Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Food Rejection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food Rejection
    Posted: March 01 2006 at 9:24pm
Some time ago I read an article by a physician who made a point that there needs to be enough variety in food, otherwise the body will start to reject it. I'm not sure if I'm making this clear, sure wish I still had the article/ I've been getting more concerned as I see how many people seem to focus on beans and rice. I don't mean to offend, I know money is a big issue.
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:37am
Diet fatigue will set in eventually.

Always store what you eat, eat what you store...

Include treats...Hard candy, popcorn (very inexpensive)...

nawty

p.s.  I've heard that children get fatigued quicker than adults, which seems counter-intuitive for the father of a 12 year old girl who would eat pizza 3 meals a day, 7 days a week....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:13am
I've often wondered how the pioneers did it with "just the basics", but they were a hardy people...

Food fatigue is a rather serious issue that doens't get enough coverage, it's the reason why we go down and buy all the stuff we buy to satisfy our palate.

Variety, taste and texture are what you're looking for.  Supplement with canned varieties of whatever you like to eat.  I hit the "dollar store" often to take advantage of food deals I wouldn't normally get, these are treats in my normal diet.

I've eaten a lot of beans, rice and wheat - and it's not recommended as a satisfying diet.  It will keep you alive, but you'll be hungry for variety.

Suggestions: canned tamales, corn beef hash, jerky, chocolate, manwich, burrtoes, tortilla shells (you can do a lot with tortillas) or make your own, canned meats, etc.
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 10:22am
Femvet:  I agree with your point, I have tried to do things a bit different as I am storing, first I will never buy what I do not eat, that is why I do not store a lot of canned foods.  I have baked like crazy variety of breads, whole wheat breads, rye, etc, I have also made our own beef jerky,,--this way I know the type of meat I am using and the quality-- I have pastas, frozen pizza dough,  pop corn, home made trail mix, dehydrated fruits, vegetables, apple pies, and eggs, yes eggs, you can freeze eggs ( check internet for procedures)  I have tried to prep but have not concentrated on buying ricen and beans, I have also planned for planting underground growing vegetables, potaoes, sweet potatoes, --where the bird poop is not easy to accesss the vegetables--  and an area bird poop prof for lettuces ( enclosed) 
I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:14pm

This depends a lot on the individual and the circumstances.

For six years, I ate a can of tuna, crackers, and an orange for lunch every weekday.  It simply kept in my desk drawer without requiring refrigeration and I never had to think about lunch, besides restocking every two weeks.  I was a busy professional with other things on my mind.  Never got old, because I wasn't going for something "interesting" to eat, just something to keep me from being hungry until dinnertime.  Admittedly, 5 servings a week isn't the same as breakfast, lunch and dinner (21 servings a week).  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that nature built this into us to encourage us to get a balanced diet.

In a pandemic, we will likely have all too much time on our hands.  Boredom will be a factor.  Food will become a primary focal point for the day, since it will be one of the few "normal" rituals we will be able to continue.  If the food is bad or repeated ad nauseum, it will have a decided effect on morale.

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 7:40pm
  Hi guys you probably won't believe this,but I need to know where you are buying your can tamales.  I can't find them.  I have tried Sam's Club, Walmart and the Mexican store in my area.  Thanks for your help.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 8:35pm

Femvet -

I gotta add, beans and rice are cheap and keep well, so they make an ideal staple to have on hand.  You can buy a 3-4 month supply of food in a heartbeat, not break the bank, and if the pandemic hits tomorrow - well, you may get bored but you won't starve.  A 3-4 month supply of these staples should probably be at the top of everyone's shopping list, who is just beginning to prep.

But you have a good point - it can't end there.  Buying canned and dry goods of the type you normally eat should gradually supplment and eventually supplant the bean & rice supply.  Once you have a 3-4 month supply of regular goods, you can consider your bean & rice supply your "last resort" food or your charity donation food. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic