Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Nat Geo Prepper Show on tonight (Tuesday)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nat Geo Prepper Show on tonight (Tuesday)
    Posted: February 21 2012 at 5:45am
Don't forget the National Geographic Doomsday Preppers Show is on tonight, 8:00pm CST. It's showing 8:00, 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00 here, so I am guessing they will show all the back episodes after the first new episode and maybe a repeat of the first new episode (just guessing on that, cause there has only been 2 episodes before tonights).
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 6:15am
So did anyone watch? If so what did you think about the lady preparing for the flu pandemic and delivering flu buckets to her neighbors in an effort to educate them and help her neighbors be prepared?
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 6:37am
Didn't see it.. Wife said today at 2:00 Anderson Cooper Show will be talking about people prepping for end times..
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 10:44am
I saw it, and I commend her for trying to help people by educating and preparing them, but I don't think I would be so willing to let a whole community know that I've prepped! I've helped family and close friends, and have bought extra of some things with plans to share with neighbors, but I'm not about to go door to door! That aside, they didn't really touch on anything else to stock like food and water...just masks, gowns and sanitizer! I hope she has other preps, AND A GUN!

The thing I found most interesting though was the fact that out of all the doomsday scenarios they have covered, the "experts" implied that a pandemic seems the most likely to occur in the next 25 years. I'm not convinced (after watching this sight for 7 years now) that the pandemic would be "over in 8 weeks" as they seem to think.

Anyone else see it?
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 4:12pm
I wonder if she has ever been to this site? She was from Utah and had a large family and is probably a mormon. Doesn't their church encourage them to rotate a stockpile large enough for several years. She probably did not want to show her food to the world.

I was also  listening carefully to the "experts" opinion. They did not use their standard "not very likely".

Did anyone notice the lack of the word Avian. It would have been a good time to share some facts.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 6:38pm
Anybody gona buy into Larry's hole in the ground?

The guy in buckskin was interesting. He had good ideas with the tomahawks and bird house alarms. He is a good father if he does feed them road kill.

The woman in Utah is a sitting duck. She needs to hook up with some good people and move to the country.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 9:08pm
I missed it last night, I had a meeting I needed to be at.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 5:13pm
They they have been re-runing the episodes a lot. You'll have another chance.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 5:38pm
If you have cable I get the re-runs on demand. You might get to see what you want if you have that service.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 6:12pm
There was a family on an earlier episode that gave me a lot of hope for people with yards. They were growing food everywhere. A man and his 4 grown children. The sons were turning old cooking oil into bio-fuel.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 10:27pm
I'll catch it this Tuesday. It seems as though they show the previous weeks show after the new show. Of course, the week I missed it they won't do that Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 8:56pm
My problem with this show is each prepper is concerned about one specific thing like EMP, Economic collapse, Yellowstone going volcano, etc... Most of us are concerned about H5N1 but I am prepping for any and everything I can.

Due to showing people who have such specific fears we all look a little nuts.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 9:23pm
Who looks nuts, hehehe. There was one lady prepping for the flu. I think it's interesting to see what others are doing/how they are preparing even if it is something different. How self-sustaining they really are food wise, as far as growing their own and supplies on hand, self-protection. Even if they are a little out there we might get some good ideas or there might be something we haven't thought of that comes to our attention.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 5:35am
It's on tonight 8:00pm CST.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 8:07am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

My problem with this show is each prepper is concerned about one specific thing like EMP, Economic collapse, Yellowstone going volcano, etc... Most of us are concerned about H5N1 but I am prepping for any and everything I can.

I think that whatever starts you prepping probably does define you to some extent, but if you then fixate on that one perceived threat it definitely limits what you're prepared for. It's almost like taking off the blinkers that most people wear just a little, but not all the way. That said, from reading everybody's posts over the months and years I'd guess most of us on AFT have tweaked our preps to some degree to cover more than just one emergency. Maybe I'm getting paranoid in my old age, but I see a lot more threats to our way of life that I did before I began to prep for a pandemic, but I guess pulling your head out of the sand makes it easier to see what might be on the horizon. Just got to get your head above ground first

Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

,,,showing people who have such specific fears we all look a little nuts.

I guess it goes with the territory - we think outside the box so it's inevitable that we're going to be labeled as nuts. By choosing not to be one of the sheeple living in a cozy little dream world where nothing bad could ever happen makes us card carrying members of a pretty exclusive club, and minorities like preppers scare people because of what we dare to believe. Start talking about really catastrophic things happening and you'll inevitably be labeled as one of those crazy doomsday people. Just yesterday, someone at work was talking about the Nat Geo show and poking fun at the people featured. I just smiled, rolled my eyes as if I agreed they must be nuts, and walked away because there's nothing to be gained by advertising the fact you're prepping to someone who probably will never get it
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 7:42pm

One of my 2 favorite "Little Golden Books" when I was a little girl was "Henny Penny". Funny how I knew to prep and save as a little girl, the people that I (and you) work with STILL do not know the value of saving and preparing. I guess  prepping is sortof like having a secret, even if you shared your secret...they wouldnt listen. I think the best way to reach someone is 1:1, with little tidbits of info. Maybe leave some interesting articles on why to prep in your works breakroom Thumbs%20Up Maybe some pic from the Great Depression or the Spanish Flu. Pics are worth a million workds.

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 9:20am

Just yesterday, someone at work was talking about the Nat Geo show and poking fun at the people featured. I just smiled, rolled my eyes as if I agreed they must be nuts, and walked away because there's nothing to be gained by advertising the fact you're prepping to someone who probably will never get it

HA... Same here jacksdad! Co-worker asked me if i seen the doomsday preppers..He said that they were all nuts...I had to bite my tongue!
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 6:26pm
The guy with the seeds did act a little nutty. But he did go to the heart of the matter by choosing seeds to stockpile. Imagine trying to join a group post shtf and being asked, "What can you do for us? Why should we take you in?" 

I have a few bags of seeds in the freezer. I always buy extra and save some.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 8:42pm
I am going to put seeds away but ones that I can really use. My question is has this guy ever farmed? I am going to increase my growing area this year with some new containers to grow more vegies.

I really want to make a potato cage but don't know where I want one so that is for next year...if we are still here ...LOL!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 8:44pm
Coyote - if only they knew

Suzi - extra preps are never a bad thing. I have enough rice to feed an army, or at the very least barter for something I don't have.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 12:34pm
Anybody watch last night? Notice how many doomsday preppers are worried about economic collapse?
The guy with the teenage army was interesting. He was right about defending the house from the outside.        
The coulple from Canada should not be involving the kid so much. That kind of thing can affect a child.

The couple in the missle silo I had seen on another show. Maybe unusual houses. They seem a little kooky but harmless. Hope they can stay that way.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 3:30pm
Dang, missed it! Will have to wait for On Demand to watch it.

I too am worried about economic collapse especially if Obama is re-elected. That is Why I posted the topic "Where To Invest Money". I am investing in food and stuff for our bug out bags. Just purchased two tents two, 0 degree sleeping bags, Esbit cooksets. I am almost finished and ready to pack the bags. I want them ready by the end of the month.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 8:52pm
Anybody watching the prepper show? I thought the Dr./Psychiatrist prepping for bird flu was interesting. He wasn't presented as a nutjob or anything, although his family really wasn't on board with him, he was prepping anyway. Been prepping for 10 years for bird flu I think it said, he got interested in it when he studied infectious diseases.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 3:28am
Wonder if he has ever been to this site.
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 7:04pm
I never knew school buses were so strong. I was shocked by that part of the show.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 8:57am
I know the school bus thing was pretty wild.
SusanT View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 2:27pm
I'm glad he reminded me about the fish antibiotics... I checked my expiration dates and they were WELL expired...AGAIN!

I can relate to him as well. My husband thinks all the efforts I put into this are just a waste of time and money, and he just tolerates my "hobby". However, with the threat of solar flares now threatening to knock out power he's a little more tolerant than usual.   We watched the Doomsday Preppers show together the other day, and he thinks most of them should be locked up in an institution (on the other hand it makes me look quite sane in comparison). Anyone else have a spouse that thinks you're going overboard?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 10:32pm
My late hubby thought I was crazy until he got into an elected position and saw what plans the Government has made for lots of deaths. After that he put in cabinets for food storage and quit complaining that I was nuts and about how much money I spent.

The Doc's wife thought he was nuts but she should have known better than anyone that having food and meds made sense with her Asian backround.

I have go and get some fish antibiotics. Has to be better than nothing!!
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 9:27pm
Anyone see it last week? Another Fluby, this one in heels. She was selling a water purification bucket using a dialysis type filter. Overall it was a good show. The first guy was from Texas and worried about China. There was also a couple on the verge of a financial and nervous breakdown from prepping and worrying.  Also a couple burying junk silver everywhere on their property.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 10:40pm
Yep, the woman in heels was a hoot. She said she would chop the heels off if she needed too...LOL. This woman had never had a broken heel and tried to walk in them...not easy.

I still say you can't eat silver or gold. Take the lesson from Russia in WWII when there were sieges and no fuel, or food. I would rather have fuel, food and water than silver.

You know what I see on this program is a lot of people storing can goods that have an expiration date. Sorry but where some of them are storing they are not rotating their stock on a regular basis. Still say that is why dehydrated and freeze dry is the only way to go.

It seems that some of these TV prepper people have "prepper businesses" and are trying to make money off of recognition on this program. Turns me off and makes preppres look like they are either off the nut or just trying to make a buck.

To me most of these people are looking way down the road to use this food and much of it will not be usable.   
Suzi15 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 1:31pm
There must be a prepper gene. Saw a show today, must have been a rerun but I barely remember watching it when it ran first. It was the one with Peter Lawson and his 50 ft tube bunker.
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 4:58pm
I agree with the earlier posts, that the producers seem to be trying to "pigeonhole" each prepper into one and only one threat.  Quite a few preparatory measures speak to more than one threat.
Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic