 kilometres off the southern coast of El Hierro, the smallest of The Canary Islands. 

mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 9:21am
3/24/2012 -- New Mexico dormant Volcano VENTING STEAM -- Carrizozo Lavic fields
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL4Dv6SbQKc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2012 at 10:24pm
That's interesting.  I didn't know there were volcano's in New Mexico.

Not long ago I looked at the number of earthquakes measuring 4.0 and greater.  I put these into Excel & then made a graph.  It was very clear to me that these 4.0+ earthquakes were getting more numerous as time passed.

I can't remember the specifics of where I found this, but I think it was somewhere in here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic