Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Bird flu cases rise to 64, and 14 deaths

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird flu cases rise to 64, and 14 deaths
    Posted: April 15 2013 at 6:04am

Symptom-Free Bird Flu Case Suggests Wider H7N9 Spread

Bird flu was found in a 4-year-old Beijing boy who has no symptoms of the infection, health authorities said, suggesting more people may be catching the H7N9 influenza virus than reported.

The first asymptomatic H7N9 case was discovered by health- care workers searching for possible cases, the Beijing Municipal Health Bureau said in a statement on its website today. The boy's parents are poultry and fish sellers, and their neighbors across the street had bought chicken sold by the family of a 7- year-old girl whose H7N9 infection was reported two days ago.

The boy is under medical observation. The case suggests some H7N9 infections may be going unrecorded because of a lack of obvious symptoms. Almost all of the 64 people diagnosed with the virus so far have been extremely unwell, with complications extending to brain damage, multi-organ failure and muscle breakdown.

"With asymptomatic cases around, I think everything changes," said Ian Mackay, an associate professor of clinical virology at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, in a telephone interview today. "There has been a spike in pneumonia cases that have drawn the health officials' attention, but the virus may have been going around as a normal cold."

The boy's infection was picked up as part of contact tracing -- a process whereby relatives, neighbors and others known to have been in contact with a confirmed case are screened for the virus. The boy was one of 24 people tested in connection with the 7-year-old girl's infection.

Sick or Not?

"It's great that the authorities are showing some evidence of prospective screening of contacts, not just asking people if they are sick or not," Mackay said. "It's essential that lab testing of contacts is carried out as soon as possible to give us some information about the denominator: how many cases are positive for this virus, whether they’re symptomatic or not."

The parents of the 7-year-old patient live and sell poultry in the Shunyi district of northeast Beijing. Her case was the first in northern China, demonstrating that the virus is circulating across much of the country’s east.

The girl is recovering after treatment at Beijing Ditan Hospital Capital Medical University, the official Xinhua News Agency reported yesterday, citing the city’s disease control and prevention center.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-15/symptom-free-bird-flu-case-suggests-wider-h7n9-spread.html

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 6:14am
To date, only 14 deaths reported, yet only 1 has recovered.

China is clearly under-reporting deaths.  They're yet to provide any details on those hospitalized.  Are they on ventilators? Is their condition improving?  Why no update whatsoever? 

China is still playing their same old games of misleading and hiding info - while the WHO continues to praise them.  The WHO is starting to scare me with this crud.  In a severe pandemic, not sure who I will trust more between China and the WHO at this point.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 10:40am
Remember the guy on "Dantes Peak" who wouldn't put the town on alert because he'd been doing his job so long that he'd stopped being a scientist and become a politician? I think the WHO has forgotten what their initials stand for and are playing the political card way too much, although in fairness they are dealing with China and they know they'll close the door on them if they feel their sovereignty is being threatened. Once this crosses China's borders - and it will - we'll know what this virus is all about, especially if it ends up in a country with experience of H5N1 who appreciates the value of shared information. Until then, it seems everyone will have to tiptoe around China to avoid incurring their wrath. I guess the WHO figures that the misinformation China is giving us is better than nothing at all. It's the mushroom approach - keep us in the dark and feed us BLEEP.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Once this crosses China's borders - and it will - we'll know what this virus is all about, especially if it ends up in a country with experience of H5N1 who appreciates the value of shared information.

In my opinion Hong Kong or Taiwan (China Taipai) would problable be much more forthcoming with information.  While I would like more information I don't want to see it spread.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 2:50pm
who is in Charge of the WHO......Mrs CHAN, ???????nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 10:48pm
Hey Jacksdad. I love Dantes Peak and I agree with you with everyone worrying about the "politics" more than they worry about the world's health and the spread of this flu.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Tonino View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 11:16pm
Completely right Jacksdad. Sorry guys I do not post a lot any-more cause I do not want mi mind to get obsessed with this flu.

I already worry too much under normal circumstances.. What I know is that we will get informations when it will be already too late; that's the way its working in our societies nowadays.

I also  worry a lot about my own situation, as i have wife and child here in HCMC, and if i have to make an emergency escape it would not be possible to bring them with me, as procedures to get a visa are so long and difficult to obtain; so i am stuck in a difficult situation to handle. I do not want to be a coward and let my family deals with a pandemic on their own... So I guess I am stuck here now, I cant believe about it.. If it gets worst soon i am in deep ****, my 16 months child, my wife...Tonight she just could come back back from work, and having a cough and then fever, and that would be it...Just so sad and depressed..

Good day to you all.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by MelodyAtHome MelodyAtHome wrote:

Hey Jacksdad. I love Dantes Peak and I agree with you with everyone worrying about the "politics" more than they worry about the world's health and the spread of this flu.

Me and my kid have watched that movie so many times - definitely one of our favorites Wink
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Tonino View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 11:33pm
 But I will do my duty any ways. If something happens here in VN and as long as I have enough strength to report it I will report it.

I just want now to spend less time on the net.

Cheers.

Tonin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic