Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

how many people do you expect to feed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how many people do you expect to feed?
    Posted: March 03 2006 at 10:10am
 i thought i would start this thread .......who..... besides who lives with you now or how many of your extended family and friends   ... for  me its 11 people,   i expect to be the one that feeds them,, where are you drawing the line in your mind , at what point can you say to someone i have x number of people to feed i can't help you    good luck to all roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 10:17am
I am prepping for two, but I might get 4 so I am a little behind.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 10:52am
I have me and my 3 kids ages 14..9..and 8..and B/F..if he can make the 7 hour drive down to get here when TSHTF.....and of course we have the puppy(springer spaniel and pom,she weighs 6 lbs) and the kitten (3 lbs) and the big ole fat cat(Valentine weighs a ton)..2 cockatiels(they sing pretty) the deago...and a hamster...oh yea and we have 2-5 gallon aquaruims and 2-10 gallon aquaruims....more pets then people...lol
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:07am

In my household its me, my husband, a shiht-zu, a bichon frisee, then my son and his girlfriend, and my daughter 16, may be her boyfriend too.  My sister is thinking about joining us but she is in another country..so the numbers are growing.

I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 11:38am
Three people and a dog... hopefully.  If my in-laws show up that may be a problem on many levels.  I figure after a month or so, I'll be praying for sweet death. LOL
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:25pm

Two people and 13 cats (!!!). But my sister-inlaw and her husband live close by and her two college-age kids will be coming home, I'm sure.

She has quite a bit of food and has storage room; I'm working on her. Her attitude is - once I know it's here I'll go to Costco. Well, HELLO, so will everybody else!!!!!!!

she has the ideal set-up: big home by a major river, swimming-pool, her own garden, HUGE storage room, wood-burning fireplace in both the kitchen and living-room.

She actually did suggest that we move in with her, if TSHTF. What about my kitties?? Maybe I'll move them in her garage. Hmmmm

striper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:49pm

I expect 3. Anyone else that comes to be fed will be shot.

I have in-laws living close by and a sister-in-law living close by. I will expect them to prepare and survive on their own.

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 1:03pm

I was just thinking about this today, ha!

Folks with family nearby are in a good position (provided the people have common sense and get along for the most part).  If you are the only one prepping, think about the extended family.  Maybe they have things you don't - like a chainsaw, a pickup truck, guns - that will be useful if the pandemic pans out in a worst-case-scenario sort of way.  Maybe you will just happen to be the one who thought of food and water.

Having several nuclear households combine to live and work together has the benefits of "economies of scale" for instance, it's more efficient to cook one meal for six people than to cook 3 meals for 2 people each in terms of energy and dirty dishes, etc.  If personal safety becomes an issue, it might be wise to have someone up all night, armed, keeping an eye and ear out.  Between them going to bed late and someone else getting up early, that pretty much covers the bases.  Call that "posting a watch" if you want to feel "tacticool".  Let's face it, two people trying to provide this sort of coverage will be dragging by the 3rd night.  Six people taking turns will fare much better.  Think about manpower - two people at 3 different houses digging their own latrine, versus a crew of 6 digging a single  common latrine.

Americans especially have fallen into an "every man an island" frame of mind.  That's why we drive cars instead of carpooling or taking public transit.  It's a luxury that many of us have come to consider a necessity.  If times get tight and dangerous, we may find it's a luxury we can ill afford.

The pitfall here is "common sense" and "get along".  Cockatiels drive me bananas.  Cooped up in a house with the constant "screeeeech!!" at earsplitting intensity I would be getting really irritable after about day 3.  The cage would have to go outdoors.  Would that cause the person who owned the bird to become sullen or antagonistic?  What about smokers/non-smokers?  Some people need a certain amount of "space", will they get claustrophobic and cranky if they don't get it?  What about people who act without thinking - say you invite your sister-in-law and her kids to hunker down with you... will you wake up late some morning and discovered she's let her kids out to play with the neighbor kids "because they were getting hyper, and besides, what's the harm?"  Will she freak out when you insist the kids now have to be quarantined in a tent in the back yard until your're certain they haven't been exposed to the flu?

Rozz View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 1:34pm

I didn't know this site existed till today.  I am preparing for 4.  I keep adding things to my list when I think I'm ready...I'm not.  I too had a realization that more together would be better.  I sent an email out to my entire family and asked them to please take this serious.  I scheduled a meeting at my house on Monday night to discuss a family plan, so we can unite and get through this as a team.   There are too many of us to all be together at one house, but I would like for all of us to be accounted for.  I truly think it will eliminate all of the panic that most others (the unbeleivers that this is going to happen) are going to go through 'when' this hits.  I am the only one in my entire family taking this totally serious, including my children and spouse.  I'm hoping after our meeting and reviewing all of the facts and information I have gathered to this regards they will get with the plan.  I do know and believe, more importantly than being prepared for this event; they all need to make serious decision about their eternal life.  Wish me luck. 

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 2:20pm

Loved your post bruss!

I have considered many of these points and have shared my honest opinion with those who I told to prep b/c they would not be welcome in my home because I may have many myself to contend with. Told them to "go prep and don't come a knock'n"! "You have the opportunity to do it now" .....my concience is clear.

Right now it's just hubby & me but will get my son from college before I do anything else. (or send "Cookie" aka hubby). I told him he could bring home any of his friends who may live across the country. May regret that one if many take him up on it. 

Anyway, I have made a prep partner in our long time friend, Tom, who's single,a bodybuilder/Gen. Contract. who can build, make, repair,move, lift ect. anything!! He and the cookie built our extensive preps storage shelves in the basement - quite impressive. Tom can require alot of food but worth his weight in benefits. We have the cookie's cousin (whose diabetic -type 1 and has no $, alone/divorced) probably coming,told her to get her meds and she listened for a change. Then there's my best friend & her family. They're 5 althogether and her & her oldest (18) are both type 1 diabetics as well. (they have tons of meds, I made sure) She also has a 16 y.o. son & a 12 y.o. daughter. I told her I will take them all but only after they (& Tom & the cookie's cousin too) stay at home for 3 weeks under thier own quarintine. Anyone should be able to hang out for 3 weeks. I think it's after that when it's gonna get sticky. Tom lives the furthest so if he wants to quarentine here with us it's ok by me. During those first three weeks we will all wear masks when hanging together and maybe eat in solitary shifts when wearing a mask is quite impossible.

The cookie is a smoker (been trying to quit since we met) so I will get patches but not cigs cause I'm an ex-smoker and can't breath around smoke at all. If he wants cigs let him prep 'em is my thinking. Too much money for crap that's slowly killing him anyway. We will definitely need to prep more booze!

I'm going on and on here but the only other people in my life (actually I have literally dozens of friends and close aquaintances who may come my way for help but I have to draw the line in my mind somewhere!) are my aunt/uncle, their 3 kids w/2 spouses & their 5 kids = 12! They don't live that close and I have told them to prep but I know it's just not in their nature. This group is really an open-ended question for me. They will not be coming to stay here but they could end up needing our assistance for sure. Since I have taken this on all by myself b/c I seem to be the only one that is concerned. This fact only makes me more anxious, not mad. People I love who I talk to do hear me but are only moderately motivated to make preps b/c it requires too much change in lifestyle. I don't think they are bad or stupid but just not capable of this way of thinking. Can't teach a fish to fly I guess. Just unfortunate. :>{

Thanks for listening to me rant.

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 3:21pm

I've discussed this with my husband before. It's just the two of us and lots of animals. However, we belong to a community that is prepping for the bird flu and actually anything that might happen. We have 20 people living in this community, including children. We are all contributing to the food preps but we are on our own as far a personal safety, lights, water, etc. We also have to prep for our own individual needs.

We had a community meeting a while back and we decided to allow outside family members a chance to get here before TSHTF so to speak. Our total of 20 could go as high as 40 or so. Hopefully all of those people will have some preps with them.

I have discussed the BF with my family and they don't seem to see any urgency in prepping for it. I just don't know if my door will be open to them since they have the idea that somebody else is going to take care of them.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Margo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 4:29pm

Fourteen!!!! A clean supply of water has me the most concerned. There's  simply no way to prepare for that.  Part of me thinks I need to continue prepping, but part of me thinks, "Do I want to survive in a world where most of my friends, relatives and neighbors don't survive?"

cisco View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:17pm

my husband and me, 2 dogs, 2 friends and a step-mom and her dog.

cisco

let's hang tight, tough, and together!
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 6:20pm
Two points:

If you discussed your preps with anyone, expect company if it gets ugly.

In a stressful situation you will eat more than you think, and probably planned for, so when estimating your preps, estimate low. 

nawty
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 7:45pm
Nawty you are so right, I went from sitting at the computer and eating my way through a bag of whatever last week and then this week I went almost 3 days w/o eating a thing! I am at a very high stress level now and we're still waiting for real news. My stress wouldn't be so high I think if I knew others were preparing as well. That is what is bothering me the most I think. You are right about the company too, I have tried to enlighten too many people but the only thing I can do now is plan on boarding up if things get really crazy (I'm going shopping for the wood this week) and park the cars at my friends house (we keep them in the driveway and I will need the garage 4 my dogs.) Oh yea, I forgot to mention them; one 60# 12 yr old and 2 10# fluffy things. I've gotten kibble for only about 2 months but I will be getting more this week 4 sure. One of my little ones is on a lot of meds but I will just have to use sparingly and get what I can afford. Very pricey stuff to stock. The vet will be one of my last stops before buggin' in.
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:51pm

Two, My girlffriend and I humans and 3 cats. Her cats are not very big eaters so we are buying only 100 pounds of cat food.  We are buying more meat and canned fruit too.  The big problem is of course my parents and sister and her kids.  They are unprepared for this crap and we are not going be living with them. I think the only issue is the  water supply. we dc have the 35 gallon tank of water. We do think that the power will go out within a month of the flu outbreak. At some point the supply of energy won't last and it could turn nasty.  We do need to keep our heads screwed on right. we have enough for us and us only.....

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 10:15pm
hi to all, all of your messages , reflect what i have been thinking. i prep after 911, brought a 1200 dollar generator , to run my whole house , came in handy during the blackout , i ran my house and the house next door saved her freezer full of food. all my immediate family and a few freinds showed up  and the drill went into effect like butter , i was at work but my  kids knew what to do.   but then i was thinking short term disaster, now i'm looking at a green house, long term water purification sytem, solar help with energy , root cellar,wood burnig /cookstove ... my family is on board with all of this. the problem we all face is ,the turning away of people who didn't prep. save ourselves or starve with the rest of them????   i think it will be better to hid the stash you have, if you can,   good luck to all ....roxy
dc01 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 12:19am

I just joined tonight.  My first problem was water and I posted that and this is the second.  I can't afford to stock up enough food for all the people who are going to need it if this pandemic comes.  And I am going to feel terrible knowing I have food and my friends and neighbors don't.  I realize that there is nothing that I can do about it; but I have always been taught to share.  But people are not taking this seriously.  And I think if I really start screaming from the rooftops STOCK FOOD & WATER people will remember that and come to my house when they run out.  It is a serious moral and ethical problem I have never had to think about.  I have been looking survival food (just add water) and found three companies, 'Alpine Aire', 'Pleasant Hill Grain', and 'The Survival Center' that seemed to have good freeze dried food.  Has anyone dealt with these companies before?

DC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 11:45am

I am preparing for ten months for three people ,one dog and a cat.

I realized I will need 3 cans a day a plus instant rice ramen noodles spices. and meds paper plates anda generator plus batteries. The water is a killer 3 gallons a day for 200 days.   I have fifty s cases of water botles and twenty large water bottles juice cans  plus I will fill large platic garbage cans for household water,  plus small pool with lid.  Smaller one for the rain water.   Even the dog will get fresh water with his own small pool.We get alot  of rain  and i love rainwater for washing my hair.

I figure on the last days I will be filing water containers .    

Last week I mentioned my prepping toa male friend and he said  I  I will come to your house if this hits   .  One was a grown man thinking he would just beg for food from me if this hits.  .  I was floored I couldnt beleive anyone will insult me for my plans but then think I will support him .  I told him I charge him five bucks a can .  

I now have stopped telling people of my prepping   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 1:52pm

3 people, no inlaws, 6 months....unless I have to do the roadtrip to hell and stay with the inlaws in the back woods sticks up north then 5-10 folks minus me because I will volunteer for ambulance work if the fl emt-b lic transfers.

Marjo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 1:36pm
Just me and my 2 dogs.
Perhaps my parents (80 and 79 yo), who live nearby.
My mother says she is too old to prep, if it is their time to go they'll go

I've been asking friends, co-workers and neigbors 'shouldn't we  stock up?', but they still don't take things seriously.
Haven't told anyone about my own stash.... just to be on the safe side.
 A woman alone should be careful at times like this

Marjo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 9:23pm

My whole family is here in AZ, we had a family meeting a few months ago to plan...of course I've done the shopping (99% of it) but I'm not complaining - I'm the one that has the means to do so and I love my family.

Let me see I actually haven't counted....started out with 14 of us and we rethought it through and decided we'd kill each other after a few months, so we split into groups of 2, so there will be 7 in each household.  My aunt and her kids are staying at their house, as is my other aunt.  I've been very blessed with my family being receptive about this - there are 2 of us staying on top of news and reporting to the rest of the family. 

Yes Marjo - be very careful...maybe you should prep for 2 and if/when if does happen invite a very dear friend to stay.  You'll be safer in numbers.

I'm sorry about your parents - that is hard to accept, as long as your mom is at peace....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic